PDA

View Full Version : The best way to learn to do colorwork?

stirsmommy
07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
What I want is the knitpicks telemark ski sweater. What I don't have is any experience using more than one color except for stripes. How did you learn? Is there an easy cheap/free pattern that I can learn on before embarking?
Thanks

of troy
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
just do it!

i wouldn't start with a sweater, but maybe a hat, or headband, (there are lots of free patterns for hats and headbands, i have one on my blog, and there are lots of others available if you search google)

the hat or headband should be knit with a similar weight yarn as you will use for your sweater (think if it as an over sizes swatch)

Learn the technique on something small.. then go on to knit your sweater.

stirsmommy
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I am definitely starting smaller and have noted your pattern. At this point I am even afraid of the headband. I hope to start conquering the fear soon

Sara
07-18-2007, 05:03 PM
The best way to lose the fear is to just do it. I mean the headband, not the sweater. You'll feel so proud when you have this new skill and then you can go on to bigger colorwork projects.:happydance:

of troy
07-18-2007, 06:03 PM
its only yarn! if you mess up, you can unravel.

i learned color work when i was young (age 9!) and too stupid to know it was supposed to be scary or hard.

i did pretty good too, for a first effort.. (but even then, i saw mistakes and flaws (mostly gauge). i still find i need to go up a needle size when knitting fair isle..

in June Archive of my blog there is a fair isle hat i knit with Paton's classic merino. normally i'd use a US size 8 needle for that yarn.. but i knit the hat on size 9's and the gauge is still tighter than i normally get on size 8's.

the hat is stretchy, and the pattern doesn't pull in (or corregate) but the gauge is WAY different.

this is why i think its important to knit a big swatch (a 20 inch head band is about equal to a sweater front or back.. )

keeping your knitting loose , and making sure you knit the right size is very important so a big swatch is a good place to start!

bah
07-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I just started my first item, I'm doing double knitted squares to make an afghan for my husband. I haven't finished the first square but I've caught on pretty fast and it's lots of fun. That's the only "colorwork" way I know how to knit right now.

Braden
07-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I started off with one of Alice Starmore's Fair Isles, :oops: . I think it was Mara. I don't know how many times I ripped that dang thing out, but it was worth it. I remember substituting Harrisville Shetland for the Jamieson's called for. It was about a year and a half after I started knitting.

Chrissie
07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Try the Fake Isle hat from Magknits or the Center Square Hat from Knitty.....both are really easy introductions to colorwork.

redwitch
07-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I learned on Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts, free pattern on her blog and a close post has tips for beginners. Check out her Anemoi Mittens pattern too. I would absolutely recommend the mitts to anyone as a first SC project.

Jan in CA
07-20-2007, 01:46 AM
I learned fair isle here.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm
Then I started making up my own little patterns for hats. ;-)