PDA

View Full Version : Knitting On The Job

Knitting_Guy
07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
This morning I had to wait about an hour and a half to get loaded as the crane was busy loading another truck when I got there. No problem, I just pulled out my knitting and passed the time working on it.

Later on I got stuck for two hours in a huge traffic back up on I-75 due to a very bad wreck about 10 miles ahead of me. As traffic was at a dead stop, yep you guessed it, I worked on my knitting some more.

A lot better than sitting and fuming over the delays.

stirsmommy
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I find I am looking forward to delays when I have my knitting with me. What am I saying it is always with me lately.:rofling:

bah
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I bring my knitting to the "office" too! But I'm the only one doing what I'm doing and right now I have no work...soooo...hopefully I'll finish the never ending baby blanket.

Eloewien
07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
I did that last winter when I was stuck coming home from work for over 4 hours...

debinoz
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I knit at work everyday! ;)

dakatzmeow
07-18-2007, 10:22 PM
i only WISH i could knit at work. i wouldn't want to get hospital germs on my knitting or tools though. blech! i'll have to stick to knitting at home.

cinnamon_girl
07-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I know what you mean. I have almost an hour commute to work by train and routinely use that time to knit. Some days I find myself wishing for a delay or breakdown so I can continue knitting for a little while longer!
What does that say about my priorities?

Susan

1knittychick
07-18-2007, 10:35 PM
I have 20 minutes for lunch (school teacher). So I take my knitting and knit while I make sure my babies get their trays. They don't talk at lunch..they eat and watch me knit. It's the best part of my day.

Songbirdy
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Sometimes I manage to knit while the kids are working on their school work.

For me, knitting is mostly an night time occupation. There are days I wish I did have more consistant alone time to knit at other times then when I am tired!

jjminarcik
07-19-2007, 01:06 AM
When I was working I used to knit in the cafeteria at lunch every day. Everyone called me Granny (I'm in my 20's). I didn't care! I just kept on knitting. . .

KnittingNora
07-19-2007, 04:07 AM
Knitting whilst being paid :lol: What a great thing!!

GinnyG
07-19-2007, 07:17 AM
I knit on the way to and from work, DH drives. I also knit while I wait for him to pick me up at night. I always keep a hat or small project in the car for those "knitable moments".

PinkRoses
07-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I currently bring my knitting to work but I'm on the graveyard shift and I'm a 911 operator. The next job I go to might possibly make this impossible. We'll see.

dreamsherl
07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I knit during my lunch break daily. I also knit during my students "educational fun" time. A few have asked me to teach them how to knit when school starts again.

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I knit at work to Mason!! :cheering: I knit where ever I can actually. Work has been so very slow lately so I just sit here and knit. xxx I also knit on the train as well. There are a few ladies on the train who I dont even know who I sit by who knit.

PugMom
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I knit on my commute to and from work (train), which is about 1/2 an hour. I wish I could knit during work, but unfortunately work gets in the way...

cftwo
07-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I had my knitting at work one day and actually found I could read and knit at the same time (it was an easy scarf pattern). I also found this was a great way for me to think through issues. I usually don't bring my knitting to work, though, because it doesn't LOOK like I'm working.

feministmama
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I knit during meetings and in class. It helps me listen better.

bip
07-19-2007, 11:55 AM
:lol: When I saw the title of the thread I thought, "Mason is the ONE person I don't want to think of knitting on the job!" Of course, I was envisioning you barreling down the road, elbow on the wheel, peering over at your pattern while furiously knitting away.

I knit on the job for about 30 mins once when our network went down. I had made every possible phone call and done every possible non-computer-related task and the network was still down, so out came the needles. If I have an errand to run at lunch, I am always secretly relieved if the errand involves some unexpected wait. Knitting during the middle of a weekday is so luxurious!

holamiis
07-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I tried knitting in a traffic jam, that was mistake... one time I let about a 8 car space open in front of me before I realized the cars in front had slowly inched forward and then the next time I almost bumped the car in front of me. Eyes on the road....I hate driving, I can't wait until I can take the bus/train again.

Jan in CA
07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Excellent! Beats road rage any day and I'm sure the other drivers thank you! :teehee:

JGM
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I knit on an exit ramp once when traffic was bad. I got a couple rows in before traffic started moving again.

I sit in my car at lunch and knit almost daily and I have also knit in the break room during lunch. I could probably get away with knitting in my office on slow days, but I'd really hate to get caught.

jodstr2
07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
once in a great while I sknit (sneak knit) at my desk. I'm on a fairly heavily traveled aisleway tho, so it's hard to get away with it.

wends
07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I knit at work during my lunch break. I eat at my desk while I work and then I go to the break room and take my 1 hour knitting break lol. I'm sometimes realllly tempted to take into meetings too.

bip
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I think I already said this, but I am on the board of my condo association, and the other 4 members passed a motion to allow me to knit during meetings. They really wanted me to run for a second term (I didn't actually serve a full first term, I just replaced someone who resigned w/1 year left on their "sentence"), so they used knitting as an enticement.

Silly ladies, I was going to knit during the meetings anyway, lol.

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I think I already said this, but I am on the board of my condo association, and the other 4 members passed a motion to allow me to knit during meetings. They really wanted me to run for a second term (I didn't actually serve a full first term, I just replaced someone who resigned w/1 year left on their "sentence"), so they used knitting as an enticement.

:roflhard:

snowbear
07-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm very fortunate.. I'm allowed to knit while at work! I work in a cll center.. and as long as I answer the calls, and notate the accounts, I can knit between, during calls.

believe me.. It really helps.

Knit Mom
07-19-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm very fortunate.. I'm allowed to knit while at work! I work in a cll center.. and as long as I answer the calls, and notate the accounts, I can knit between, during calls.

believe me.. It really helps.

I know exactly what you mean. I am kind of allowed to knit. My boss knows that I dont have any work. So just as long as the phone gets answered and the clients get helped, I am all good. And it sure beats looking at the internet. Except for KH that is.

threesmom
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I've gotten to teh point where I bearly leave the house without my knitting ... keys? check. Wallet? check. Knitting? Check. I drive my dh nuts wiht it:teehee:. And I bring it to work - I work in mental health, and figure it's for my own, so no one should complain. But I think if I have to answer the "What is that?" "Knitting." "Not crocheting?" "NO, NOT crocheting." one more time I'll scream!

cathyj
07-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm a delivery driver and I knit at red lights, train crossings, road construction, just about anything. I only knit dishclothes so I don't really have to think about what I'm doing.

MarthaStarWarsFan
07-19-2007, 07:51 PM
i only WISH i could knit at work. i wouldn't want to get hospital germs on my knitting or tools though. blech! i'll have to stick to knitting at home.

Haha! I'm glad I work as a nurse in a cardiology clinic...the germs aren't as bad...

I do my knitting at lunch...since I'm vegetarian, I usually don't eat food that the "drug reps" bring while they do their talk, so I sneak off to an empty exam room to knit.

I love it that you knit while in traffic, delays, Mason. That's awesome...I live/work off of IH-35 in Texas...I always wondered what you guys did in those trucks during loading up, now I know! :)

G J
07-19-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm a substitute teacher and sometimes I can knit all day! Those are the days when I'm forced to show the same stupid movie (on how to decorate a cake or something totally lame) SEVEN times! I'd go nuts if I couldn't knit!

Eloewien
07-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I work in a callcenter where agents are allowed to knit on the phone... i've been trying to teach some knitting classes, but no luck. keep getting turned down.

lady~PURL
07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Love to knit and since im only 18 I find people also calling me granny I dont mind though because knitting is my life

holamiis
07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
For all of you knitting in the cars, how many times have you gotten in an accident, even a fender bump? :)

Knitting_Guy
07-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I DO NOT recommend knitting while driving. Period. When I was knitting it was when traffic was dead stopped. If traffic moved even a little I put the knitting aside and moved my truck.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try knitting while actually moving a motor vehicle. It's not only stupid but it could kill someone.

suzeeq
07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I have a job similar to snowbear's. Between calls we can read, do puzzles or whatever. When the calls are only a couple minutes apart, by the time I figure out where I am, another call comes in so I leave it. But I work later in the day, so after 7 they're usually 20-40 minutes apart.

Doublereeder2
07-22-2007, 12:08 AM
I wish I could knit at work. Do you think the conductor would realize those were knitting needles in my hands and not my oboe?

BostonBecca
07-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't think I'll knit while at work. I don't think the Judge would appreciate it!

dakatzmeow
07-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Haha! I'm glad I work as a nurse in a cardiology clinic...the germs aren't as bad...

snip...

i AM on a cardiology unit, but we're an icu step-down unit, so we still get a lot of isolation cases. :(

clb1968
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
I sometimes bring mine to work with me, I did not have it or a book to read last week when the computers were down all day, they finally sent us all home a 3pm, we had been sitting around all day doing nothing, except reading some magazines we got at 7-11 at lunch.