PDA

View Full Version : Any Sock KAL

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

dustinac
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone, this is a general sock kal which means any sock pattern you are working on we want to know about it. We can share our wip/fos along with tips or different techniques you may use. I know we have a lot of sock knitters so I hope that many will join. :happydance:

Right now I’m working on a Nancy Bush sock (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60732)(which is where this idea come from) I’m hoping to move on to Twisted Flower next or maybe even the Bayerishe Sock. :blooby:

JamOKnit
07-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm struggling to get motivated to finish my second sock to make a complete pair, so maybe this KAL is what I need! I've got about 3 inches of ribbing on the cuff done so far. I'm just using Silver's sock tutorial and some fantastic Memories yarn from Knit Picks.

IBAmyB
07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Oooh! I have been wanting to try to knit socks! I bought some size 2 DPNs and sock yarn a couple of weeks ago... this KAL is what I need!

I :heart: wearing funky, fun colored socks! I really need to learn how to knit them!!! (My family always gives me socks for Christmas... maybe this year I will get them to give me sock yarn instead! :teehee:)

knitwit628
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm joining! I am making my first pair of socks with Silver's Sock Tutorial with beautiful hand dyed sock yarn that has teals, pinks and purples. I love it! I am knitting it on size 2 DPN's.

I am still knitting the cuff, but will hopefully soon be able to work on the heel. :cheering: At least now I can have some motivation!

Nobones
07-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm in, I'm currently trying the 'Silver sock tutorial', but I'm really lousy. I can't get the rib to work, I've frogged the damm thing so often, still I won't let it beat me. Look forward to seeing what everyone is doing.

PaperGirl
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Ive finished a pair with Silvers tut....and Im one sock and halfway through my first patterned sock.

Although its a VERY easy patern...simple stockinette...no fancy patterns...

Im actually reading a book and using a pattern!

This is about how much of the 2nd one I have done. I will show a pic of the finished first when I take one.

...dotty...
07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Oh, I'm so glad you started this knitalong, dustinac !
I cannot get enough of seeing other people's sock-knitting, ........not to mention all the helpful hints !

I've finished 5 repeats of the cuff chart on the monkey socks.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html
This pattern is going really great, and easy to read from the chart........so much better than following the text. I'm using a wonderfully stretchy Chinese wool fingering weight yarn that I purchased on Etsy from BambooVillagePress. I've used two other skeins of this yarn, and have been very pleased.

Come on, IBAmyB, you sound like the perfect candidate for sock-knitting........you'll be creating all kinds of wild combinations once you get going ! And sock yarn for Christmas sounds fantastic to me !:heart:

Let us know what the problem is with that ribbing, NoBones,......maybe we can help !

I use this site for shrinking my photos to share here......it works for me ! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/resize.php (http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/resize.php)

I had to have a little photo assistance................(that's Ewe-nice helping me get a good shot !)

knitwit628
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I am having the most trouble resizing and posting pictures of my sock yarn!!! I keep trying and trying and I think it's gonna drive me nuts! lol I know it's supposed to be easy, but I am having issues right now...

...dotty...
07-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I've tried all kinds of ways on here, for posting pics, and the only things that work for me are using the link I posted above and making a small photo that I save to my computer, ..then I use the button that says 'manage attachments'...........or.........

I just copy and paste a link to my photos on flickr, into the text here !

knitwit628
07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
It worked! Thank you Dotty!

Anyways, this is the hand dyed sock yarn I am using for my first pair of socks! Just wanted to share. :happydance: Sorry about the bad lighting... it's not the best picture and you can't see the colors very well, but just what I had at the moment.

bobi1218
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
I want to join! I have sock yarn, that I bought at the MD Sheep and Wool Festival back in May, and I've been planning on using Silver's tutorial for my first sock :)

I have a question, though - the yarn I bought doesn't have any gauge info on the label. How do I know what size needles to use? TIA!

jodstr2
07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
right now I'm working on 3 different Second Socks, all using Silver's Sock Tutorial. the first is one for CV, the second is one for my mom, and the third is a short little thing with only a 1/2" "cuff" for me (I think).

tootie44
07-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Cool! I am joining you...I am working on my first pair of toe up socks, loosely based on this tutorial (http://www.socknitters.com/toe-up/index.htm). I was going to try Widdershins (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTwiddershins.html) but quickly realized this is not written for my big feet and I don't know enough about cabling or toe up to adapt it yet.

I knit 2 socks at a time on DPNs and I just finished both toes. I am using Lorna's Laces in Blackberry. First time knitting with it, I like it a lot.

knitwit628
07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a question, though - the yarn I bought doesn't have any gauge info on the label. How do I know what size needles to use?

Bobi- I was wondering the same thing! There was no gauge info on my label either. So, I contacted the lady who dyed it. She gave me this website:
http://www.wiseneedle.com:80/yarnrevaddhelp.asp

Scroll down to where it says "2. Yarn Details" and in that section there is a chart for the different yarn weights. For most of the yarn weights it gives a common gauge. That's what I'm doing... Hopefully it works! But you may want to contact the person/company who made your yarn if you can, just in case.

cinnamon_girl
07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
This is very timely! I'd like to join and knit along.
:happydance:
I just started my first sock last night. I'm using South West Trading Company's TOFUtsies yarn and size 1 bamboo dpns. It seemed a good choice since the practice pair is DD, who is a vegetarian. She immediately volunteered to be the recipient of my first socks.

Nobones, I got off to slow start last night and had to cast on 4 times until I got it going. Now, as others advised, since I've got about 2 inches of cuff it's going easier with the 4 needles.
I too, look forward to all the pics and am going to try to post one later tonight when my camera batteries recharge. :think:

cinnamon_girl
07-19-2007, 08:05 PM
oh yea, I also have this site bookmarked for help with yarns and gauge etc.

http://www.yarndex.com/

...dotty...
07-19-2007, 10:13 PM
If it's your first time using a certain type of yarn, I would advise knitting a swatch that you can unravel later. Since knitting in the round produces a different gauge than back and forth knitting, I just cast on a few inches worth of stitches onto one doublepointed needle, knit across it, and then rather than turn the needle, just let your working yarn come across the back of the knitting (kindof like when you make i-cord, except VERY LOOSE), push your stitches back down to the right end, and start knitting across again. Knit this way for 3 or 4 inches length atleast, and wide enough to be able to measure across a couple of inches in the middle of the knitting, well in from each end (which will be loose and wonky).
Start out with the needles recommended in the pattern you're using, or if it doesn't specify, start out with size 2 dpns for fingering/sock weight yarn.:knitting:Measure a couple of inches in the middle of your swatch, and see how many stitches you're getting, and how many rows. You can adjust from there.

Hope this helps

misstialouise
07-20-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm in.. I'm making toe up 2 at a time on 2 circ socks.. :D

dustinac
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
:woot:YAY! I'm so glad all of you are joinin in....

I'm hoping I can knit this weekend and finish up the Fancy Silk sock... I haven't been able to knit all week except at the dr office on Wed.

Nobones~if we can help in any way with the ribbing just let me know!

I'm so glad to see so many just starting their first socks... they look harder than what they are and if you do get stuck just ask away and we will help ya....:thumbsup:

dustinac
07-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I actually got to knit a little bit last night... I turned the heel on my sock and hope I can finish it up this weekend.. How is everyone else doing? :thumbsup:

...dotty...
07-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I reached the heel on the second sock (where I stopped on the first one), so they were at the same point, and then I knitted the 30 rows of the heel flap on the first one....................man did I have a tangle where the yarn coming from the outside and the yarn coming from the inside of the ball got wound around each other. I thought I was going to have to cut, but I finally got it straight. Not sure it's worth it to do two at once if they're not on the same needle, as in circulars ! We'll see how I feel about it when they're both finished !:?? I'm wishing I could think of something special to do on the back of the heel, just to set them apart, but my brain isn't volunteering anything !

knitwit628
07-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I haven't been working on my socks lately because I have to knit a last minute baby blanket for my sister's expecting friend. Once I finish it or when I want to take a break, I will definitely work on my socks!! btw- I'm still on the cuff. :(

...dotty...
07-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Looking forward to seeing your progress, knitwit628 !

Here's my latest photo.........xxx

cinnamon_girl
07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, you can tell I'm a sock newbie. I'm still on the cuff. I had to unknit quite a bit last night. I was going along happily knitting my ribbing of my cuff when I stopped to admire it. I slipped it over my fingers and kind of checked the stretch and noticed I had a little hole. Drat! I guess I made an unintentional yo along then way and then must have dropped a stitch because my ribbing was still working out even?!?!?!
It's going to be a few days until I'm ready to tackle the heel. Plus it was so beautiful out today I had to spend some time outside weeding so not much knitting got done.
I'd like to post a pic of my progress but so far I can't figure out how to attach a photo in my post like I've seen others do. Can anyone walk me through it or are there instructions somewhere on the site?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing what everyone else is working on.

kristinw
07-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone! I'm working on my Sockapalooza socks right now. It is the Dublin Bay Sock (http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/mossycottage/) pattern. It is such a nice easy pattern, but still pretty. I am using Cherry Blossom Fibers (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=106197)yarn. It is really great to work with - I highly recommend it!

Here is a fairly recent photo. I'm almost done the heel flap now.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/839882777_c9e2fcba83.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/%3Ca%20href=)">

misstialouise
07-21-2007, 08:39 PM
I had to stop knitting so I could read HP7.. :D

I'm still on the toes... and am just deciding what pattern do do in the leg :D

cinnamon_girl
07-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I think I figured it out. I was hitting quick reply and getting no option for adding an attachment.

Anyway here's my cuff, if this works. :pray:. The pattern I'm following is one I got from my LYS with my yarn. It's a simple beginner sock. And I'll probably end up back there for help at some point (heel). It's a very relaxed, comfy place. And the owner has a beautiful cat named Pearl... or maybe it's Purl. I'm a sucker for a beautiful cat so I'll be going back regardless.

Very nice socks dotty & kristin, gives me something to persevere for!

misstialouise
07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
OMG! I'm using Tofutsies too!! :D My colourway is pink/green though.. it's either Lightfoot or 785 ... hehe.. (the label currently eludes me.. :S)

kristinw
07-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I love the colors of both of your Tofutsies!! So pretty!

cinnamon_girl
07-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Cool!! Very pretty color misstialouise!! I had a hard time choosing a color. So far I like the yarn. Well hurry up and finish HP so you can get back to those socks. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do on the leg!

dustinac
07-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Knitwit~ I know how that goes :teehee:...I have 2 baby afghans to do by Feb. I keep saying that is months away :rollseyes:

dotty~ I love the way they are looking in the pink... did you decide on the heel? I've tried to do 2 at the same time but I always get caught up in one and then have to catch the other up...:teehee:

Cinnamon~ You are doing really good!! Don't worry the heels sound hard but actually are easy and give you a break from the pattern in the cuff... I think that is why I don't get bored with socks by the time I'm bored with the cuff it's time for the heel.. then gusset decrease... by the time I'm bored with the foot it's toe time...:blooby:

Kristin~ I love that color.. I bought some cherry tree hill earlier this month and loved it.. so far it is my favorite yarn...

misstialouise~ Those are going to be pretty...I have some tofutsies in my closet too haven't figured out what pattern I want to use it on...

:woot:I actually finished my socks today...now hoping tomorrow I can work on the MS3 get it caught up and then start another pair of socks...:rofling:

Details
Fancy Silk Sock from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
DPNs size 1s
Lorna's Laces in River ~ First time I used this yarn and I expected more but after finishing a pair up with Cherry Tree Hill I was disappointed... I would use it again though..

knitwit628
07-22-2007, 01:48 PM
oooo pretty socks, dustinac! Yeah, I have to finish the baby blanket and send it in the mail before the end of August... I hope to get to work on my socks soon though.

misstialouise
07-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Cool!! Very pretty color misstialouise!! I had a hard time choosing a color. So far I like the yarn. Well hurry up and finish HP so you can get back to those socks. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do on the leg!

I'm thinking something cabley... I'm going to go open my stitch dictionary and see what I can do with it.. :D

I *was* going to do widdershins.. but... nup....

cinnamon_girl
07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
OOh very nice dustinac!! Finished socks. Yea!! I've heard that Cherry Tree Hill is very nice. mmm!
And, just today someone told me the same thing about socks, you knit the cuff until you're bored. lol!
Hope I get the cuff done soon.

...dotty...
07-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Those look great, dustinac ! I'm wanting to do them in something purple, like they are in the book. I don't wear a lot of purple, but I'm getting a craving for purple socks !

kristinw, that sock is beautiful ! I love that yarn, too ! I saw a skein at a really good price in that shop, but the yardage was kindof short.

Oh, I just love the stitch dictionaries ! :heart: I have one checked out from our local library right now, and I dove into it to find a stitch for my heel. This book is called "The New Knitting Stitch Library", by Leslie Stanfield, and she doesn't name the stitch patterns,.........just gives them numbers...:cry: I'm using stitch pattern number six in the 'knit and purl' section. It's a very nice texture, and all I had to do was increase one stitch to start, and decrease one stitch on the last row, and figure out which way to slip the first stitch in every row so that the slipped stitches along the edge aren't twisted. I tried the eye of partridge heel, but I was either doing something wrong, or I didn't give it enough rows to see the pattern. It didn't do anything for me, but I love it in other people's pictures, so I have a feeling I wasn't doing something right !
I read on someone's blog that there were only 3 stitch patterns for heels........stockinette, slipped rib, and eye of partridge.........and I thought..."Why?.....Why can't I do any pattern I want on those 32 or so rows?" Wow,.........that was really liberating. I tried a star stitch, but it felt like it would feel 'knotty' in my shoes, so I figured out that I should not get too elaborate.
I'll post pics again soon.........I lack 2 more rows of the second heel before I pick up stitches for the foot !xxx

kristinw
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Those are great dustinac! :cheering: I have some Lorna's Laces but I haven't tried it yet.

dotty - was the Cherry Blossom you saw maybe DK weight? Because she does have some of that. The skein I am working from now is 460 yards.

I just finished my heel flap and have started row 1 of the heel turn. Moving along! I need to hop to it so I can get these out on time.

misstialouise
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I am going to do the Dragon Scale stitch pattern :D Kinda like the Wyvern socks, but I've had to jiggle it a little so it will work witha gusset heel :D

WOO!

dustinac
07-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks everyone!!!

dotty~ can't wait to see the heel... I never think to change it till I was reading Nancy Bush's books :rofling:

I think my cherry tree hill had about that 460 yards... I know I have plenty left over just not sure what to do with it...

I did a google search on Bayerishe sock and someone used Tofutsies...I would have never thought of using it...

I keep thinking I may use that...I also want to knit the Twisted Flower...but first it will be WVU socks for my dh... I tried dying navy and gold and it came out :ick: so I'm going to use Paton's Merino wool for them... now I gotta come up with an idea... :thumbsup:

...dotty...
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I went back and checked and here is the yarn I saw with the shorter yardage,--360 yards, she says........

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5622700 (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5622700)

and it says it's a fingering weight.........maybe that's why it's in the 'sale' section ! Also, it's called 'purple rain', but my monitor shows it as a mauvy rose.

Anyway, the one you're using is the colorway I like.:muah: I just HAVE to find me some of these dark rich variegated colored yarns ! I did a big search of things knitted from the 'Memories' (knitpicks) yarn on Flickr, and didn't really love any of them.:cry: Tiny budget and huge desire are poor bedfellows !:hair:

mollime
07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Help,Help, I am brand new at sock knitting and I can't keep the four DPN going correctly...I have dropped all my stitches off one needle, re-knitted the wrong one and "stuck the 4th needle in my hair till I realized what I had done...Is there an easy way to do this? I'm at "wits end" I really need some help...

mollime

misstialouise
07-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Help,Help, I am brand new at sock knitting and I can't keep the four DPN going correctly...I have dropped all my stitches off one needle, re-knitted the wrong one and "stuck the 4th needle in my hair till I realized what I had done...Is there an easy way to do this? I'm at "wits end" I really need some help...

mollime

Try using 2 circs rather than the dpns.. I get a LOT less stuff ups with 2 circs :D

samm
07-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Yay!!! Me too! Me too!!! I want to finish up the second sock of a pair. I'm just turning the heel of the second one, so you'd think I'd just get going! Not so. I've been avoiding them for some reason. SSS??? It's a beautiful yarn, Lana Grossa Cotton Fantasy, in the colour...hmmm.... it doesn't seem to have a name, just a number. I'll figure out how to get a photo in here tomorrow. I'm happy to join a sock knitting bunch! I'm no expert, but I have knit maybe ten pair. I'd like to get brave and do the Monkey sock soon. So far all my socks are plain ones. But sometimes, like with this pair, the yarn does all the work! samm

cinnamon_girl
07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
mollime,
I'm new too so I feel your frustration. That was me a few nights ago. I had to keep casting on and starting over, I was dropping my needle constantly. I have my work on 4 needles and my 5th needle is my working needle. I tried it with 3 but ultimately I found the 4 worked better for me.
But everyone said to persevere. Once I got through the 3rd - 4th round, the work and needles started to stabilize is the best way I can think to describe it. And each round got a little easier. Now I've got about 5 inches or so of cuff on my 4 dpns. lol!
So if you want to master dpns, (and I did want to) keep at it. Otherwise, as mistialouise suggested circs are another technique to try.
Good Luck!!

misstialouise
07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
2 circs is also a good way to avoid SSS... I KNOW I would get it, which is why the 2 on 2 is great for me.

I am loving this Dragon scale pattern. It's simple, but so effective! I'll post a pic when I have 2 or three repeats done :D

dustinac
07-24-2007, 07:55 AM
mollieme, I had the same problems when I started knitting with dpns... I took rubber bands or my little girl's pony tail holders and would wrap those around the ends... that way my stitches wouldn't fall off... also stitch markers can help you remeber what dpn to knit with... Some mark their first needle but I know some who have used different colors on the needles remebering the colors in the way they have to go till they become more used to them...it can be frustrating just take your time and don't give up... the first few rnds can be the hardest as well...

As far as sticking one in your hair... I have done that so many times.. have tore apart couches and cars looking for that crazy dpn... will go get another dpn cause well that one most be lost... and then hours will find it sticking in my pony tail... or dh will find it when he comes home from work...:rollseyes:

samm~ perfect time for you to start the monkeys as dotty is working on hers... I have SSS as well if I don't CO as soon as I finish the other sock... for some reason if I wait till the next day to CO it will be a few days down the road before I do :teehee:

...dotty...
07-24-2007, 02:37 PM
mollieme........you've been given some very good advice, so I'll try not to duplicate it. When I first started using dpns, it was to finish the decreasing on a hat, and I wound up putting point protectors on all the needles that I wasn't knitting from, just so that the stitches wouldn't fall off of the ends ! The ponytail holders/rubberbands is a good idea, too, if you don't have the point protectors. And once, I grabbed what I thought was an empty needle....:lol:...and it wasn't ! :waah: So there I was with 20 or so live stitches off of a needle ! Not a good predicament for a newbie !

So don't worry, we've all been there or are still there.....:wall:......but learning this skill is definitely worth the patience you put in now ! :thumbsup:

misstialouise
07-25-2007, 02:15 AM
I made a little icon :D

...dotty...
07-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Oh, I like that icon !
How do I put it in my signature...:??..we should all adopt it !.....I haven't a clue how to do things like that ! I'm so daft about computer code.

And if anyone can teach ME how to add a photo without shrinking it to avatar size, please advise. My photo program lets me choose pixel size, but that doesn't seem to work for me here !

misstialouise
07-25-2007, 02:34 AM
just save that icon by right clicking (PC) to your computer, then upload it to your photobucket or whatever, and put that URL into your signature :D

dustinac
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
:happydance: Thank you misstialouise... I saved it to my PC, uploaded it to flickr, but it keeps telling me I have an invalid file :teehee:... I might have to wait for dh....

I started his socks yesterday and having a time with them... I charted out the floating WV but I guess I'm pulling to tight cause it keeps getting drawn in where you can't read it...I'm off to frog it again for the 6th time I think...I will get this... I'm starting to wonder if maybe doing duplicate stitch after the sock is done isn't the way to go...:shrug:

Eloewien
07-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I figure I can join in on this KAL too... I'm working on a pair of Wyvern socks... my first toe up socks :) I'm really liking the way toe up works- but I can't find that many free sock patterns online that are toe up, which is frustrating. Maybe I should start designing my own! ;)

1to1
07-25-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm working on Jaywalkers http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm toe-up 2 @ a time on 2 circulars.

I made my first pair using Silvers Tutorial :notworthy: in Feb. I'm on my 7th pair and love knitting socks.

Eloewien, here are a few sites to find toe-up patterns--you'll have to look through them.:zombie:
http://www.knittychick.com/free_sock_patterns.htm
http://knitty.com/archiveFEET.html

misstialouise, thanks for the icon.

dustinac
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
:woot:YAY! Welcome Eloewien and 1to1... I need to give toe up another try... I did it with the Enterlac socks and just really didn't like the fit that well... I keep thinking I'll give Elfine's (http://autoscopia.com/amelia/assets/elfinesocks.pdf) Socksa try (pdf file)...

:blooby:I got the button without asking dh... I couldn't get it to load from flickr but it did from my kodak gallery...Thank you again :hug:

knitwit628
07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I love the KAL button!!! :cheering:

misstialouise
07-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Why thank you :D I dabble a little in digital scrapbooking.. ;)

...dotty...
07-26-2007, 12:59 AM
No luck for me with the icon.........I just can't get it small enough to load into my signature. But, I think I can put it in my text.

And I don't know how to get the URL for it?:??

BUT .................... I did finish THESE...........:cheering::happydance::lol::muah:: woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/901839718/in/photostream/

misstialouise
07-26-2007, 01:12 AM
THEY LOOK GREAT!!!

mmmmm... I have some lovely yarn that would do those up great :D

dustinac
07-26-2007, 08:23 AM
dotty those look wonderful!! They make me want to start the pattern now...:thumbsup:

On flickr I never know what addy they want... I couldn't get it to work using the property addy (right click on photo, then property, then highlight url)...so I tried the addy you get when you click into one of your photos but that didn't work either :teehee:.. that is when I decided to use kodak...:shrug:

My dh's socks are :wall::wall::wall:... I charted the floating WV... I worked the chart I don't know how many times and it looked icky... so I then tried carrying the gold all the way around the cuff cause only needle 1 had the image... looked GREAT... but it wouldn't go over my heel :wall:... I'm now just knitting a gold and navy sock :rofl:...

knitwit628
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
The socks are sooooo beautiful Dotty!!!! I absolutely love them!

...dotty...
07-26-2007, 05:09 PM
So sorry about the sock troubles, dustinac ! :cry:
I was so preoccupied with finishing mine that I didn't comment. Unfortunately, I have no experience yet with the color charted designs. I did do the other thing you mentioned, (forgotten the name !), where you embroider over the stitches to make it look like color work. I didn't do very well at that !

dustinac
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
:hug:that's ok...I was just letting off steam :teehee:

Now I have one done :happydance:...one thing about just doing a plain sock you can work on it while the kids are up and diddling...

rorygilmore
07-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I want to join!! All I've been knitting are socks lately.

cinnamon_girl
07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi to Everybody:waving:

Well, I'm still plugging along on my first sock but I'm making progress. I'm ready to start the heel flap. Yea!!

dotty... LOVE those socks,beautiful color and beautiful pattern. Wow!

dustinc.. Looking good! You're inspiring me to knit faster. lol! :X:
And I finally got my KAL button to load from flickr. Just for future reference I right clicked on the photo to get properties and then copied the address that came up in the properties box rather than from the tool bar (if that makes sense)

mistialouise... thanks for the KAL button !! Now my posts don't look so plain anymore.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a picture to post.

rorygilmore
07-27-2007, 09:49 AM
So here is the sock I'm knitting for my dad, its a very late Father's day gift. I knit the heel and turned it last night. I'm trying to get these done fast. I got the pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. This book is so awesome, I want to marry it. :knitting:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/DSCF5615.jpg

rorygilmore
07-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Oh yeah the yarn is KP's Memories. Such a great yarn!

dustinac
07-27-2007, 10:39 AM
:happydance:Welcome Rorygilmore (I'm so sad that I don't have the GG to look forward to this fall..I still have the last show on my tivo)!!! Love those socks and I love that book too.. I haven't tried the memories sock yarn will have to add it to my list...

Thank you Cinnamon_girl, they are also going fast cause I'm using worsted wool and size 7dpns :rofl:...I hope you can post some pictures soon!!:thumbsup:

knitwit628
07-27-2007, 10:47 AM
This book is so awesome, I want to marry it. :knitting:

:roflhard:

I like the socks! They're looking good so far!!!:thumbsup:

rebecca
07-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Ya'll!!! :waving:
I am LOVING all of your socks!
It's taken a while, but I'm finally in! I'm knitting Lonnie a modified pair of Lonnie's Sport Socks (http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2006/11/lonnies-sport-socks.html) (these will be longer, with a different heel...I'll include it with the 1st pattern when I'm done) for his bday....I hope! His bday is Aug 3 and I've been knitting for my swap pal for so long and been on bedrest that I let time slip by!! I didn't even realize the date! Anyway, I cast on using the YUMMILICIOUS bamboo sock yarn that Sabrina gave me (along with many other goodies) during our last swap.
I have to say, it certainly feels good to be knitting socks again!!! I was going through socknitting withdrawals!!! :blooby: Happy Socknitting One and All!

1to1
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey Ya'll!!! :waving:
It's taken a while, but I'm finally in! I'm knitting Lonnie a modified pair of Lonnie's Sport Socks (http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2006/11/lonnies-sport-socks.html) .:blooby: Happy Socknitting One and All!

OHHHH I'm glad to see the Sock Designing Queen has joined. :notworthy::notworthy:

I highly recommend that you take a look at her wonderful designs. These are the first of her designs that I can across (i can't find the original post:??) but here is a link http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2006/10/loopy-socks.html

I finally found it http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=30653&highlight=sock

rorygilmore
07-27-2007, 04:09 PM
knitwit628, your name is Alexandria? Me too. That is cool.

dustinac
07-27-2007, 04:18 PM
:woot:Welcome Becka!!! Good to have the sock Queen with us... I still need to cast onto my leaves of whimsey socks...can't wait to see your new pattern!! :thumbsup:

2nd WV sock wasn't started lol... we had a gloomy night last night and this morning... so I made my little girl a bag that she helped pick out the colors.. it was fun to watch her in the process and now as she runs around with it...:teehee:

rebecca
07-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks, everyone!!!! Ya'll sure do know how to make a girl feel welcome!!!! Well, I'm up, so back to knitting!!

knitwit628
07-28-2007, 09:15 AM
knitwit628, your name is Alexandria? Me too. That is cool.

Yep that's me! :happydance: What a coincidence! I don't find too many people with my name very often. Some people call me Alex, but some people I want to call me Alexandria. So, whenever I tell them to call me by my full first name they always say "But it takes tooooo long to say" and I'm like "It's only 10 letters, get used to it." :roll:

knitwit628
07-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Cinnamon Gurl-- Are you using the fingering weight instructions on Silver's Sock Tutorial? If not, can anybody help me?

Well, I have 440 yards of sock yarn that I am using and the directions for the fingering weight yarn says I need to have 420 yards. Well, I don't know how long to make my cuff. I want to have enough yarn for the second sock too. Somewhere in the directions it says to do an 8 in cuff or less. In her yardage requirement, did she include the amount needed for an 8 in cuff? I hope this makes sense... But I want to make sure I have enough yarn because it not possible for me to buy another ball. :???:

kristinw
07-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Cinnamon Gurl-- Are you using the fingering weight instructions on Silver's Sock Tutorial? If not, can anybody help me?

Well, I have 440 yards of sock yarn that I am using and the directions for the fingering weight yarn says I need to have 420 yards. Well, I don't know how long to make my cuff. I want to have enough yarn for the second sock too. Somewhere in the directions it says to do an 8 in cuff or less. In her yardage requirement, did she include the amount needed for an 8 in cuff? I hope this makes sense... But I want to make sure I have enough yarn because it not possible for me to buy another ball. :???:

440 yards should be more than enough. Don't make knee socks and you should be all set. I like to make them about 4-6".

cinnamon_girl
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi Alexandria,
I'm using a basic pattern I got from my LYS when I bought my yarn. The yardage on the Tofutsies is 425m and the yarn store lady said I only needed one ball for a pair.
The cuff on the pattern she gave me is 7". It sounded too long to me but I noticed Silver's tutorial says 8" or less (I'm using Silver's tutorial as a visual aid!! :cheering:Thank you Silver!!!).
So I'm trusting that I'll have enough yarn:shrug:
I'm working on the heel flap now, when I'm not at work, or on the computer, or going to see Wicked or going to the movies (Hairspray) or out to eat. Eventually I will finish my first sock. lol.

Hope that helps!

knitwit628
07-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Alexandria,
I'm using a basic pattern I got from my LYS when I bought my yarn.

Thanks! Sorry, I thought you were using the actual tutorial, that's why I was asking you. But thanks Kristinw and cinnamon_girl! I decided to be safe and knit 4 1/4 in for the cuff and am working on the gusset now!!! I am so happy with how it is turning out!

I will post pictures later, but right now my camera's battery needs to be charged.

G J
07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Is it too late to join this? :waving:

I'm working on my first pair of socks! I'm using a combination of Silver's toe-up tutorial, (but I'm only making 1 at a time) soculator and a couple of other tutorials. Here's my first sock. I've got the foot done on the second one and am starting the ribbing for the top.

samm
07-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Welllllllll...... I finally turned that heel and now it's straightaway to the toe! Since this is the second of the pair of socks, I'm feeling pretty happy about it. :woot: The sock yarn collection is calling to me....... and all the time I'm knitting this sock I'm planning another pair! Do the rest of you do that too? Can't not know what will be next, even though I'm not done. Is that weird? samm

dustinac
07-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, I've been busy today working on dh's 2nd sock...will have to get pictures of him tomorrow wearing them...(doubt this will happen but I'll try)

knitwit~440 yards should be plenty...I have sooo much sock yarn left over that I started making mini socks for key chains, earrings, and still have some left over... I don't like a high cuff though so most of the time mine are between 5-6"...

cinnamon_girl~you should be ok too...I keep thinking maybe my next sock will be out of the tofutsies I have...:teehee:

GJ~ Welcome :happydance:!! Your sock looks wonderful and your not to late.. this will always be open... as long as we are making socks..:teehee:

samm~Not weird at all...I can't wait to finish dh's sock so I can make me another pair...plus his aren't really pretty and the yarn isn't very soft...soooo lol...I also think of new sock yarns I wanna buy... it is like I'm afraid I'll run out and then have to wait for more to come in... there is no chance of this happening but ya know:shrug:

becka~glad to see you are up more and more!!!

okey dokey... off to finish the last bit up on his....pictures tomorrow hopefully...:thumbsup:

rorygilmore
07-28-2007, 10:10 PM
You can always make knit baby socks with leftovers. You never know when someone will need them.

knitwit628
07-29-2007, 02:18 PM
I am almost finished with my first sock!!!!!!!!! :cheering:

...dotty...
07-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I am almost finished with my first sock!!!!!!!!! :cheering:

Hooray !:woohoo:Way to go, knitwit !

I am definitely always looking for the next sock pattern to knit ! I have a file folder FULL, just from patterns offered freely on the internet ! I try not to start more than one pattern at a time, but I have to admit....I did start a try at some 'made up' kneesocks, just before I started my monkeys. I've yet to figure out how to keep them up, but I did one round of *yo,k2tog*, after the ribbing, figuring I could weave some of that quarter inch wide clear elastic through that round and stitch it together by hand. I don't know.........it's just an experiment with some MagicStripes yarn that was inexpensive !

The 440 yard skeins are usually plenty if the sock is all stockinette, or stockinette and plain ribbing, even with a tall cuff. It's when you get into the complicated patterns that it eats up the yardage, I've found.

I'm thinking about starting some Pembrokeshire Pathways......

http://homepage.mac.com/jeffhaywood/craftsanity/page27/page27.html

:lol:.....don't know what yarn I want to use yet, though.

PaperGirl
07-29-2007, 08:03 PM
I finished some socks!!!! Yay!

I want to cast on for Jaywalkers now...BUT...I only have 440 yards of yarn.

That will be enough, right? :??

...dotty...
07-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Ooh, congratulations !

Pictures please !

dustinac
07-30-2007, 09:02 AM
:woot:Knitwit and Paper girl, can't wait to see the pictures!!:woot:

Papergirl, I haven't made the jaywalkers but you might want to check...the pattern has 465 and although most of the time I have a bunch left over... like dotty said some patterns can eat the yarn up like crazy...I'd prolly double check and make sure :thumbsup:

dotty that is a very pretty pattern.. I added it to my favorites..did you check out the designers blog? She has someone test knitting a pair of socks that look really neat...so I added her blog to my favorties as well..

I didn't get to post pictures yesterday my camera died...It is charged and ready to go this morning...dh likes them and can't wait for game season...they should keep his feet warm if they have any cold games this year...he will also wear them here around the house like his other pair of wool socks...the WV hits on his legs just right :blooby:...
details
Yarn: Patons Merino Wool in Navy and Gold
DPNs: Size 7
Pattern: Just your basic sock pattern

G J
07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
WOW! NICE WORK!:cheering:

...dotty...
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Ooh, lucky hubby ! Those look fantastic, and very fitting for a man and a fan !

Lucky you, too.............my hubby has said that he'd be afraid to wear any socks I knitted for him, for fear of ruining them ! But I'm gonna knit him a pair anyway.......and tell him they're his LUCKY socks.....he'll atleast wear them for special days, surely !:heart:

dustinac
07-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Thank you GJ and Dotty!!

lol dh was that way when I made him his first scarf but I would chase him out the door with it and put it around him... the only one I can't get him to wear is the double knit WV scarf I made for him in Jan... I charted out the WV and it is reversible... it was my first time doing double knit and charting... he says he seen my frustration and is to scared to wear it :teehee:...

rebecca
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Loverly socks people!!!!! WTG!!!!

I'm afraid I frogged mine, I was done with one and discovered it was too small for Lonnie...boy, goes to show I've not been feeling well, LOL! So I cast on for another pair today, we shall see!

samm
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I finished my socks! :woohoo:Here's a photo of one of them, and you'll just have to trust that there are two. It's a Lana Grossa Cotton yarn, and the colours are very soft and denim-y. Nice yarn to work with and I love the results.
Congratulations on that first finished sock and the WV ones are way cool. And warm! This is a really great group of sockknitters, isn't it. I'm liking being here.
I'm wanting to make Monkeys next, but feeling as if they might be a big too challenging. But on the other hand, why not a challenge! :shrug:The worst that can happen is frogging time, right?
So that settles it, she said to herself, it's Monkey Socks next. :happydance: samm

samm
07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Oops! I got so carried away with my Monkey Sock decision that I forgot to post the picture! Sorry! Here it is....

PaperGirl
07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Mah sockies...:woot:

Next up...Monkeys in a pretty orangy/pink.

knitwit628
07-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Great socks samm and papergirl!!! Both of you made them in such wonderful colors!!! :yay:

1 more inch to go before I graft the toes!!! lol can't you tell I'm excited?

JamOKnit
07-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I finally picked up my sock this past weekend and finished the cuff, the heel flap and turned the heel. Hopefully soon I'll be done and can post some pics for you all!

I love to see everyone's socks in progress...I'm debating which socks to do next! I have some solid color sock yarn in a pretty pink to work with...any suggestions for a good easy pattern? (I'm using Silver's Sock Tutorial for the current sock but would like to maybe try something with a stitch pattern)

dustinac
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
samm~ :woot:pretty sock!! It looks really good...I think you should give monkeys a try... if you get stuck just ask...I bet you will be fine though :thumbsup:

paper girl~ :happydance:very pretty!! I like those colors... I can't wait to see the monkeys!! :blooby:

Jamoknit~I can't wait to see the pictures, do you happen to have Sensational knitted socks (http://www.amazon.com/Sensational-Knitted-Socks-Charlene-Schurch/dp/1564775704/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9107060-9693453?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185847065&sr=8-1)? I just finished up the baby cable rib and it was a very cute pattern and easy to memorize...like samm though if you see a pattern you want to try I say go for it... we will be here to help...:happydance:

:woot:Knitwit can't wait till you can post photos!! I still get excited when I graft the toes together lol..

Becka~ :hug:

knitwit628
07-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I know! I am so excited!!! :)

But I have one question... In Silver's directions she says to knit until I am 2 inches from the desired length of the sock. I put the sock on and it is exactly 2 inches less than the tip of my toes. Should I start the toes now or knit a little further?

PaperGirl
07-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I would start it now. Thats what Ive always done...

DH laughs at me...I use my tape measure SO often during the foot part...he can tell when I get ready for the toes...:roflhard:

JamOKnit
07-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Yep, I start the toes at exactly 2 inches out. Worked so far!

knitwit628
07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
I finished my first sock!!! :woot:Here are the pictures. I promise I am going to do the second sock, but I really need to finish a baby blanket that I have to send to my sister before the end of August. I will definitely do my second sock after I finish the blanket. I pinky promise. :teehee: I will not let SSS get to me!!

Anyways, I used Silver's sock tutorial for one sock on 4 dpn's and used hand dyed yarn I bought. Info also on my blog (look in signature)

PaperGirl
07-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Pretty colors! Like cotton candy!

1to1
07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Isn't it hard to decide which ones to do next?!?! I have so many that I want to make but which to do first.:eyes:

I'm still working on my Jaywalkers but have been thinking about the next pair already. DS wants a blue & white striped (future school colors) pair of no show socks so I bought the yarn for that. I figure that will be quick & boring but I'm waiting for the book Favorite Socks from my LYS. I want to make them with the padded ankle sock pattern.

Then I also bought some solid purple for another pair. Cant decide if I want to try these or not. http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/09/bayerische_sock_part_ii.html I just think they are beautiful but I dont care for charts.

I know most of you probably have these sock sites as your favorites already but wanted to post them for the new socknitters.

http://www.knittychick.com/free_sock_patterns.htm

http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/

There are so many free patterns on-line that I have a 3" binder packed full and another started.

dustinac
07-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Knitwit~ it looks wonderful!!! I love those colors too... Good job!! :blooby:

1to1~ ohh thanks I didn't know interweave had put those patterns up..I'm the same way... I want to knit the Eunny socks too and that was going to be my next pair (or twisted flower) but some how I ended up with Victorian Lace on my needles...it is from the yahoo group Six Sox KAL... I think Eunny's will be next though... I need to read up on cabling with out a cable needle... I also like the penny sock (http://maiaspins.typepad.com/Patterns/PennySocksPattern.pdf) too... to many choices...

1to1
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
dustinac, OHHH another pretty one to add to my toe-up binder. :woot:I love that little guy.

I visit the Six Sox KAL too. I haven't made the VL--too many others that I want to do first. I like joining the Yahoo Sock Groups but they just don't have the volume as Amy does here. :shrug:

...dotty...
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Beautiful job, knitwit ! Love that yarn choice, too !:heart:
I went back to my kneesock that I left to do the Monkeys.........and I was totally lost. I tried to work in some changes, and wasn't happy with how the purl stitches looked in the striped yarn, so I frogged it.

I love the looks of that Eunny sock, but I don't understand the chart............those symbols are new to me, and I didn't see a key to explain them. Sometimes I wish that all knitting symbols were universal. But at the very least, I must have a key !:hair:

BunnyChick
07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Hiya,

I took a sock class about last winter, and am still working on finishing my first pair. I am going to try to finish within the next week or so. I don't have a lot of time to knit, and I'm struggling with turning the heel, but this will give me the kick in the pants I need to get it done!! :yay:

Eloewien
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm still debating which pattern I want to do-- the Fawkes phoenix pattern, monkey, Elfine or Wyvern... grr... too many choices!!!!

G J
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm finishing up the ribbing on my first pair of socks and am on the lookout for a good second pair--yarn and pattern. The first pair is made with Online Supersocke, but it's not the softest yarn. It sort of bothers my hands to knit with after awhile of knitting.
Any suggestions for nice (not too $$$) sock yarn?

Eloewien
07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
I started wtih online as well, not bad, but not great. I love wildfoote and trekking personally... wildfoote is really yummy!

dustinac
07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
dotty~ sorry the other pair wasn't working out... The link below takes you to part 2 of Eunny's patter.. here (http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/09/bayerische.html)is part one with the code...I'll prolly color code mine so I won't have to keep fighting with the chart...

bunnychick~ :happydance:Welcome!!!

GJ~ Knitpicks is a great place for sock yarn...I have tried several and they are soft... I didn't like dancing though :shrug:... I like cherry tree hill very soft... Patons Kroy isn't bad...

dustinac
07-31-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm still debating which pattern I want to do-- the Fawkes phoenix pattern, monkey, Elfine or Wyvern... grr... too many choices!!!!

I started Elfine but for some reason it looked huge... I had the gauge right but I think maybe the magic loop and me trying to get used to it threw it off...I'll try them again later on :teehee:

tootie44
07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Here is my sock so far, but I have a question. It is my first pair of toe up socks. Does this look like a good place to start the gusset increases, or should I go a little more? I'm thinking a little more. :think:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Tootie44/summertrip2007003.jpg

PaperGirl
07-31-2007, 11:45 PM
GJ~ Knitpicks is a great place for sock yarn...I have tried several and they are soft... I didn't like dancing though :shrug:... I like cherry tree hill very soft... Patons Kroy isn't bad...

Ill second this!

I just finished some...posted in here...with Memories in Pansy. Its soft to knit with, and the socks are so comfy!

cinnamon_girl
07-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Everyone!
Lovin' all the finished socks I'm seeing and wish I had better progress to report. After spending what free time I had on the weekend working on my sock and frogging it back to the cuff several times I came to the conclusion that my pattern is a bit off (really :wall:)
First it was fuzzy math on the heel flap and turning. (frog - frog). Then, for example, on the gusset it said to knit my first 12 heel stitches on 1 dpn, knit the remaining 12 heel stitches on a second dpn and pick up and knit 18 stitches along the side of the heel (you now have 26 stitches on the 2nd needle). Doesn't 12 + 18 = 30???
I continued on with my own version of the math and some help from a YH book (Knitting Rules).
But now that I've gotten through the gusset decreasing rounds I'm not totally happy with the overall proportions of the sock. The cuff is 7" and seems too long to me unless it's folded over and the heel seems bit baggy and wide. I decided to start over with a simple sock pattern I found online that matches my needle size and gauge. Am I crazy??? It calls for a twisted german cast-on, which I have to figure out!
Anyway, here's a picture of where I left off.
Please tell me I'm not crazy... or maybe I need to hear I am. I really want to like my first pair and right now I'm not thrilled with them. But I do like the process and after having redone it several times I think I have the basic formula down! lol!
Thanks for listening to my midnight ramblings!!

dustinac
08-01-2007, 08:03 AM
1to1, last night after I went to bed I thought oh no I forgot to reply about the six sox kal :wall:...I just joined but haven't posted yet... I seen the Victorian Lace on ravelry and thought ohh pretty!! :teehee: I really like the August sock too...

tootie44, I've only completed one pair of toe up socks... to me you look like you are close if not already there... they look good which pattern are you using?

cinnamon_girl, sorry you've had to fight through your first sock... sounds like you are figuring it out on your own and getting the idea of socks down... the best simple sock tutorial I've seen out there is silver's socks... they look good and I like those colors!! :thumbsup:

Papergirl~ohh I haven't tried memories will have to right that down... My sock yarn buying is on hold till I get my son ready and back to school lol...

tootie44
08-01-2007, 10:21 AM
tootie44, I've only completed one pair of toe up socks... to me you look like you are close if not already there... they look good which pattern are you using?

I am using this tutorial (http://www.socknitters.com/toe-up/index.htm)for a general idea on how to do toe up. I decide to do 6 more rounds after checking out Silver's sock class. :thumbsup:

1to1
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Yarn002.jpg
Jaywalkers WIP

The Jaywalker is an easy pattern to follow. I am using Trekking 134 on Size 2 Addi.

1to1
08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
tootie44-your sock looks great. Love the pattern and color. Its probably a good thing that you added a few more rows. I LOVE toe-up socks.

cinnamon_girl-i really like your socks. I never seem to make a full sock. We just like ankle socks so I just adjust the pattern to work for me.

dustinac-OMG that Aug pattern will be OTN soon. Are you going to try it?

...dotty...
08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Cinnamongirl, I'm with you............last time I checked, 12 and 18 made 30.......:lol: Probably just a typo on their part, though it should have been caught.

I like the looks of your socks..........my first ones were a totally ribbed cuff like that, and, like you, I only like that kind of cuff if it is folded over double. But it was a good learning pattern. Since then, most of my socks just have the standard one inch ribbing at the top, and then a stockinette leg or a pattern of some kind. As far as the heel goes, you'd just have to try it on to see if it's too big. It's going to LOOK too big, because the ribbed cuff will always 'squench up' tiny-looking. I try my socks on a MILLION TIMES while I'm knitting them. Sometimes I can divide the stitches over one more dpn, and be able to get the sock on, and sometimes I'll put half the stitches onto a circular needle's cable, or onto waste yarn. But I check the sock's fit continually !

But it does sound like you 'GET IT'. I remember when the 'light' came on for me.........I turned a heel on a pair of baby booties........up until then, I had only done flat or standard circular knitting, and I couldn't imagine how you got that sock going in a different direction down the foot !

It's still magic to me !:heart:

dustinac
08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
tootie~ thank you for the link... I'm glad you figured it out and can't wait to see them :happydance:

1to1~the jaywalkers are looking good, and I co to the Aug sock last night :teehee:... I think I might frog the Victorian Lace cause I like this one better but right now they are still on the needles too...

JamOKnit
08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Finished the heel and the decreases on my sock #2 and now am just knitting around until I get to the toes...it's a bit slow going but hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll have a completed pair!

1to1
08-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Dustinac, I started the Aug sock last night. :fingerwag: So far the pattern is pretty easy to follow but I'm going to make up a spreadsheet so that it is easier to follow. I don't care for charts.

This is the first time that I've let myself have 2 socks going at once. I figure I can work on my Jaywalkers when I need mindless knitting.

dustinac
08-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Jamoknit~ I can't wait to see them :happydance:

1to1~ I don't usually have 2 socks going at one time either but I couldn't wait to start the Aug. sock...I was thinking the same thing about the victorian lace it is pretty simple to do when the kids are up... I have to do something witht he charts...last night I was flipping back and forth from page 1/2... today I'm going to copy them all on one page :teehee:

samm
08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi all! Some great socking going on here isn't there! I love sock yarn. It's addictive and would be even if I never knit a single sock! I began a new sock last evening, A Bit of Lace (something like that!) that I found at KPCentral. I'm using a dk weight, Canadiana Colours, and it will make a thick winter sock. Keep on socking, friends! samm:woot:

...dotty...
08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
dustinac, what IS the AUGUST sock? I googled "six sox knitalong" and found the Victorian Lace one, but I don't know what other one you are talking about ...........I'm nosy ! I WANT TO SEE !:??

Please .........!

redheadrachel
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm working on some cabled socks right now :) I know people warned me that socks were addictive, but I just didn't fully understand... lol And now I've discovered that you can do ANYTHING with a basic sock pattern! I just picked out some cables I love, slapped them on my socks, and it's just pure bliss!

dustinac
08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
dustinac, what IS the AUGUST sock? I googled "six sox knitalong" and found the Victorian Lace one, but I don't know what other one you are talking about ...........I'm nosy ! I WANT TO SEE !:??

Please .........!

I'm sorry!! I thought I had put a link with Six Sox KAL (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Six_Sox_Knitalong/).. it is a yahoo group that you can join...this Aug sock is slow going for me...I'm trying to make the cables with no cable needle... I think it would be faster if I went back to the cn but I'm trying not to... :teehee:

samm~That is great!! I can't wait to see it :happydance:

redheadrachel~Welcome!! They are very addictive:teehee: and we I can't wait to see your cabled sock :blooby:

redheadrachel
08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Dustinac, don't give up on making the cables without a needle! At first it seems like it's more awkward to do it without the needle, but if you just keep working on it, it'll eventually be waaaay faster than before. Yesterday was my first day doing it whout the needle, but I've just kept working and it's pretty good now. I think it would be better if I had some KP dns instead of my annoyingly blunt bamboo ones, but it's still better than using a cable needle :thumbsup:

1to1
08-03-2007, 11:01 AM
samm, I was one of those people who said they would never knit socks.:fingerwag: I started in Feb, 07 and that is all that I've been working on.

I didn't get a chance to work on my Gansey Sock but I think I'm going to change the pattern a little since I'm not into hearts. The heart section is 11 stitches so I'm going tink and leave the 2 dec in & add a different 12 stitch pattern. Probably something with MORE CABLES.:shrug: I haven't tried going cable needleless but I think it would be :gah:.

...dotty...
08-03-2007, 12:43 PM
dustinac, thank you for the link..........I'm trying to decide if I should join yet another group. But I LOVE YOU GIRLS ! This is the best bunch of people !

redheadrachel, your enthusiasm is just so addictive ! I felt exactly the same way when I realized that once you got down the basics of sock-knitting, the world was your oyster ! Anything goes !

I started the "Nine to Five" pattern last night.
http://allbuttonedup.wordpress.com/2007/06/23/ninetofive/ (http://allbuttonedup.wordpress.com/2007/06/23/ninetofive/) The yarn I'm using is so dark that it's harder to see what I'm doing and it's slowing me down........not to mention the special stitch. But I think they could turn out sortof rich looking when I'm done. I don't really have enough yet to show, but you know I'll share when I get farther along.......if I get farther along ! I cast on over a size 8 needle, like always, so that the cuff would be plenty stretchy at the top, and it always works just fine for me; but, for some reason, with this particular yarn, it shows. The loops are really big and funny looking. I'm thinking of going on, because it's not SO noticable when I slip the sock on the foot, and this isn't my favorite yarn, so I just want to get another pair made. :oops: Sounds awful when I actually write it, but I got a really good buy on the yarn, and it wasn't the color I expected, so .............. you girls know what I mean?

I'm heading over to Etsy now to check the Fiber Friday thread.........everyone shows what they've been making during the week, and it's very inspiring.

jeanius80
08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
hi! i decided to join this KAL, even though i am so slow! i have a single jaywalker sock that i need to frog back to re-do the heel, and a pair of toe up Magic Loop (using silver tutorial) The ML socks are 2x2 rib on the instep, and i plan on ending them with a 1x1 border. i have been stuck on the heel, because i wanted to do a heel flap vs. the short row heel!
i found this (finally (http://mimknits.com/wordpress/?p=86)) on mimknits to be very helpful. i am off to do my heels then i 'll post pics tonight or tomorrow, whenever i get them done! :)
when i am done with the ribbed socks, i am starting a pair of red widdershins, in the cabled version, and then a pair of grey 2x2 ribbed socks for dh :mrgreen: Rachecl- socks are addictive! :heart:

dustinac
08-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Yesterday was sooo crazy... I tought going grocery shopping early would mean not very many people even though it was the 3rd... it was :wall:... so I came home, the kids had picked out some movies from the library along with their books, so they had a movie fest while I worked on my sock and unwinded...not sure if the heat and mugginess made everyone mean yesterday or what but it was crazy :teehee:

Rachel~ I'm sticking with it...is getting easier and faster for me... :thumbsup:

dotty~ I agree this is the best!! I know what you mean :teehee:

jeanius~ Welcome!! I can't wait to see your photos :blooby:

1to1~ I've made it to the heel on my first one... I'm really excited for this pair... I can't wait to see how you change up the heart section :happydance:

okey dokey I'm off to clean and hopefully work in some knitting time... I really need to work on the MS3 though... I thought this week was our last clue (clue 5) so thought oh just 2 clues behind... then I read that we have a total of 7 clues which means 2 more clues :teehee:...

threesmom
08-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Is it too late to join? I've never done socks, but I'm preoccupied with them - I've cast on a sock twice in the last week, and pulled it completely out before I had an inch on ribbing:frog:. I just get into a rhythm when a few stitches slip off, and I cant seem to get them back on the needle - so 2 or 3 stitches ends up being 6 or 8, so I just start all over. Should I switch to wood? - I'm using kp dpn size 3 and Trekking. I don't want the socks to beat me!

...dotty...
08-04-2007, 12:41 PM
threesmom, WELCOME !
The lovely dustinac set this knitalong up so that you can join at any point ! Hopefully it will stay at the top of the list and we will just keep it going. Since I start a new sock every other week, I know I check it constantly ! It sounds like you may be a 'loose knitter', if your stitches keep slipping off, so, yes, bamboo needles might work better for you. I use the metal ones, because I tend to put a lot of pressure on them when I do 'tricky' stitches, so I figured I'd break a needle per day if I used bamboo in the small sizes !:lol:

I have about 5 inches done on the shaft of the Nine to Five sock, and it looks SO SMALL. The pattern goes on and on about how stretchy it is, but I think I still should have moved up to a size 2 needle. It called for 1.5's and I didn't have them, so I went with 1's. I can get it on, but it's VERY snug.........and this is not superwash wool (if I shrink 'em, they'll have to find a little girl to go to !). I just hate to frog it.........it's looking quite elegant, and the stitch is so slow to do, even though I've developed somewhat of a rythym. (that word doesn't look like it's spelled correctly !)

Here's the photo from this morning .......on my flickr page........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/1008901690/

G J
08-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Threesmom,
I'm working my first socks on magic loop. I have a 40" size 2 needle and it works GREAT! I tried using DPN's, but I kept doing the same thing you're doing. That and having really weird looking joins!

threesmom
08-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome, dotty - I love your socks! :heart:they look fantastic - I would hate to frog them too!

GJ - I'm going to look at Silver's instructions for magic loop, see if it makes sense - I might have to try it! Do you have pictures of your progress? Either way - whether I get bamboo or a long circ, I'm going to have to order them, so maybe I'll keep trying until they get here on what I have. I'll have to prepare myself for lots of :hair:. I'm determined - I want to know what hand-knit socks feel like!

samm
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Where is the Nine to Five sock pattern please? Is it online? I like the look of it, and it doesn't look tooooooooo hard!!! I'm still working on my Bit of Lace sock, just turning the heel now. It's going very quickly with the light worsted yarn. Anyone here in Sock Wars last time??? I hope there's one soon. :woohoo:samm

1to1
08-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi to all the Socknitters,

Its great to see so many people joining this KAL and that it is the first sock for some of you. I highly recommend doing Silvers Tutorial.

I thought it would be fun for all of us to tell a little about our sock history.

My DD11 who is a lefty took a sock class in Jan.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks009.jpg

I started knitting socks in Feb and am addicted.

I started out doing Silver's Tutorial with ML but only did one at a time. I used Moda Dea Sassy Stripes - Sz 4.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks011.jpg

Baudelaire Lacy Toe Up Socks-Cascade Fixation White/Sz 4 (Fun & Easy Pattern).
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks016.jpg

Rainy Day Socks-varigated Cascade Fixation on Size 4 40" Addi (don't recommend varigated with this pattern).
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks017.jpg

MSKS Cross Ribbed Socks - Trekking on Size 1. :gah:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/2007266.jpg

Glen's Ribbed Sock - Trekking on Sz 1.:sleepy:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/2007269.jpg

Sweet Pea - Lorna's Lace-Flamigo Stripes (luv yarn) Sz 1.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/2007257.jpg

Jaywalker Socks WIP-Trekking 134 - Size 2.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Yarn002.jpg

I Love Gansey Socks WIP - Fortissima Socka 1014 35466 Size 1. (No Photo,yet)
Can you tell I'm proud of my socks?!:woot: I have a 3" binder full of free on-line patterns and 2 others started with tips, heels, toes, etc. I bought More Sensational Knitted Socks and just got Favorite Socks yesterday.

Please share your Sock History!! Now I realize some of you are veterans and probably have blogs so please share those here.

...dotty...
08-04-2007, 06:33 PM
samm.......follow this link..........

http://allbuttonedup.wordpress.com/2007/06/23/ninetofive/

and scroll down the page to the green sock. Under it, in the text, is a link to a pdf of the sock pattern. It takes a while to load after you agree, so she suggests that you click "I agree", and then go and do something else, so that you won't leave the link too early. It did load for me, obviously, so do give it a try, and be patient.

...dotty...
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Great idea, 1to1 ! Great progress !

My progress can be seen on my flickr page that you reach from the link in my signature. I knitted my first sock on my birthday, last November 26th, and the pictures in my knitting set on Flickr start with that pair, and continue through my last, the Monkeys. The sock pictures are in the order that they were knitted...........the other things came at all different times inbetween.:cheering:

cinnamon_girl
08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Hello everyone!!
I'm glad to see this KAL keep on growing and thank you dustinac for setting it up and encouraging us newbies.
As a new sock knitter I'm getting such great tips and inspiration from all you seasoned sockers. .:notworthy:

1to1 and dotty thanks so much for sharing your sock progress. I loved looking at all the pics... so many pretty colors and styles and patterns. It's easy to see why sock knitting is addictive. In fact, I'm eyeing up those Jaywalkers as my next sock (aren't I confident??):noway:
and dotty, I started knitting in 1982 when my girls were toddlers but I got away from it for a long time and have only been back at it for a couple of years.

So I'm doing my decrease rows on the gusset for the second time (after frogging my first sock). I'm following Silver's instructions :woohoo: and switched from using 4 dpns to the 3 and it's going well. I have to work tomorrow but I hope to have a picture of an almost finished sock one of the pair to share soon!

dustinac
08-05-2007, 10:24 AM
threesmom~ :woot:Welcome!!! When I first started knitting socks on dpns I would put my little girl's pony tail holders on the ends to keep them from slipping off so I only had to watch those I working on... agree that bamboo might be the best for you at least till you get the dpns down... I use both but I have snapped a bamboo dpn :teehee: and well my options are bent too esp. the 0s...

dotty~ they look great!! That pattern is really nice... of course it was added to my to do list...:teehee:

samm~I didn't join sock wars last time but it sounded like fun...can't wait to see the photos...

1to1~ Great idea and your socks look great!!! I have some of mine on flickr that I uploaded for ravelry...I just kinda choose which ones to put out there lol...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/sets/72157600430313122/

I need to get a photo of my gansey wip today...

cinnamon_girl~ :happydance: can't wait to see your photos!!

Well I didn't work on my MS3 yesterday or my socks...I made another bag for Katie our neice and I still need to do one for Haley her sister before this coming weekend.. but they are fast to do...:blooby:

Dotty~ I'm off to look at all your flickr pictures...:thumbsup:
eta: They look wonderful dotty!!!!

knitwit628
08-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Okay, I am going to start knitting my second sock. I was going to make a baby blanket for my sister's friend, but the plan didn't really follow through. The lady said she was going to pay me for my time and pay for the cost of the materials, but she wanted it by the end of August. At first she wanted it in about 2 weeks! In a way, I don't think she understands the time and effort being put into the blanket and that I am busy with other things. So, that didn't work out. Now I don't feel so pressured to work strictly on the blanket, but will knit it every once in awhile so that it is finished for when one of my siblings decides to have a baby.

Anyways, I tried to start my second sock yesterday when my mom, dad and I had to go to the emergency room, but for some reason I just couldn't start the sock... I just couldn't get it right at the moment. :doh:But I will try again today. (By the way, we went to the ER because my dad accidentally stepped on a concrete flower pot when he was lifting himself off a ladder, which made the flower pot roll, flipping my dad face first into the sidewalk. He ended up with many abbrasions, a cut, and fractured nose cartilage. He isn't exactly a pretty sight, but I am glad he didn't get a concusion or anything really bad.)

Anyways, enough of my ramblings... time to get knitting my sock! :teehee:

samm
08-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Wow! Alexandria I'm glad your dad wasn't more badly injured! It must have been scary, though, when he was hurt. :shock: samm

samm
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm loving this KAL. It's a never ending one! :cheering: It's great to meet people who are working on socks too, and to see the different patterns being used. And the yarn!!!! Ahhhhhhhh.... sock yarn...... (drool) I'm working on my first lace pattern with thick yarn, for warm winter socks. It's a very simple lace, and actually looks okay with the thick yarn. I wondered if it would. I do want to try it with a thinner yarn sometime. I'm working up my courage to do the Monkey socks. I have this gorgeous purple yarn downstairs, and some beautiful grey/beige/cream yarn. But I think the purple will be the Monkeys. I'm determined to be brave and will hope I can keep track of the pattern. It doesn't look difficult, but I know my memory! samm

knitwit628
08-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm working up my courage to do the Monkey socks.

Do it! Do it! :woohoo: You know you want to!

btw- thanks about my dad. :)

1to1
08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Knit-Glad your dad is ok. Make sure you take lots of pictures so you can tease him later. ER and being stressed probably wouldn't have been a great time to start a new sock.

Dotty & Dustinac-love all your socks!! I'm waiting to get invited to Ravelry (like 2000 ahead of me) to post my knitting projects. Flicker looks cool too but hate to do it twice. I've been using Photo Bucket.

Nobones
08-05-2007, 01:41 PM
:waah: That's it, I give up. I can't do it. I hate giving up on anything but this has got me beat.

Everyone has been posting such nice socks. All I get is this horrible ladder thing and the less said about the ribbing the better. I feel so bad that I can't do it especially seeing as my secret swapper sent me some gorgeous soft yarn to use for first pair of socks.

I don't want I'm doing wrong so I can't fix I keep making the same mistakes and then some knew ones.

:waah:

lissie
08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't have a single knitted FO since I started learning to knit (I started on a scarf but got bored with it) but decided what the heck, I shall be brave and try socks. Silver's sock class was really well written and I had no problem following. I've managed to finish one sock! :happydance:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1345/1019807548_c6af31de80_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lispics/1019807548/)

...dotty...
08-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Nobones ! Please don't quit..........I feel your pain !:grphug: Group hug, here !

Remind us what you're knitting with........2 circulars or magic loop, or dpns.

For the ugly tracks,

#1. Try to place your stitches so that the needle always begins with a knit stitch, not a purl stitch............I often rearrange and use stitch markers , so that I'll know what's what.

#2. When you begin to knit off of a new needle, knit the first stitch, pull your working yarn up snug, knit the second stitch (still holding that first stitch as snugly up against the needles as possible), and pull the yarn up snug on the second one, too.

#3. If all else fails, and the tracks aren't HUGE, you can wiggle around in them a little with your needle, and spread out the spacing to the stitches on either side.

Keep trying while you've got all this support...........geez, I wish I could help you IN PERSON !:hug:

jeanius80
08-05-2007, 03:08 PM
nobones- keep at it! i have 2 pairs of socks that never made it past the heels (toe up) and they are little kid socks :blush: it took me a week of reading and staring at my needles and 'sock' before i finally got how to do the heel. once it clicked i was off! i am working on the cuffs of my very first wool socks (worsted weight on size 7 :mrgreen: ) I think i will wear them as soon as i am finished ....
knitwit628- i hope your dad is feeling better!
1to1 & dotty-great socks! they are so addictive! i really need toget over my fear of charts so i can do monkeys and pomotamus's and all sorts of lovely socks!

...dotty...
08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
By the way............I captured a moment in time back when I tried to knit socks on circulars.......I think this attempt was at knitting socks on two circulars........I didn't have a needle long enough to try Magic Loop.

I NEVER could get rid of the tracks:cry:, so I went back to dpns.:lol:

threesmom
08-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh Nobones - don't give up! I won't, and I can't even get to the point to complain about tracks!! :help: I pledge to commiserate in frustration with you!

Thank for the tip about hair elastics, Dustinac - I might have to try that, but I'm finding I often lose stitches when I'm coming to a join, and there are only a few stitches left, and then they just slip off the front. It's even more frustrating because I like working with dpns, and have done it successfully before - just not with sock yarn! I'm going to look at magic loop - hopefully it will make sense.

I'm off to try yet again! Wish me luck. I'm inspired by all the beautiful socks you all are making!

dustinac
08-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Nobones, don't give up!! If you can find this dvd (http://www.tradewindknits.com/)...Lucy Neatby did it after her book Cool Socks, Warm Feet was such a hit... my mom won the dvd and it gave her the courage she needed to let me guide her down the sock road last time I was in... she gives all kinds of pointers and tips and one has to do with ladders... I have also read some tips about it.. if you do a search for ladders (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php?searchid=216327)on KH it will bring up some posts... like dotty said make sure you are pulling the first two stitches tight.You can do it!! :thumbsup:

knitwit~ So glad your dad is ok!! :hug:

samm~ I think you should give Monkey a try...:happydance:

1to1~ I read today on the forums over at Ravelry that they hope soon we won't need flickr for the photos.. I'll do a happy jig when that happens :teehee:

lissie~Great job!! Love those colors!! :happydance:

jeanius~ Please, give charts another try... we can help ya!!

threesmom~ I hope the magic loop helped or the bamboos... I have tried magic loop once and even though I had my gauge I lost it somewhere and they were wide socks... I hope to give it another try soon...

On the I love Gansey sock from the Six Sox KAL... I think I'm going to change the heel.. just not sure that one would be comfy in a shoe...I still need to find the perfect show off your socks shoes :teehee:... I haven't had time to work with the heel today.. maybe once the kids go to bed I can...

G J
08-05-2007, 10:58 PM
You asked for pictures of my sock on magic loop. This is my second sock. I LOVE ML! NO TRACKS AT ALL!!!!:woot:

I tried a baby bootie on DPN's and just couldn't get it. For THESE socks, I used Silver's tutorial for ML toe-up, but only did one sock at a time. I also did the Turkish CO, which is EASY and looks awesome! I can show details if you want.

...dotty...
08-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Love your pictures on flickr, too, dustinac ! Especially the little munchkin wearing the pointy felted hat !:muah:

I have a 3 yr old granddaughter, and I love those little round cheeks !

samm, DO try the Monkeys....and try using the chart rather than the instructions......it really is easier for just glancing !

lissie, that sock looks wonderful.......I started out with Magic Stripes yarn too, and I now have 3 or 4 skeins in that colorway that you used............don't know what exactly I'll do with mine. Probably socks for the daugher and grandbabies...........can't count on her to handwash and dry !:waah:

GJ, that's fantastic ! The GREAT KNITTING GODDESS, above, thought that I was getting just a little too big for my pants, telling people how to avoid tracks like I was an expert............sooooooooooooooooo.......ever since turning my heel on this 9 to 5 sock, I'M GETTING TRACKS ! Calls for a little humility, I think ! (plus a little fudging around with a needle when I'm done.....hope that'll do it !):oops:

Good luck, threesmom.......you'll figure it out......you sound determined !:wall:

jeanius, I suggest that you try a chart on a swatch, and give it a go ! I have trouble with ones that involve cables......they're harder to read, but the Monkey one is especially easy.

Oh, knitwit.......your poor dad ! Glad it was more embarrassing than damaging ! I imagine he does look a little rough, though, taking it on the face !:cry:

And thanks, 1to1, for the compliment........I LOVE SOCK KNITTING as much as I ever did quilting ! And the turn around time is much better !

dustinac
08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
dotty~ thank you, you know before I made the hat all I heard was 'when you making the hat' then after I made it... she didn't want to wear it at all.. it was fun that day getting pictures :teehee:my kids are the opposite of what I expected my son is quiet and laid back... my little girl is not quiet, never sits still, and always into something...:shrug:

GJ~ That is great!!! :woot:

Well it is a rainy day here and no sun... so the pictures don't really show the cable...you can see it in the sock very well... I decided to change the heel and went with a short row heel... The yarn is Opal and that is all I know cause the rest isn't in English.. I got it from little knits and suppose to be a limited edition...You can't really see the hearts till I try it on...I'll take a better picture later or have dh take one of it on my foot... :teehee:

ETA: I forgot to say that the Victorian Lace socks lost yesterday...I decided I wanted to do another sock pattern (not sure which one) so they were frogged lol...maybe later on down the road... I wasn't digging the yarn with the pattern anyways lol...

threesmom
08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
GJ - I LOVE your socks!! And lissie - so impressive!

I'm so excited!! I got to about an 2" yesterday, only dropped one or two stitches, and was able to fix them!! :cheering: It gets easier as you go - woo hoo!

rorygilmore
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
WOOHOO! The socks for my dad are done! :woot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/IMG_0110.jpg

The yarn is KP's Memories in Yukon, knit on us 3 needles. Pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks(best book ever!)

1to1
08-06-2007, 12:26 PM
It is awesome to see so many new socks.

GS-Looks great.

RoryGilmore-Your dad will love them. DD and I still tape all the Gilmore shows and watch them together each night.

Here's my Gansey Sock-WIP. I'm just starting on the heel flap (DD just likes no-show socks).
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/SocksGansey.jpg

jeanius80
08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
1to1- i am using the same yarn for my dh's socks (your purple fortissima). what needle size are you using? i started a gauge swatch on addi's (size 2mm) It seems too tight.

also, i finished my ribbed worsted weight socks! i'll post pics later when dd is napping ;) the heels aren't pretty, but i'll wear them!

...dotty...
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
threesmom........YAY !:woohoo: That's been the best part for me, in learning to knit this time around ..........being able to recognize what's wrong, and FIX IT !

rorygilmore, those socks look yummy !:heart: I keep meaning to tell you that your etsy store link (in your signature) doesn't work for me. I wanted to see your shop, several times now, but it just gives me an error page !

...dotty...
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Hooray, jeanius ! :woohoo:I bet they'll be so warm and cushy in that worsted weight !

jeanius80
08-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Hooray, jeanius ! :woohoo:I bet they'll be so warm and cushy in that worsted weight !
they are! and the color makes me happy too!:happydance:
I :heart: SOCKS :inlove:

jeanius80
08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
here they are!
specs:
yarn-dream in color classy, "cool fire-110"
needles-KP circular, size 7
pattern- Silvers Magic Loop tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/printready/2mlsocksprint.htm).
mods- I added 2x2 ribbing to the instep, did a heel flap, and the cuff was 2x2 ending in 1x1 and used a bind off from here (http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/stretchy.htm)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/1032423710_58da93b0f4.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1063/1032423558_5282a4751d.jpg

rorygilmore
08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
dotty, I fixed the link to my etsy site. I can't believe it's been wrong this whole time. :hmm:

Jeanius80, I love the color of those socks. I've been wanting to try magic loop on socks but I need to buy a larger cable for my Options. It is hard to do with socks?

...dotty...
08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh, my gosh, rorygilmore ! I wish I had said something earlier..........you dye the most gorgeous colorways ! That one that just sold is exactly what I was looking for last week.........the purple and turquoise ! I spent my money on some others that I don't like nearly as well ! (Surprised to see the new 'sold' wording on sold items, rather than the price..........don't know if I'm going to like THAT or not. I like to see how much something was before I request something similar.........I guess a person can always ask ! I'm asking, by the way !) Feel free to pm me !

jeanius80
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
rorygilmore-well, i have tried two circs and i like ML better, less ends flopping around. i haven't tried DPN except for hats. i like ML enough (and i can do cuff down or toe up) so i don't see me doing it any other way now :heart: (BTW-i used the 32" cable- it was long enough)
lovely yarns! i really like the firefly colorway! and we share a birthday! yay us :)

cinnamon_girl
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, I have a finished sock!! It fits pretty good, though the intended recipient is middle dd. I'll have her try them on when she comes for a visit this weekend. Maybe if I :knitting::knitting::knitting: I'll have the mate done.
I'm casting on first thing in the morning on my train ride into the city. :woohoo:

The yarn is Tofutsies and I followed Silver's tutorial.:cheering: The toe grafting part was really well done. Thank you!!

So what sock is next??? I'm thinking the Jaywalkers. (Aren't I ambition??) But what's your favorite yarn for those?

dustinac
08-07-2007, 07:30 AM
:woot: Look at all the pretty socks!!!

1to1~ I like that color :happydance:

rorygilmore~those look wonderful your dad will really like them :blooby:

jeanius~Great job and love that color!! :happydance:

cinnamon_girl~ she will love them, great job!! I haven't knitted the jaywalkers so can't help ya there...:teehee:

It is sooo hot here and this week that is just how it is going to be... with the temps in the 90s and the humidity making us feel like the 100s... we have had a very mild summer so I can't complain... but for some reason this has given me more knitting time... I've been getting my house to do list out of the way early while it is still cool (we don't have central a/c, just 2 window a/c)the kids are feeling it to and have been just content playing with their toys in their rooms... we head outside for a very short time before they are ready to head back in...anyways I was able to finish the first Gansey sock yesterday... will see how far I get today on the 2nd.:teehee:

Fleurs
08-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Ohh i m happy for this KAL , actually this will be my first socks i will put more details later.

Everyone doing great.

JamOKnit
08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Beautiful socks, everyone!!! Wow, I am so impressed!

I have cranked the AC up at my house so that I can stay cool while knitting....LOL.

1to1
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I only got a couple rows done last night.

Jeanie- Used Size 1 Addi for that yarn. I love your ribbed socks that look great.

Rory- Iíve tried but ML and 2 circulars. I like them both but hate to go out and buy all new 40Ē.

CinnamonGirl- I recommend doing the Jaywalkers. There is a photo posted on Pg 14 of my Jaywalkers-WIP.

Jan & Dustinac- It is 93 feels like 104 with 56% humidity. :passedout: After I get off work and after I take DD for school supplies, I plan to sit and knit (but that usually doesnít happen).

Dotty- Where do you order sock yarn? Have you tried The Loopy Ewe? Itís a good 2 hr drive to St. Louis but man Iíd sure like to check out their store. http://www.theloopyewe.com/

lissie
08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I have some minor laddering on my lone sock so I'm hoping to learn the ML method too if it'll eliminate those ugly tracks. My longest circ is 32" though I wonder if that's long enough?

Jeanius, love your socks. The colour is gorgeous. :yay:

dotty, the magic stripes yarn is machine washable, I think. :)

Sock knitting really is addictive. I can't wait to buy more sock yarn and knit more socks although I barely wear them. :lol:

...dotty...
08-07-2007, 01:41 PM
dustinac, your weather sounds exactly like ours......I'm in Oklahoma.........we thought it would never stop raining, and now, it's so hot that I think the wool is going to felt as I knit it ! Trying not to run the air con just so that I can knit.......so I wait until late evening, and knit under the night air that the fan brings in.

Yes, Magic Stripes is machine washable, and I've even dried my socks from it in the dryer........makes them SO soft !

I buy Magic Stripes at my local Hancocks fabric store (the only craft store here carries every yarn ever made by Red Heart......yuk !) , and get almost everything else on Etsy..........I'm constantly scouring the site for bargains.........I just can't pay $20. to $25. per pair of socks, no matter how much I enjoy the making of them. Even at $5. to $14., I consider that part of that cost is for good, clean entertainment ........:lol:

I haven't tried the Loopy Ewe, but I think they have the wonderful plastic sock blockers that I lust after.

I also lust after that color in your socks, Jeanius.........I love them.........is that a coral, or is it looking different on my screen?

cinnamongirl, that sock looks wonderful ! I think the second one always goes quicker, too. You COULD finish by this weekend ! I haven't done the Jaywalkers yet....I think I prefer stretchier patterns.

I finished the heel gusset decreases last night and am crawling along toward the toe on the first sock of my 9 to 5's.........this yarn has had atleast 4 bad spots, making me cut and rejoin, but it has the most incredible stretch built in (with NO elastic content). I just ordered sportweight for $5.00 per 4 oz. skein this past weekend, and I look forward to the bigger gauge moving more quickly ! You can knit for HOURS with some of this sock yarn, and only have an inch of progress to show for it ! Of course, I do stop to admire my work quite often:oops:........I'm still amazed that I can make socks !

I don't mean to leave anyone out in my responses.......it's so hard to remember everyone's comments, so I only answer the ones I can see on the page below me.................but BELIEVE ME, I am LOVING all of the participants in the knitalong ! So glad you're all here and sharing !:muah:

jeanius80
08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
dotty- the color is very pink with bits of lavender, hot pnk, coral, dark pink, and pale pink. very pretty!:inlove: they do have a more pachy colorway too. my LYS was having a sale (20% off) so instead of 16.95 it was about 13 a skein.:happydance: she only has the worsted weight right now though. she's getting another shipment in about 10 weeks.. i am hoping some of it will be the sock weight!:pray:

JamOKnit
08-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Lissie, I am having some minor laddering too on the sock I'm working on....didn't notice it really on sock#1 but for some reason it seems more pronounced on #2. Hmmm... maybe I'll have to learn ML too!

G J
08-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Lissie,
KnitPicks says you can do ML on 32" needles. I've been using a 40"Addi Turbo, but I just ordered size 1 32" KP circulars. I'm sure it will be fine, since the 40" is REALLY long and I don't think I need that much cable.

...dotty...
08-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh my gosh..........you girls have GOT to see these new socks on the Magknits site....for August 2007 !

http://www.magknits.com/Aug07/patterns/ruffled.htm (http://www.magknits.com/Aug07/patterns/ruffled.htm)

Whoa !

Gotta try them ! Ooh, I have to MAKE myself finish the ones I'm on right now !

misstialouise
08-07-2007, 07:54 PM
They are CUUUTE...

I haven't made any progress on my socks ... I'm even thinking I'll need to frog them and go down a needle size.

mmmm....

jeanius80
08-07-2007, 07:58 PM
that ruffled sock is very cute!

...dotty...
08-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I finished ONE !:happydance:
Some of these socks seem to take so much longer than others !

Anyway, here's a picture..........I have a few open looking stitches, that I've tried NOT to share.........and a special little freeby that I got without even knowing it....... nice little nubby flaw for the bottom side of my foot ! And I hope all those joins won't feel like a rock in my shoe.......darned knotty yarn !:hair:

Nine to Five sock.........google it for the free pattern.

jeanius80
08-08-2007, 01:12 AM
very nice!
about the blob-my socks have a ply broken near the toe on one... i just pretend it's not there. plus, on one heel, i accidently slipped the stitches the wrong way. and for a knitter, it's noticable :blush:

dustinac
08-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Good hot sticky icky morning :teehee:...good to read I'm not the only one stuck by a fan or the a/c unit lol...I haven't been able to get through the first pattern repeat on the 2nd Gansey sock... maybe today I will...Last night I was right where I couldn't stop working a cable section...when my kitten stole my finished Gansey sock... when I could finally stop, I had to look everywhere for her...she was upstairs in bed with my son and there was my sock...told her she better be glad she didn't put a hole in that sock :teehee:

Fleurs~ Welcome :happydance:

lissie~ I used a 24" circ when did ML so you wouldn't have any problems with a 32... prolly what I need to go up to... I wear the socks in the fall/winter but usually they are shoved into a boot...I'm hoping to find a shoe this season to where with them that people can see them :teehee:

dotty~ the socks look great!! I have trouble spending that on yarn too... always feel guilty so I wait for sales...I'm still waiting to try socks that rock and koigu...I'm thinking Christmas :happydance:...I don't like yarn that I have to fight with or cut.. this Opal was a mess in the center took me forever to get it all worked out...

1to1~I go to the loopy ewe and drool but haven't bought anything from them...they have beautiful yarn...

Jeanius~I bet they are ok... you might be the only one who can tell.. sometimes I think wow that stands out like a sore thumb and then another knitter will see it and be like ohhh so pretty and nice...:oo:

Jamoknit~ it is very easy to do ML and the other day when I was googling ladders they had tips for ML ladders and 2 circs... I haven't tried 2 circs yet that will be next :teehee:

Those ruffled socks are cute!! My next pair is going to be for my grandmother...she is a breast cancer survior of 9 years but had another situation come up this summer...I have the free pattern for the bc socks.. but I'm thinking I might do something else for her...I'm going home this weekend for a week to see her and everything... then school will start and I won't go home till Christmas... I won't be able to get on a computer while at home either, please keep posting your wonderful pictures and posts...I love this KAL we seem to be getting to know one another, while making wonderful socks :thumbsup:

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Cast on for my Monkeys last night, and had TWO screwups.

ONE involved forgetting the 5th needle, and just knitting onto the needle I just finished...I realized that halfway through the row, and STUPID me...I tinked back, instead of just sliding them to the 5th needle. :doh:

AND, in that process, I saw that near the FIRST row theres some weird hole like a dropped stitch, and I cant figure out how to fix it.

Im only like 5 rows into the ribbing, and SERIOUSLY debating on frogging. I mean, it only took me like an hour to get this far...

I just really really really really hate casting on and joining. :roflhard:

G J
08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
If you're like me, you won't be happy if you leave it. I'd frog it. But try using the Turkish CO instead of CO and Joining. (You're doing toe-up, right?) I found it REALLY easy. I have big feet, so I CO 13 loops which is going to be 26 sts. Then k1 row and continue with your increases. Here's (http://misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/1/30/turkish-cast-on-tutorial.html) a tutorial for 2 socks at once and here's (http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html)the tutorial I used for just the Turkish CO.

...dotty...
08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Papergirl, I'm so excited that you've started your Monkeys..........if you're using the standard Monkey pattern, it's knitted cuff-down, right?
If I were you, I would go ahead and start again if you're not happy with that start. I DIDN'T start again, on this first 9 to 5 sock that I just knitted, because I kept thinking my cast-on would look better as I got farther along (DUMB IDEA !:hair:), so, now, even though I hate the top of this sock, I HAVE to knit the next one the same way to match. It works, but comes awfully close to rolling. But once I had invested time into that stitch, I just couldn't face reknitting what I had. And I really think that I'm the only one that'll even notice. Geez, this is a constant learning process, but, hey, maybe it'll keep the Alzheimers away ! I'm definitely using my brain.........part-time. anyway !

Hey, I've been wanting to ask............this may just be because I've only been knitting for a year, but do you guys mark all over your pattern as you go along? I have counting marks for every row, and check marks here and there for different instructions. I do it all in pencil and then erase when I'm done, unless I think I'll need it for the next time I knit that pattern. I often think I could knit much faster if I didn't have to pick up the pencil after each round, but I can't read my knitting with some of these patterns, to be able to know where I stopped, or what I did on the last row !

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I frogged, but Im not doing toe up. I havent mastered that yet. And I dont have a circular small enough for Magic Loop.

Im just doing plain old cuff first DPNs. :roflhard:

G J
08-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I frogged, but Im not doing toe up. I havent mastered that yet. And I dont have a circular small enough for Magic Loop.

Im just doing plain old cuff first DPNs. :roflhard:
ML requires a LONG circ, not a short one. I've heard anything from 24 to 40" works great.

G J
08-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Dotty,
Marking your pattern is a good idea. For the first two years I knit, I re-wrote every pattern with check boxes for each row. I don't do that anymore, but I still mark the pattern so I can match front and back, first sock, second sock, etc. I also used to use lifelines about every 4 rows, but I don't do that so much anymore either. I still use them; just not as much.

...dotty...
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for responding, G.J.........I'm glad to know I'm not an oddball in YET another way ! :lol:

And I started to write that very thing to Papergirl, about Magic Loop, but then I thought that maybe she meant 'that small a needle' as in size 1 or 2, rather than length.
Right, Papergirl?:??

dustinac
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm the same way if I don't like something it is best for me to frog it...will bother me all the way through if I don't...

I keep a notebook that I write down Pattern, who it is for, needle size, yarn, date started/finished and then keep track of my rows and anything I change... this way if I ever make this pattern again I have it down on record without marking on my pattern... I've also heard keep your patterns in the plastic protective sheets and then use one of those dry erase markers... you can just wipe the cover off when you are done... I have weird quirks (just ask dh) so I wouldn't be able to write on my pattern and then erase... it would drive me crazy :oo: (I can't even try the marker thing above even though all my patterns are in protective sheets)...I do make copies of charts and color code those... :shrug:

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
ML requires a LONG circ, not a short one. I've heard anything from 24 to 40" works great.

I meant needle size. :)

Ive got a notebook to write my likes/dislikes/etc on patterns, but so far, I havent changed any patterns Ive tried.

BostonBecca
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi! I am currently knitting my first sock! It's on my blog and on ravelry if you want to check it out. I am doing Jaywalkers by Grumperina for my sock.

rorygilmore
08-08-2007, 07:45 PM
dotty, your sock looks awesome!

I'm working a new sock pattern from Socktopia, its the Msytery Sock pattern. She's giving us parts of the pattern each Monday, this week we are working on the cuff. I thougth this sounds really fun. I can knit both socks at the same time but I have to put one on a holder, since I don't have a second set of needles. oh well.

PaperGirl, Don't give up on the Monkeys, that is such a great pattern!

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 10:28 PM
I have frogged the stupid thing TWICE today! To make a grand total of three froggings, and I have YET to get out of the ribbing! :roflhard::roflhard::nails:

But I think Im finally on the right track...

lissie
08-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Dustinac, that's good to know! I'm trying to find a tutorial that shows how to do a toe-up with ML one at a time rather than 2.

Maybe you can wear the socks with mary-janes? They seem to show off socks rather prettily. :)

dustinac
08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Good Morning!! Last night I finished my 2nd cuff :woot:so excited that I don't have those 4 cables back to back anymore... the foot goes faster...

bostonbecca~ :happydance:congrats on your first sock!! I'll check out the photos when I head over to ravelry :thumbsup:

rorygilmore~ohh that sounds like fun.. I like the socktopia patterns... I'll have to check the mystery out...

Papergirl~:teehee: I'm glad your on the right track and can't wait to see them... all the talk about monkeys makes me wanna give them a try.. just gotta figure out where on the to do list...

lissie~I had been thinking of Mary Jane's too but haven't seen any around... I might have to go look online after I finish getting my son ready for the school year.. Thank you!! :thumbsup:

I hear little feet upstairs so off to get breakfast ready... and I'm hoping today I can work on my heel and foot of the sock...really love to have it doen by tomorrow...:happydance:

1to1
08-09-2007, 12:30 PM
About marking up patterns, I make a copy of my pattern and usually write on the back of the picture side. I write down everything. Yarn, needle size, start date, finish date, and I mark each row. Rib, pattern, heel flap, turn heel, gusset, foot, toe, etc.

This is what helps me in following a pattern. I use a magnetic board and put it along with the pattern in a plastic sleeve. I have the pattern on one side and the chart on the other. I move a magnetic ruler as I go and mark things down on the sheet that I keep to the side.

I have a binder that I keep the marked up patterns in a plastic sleeve along with yarn label, receipt, piece of yarn, and a picture. Yes, Iím new at socks and I wish I would have done this with all my other projects.

1to1
08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
dustinac...were we separted at birth?!? people just don't understand, do they? it just makes things easier, doesn't it? last year at the after school sales at walmart, i bought a ton of those plastic sleeves and i've used most of them. i'll be looking for them again at the end of sept.

...dotty...
08-09-2007, 01:31 PM
We're all SO FUNNY, with all our little quirks and 'no-no's'...........

And the funniest thing to me, is that there's nothing I'd rather do than be knitting a sock, so why am I always in such a hurry ! OOh, I've almosted reached the heel..........so glad when this foot is done.........number two started, maybe I'll finish by the weekend........:roflhard::rofl::roflhard:

What's the hurry ? :?? Well, some of you are trying to make gifts, but I'm usually knitting for myself, and you'd think the house was on fire !

Fleurs
08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
:happydance:i finish the first sock , and i m beginning the second to make a pair more details and picture in my blog.
Thank you.

cinnamon_girl
08-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Very nice first sock fleurs :cheering::cheering:
I love the pattern. That's really amazing for your first attempt.

And you may have all seen the post over on General Knitting about the half price sale at knit2purl2.com but in case you are in need of some stash replenishment every yarn on the site is reduced 50%. I placed an order for some Tofutsies ($8 a skein) and a couple of others things including the often lusted after Malabrigo. Apparently she's doing a brisk business and some people have gotten an e-mail about substitutions for color but so far I haven't heard so hopefully my order is intact.

On the sock front working on the heel flap of sock #2 (no SSS for me!!)

1to1
08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I've already done my damage. I ordered enough sock yarn to last like
F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Some that I've never used but have seen mentioned. OH I can't wait to get it!!!

JamOKnit
08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I definitely took advantage of that 50% off sale! :woohoo:
I ordered some Mmmmmalabrigo (my first ever, can't wait to fondle it) and some Lorna's Laces for my next pair of socks! But for now, here's the final finished product, my first-ever homemade socks! :woot:The yarn is Knitpicks Memories in Rocky Mountain Dusk.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Diana74/Knitting%20projects/socksfirst.jpg

cinnamon_girl
08-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Yea, I tried to resist too 1to1, but my credit card snuck out of my wallet and into my hnd when I saw the words 50% off!!
And JamOknit I ordered my first Mmmmmalabrigo too!! Love your finished first ever PAIR of socks:cheering::cheering::cheering:
Great colors!!!

Reminds me, I showed a co-worker my single sock today when she asked to see it and apparently she was pleasantly surprised... "Wow, it's like a real sock you can like actually wear!!!"

threesmom
08-09-2007, 09:21 PM
What is this knit2purl2 of which you speak???? Malabrigo:heart: ... 50%off??!? Tofusties for $8??? Big sale?!? Why haven't I been there yet!!

Is that what socks would look like in my KP Memories?! Very nice JamOKnit!

Oh and PaperGirl - I feel your pain! I have frogged more than I care to admit. I had :oo: .... holes! I thought about just going along with them, but, I just couldn't. And I'm only doing ribbing :help:.

And a question: if I'm following Silver's sock class, and she recommends doing ribbing all the way down, is it necessary, or can I just switch to stockinette? I know it's supposed to be looser - but how much?

rorygilmore
08-09-2007, 09:27 PM
JamOKnit, your socks look great! I have that same sock yarn. Seeing your socks makes me want to break it out!

G J
08-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm SO GLAD i learned how to fix dropped and twisted or wrongly knit stitches! MUCH less frogging! KnitFix is a good book for that, as are the videos on this site! YAY THanks, AMY and your DH for the great videos.:cheering:

...dotty...
08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Sadly, that site doesn't seem to take money orders, so I'm out again ! Oh, well.........some things take care of themselves........like my BUDGET ! :lol:

threesmom, how many stitches are in your sock, and how tight is the cuff? If the ribbing is stretching out, the stockinette would probably not be too loose for your foot. You could probably move down a needle size, if you thought that it might be loose.

Fleur, I love that sock ! And a yummy caramel color of yarn.......is that right? Gorgeous !

GJ, KnitFix saved the first sweater I knitted for my 3yr old granddaughter..............I made the ribbed neckline too small to get over her head, and KnitFix taught me how to salvadge it !

JamOKnit, your socks look fantastic, and your legs look like the smoothest wax job ever.......hee !:oops:

cinnamongirl, I love that coworker's reaction......."you can, like, actually wear !"

cinnamon_girl
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
dotty, your budget definitely thanks you!! And it sounds like KnitFix is a must have addition to the knitting library here at home.

jamOknit, I just noticed you have the ballet camisole OTN. I have that on my "would like to do list". What yarn are you using? How is it coming along?

dustinac
08-09-2007, 11:42 PM
:woot:I love Gansey is Done :woot:

They would have been done sooner but I messed up on the heel and had to frog.. when I replaced the sts for the heel I didn't have the hearts going down the center of my leg but to the side.. of course I didn't notice till I had the heel done :teehee:...then we lost power dh though it was pretty funny me trying to knit socks with the flash light being held between my face and shoulder...I really like them in this sock yarn but of course my pictures don't show them off very well... it is a more slate/gray color with specks of red and blue through it...

1to1~ Ohh I print these (http://www.kathrynivy.com/patterns/extras/knitting-journal/)off and have a binder with all my FOs...:teehee: I love the protective sheets too.. I like to organize...my dh *loves* it too... everything has it's own binder with lace and socks being the fullest...

dotty~ I'm that way too...I'm enjoying the sock I'm working on but I want it off the needles so I can start another pattern...:teehee:

Fleur~ :happydance:Great socks!!! I have that book and though eh... one or two patterns...but now I keep seeing a lot of socks I want to make and go looking for where it came from and it is that book...

JamOknit~ohhh pretty colors!! You did a great job!! :happydance:

I looked at the sale...but I'm trying to get Isaiah ready for school and everything so I basically just drooled...

Sock info
Pattern: I love Gansey from Six Sox KAL
Yarn: Opal
Needle: 0 Dpns
:woot: First time making cables with no cable needle...

...dotty...
08-10-2007, 01:13 AM
:hot:Another scorcher, today..........by the time it cools up enough to knit, you're exhaused from fighting the humidity ! Still, I made good progress, and am about 9 rows from starting the heel on the second sock. I could get there tonight I guess, but think I'll go jump under a cold shower instead ! I'm loving these socks.........not loving doing this stitch......it slows me down to a crawl,.......but the socks feel SO GOOD, and look really nice to me ! I wish I had gone ahead and made the cuffs the full 7 inches tall, but 5 1/2 inches is not bad.

I, too, am now constantly on the lookout for 'sock showing' shoes ! I love to scan garage sales, so that I can pick up any that will fit,..........that's what I dread most about cool weather coming........the garage sales will grind to a halt soon !

Dustinac, I can just picture you with that flashlight ! Now that's a determined knitter !:thumbsup: Another successful pair of finished socks................just lovely ! AND a new skill under your belt, too !:woohoo:

JamOKnit
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Dustinac, what a beautiful pair of Ganseys! And I LOVE that blue color!

Cinnamon, I am doing the Ballet Camisole in Knit Picks Shine Sport in Cherry. (can you tell I made a killing at KP last time I ordered? LOL) I'm only about halfway up the body of the sweater so far, on the increasing part. It looks good so far!

I think instead of another pair of socks I am going to CO for the Fiber Trends clogs....I've had the yarn and the pattern for about 8 months and it is time to get started!!!

esiuol
08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
I always wanted to learn how to make socks and I think this would be a great motivation since I just bought a knit sock book the other day. It seem hard to knit with dpn but here goes nothing.

BostonBecca
08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
You don't have to use DPN's. You can use Magic Loop (I do!) or two circulars, both of which have videos from Amy on this site.

I find Magic Loop to be really easy and fast.

dustinac
08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
esiuol~ Welcome!! :happydance:

Amy has a video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/)on the site with magic looping ...and then Silver (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm)has a guide to knitting on circulars and dpns...dpns can be annoying to anyone starting out on them just takes time getting used to them...first few rounds are the hardest...:thumbsup:

Has anyone made this (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=100&d_id=19&lang=en)pattern before? I don't know why I'm looking for new patterns when I have so many I already want to knit...:teehee:

1to1
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I ordered some Mmmmmalabrigo Little Lovely (my first ever, too). I will probably make a scarf.
These were my other indulgences.:woot:

12 skeins of Lornaís Lace (thatís 6 pairs!!!)
1- Sockotta (6674)

Never used these before:
2- SWTC Tofutsies (723 Put your foot down)
2- Crystal Palace Panda Cotton (0435 Blueberry Grape)

Ok, so it wonít last me forever (darn). :think: Must resist going back.

Cinnamon, I got an email about my order but nothing about not being in stock. This is my first time buying yarn off the internet so weíll see how it goes. I do feel sorry for her for going out of business. It amazes me how much prices are marked up.

Dotty, I think the hurry up process is because we have sooo many that we want to make and never enough time. I agree with you though, I do enjoy making them so why not slow down.

Fleurs, I love your Spirales. I havenít really had a chance to look though my Favorite Sock book.

Dustinac, congrats on the finished Ganseys-they really do look nice. Iím still knitting away on my GanseyÖIím on the gusset. Checked out that pattern and can see that youíre having fun with cables, uh?

This is the journal that Iíve used http://www.sockamaniac.com/PDF%20Files/Sock%20Project%20Sheet%20Best%20Final.pdf (http://www.sockamaniac.com/PDF%20Files/Sock%20Project%20Sheet%20Best%20Final.pdf)
I like it but I end up writing everything on the back.

JanOKnit, love the coloring of your socksóthey look comfy!

Beth, IMO the ribbed would probably fit better.

GJ, I took a fix-it class when I first started knitting at my LYS and it sure makes things a lot easier.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Try to stay cool and get lots of knitting done.

G J
08-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I hate to break it to y'all, but she knit2purl2 closed her website down. We'll just have to hope we get our orders. She's overwhelmed. I told her it was posted here and now she knows why she's been overwhelmed with orders.

PaperGirl
08-10-2007, 12:31 PM
And I never got to order mmmmmmmmm.........:waah:

BUT..in better news...

I am halfway through the FIFTH cuff repeat on the Monkey sock pattern! :woot:

It looks SO cool!

This is NOT a sock I will be suffering SSS from!

...dotty...
08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
:woot:Yay Papergirl !:woot:

I LOVE THE MONKEYS......that is just so fun to watch develop on your needles !

Say, does anyone know if KnitPicks' classic circular needle in a 32 inch length would work for magic loop?..........I'm thinking of giving it a try, but I want a really flexible cord.

dustinac
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Papergirl has me wanting to try the monkeys :teehee: is it a pattern I can remeber? I'm looking for a neat looking sock pattern that I can easily memorize for the trip home tomorrow.. have 4 hrs to kill in a car...

dotty~ I'd say yes.. although I haven't tried it on the 32"... I used their 24" when I tried ML and didn't have any problems with the cable at all :thumbsup:

1to1 thanks for the link that is a neat journal sheet :happydance:

One thing with the shrot row heel I got to skip the gusset part.. LOL that takes forever I think..

I went to my LYS today to pick mom up one of the little orange sock bags they sale...and the store owner was knitting socks on 2 circs so I watched her and think I could do it now... I didn't understand the heel part what I would do but once I seen her knitting the cuff I got it...after my trip I'll order some KP needles and give it a try...

GJ I bet she was overwhelmed...the knithappens sale was like that... it was posted on one forum, then another...then another... I think most knitters hit that sale and prolly are hit this one too.. sales travel fast in the knitting world :teehee:

PaperGirl
08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Papergirl has me wanting to try the monkeys :teehee: is it a pattern I can remeber? I'm looking for a neat looking sock pattern that I can easily memorize for the trip home tomorrow.. have 4 hrs to kill in a car...

I wrote the lace pattern on an index card and slapped it in my bag. :roflhard:

Fleurs
08-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Thank you for all kind words :cheering:

JamoKnit congratulations , they look really nice , i love the color.

Dunastic , there is something to be happy and proud they are great.

Nobones
08-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Well good grief I thought I was bad on DPNs, but 2 circular needles! :whoosh: Thanks but I'll think I'll go back to the DPN's.

I'm going to have one last try next try week and if I can't do it, I'll cry and try again another week probably!

cinnamon_girl
08-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi Everyone! Happy Friday!!! :woot:

I got some knitting done on the train this morning and even a little done at lunch. How sad is it that my favorite part of the day so far was my hour train ride so I could have some uninterrupted sock time!:woohoo:

dustinac.. those gansey's are really nice!! I love the pattern and I bet that yarn looks even better in person than in the picture (and it's pretty in the pic, makes me want to reach out and touch). You and dotty continue to inspire me to perfect my sock skills.

JamOknit .. thanks for the update on the camisole. I was considering using the Shine since it comes in such pretty colors but I did notice that the pattern offered a couple of substitution choices. I'm not good at doing that on my own so maybe I'll just order the KP.

1to1 .. I got a shipping notice this morning from Jody at knit2purl2!! She's in Delaware and I'm in PA so I'm hoping to see that package real soon. I'm excited... I ordered my first Mmmmalabrigo too (Paris Nights), a single skein so I was planning to make a scarf. One should be enough right? I was going to do a cable pattern. Have you seen the one Silver just posted. Very pretty!! I may do that one. I missed out on the Sockotta and completely missed the Lorna's Laces (how did I do that?? :?? I quess I was trying to hurry cuz I was ordering from work at lunch) but I did get some Tofutsies too. And something called Swizzle. For the price, I thought I'd give it a try.

Nobones... don't give up!! I struggled with the 4 dpn's at first but once you get those first few rounds done it gets so much easier to manage!!! If you can persevere through that beuatiful and time consuming dressing gown I saw I know you can do this. I found Silver's tutorial a big help. Good Luck!!

Have a great Friday everyone!!!

1to1
08-10-2007, 04:33 PM
cinnamon, umm:?? i didnt get a shipping notice just a order confirmation. gosh i hope i get all the pretty yarn i think i ordered. with the mmmalabrigo it said qty 2 so im hoping to get enough to make a scarf.

nobones, i started out with ml then 2 circulars. i think dpn would be the hardest. someday i might try dpn though. dont give up yet. are you using silver's tutorial?

...dotty...
08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I tried Magic Loop today, and. you know, it's not bad. I can see why you get rid of the ladder problem, since you can pull your first stitch so snugly against a cable instead of a needle. I'll be on a search for some needles with a softer cable now, as this one gives me fits with its twists ! I think knitting this way is actually easier on my hands than the dpns, though I don't believe it would be any faster, since you have to stop to pull the one needle on and the other one off. I still have to learn what you do when you get to the heel, but I can find that easily enough, and read up !

Here's a pic of my sample........I used the wool that I got from twistedfibers, on Etsy, last weekend. It arrived today, and I did a Kool-Aid dyeing experiment on one of the other skeins..............DON'T ASK ! I think it's going to be horrible ! It's currently drying, and it gives me a whole new appreciation for the price of hand-painted yarns. This girl did a nice job, and sold it to me for only $5.00 per skein, but she's just running some opening specials since her shop is new........... http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5233186 (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5233186)

...dotty...
08-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I always wanted to learn how to make socks and I think this would be a great motivation since I just bought a knit sock book the other day. It seem hard to knit with dpn but here goes nothing.

I forgot to say WELCOME to the knitalong !

Welcome, BostonBecca, too !

Can't seem to find what you do when you get to the heel on Magic Loop,.........guess that's because there is a booklet FOR SALE on the method. Anyone want to enlighten me?

dustinac
08-11-2007, 10:21 AM
:teehee: ok so now we are staying till tomorrow...

dotty~ I found this (http://www.knitaddicted.com/files/MagicLoop.pdf)that talks about the ML heel....it is a pdf file...I didn't find it to be faster either... I'm a lot faster with dpns cause I don't stop...with ML I had to keep stopping... but mom knits English style so she thought it would be faster for her because she can't just keep going on the dpns like I can... when she gets to the end of the needles she has to drop her yarn and get situated.. not sure if this is the case with everyone who throws but as she was watching me knit she was like no fair you never drop the yarn or stop...:teehee:

cinnamon_girl~ Thank you :aww:...I would enjoy that time too :teehee:

Papergirl~ Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Nobones~the lady who was showing it to me just couldn't get dpns down or socks on dpns... she says it is a lot easier cause she doesn't worry about losing the sts... it did look easy... don't give up you might want to diddle with 2 circs/Magic loop and see if you like it better...:thumbsup:

eta: ohh I forgot in the fall Interweave knits magazine they have snowflake socks... I have to knit these socks...I'm going to order some blue and white from KP when I get home and start on them...I don't like this edit feature it keeps scrolling up and I have no emoticons....lol

...dotty...
08-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Don't go, dustinac, DON'T GO ! A week without YOU ? Aghh ! We WILL keep this thing going, but not without missing YOU !:hug:

I just printed out that MagicLoop pdf.........THANK YOU !

Gee, I went back to my fine yarn with the 9 to 5 sock, after bunging up the heel on the Magic Loop one (had nothing to do with the circular.......just have trouble picking up wraps and knitting them sometimes !), and, after working with the sport weight (which, in this case, seems to be two sock weights VERY loosely plyed together........more like a light worsted)......anyway, the fine stuff wanted to slip right through my grasp ! I'd better stick to one project at a time.........the hands don't like readjusting.

G J
08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
:woohoo:I got an email from the postal service that my package was being shipped from knit2purl2. :woohoo:I told her I was somewhat flexible on colors, so I hope I get good stuff! I've heard knitting socks with Lorna's Laces and tofutsies is wonderful. Can't wait!:woot: I'm not fond of what I'm currently using.

craftygirl
08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi, I am new here and I wonderedif anyone had knitted socks ob 2 circular needles? Also if anyone had used the Magic Loop method that one I have heard you can knit 2 socks at the same time . I just got a pamphlet called the magic loop from Fiber Trends and it look really intresting.
I am also knitting a purse and I am going to felt it when it is done (I hope it comes out ok). Thanks

G J
08-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm using magic loop and love it. No ladders! I'm doing one sock toe-up, but Silver's tutorial for 2 up is good.

jeanius80
08-11-2007, 09:39 PM
i finished one pair of worsted wieght socks (2 @once ML) and cast on for a 2nd pair of kid socks for my niece in the same method.
here is a great size guide (http://www.knittinganyway.com/socks/socksizechart.htm)(if you know the persons shoe size but not the foot lenght)
i still need to measure around her foot though ... and figure out how many stitches i need for the sock....:teehee:

...dotty...
08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
*****dustinac said.........My next pair is going to be for my grandmother...she is a breast cancer survior of 9 years but had another situation come up this summer...I have the free pattern for the bc socks.. but I'm thinking I might do something else for her...I'm going home this weekend for a week to see her and everything... then school will start and I won't go home till Christmas... I won't be able to get on a computer while at home either, please keep posting your wonderful pictures and posts...I love this KAL we seem to be getting to know one another, while making wonderful socks :thumbsup:*********

I meant to respond to this part of her message before now, but got carried away with the knitting ! Dustinac, you're probably already there, but hope your grandmother is doing well.........she's gonna be so tickled to see you. I've only been a gramma for 3 1/2 years now, but I can tell you that my grandkids are CONSTANTLY on my mind. So hard to have them be far away.

We'll keep this thing going.........right girls ! ? !

I was naughty and I set my 9 to 5 sock aside while I played around with learning the Magic Loop method. I have to say.........it's not awful. I've almost finished a simple stockinette sock with short cuff (not sure how far this skein of yarn will go !).....I'm decreasing for the toe right now. I also tried my hand at dyeing again (my second attempt), and although it looked funky as a whole, now that I'm knitting it, it's actually very, very NEAT ! I can't seem to get a photograph to show what I actually see with my own eyes, but I'll share this one anyway...........it's shades of red, burgundy, purple, violet, blue, turquoise, green, and browns. Sounds awful, I know, but you'd just have to see it in person! It's what I'm using on this sock............

Here's a close-up shot on my flickr page, but, again, it's not DEAD-ON. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/?saved=1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/?saved=1)

cinnamon_girl
08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi Everyone,
I've been busy, busy, knitting, knitting on my second sock so I can finish my first pair. I'm headed for the toes!!! :woohoo:

I want to finish so I can start the next pair!! I was considering the Jaywalkers but I also found a couple of patterns I really liked on the Crystal Palace site but I've never see their yarn anywhere. Anyone familiar with it? Or I could probably just substitiute right? :shrug:

jeanius80... thanks for the size guide. I'd like to knit some socks for the grandkids this fall. Something warm to wear with jammies. I usually buy everybody in the family some of those jammy pants and tops from Old Navy as one of their gifts and I'd like to include a pair of socks to match.

GJ... I got my package form knit2purl2 on Saturday! I got really pretty Tofutsies (3 skeins) and some Soft Sea Wool (black) and a self-striping yarn called Swizzle. Sadly, I totally missed the page on Lorna's Laces when I placed my order and I was so bummed. I really wanted to try that yarn. And she had so many pretty colors. Let me know how you like it. Post pics if you can!!

And dotty, I LOVE your yarn!! The colors are very subtle but pretty!! Keep it up. I consider you our leader in dustinac's absence so thanks!:cheering:

And hello and welcome to all the recent 'joinees'! Looking forward to hearing and seeing your sock progress. This has been an extremely helpful and productive group.

PaperGirl
08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
My first Monkey will have a TOE tonight!!!! :woohoo:

Picking up the stitches for the gusset while watching "300" with DH and friends was a bit daunting, but I did it!

I LOVE this pattern! And it looks SO pretty with the yarn that my summer swapper sent me! I have [ictures, Ill post in a bit...must find camera...:doh:

1to1
08-13-2007, 11:11 AM
I haven't heard anything more about my K2P2 order. :think: I placed my order before noon on Thursday and not in a big hurry to get it but sure don't want to miss it either. I'll have to check my front porch when I get home. So its coming regular mail?

Dotty-ML is fun, isn't it? I like your yarn. I'm not even going to attempt dyeing--I'll leave that for the experts.

craftygirl-I do 2 socks at once on 2 circulars most of the time. I agree with GJ that Silver's Tutorial is the best. It has been mentioned many times in previous posts.

I emailed K2P2 and I'm only getting about half my order and no MMMMMalabrigo. I guess I should have emailed her back on Thurs--didn't think I needed to since I got the order confirmation. Oh well, I'm still excited to be getting some of it.

jeanius80
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
dotty- thats a great dye job! and it knit up very pretty, it does go great with your birkies :)
1to1- i am hpoing i will get my k2p2 order also. i ordered around 4:30 on thursday, i recieved a order reciept, but no response since. i am mostly excited about the sock yarn (lorna's!!!- bee stripe for my mom :) ) i love malabrigo, but it's not the end of it if i don't get it (i have 4 skeins i need to knit up already :blush: )

...dotty...
08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
All these yarn orders arriving sound SO EXCITING !:woot:

I just wanna come see !

No yarn order this week for me, but I did send for some more of these GREAT stitch markers.... http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=5864919 .......I love the fact that they stay out of my way......I don't have to flip the dangle from front to back, depending on whether I'm doing a knit or a purl stitch. She has free shipping for the whole month of August, and right now, you get 25% more markers with your order.........so how could I resist ? If you get some, be sure and tell her I sent you.........she's a dear !:hug:

...dotty...
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
dotty- thats a great dye job! and it knit up very pretty, it does go great with your birkies :)
1to1- i am hpoing i will get my k2p2 order also. i ordered around 4:30 on thursday, i recieved a order reciept, but no response since. i am mostly excited about the sock yarn (lorna's!!!- bee stripe for my mom :) ) i love malabrigo, but it's not the end of it if i don't get it (i have 4 skeins i need to knit up already :blush: )

Thank you for your compliment, jeanius........it means a lot to me since I looked at the thread about hand-dyed yarns, and saw your gorgeous offerings ! Oh, you do some gorgeous colorings !

jeanius80
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
i'll be dyeing some more this week (when it gets here) some sock yarns and some worsted lion brand (for kiddie sweaters :) )

PaperGirl
08-13-2007, 06:18 PM
:woot:My Monkey!!!!!

...dotty...
08-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Ooh, good choice of yarn, papergirl !
Can you get it over your heel okay? It looks like a good fit on your wrist, but I know that this pattern is good and stretchy when done in the right yarn. Just don't try the smaller size in a rayon boucle' ! Yikes.......it ripped my heart out to have to rip that one....:frog:.....and I would have worn it, even though I could barely squeeze it over my heel,.......if only I had had enough yarn to make TWO socks :lol:

cinnamon_girl
08-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Very pretty PaperGirl!!! Love those monkeys!

lissie
08-13-2007, 10:18 PM
dotty, that looks great! :cheering:

Papergirl, your monkey sure is coming along nicely! I love the colour of your yarn. :yay:

Man, I'm so jealous of all of you having all those yarn orders arriving. It must be so exciting waiting for your yarn to arrive. It sucks to live outside US! :gah:

rorygilmore
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
PaperGirl, your monkey looks awesome! :yay:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/IMG_0156.jpg
Here is my sock, this is my first time doing cables. Its so much fun, I wish I tryed them earlier. I dyed the yarn too. It was dyed three times. First with pink, then voilet, and last was burgundy.

PaperGirl
08-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I finished it last night!

Personally, I think I should have made the toe a TINY bit longer...the grafted edge is a bit too close to my toes for comfort. But it looks really pretty!

I even cast on for # 2 last night, and am halfway throgh the ribbing!

...dotty...
08-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Fantastic, Papergirl :woot:

I know you haven't made the second one yet........or do I? I shouldn't assume.....you may have been so excited with that one that you stayed up all night and today, and knitted the other one !:knitting:But, what I was going to say is.........if the socks turn out to be uncomfortable, you KNOW you loved the pattern; so think about what an absolutely AWESOME gift they would make for the right person.......with a foot just a smidge shorter than yours ! Then, you could knit them again for yourself ! Of course, there goes your gorgeous yarn you received.

Actually, on second thought, you need to just give the socks a little tug lengthwise, when you lay them out to dry after their first little wash ! I bet they'll fit like a dream ! :thumbsup: