PDA

View Full Version : Red Scarf Project NEW Deadline December 15th!!

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Hello, my charity knitting friends! :muah:

Last year, the scarves we knit overwhelmed the organization that distributes them to orphans who have aged out of foster care.

So, this year, we are instructed to only knit a certain number of scarves, to avoid the "scarf storm" :teehee:
(They received over 15,000 handknit scarves last year!!!)

Here's the website with the details:
http://www.orphan.org/index.php?id=40

And here is NormaKnits blog about it:
http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com/now_norma_knits_2/2007/04/i_was_in_error.html

They are accepting scarves from September 1 through October 15, 2007.
(Update for 2008 scarves: Deadline is DECEMBER 15th)

Here's a general guide for making your scarf:

Unisex
Make it so either a guy or girl could wear it. They don't have time to look at each scarf, and decide who should be receiving it. If it's in a non-gender-specific color, it works either way.

Soft
No laceweight, super-chunky, or mohair yarns. NO FUN-FUR!!
Use DK, doubled fingering-weight, worsted weight, or light bulky yarns.

Warm and Comfy
They want the scarves to be substantial, drapey and warm, but not heavy and rug-like, and not scratchy.

Simple, Nice Design
No stockinette please, because the scarf will roll in on itself.

Help with Shipping to Students
I think if we each gave a dollar or two, along with our scarf, that would help to defray the postage costs of mailing the scarves to the students. (Just put a couple bucks in an envelope marked "Shipping" in with your scarf.)

Here is the address for mailing your scarf when it's ready:
Orphan Foundation of America
Attn: Red Scarf Project
21351 Gentry Drive, Suite 130
Sterling, VA 20191

If you can't commit to making a scarf, you can still help by sending a donation to OFA at this link: http://www.orphan.org/index.php?id=9

stirsmommy
07-17-2007, 07:41 AM
dd and I have been waiting for something like this. Do you have a yarn and pattern suggestion? Thanks

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Last year, I made a scarf using two strands of soft TLC yarns held together throughout, and used this pattern.
http://www.ballostringdesigns.com/free/knit/bensscarf.html

lissalue
07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I am going to try to make a few, and I called my friends who helped out on the Dulaan project too. I will let you know when I hear from them.:cheering:

kellyh57
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, shoot. I have 2 waiting to be donated that are super bulky. I guess I'll find another organization. I think they make great scarves and aren't too bulky, but what do I know. I just walked 2 miles to school everyday in -0 temps for 2 years in college!

Kelly

Mystery_Gyrl
07-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi,
I just finished my first scarf for The Project. I want to try and knit at least two or three. I'll try to post a picture later. Can't believe they received over 15,000 scarves in such a small time frame. I can just imagine how the room(s) must have looked (the great red sea). Tsunami . . . hmmmmm. Hopefully, with an earlier deadline the scarves get to be used during the mid-winter months.
Katrina

suziehomemaker
07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I have one braided cable scarf ready and waiting to go for this project. I saw on Norma's blog that they are asking everyone to register - where's the link to register?

It's probably obvious somewhere but I'm missing it.

McKnitty
07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Sandy,

Thank you so much! I really like that pattern. I am going to a Stitch n' Pitch baseball game in August and have been looking for a project to take with me. I don't want to take anything too large or complicated. I think this will be perfect!

Please count me in for a scarf. I had to laugh when I read on the website that they request you send no more than 5 scarves -- aren't knitters great?

Since this is my first post in the Charity Knitting forum, I want to say 'hello' to everyone. I have been viewing KH for the past two years. I finally decided to join when I saw the Charity Knitting forum. I'm so happy and excited about this forum!

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I am going to try to make a few, and I called my friends who helped out on the Dulaan project too. I will let you know when I hear from them.:cheering:
Cool! :thumbsup:

Well, shoot. I have 2 waiting to be donated that are super bulky. I guess I'll find another organization. I think they make great scarves and aren't too bulky, but what do I know. I just walked 2 miles to school everyday in -0 temps for 2 years in college! - Kelly
Hold onto those scarves. I'm SURE we'll find a place to use them!
:wink:

Hi,
I just finished my first scarf for The Project. I want to try and knit at least two or three. I'll try to post a picture later. - Katrina
Woo Hoo! :happydance:

I saw on Norma's blog that they are asking everyone to register - where's the link to register?
It's probably obvious somewhere but I'm missing it.
I haven't seen one yet. Maybe it was just a thought, and they decided against it. Time will tell.

Since this is my first post in the Charity Knitting forum, I want to say 'hello' to everyone. I have been viewing KH for the past two years. I finally decided to join when I saw the Charity Knitting forum. I'm so happy and excited about this forum!
How neat! Thanks so much for joining!! It warms my heart to know that the charity knitting section caused you to join. I asked Amy if we could possibly have a section for charity knitting, and she agreed right away! I was so glad, because it was getting hard to find our charity knit-alongs in the middle of all the other messages. Now, we have a place all our own. Welcome to the forum, AND to our charity knitting section. :hug:

suziehomemaker
07-18-2007, 09:20 AM
OTN: Sockintine Socks, Ankle Socks, Slipper Socks, Willa Top, Baby Blanket, Baby Burial Outfits, Baby Sweater, Pure Silk Tank, Ballet Camisole, HP Scarf.

Shandeh - Knitting just a few things now? My Lord! Now that's a WIP list!
:knitting:

Shandeh
07-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Shandeh - Knitting just a few things now? My Lord! Now that's a WIP list!
:knitting:

:teehee: I'm actually working on more than that!
(I have a short attention span....can you tell?)

suziehomemaker
07-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it's wonderful! You have plenty of projects to choose from and never have to work on something that you don't feel like doing!

I have to keep at least 2 going so I can take a break if needed. I can't wait to add this lapghan to by WIP list!

McKnitty
07-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Do I understand correctly that the scarf doesn't have to be red?

Shandeh
07-22-2007, 01:16 AM
That is correct. You can make it any color you want, but don't use a gender-specific color like pink.

The scarves are for guys and girls, and need to work either way to make things easier for those distributing the scarves to the orphans.

HollyP
07-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok you have twisted my arm:lol:. I keep reading this thread and now I am comitting to making a scarf or two or three! Off to dig through my stash and find a non gneder specific yarn. I think I have a nice navy blue in there somewhere:thinking:.

Karrying Kolor
07-31-2007, 11:25 AM
I think our offerings should get plenty of use...I believe they are being sent out as Valentine's care packages...Lot's of nippy weather left to go around in February! ;)

I'm really happy to be a part of this!! I chose the 4x4 woven by Sarah White as my base pattern (Pic to come...It's only 2 1/2 feet long so far)

My son is including a gift card with my scarf and (thanks for the idea, Shandeh), postage to help defray the cost of shipping.

I feel all warm and fuzzy :hug:and it's got nothing to do with it being 85 degrees here in NY today! LOL

~K~

Shandeh
08-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Is everyone finished with their scarf? That September 1st deadline is fast approaching!

I actually cast on my scarf yesterday, so I hope I'm not too late! :help:

(BAD Shandeh! BAD Shandeh!)

suziehomemaker
08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm using one of my stashed FOs so I'm ready! You can do it Shandeh!

McKnitty
08-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Is everyone finished with their scarf? That September 1st deadline is fast approaching!

I actually cast on my scarf yesterday, so I hope I'm not too late! :help:

(BAD Shandeh! BAD Shandeh!)

Uh-oh! I thought the deadline (to be received) was Oct. 15th. I have started my scarf but I've had to take a rest because my hands/wrists are really hurting. I had 3 projects going at once and I really over-did it trying to finish. Now I'm behind on all 3 projects since I haven't been able to knit in several days.

Do any of you know of a quick cure? Or is no-knitting the only thing that helps? I've tried heat, cold, and different ointments but only get temporary relief.

Shandeh
08-25-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry you're in pain, McKnitty.

I think the only thing that really works is REST. :pout:

I have pain in my left wrist all the time, because it never gets a rest. Computer time, Knitting, Piano, Organ.

There are also remedies if you do an ergonomic study of your environment. Sometimes changing to a different chair helps. Your arms should be free at your sides when you knit (I think).

McKnitty
08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Thank you! I'm trying to give my hands rest but it is hard to do since I'm on a computer almost all day at work (and here I am typing away on KH).

I'm guessing it is the 2x2 ribbing that got me. I have heard that can be hard on your hands/wrists, especially if you knit English/throw, which I do.

suziehomemaker
09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Has everyone started mailing their scarves in?

I was so good. I got everything ready to mail out and had the address all set. Then I noticed that I neglected to weave in my ends! Ugh! I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to that.

Anyway, I will weave everything in tonight and get mine in the mail tomorrow morning.

We've got from now until October 15th to mail them in!

Shandeh
09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh, I'm SO glad to hear that! I thought I had missed the deadline!

suziehomemaker
09-06-2007, 09:15 AM
I just put mine in the mail this morning but I forgot to write up a nice card with the care instructions! I am so absent minded this time of year . . .

Since the deadline is October 15th can you update the title of this thread? We might be able to get a few more knitters involved.

McKnitty
09-06-2007, 01:01 PM
We've got from now until October 15th to mail them in!

Thank goodness! Is everyone making the scarf 60-inches? I think I read that on the OFA website. Anyway, I'm at 53-inches right now.

However, it may take me another week or two at the rate I'm going. Since my wrists are still bothering me, I've only been able to knit for about 10 minutes at a time. But I am determined to finish this scarf!

BarbRude
09-06-2007, 01:51 PM
I knitted two scarves, the irish hiking and farrow rib, both scarves went in the mail Tuesday and cards and gift cards to Starbucks. It was fun to pariticipate this year.

McKnitty
09-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Mine is done! I will mail it next week. I did a 60-inch long scarf in ribbing and a dark maroon color. It took me much longer than I expected because my hands and wrists got very sore from knitting too much (on mutliple projects). However, I am so excited about this scarf because it is my first project using Continental knitting!

Since my wrists were so sore, I could only knit for a few minutes at a time. and was worried that I would miss the deadline for this project. I had read, or heard, somewhere (perhaps Knitty Gritty) that it is a good idea to know more than one way to knit so that your hands don't get repetitive stress.

So I decided to take a couple of days to practice Continental knitting, and I picked it up quickly. For this scarf, I started out switcing back and forth between Continental and English knitting. This probably wouldn't be a good idea for a project that gauge is important, but I did my scarf in ribbing, which can be very forgiving. I can't tell which portion of the scarf is Continental or which is English.

However, I decided to finish the scarf with Continental knitting because doing ribbing was quicker and the transition between knit and purl stitches was so smooth.

Now that this scarf is done, I think I will take some time off to rest!

feministmama
09-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I want to knit this

http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/scarves_belts/Connections_Red_Scarf_Project_240-1.html

I'll probably use Encore

knitknut
10-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I just wanted to bring this thread back up to the top as a reminder that the deadline is quickly approaching. I'm almost finished with mine and then I'll post a pic!

feministmama
10-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm still not done! I gotta get it in gear. The scarf I'm knitting connections from Knitting Daily is so curled up. I'm going to have to block it really good which is probably gonna take a few days. or I could crochet up the sides of the scarf to make it lay flat more. Hmmmm.......we'll see

HollyP
10-07-2007, 09:17 AM
I mailed my 2 yesterday but I forgot to take pictures :doh:I was just so excited to finally be finished and get them in the mail. I used a really pretty navy blue and autumn red both were Simply soft. I did them both side by side at the same time on a really long circular needle. The red was a simple cable up the middle and the blue was a basket weave.
They were fun to do. I kept thinking about who might wear them and how they probably hadn't had a ton of hand knits in their lives. It just made me feel all warm and gooey inside!

Shandeh
10-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Way to go Holly! :cheering:

I'm still working on mine.....I know....I'm late!

knitknut
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, here is my red scarf that I'm sending today. I going to try to make another one over the weekend to get it out before the deadline! I just love the idea for this cause.

Shandeh
10-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Knitknut, that's BEAUTIFUL! :heart: :inlove: :heart:

McKnitty
01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I checked the website today and there is a very touching 'thank you' on the main page, lower left side of page. Also, there are a few pictures posted on the Red Scarf page. The students have big smiles on their faces!

I'm so glad I did this, and I want to do it again the next time. Does anyone know if they always have it at the same time every year (September thru October)?

McKnitty
06-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I checked the website and it looks like the dates for the next Red Scarf project will be between September 1 through October 15, 2008.

It will be here before you know it, so I thought I'd post this in case you want to get started or at least start thinking about it.

jdee
06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Do the scarves have to be acrylic? It might say on the website, but I can't find it if it does. I have some burgandy wool in my stash that would be very nice.

McKnitty
06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Do the scarves have to be acrylic? It might say on the website, but I can't find it if it does. I have some burgandy wool in my stash that would be very nice.

Last year I used a worsted weight acrylic. I think the main thing they are looking for is something soft. Here is what the website has for yarn:

"Yarn: Preferably DK, double fingering-weight, worsted weight, or light bully yarns. No laceweight, super-chunky, or mohair yarns as there are many people who find mohair too itchy. The yarn should be soft. "

McKnitty
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
jdee - I was looking around on the website and there is a message and pattern from Lily Chin. The pattern has this:

Materials: Lily Chin Signature Collection “Gramercy” (100% extra fine superwash merino wool) - the official yarn of the Red Scarf Project of the Orphan Foundation, 127 yds/50g - 5 balls. Knitting needles size 6 or size to get gauge.

Surely wool must be okay if the 'official' yarn is a superwash merino.

jdee
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Oops! My burgandy has so mohair in it. But that's ok, because I have a skein of Woolease that's a red tweed. It will make a nice scarf for someone. It looks like I'll only be able to make one, because I've got so many other projects going. I'm making a prayer shawl for my niece, HAP rectangles, plus I've started Christmas gifts. But I really wanted to make at least one.

suziehomemaker
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
It's only July but I don't think I'll have time to make one this year. I have two large projects that I'm working on and I hope to have them finished by September. I may have to go with the donation route this year! Cash works for everyone!

McKnitty
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Cash works for everyone!

Absolutely!

jdee
07-05-2008, 09:06 PM
According to the link above, This year's project is now closed. Did I misread? Looks like I may have to wait until next year.

desidiva
07-06-2008, 11:52 PM
According to this site http://orphan.org/index.php?id=40
the "projected" donation period will be between September 1, 2008 and October 15, 2008.
This sounds like a lot of fun. I love that you can submit notes or giftcards. 'Happy knitting' to everyone participating.

McKnitty
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
According to the link above, This year's project is now closed. Did I misread? Looks like I may have to wait until next year.

This year's project will start in September:

"Dates for the next Red Scarf initiative are projected to fall between September 1 through October 15, 2008."

This is on the right-hand side column under 'Red Scarf Project FAQ'. Please note that they will only accept scarves during that time.

Mystery_Gyrl
08-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I've just recently been to the OFA Red Scarf Project web site and the send in date has been extended to October 31, 2008.

McKnitty
08-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm so glad to hear that the deadline is extended for this year. I'm almost finished with my non-red Red Scarf. I wanted to do something different this year, so I decided to try crochet and I'm making it in blue and gray.

I don't know enough about crochet to know whether or not I'm doing it correctly, but I'm having fun and the scarf looks good, so I'm continuing on!

Is anyone else currently working on a scarf?

jdee
08-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm in the middle of one. I'm happy for the extention too.

McKnitty
08-28-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm in the middle of one. I'm happy for the extention too.

:hug:

luvmykid28
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I just found this thread and I am very excited. I just started knitting a couple of months ago. I can't wait to send in a couple of scarves.

McKnitty
09-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I just found this thread and I am very excited. I just started knitting a couple of months ago. I can't wait to send in a couple of scarves.

:hug: Welcome! This is such a wonderful project and we are so happy to have you join us.

jdee
09-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I've got my scarf finished, and will try to get it sent out the first of next week. Hopefully. Thanks for letting us know about this project. I really enjoyed it. Maybe I can get more than one knitted next year.

luvmykid28
10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
:heart: I finished my scarf...All I have to do is make out a tag and get it in the mail. I really enjoyed making this scarf. It helped heal me. I had my son on Aug 11 and he only lived 5 hours. I thought about him and the person that will be wearing this scarf this winter and it really helped begin to heal my broken heart. Thanks Knitting help I'm glad I found you...[ATTACH]50262

Shandeh
10-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Beautiful scarf, and lovely story! :heart: :heart: :heart:

McKnitty
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Has anyone checked the website lately? If I'm reading this correctly the deadline has been extended to Dec. 15, 2008.

"The submission period for the next Red Scarf initiative is set for September 1 through December 15, 2008."

I finished my scarf several weeks ago but I started on another project and just forgot to mail the scarf (shame on me). So, I'm glad I have more time!

McKnitty
10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
:heart: I finished my scarf...All I have to do is make out a tag and get it in the mail. I really enjoyed making this scarf. It helped heal me. I had my son on Aug 11 and he only lived 5 hours. I thought about him and the person that will be wearing this scarf this winter and it really helped begin to heal my broken heart. Thanks Knitting help I'm glad I found you...[ATTACH]50262

Beautiful scarf! Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad you joined us. :hug:

Shandeh
10-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Has anyone checked the website lately? If I'm reading this correctly the deadline has been extended to Dec. 15, 2008.....
Yes, that is correct! Thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup:

According to the Norma Knits (http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com/red_scarf_project_2008/) blog,
"While scarves have been coming in steadily, the OFA tells me they are not quite where they had hoped to be by this point in October. So get knitting, everyone!"

hortonx5
10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
What a great project! I haven't been to the forum in quite a while, so I just saw this one. I'm so glad the deadline has been extended. I'll get started on this asap!

Shandeh
10-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Welcome! :hug:

desidiva
10-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I have been knitting furiously for the past few days trying to get my scarf finished before the Oct 31 deadline. Nice to know that I have a little more time.