PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for Pet Name -- Update 7/29 - She's Doing GREAT!

auburnchick
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Well, I'm at it again...

My dd and the little girl she babysits sold lemonade yesterday using a sign that stated that they would donate their proceeds to our local animal shelter. So off we go with the money, a new bag of dog food, and a couple of other items...

And I've just fallen in love with a little female stray that just got dropped off yesterday. They don't know what kind she is, and a look at the dog book doesn't help. She's white, possibly three months old, and might weigh ten pounds. She has a couple of brown spots...one around her eye and others elsewhere. But she's mostly white. They wouldn't let me see her up close (in case the owners walked in and thought I was taking "their" dog), but I don't think she's got very big paws...hopefully she will stay under 30 pounds.

She won't be available to adopt until Saturday, unless her owner comes to claim her. I'm seriously, seriously thinking of adopting her...much to my dh's chagrin. After all, we just got the rats... But he likes her looks...

Anyhow, what names do y'all like?

FYI...my other two dogs' names are Aubie (cause we're Auburn fans) and Pele (as in the famous soccer player...he's my dd's dog).

I'm kicking around the names Mia (as in Hamm...famous female soccer player) and Daisy.

What'cha think (other than I'm tenderhearted but crazy)??

Mariblue
07-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I like Mia. :thumbsup:

JessicaR
07-18-2007, 09:19 PM
How about "new giant pain in the ass?" :think:

Or just how about some pics?!

auburnchick
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't have any pictures. They have her in a cage that is enclosed by another wire fence that people have to stay outside of.

I don't look at my animals as pains. They have all brought so much joy to my family's life. I can't imagine not having them.

JessicaR
07-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I hope that came off as sounding like the joke I meant it to be :shifty:

threesmom
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I like Daisy!

I have a Barnum and a Bailey ... because it's like a circus, and a Reba (I think like McIntyre because she's orange, but we didn't name her).

And if I take the stray at the nursery, I think I'll call him Claude. No reason, just Claude.

Jen17
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I met a man and his dd the other day at the park with a new golden puppy they named "Bruce". I thought that was cute.
I thought if I ever got a bassett hound I would name him "Fred", I don't know why, but that it sounds cute.
Hard to name without seeing pictures!
Jen

auburnchick
07-18-2007, 10:40 PM
I hope that came off as sounding like the joke I meant it to be :shifty:

Oh, you're fine. I'm sorry I got defensive. I just know that three dogs sounds like a lot. :muah: :hug:

Hygiene Mama
07-18-2007, 10:41 PM
All of our dogs (we've only had 3) have been named "Buddy", we just really like that name.

I really like my aunt and uncle's dog's name, "Trudy".

My dh had a dog named, "Kellie", growing up.

I like both of the names you've picked too, hard decision! Good Luck!

dakatzmeow
07-18-2007, 10:45 PM
i REALLY like daisy.

Skater
07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I like Daisy or Mia. Daisy sounds cute, and Mia sounds sophisticated.

I have a Barnum and a Bailey ... because it's like a circus.I had Barnum and Bailey (cat brothers) a long time ago - they would tumble like acrobats.

stagebear
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
mia is cute.
i always liked scout for a female pet (as in to kill a mockingbird)

auburnchick
07-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

My daughter really likes the name Mia. I still think Daisy is cute. I'll have to go by and see if I can take a picture of her tomorrow...just so y'all can see what she looks like.

Dh is still unconvinced that we need another dog. I have until Saturday to convince him. But, he's taking dd out of town to a soccer practice for the weekend. Dare I????? :teehee:

debinoz
07-18-2007, 11:30 PM
I like Daisy just because I used to have a Daisy. I also see nothing wrong with having 3 dogs... mainly because I HAVE 3 dogs... The only other female we've ever had is Spooky. Named that because she has one brown eye and one blue eye. (We also have a male dog with a female name, given to him by the shelter because he was such a big "Sweetie")

JessicaR
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Nah, three dogs doesn't sound bad at all. We'll see if the two right now ever work it out and then maybe think about a third one here.

I must admit, I was just looking to get a "thanks for the joke" but seems I make people mad more then smile on here.

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey Jessica,

All is really okay. I'm sorry I was sensitive. Maybe I'm pms'ing. You've got to understand that I deal with a 15yo's bad attitude daily...my nerves are a bit frayed these days, and what's often meant as a joke is taken too seriously.

Please forgive me. You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, it sounded like something Mason would say! We always get a chuckle from his dry sense of humor...eeerrrrr...I mean his charming wit. ;)

:hug:

JessicaR
07-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks for explaining, :hug: back at you. I don't think my type of humor translates well when typed :rollseyes: Oh well

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 12:21 AM
I accept your humor (and you) just as it is (you are). ;)

jjminarcik
07-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Dh is still unconvinced that we need another dog. I have until Saturday to convince him. But, he's taking dd out of town to a soccer practice for the weekend. Dare I????? :teehee:

Of course you dare! :teehee: I mean, really, when you get the new little bundle of joy home, do you really think your DH will make you take her back?? No way! I don't think they like to admit it, but I think the men are softer than women when it comes to animals. :shrug:

I'm not good with coming up with names until I see a picture. . . so I'm waiting. . .

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Of course you dare!

You, my dear, are gonna help get me in trouble, eh? :teehee:

We're supposed to go out of town next weekend (soccer tournament). My daughter suggested taking her with us and <gasp> sneaking her into the hotel room. I just got my hotel confirmation from the team mom, and when I looked at the hotel, it said, "pet friendly." Yeah! So, we'll save a few $$ on boarding, plus I just would not have the heart to board her after just getting her.

::::::::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::

Pictures coming later...son and I will make a drive later on...

Sharly
07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Mmmm....How 'bout Tiger? :think:

War Eagle!!! :)

Kaydee
07-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I love Daisy, its so cute! How about Abby or Molly I like those for dog names.

candicane
07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
If I were getting a female dog... I like Maisy and Sadie.

Candice

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Mmmm....How 'bout Tiger? :think:

War Eagle!!! :)

Well, we've already got an Aubie. Dh wishes she was a boy so he could name the dog Barkley. But it is something I thought of.

And a War Eagle back at 'ya! :thumbsup:

Riss
07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
My favorite movie growing up was The Ugly Dachshund (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061135/). The Great Dane in the story was named Brutus. He had no idea that he was a Great Dane, because he grew up with a whole pack of Dachshunds. :D

So we named our Boston, Brutus.

Sharly
07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Awww... I really like Barkley! That is too cute! I have a female cat named Barny, so obviously, I wouldn't let gender hold me back on that one!

If you wanted to keep an AU theme, "Shug" would be cute!

VictoiseC
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I envy you! I wish wish wish we could get a dog but we have 2 cats and our big girl (Toisie) simply would not allow it.

Remember that name DaisyMay? Why don't you call her
DaisyMia! Then as time goes by you can use whichever you feel like!
I named my cat Etoile after Star in french but it came too be too difficult to yell all the time so it got shortened to Toisie.

My boy cat is Paolo. Hope you husband changed his mind... that dog sounds adorable.

orcoastknitter
07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I like Molly, Maisy, Ginger (almost used that name for my puppy).

I have two dogs (Jake & Greta) and three cats (Minnie, Oreo, and Cookie). I never owned so many pets at one time. Growing up I was only allowed to have one cat and when that one died, no more.

I remember when I went and adopted Oreo & Cookie. I was only to adopt one (Cookie), but the shelter was having a buy one, get one free special. So I picked out Oreo and had the shelter hold them while I went and did some errands. I called my Dad and told him about the second cat and there was silence on the end of the phone.. no comment, nothing. I told him if he didn't want me to have the other one I would just adopt one. He said "two?" and I said "yes". He finally agreed but was still hesitant. Once I got home he saw how cute they were and the rest is history. Now he claims Oreo has his! HA!

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Went home from work (thank goodness I work part-time), and took my son with me to see her. The "boss" allowed the other gal to bring her to the office for me to see. What a cutie pie! And, they are going to let me get her tomorrow afternoon instead of hoping that I'm first in line on Saturday morning!!

:cheering:

So, here's what you've all been waiting for...the pictures I took today!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02360.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02362.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02365.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02364.jpg

Isn't she just adorable?! Oh, and she was obviously mistreated because she has sores on her back from a severe flea infestation (that took three flea baths to get rid of). But she was affectionate and wagged her tail when we were visiting with her.

LibraryLady
07-19-2007, 04:59 PM
After seeing her adorable face, I'd have to vote for the DaisyMia choice!

LL

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Daughter is starting to like the name Molly. But we're so torn...being a soccer family. Mia would really go with Pele, but she's soooooo cute...Molly would fit so nicely (as would Daisy, which I still like).

Oh man...I'm going to have a hard time waiting until tomorrow afternoon!!!!

Sharly
07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
I know I keep pushing this, but you know, Sugar ("Shug" for short) does fit her!!

She is precious!! Almost unbearable amounts of cuteness!!! She sure deserves a loving home!! :heart:

Arielluria
07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Oooh! I can't wait to see pictures.
The cutest name I ever saw for a white dog was "Q-tip" :D
:flirt:

Arielluria
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
:muah:
Oh! I see the pics now! I can see why you couldn't resist. I also love the name Bailey.

knitwit88
07-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Please forgive me. You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, it sounded like something Mason would say! We always get a chuckle from his dry sense of humor...eeerrrrr...I mean his charming wit. ;)

:hug:

LOL, he suggested bringing beer to my camp! I'm way underage! :clink:

And I like Daisy! What a cute doggy!

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 06:15 PM
We're totally leaning toward Molly now. The more we look at the pictures, the more she looks like a Molly.

I broke the news to dh just now. He's putting up a "token" fight, but I think he knows he's lost the battle. He's putting up a tiny bit of resistance to her traveling with us next weekend, but she'll be in the car with us.

Oh, and we just got back from the pet store. Dd bought her the cutest collar and small chew toys.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::

:passedout:

Ingrid
07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
She reminds me of the RCA dog. Nipper. http://www.videointerchange.com/images/Nipper3.jpg

Mariblue
07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
After seeing her pictures, I think Molly suits her really well. She's a cutie, that's for sure!

auburnchick
07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Too cute!

debinoz
07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
After seeing the picture my girls and I decided "Molly" fit the best.

JessicaR
07-20-2007, 12:16 AM
AWWWW what a cutie!!! Molly is cute, I like Sadie as someone mentioned earlier. What about Molly May?

Jan in CA
07-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Awwww she's precious!

Kaydee
07-20-2007, 09:31 AM
She's soooooo cute!! I can see why you just couldn't resist that face, I would've fallen in love on the sopt. I think she does look like a Molly after seeing the pictures, and my second choice would be Daisy.

cftwo
07-20-2007, 10:17 AM
What an adorable little dog. I know she'll be well-loved. Just see what name she responds to at this point!

PaperGirl
07-20-2007, 05:46 PM
That is one ADORABLE pup! She reminds me of a fluffier Max...(my dog.)

I like Mollie for the name....her fur is so pretty!

LibraryLady
07-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Well? :shrug:

Did you get her? :pray:

LL

Dangles
07-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Auburnchick, that is one cute dog =)

jcmom
07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I just read that sad kitten story and then saw your pup. Thanks for the upper. I gotta vote for Daisy even if you've already decided. I love her. We found our dog on Petfinder and she's the best dog. I can't imagine why anyone didn't want her except that We needed her. Enjoy your new family member.:hug:

meearnol
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I love the name Molly! She looks like a Molly to me, too.

Of course, I might not be the best person to ask, since the last 2 cats I've named ended up as Stinky and Doodoo. :teehee:

Doodknitwit
07-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I like Daisy.. a wild flower you would pick............ aaaaawwwwwwwh
she sounds so sweet .. I think they know when they are rescued and appreciate their home :blooby: :hug:

auburnchick
07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
She's home!!!!

Boy, am I exhausted!

It's a good thing the people at the animal shelter told me I could get her this afternoon. They had four people ask about her today. They told them to come back tomorrow morning. :teehee:

She's chipped and everything! She started wagging her tail the moment we got in the car with her. We could barely keep her in the buggy when we went to the pet store to get her name tag.

Oh, and we decided to name her...

Molly

My other dogs went nuts when she got here. Pele (the one in the following pictures) is (was) the youngest...my dd's dog. He actually took to Molly quite well. Aubie (not pictured) did not do too well, snapping at her quite a bit. I had to keep them separated for a while. They are doing much better now, but I have to keep an eye on Aubie because Molly is so tiny! And feisty!!! She played with them quite roughly from the moment she saw them. Too cute...except that her head is TOTALLY wet by the time I put a stop to the playing. So she plays and pees...about every five minutes and everywhere. Here comes the fun!

Oh, and one yuck thing...she has worms really bad. I'm a bit irked that the shelter did not tell me this. I called the vet's emergency # when I saw it because I've never had a dog with this problem. :ick:

Anyhow, we are tired but thrilled. Thank goodness for crates...nice break for everyone. She's sleeping real good right now. ;)

Here are the pictures. I'm off to finish my last question on my last final for this term. Starting tomorrow I'll have a nice two-week break from school (not from work, though).

Thanks for all of your help with the names! :muah::muah::muah:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02368.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02369.jpg

KnittingNat
07-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Congratulations on the new baby-dog! She's adorable! I wish i had the space and the money to add a dog or two (Though a dog and 2 cats are definitely a lot to handle!)...I hope she will get along with your other dogs. For worms you need to get pills from the vet. I think it's one pill and then another after a few days. It's really great of you to take her in. The trouble is we can't take them all from the shelters... :hug:She's so cute!!!:heart:

Arielluria
07-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Molly is absolutely adorable! I have 4 dogs, so I shouldn't be envious.....LOL! But I am! Kiss her on the nose for me :teehee: and please post more pics and/or on an online album.
:flirt:

dustinac
07-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Congrats!! Molly is a cutie :blooby:

threesmom
07-21-2007, 11:07 AM
She's just adorable! I wouldn't have been able to resist her either. And she totally looks like a Molly! Congrats!

sara_jayne
07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
She is beyond adorable!!!! Molly is a perfect name!

Just from looking at her I can tell she has some Jack Russell Terrier in her, which is a breed near and dear to my heart! She'll be a smart one! :heart:

auburnchick
07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the nice words everyone! The first night went great! She slept from 12-5 in the crate and then woke up ready to play. I crawled into my dd's bed, and she actually went back to sleep for two more hours. Yeah!

I bought stuff from the pet store for her worms...poor vet had to deal with me calling their emergency number. I usually don't panic, but I didn't know if she could be around my other dogs. I've since read up on them. I think her flea problem led to her worm issue. The good thing is that there were no worms when she did her business this morning. Perhaps the shelter gave her a worm treatment before she left.

Anyhow, here are more pictures.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02384.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02383.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02400.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02389.jpg

marykz
07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
the cutest dog ever!!!!! yay! I'm sure veryone will get used to each other after a day or two. and the other dog(s) will get Molly doing her thing outside in no time! congrats!

Kaydee
07-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Boy is she cute! And it looks from the pictures that she's blending with the family. What a lucky family to have three dogs!! I've been doing a lot of researching about getting a dog so I get excited when I see others who are getting puppies!! Good luck with Molly!

JessicaR
07-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Are the other dogs liking her? Mine are still trying to work it out :rollseyes:

snowbear
07-22-2007, 12:50 AM
*pets new puppy w/ big soft paw......

awwwwww she is sooo cute... no wonder there was a line for her..

I'm so glad Molly found her home w/ you...

Give her some love from the bear...

:heart:

orcoastknitter
07-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Very cool. :cheering:

My older dog was scared to death of my puppy when I brought her home it took about three to four months with close supervision for them to get along. Of course, the age difference of 6 years didn't help.

Welcome home Molly!:cheering:

auburnchick
07-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Are the other dogs liking her? Mine are still trying to work it out :rollseyes:

Hmmm...well, Aubie, our oldest one (going on eight years) is a bit aggressive, but she's coming around. She thinks Molly is a snack. Pele, who is nine months, is having a blast. He's just a bit bigger though, so he's playing a little rough.

I had them all outside with me yesterday morning while I worked in the yard. We have several areas that are just dirt, and with the big dogs slobbering all over her and then pawing her with their dirty paws, she was pretty messy. They were good with her though...much more calm.

I just hope it doesn't take three months, like orcoastknitter's dogs, to get along!

Doodknitwit
07-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh a new baby!! She is too sweet!! Love the brown spots..

Sharly
07-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi Nathalie!

She is precious! Congrats to your family, and to Molly!!

JessicaR
07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should ask orcoastknitter about her (or his) experience. Mine are just bugging the crap out of each other, still.

sugarfunpouch
07-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Zoe! That's the name of my dog!

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Defintely, I love the name MOLLY!!!

She is definitely Jack Russell Terrier, maybe mixed, maybe not!

Regardless, what an adorable little girl!

Indygirl
07-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I like the name Mulligan. In golf that means second chance. You are giving him a second chance at life:heart:

auburnchick
07-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Mulligan is a great name! It would be perfect for a male!

Molly is doing okay. She's had a couple of health issues that we are dealing with. The worm issue is getting much better, but now she has developed a respiratory infection. I rushed her to the vet today to listen to her lungs. We're going out of town tomorrow, and she's been getting worse each day. He diagnosed her with kennel cough, gave her a shot to dry her up a bit, and prescribed antibiotics. I'm off of work for almost a week, so she'll be getting lots of TLC. I hope to have her nearly recovered by the time we get home.

Thanks again for all of the support. We are absolutely in love with her. Dh is surprising us all by how attached he has quickly grown.

Indygirl
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I don't know why I was thinking it was a male.
Hope she gets better soon.

REVS
07-25-2007, 07:37 PM
:cheering: Congrats on the new family member! :cheering:
I really like the name Molly, it suits her well, too. :thumbsup:

Isn't it funny how men just are total flip-flops? My DH goes from opposed or VERY critical beforehand to totally attached less than 24 hrs after the dog is home. And he's done this three times now! Two foster dogs where I had to be the one reminding him that they had to go on to their final homes -- and one that's ours to keep. :heart::heart::heart:

Don't be too concerned about the kennel cough - she's still a puppy, so she's still building up her immune system and will get over it pretty quickly. She'll be better in no time with antibiotics. You should see HUGE improvements within the first two days. Worms are pretty typical, too, our local shelter gives wormer, flee meds and kennel cough vaccine to all dogs that come in.

Have fun with the pup - and happy bonding time while you're off!

auburnchick
07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks y'all! I think the shot the doc gave her is working well. She seems to be feeling better...well enough to have quite a few accidents tonight. Dh was livid, but all it took was a wag of her tail and all was forgiven. :teehee:

Wish us luck on our trip. We're envisioning pit stops every hour. Oh well...we'll have a good time no matter how long it takes us to get there.

vaknitter
07-28-2007, 08:54 PM
:cheering: Congrats on the new puppy and how wonderful of you to adopt her from a shelter. :woot: I am a huge fan of the SPCA and that's where all my pups have come from. Just added a 6mon old boxer mix to our family not to long ago.

When we were introducing her to our 12yr old dog we were advised to give him(the old fart) lots of attention and treats whenever she was around so that he would think she was wonderful. When Daisy is put in her crate, Spencer gets a treat too. Daisy does her "potty" outside, they both get treats. I think you get the point.

Best of luck and hope everyone starts to get along soon.

auburnchick
07-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks! Molly is doing really well. Her kennel cough is getting better, and the worms are gone! YEAH! The trip to NC went very well. She slept most of the way and had no accidents. She's the hit of the tournament. We've been taking her with us to the games, and everyone (including the team that beat us today) loves her. She's sleeping okay...much better when in bed with dd and me. I think that Wednesday, when we bring the other dogs home from the boarding place, will be interesting. It will almost be like a re-introduction for all of them. Molly has been so spoiled with being in the limelight that she's probably not going to be thrilled.