PDA

View Full Version : Handbook for knitter...

Nichan
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi, what book (s) did you choose as your handbook?
i'm now interesting in Knitting Answer and The Knitter's Handbook (the last is by Elaine Rowley)...
but i don't know which one is the best...other source told me Stitch n bitch is the best...I didn't see any in my local book store (i don't live in usa) but i know those books from amazon.com...i read the comments but still confused...it's just unconvincing...because, i found in my library one book that has good rating in amazon.com but when i saw inside, well, quite confusing and doesn't have good illustration too...

i need: detail and ofcourse clear illustration (like step by step). I also need information about: adding and changing colors in knitting, finishing, sewing techniques for knitting, a lot of illustration about knitting terms, more than 1 casting on and bind off...

what book that has more (or most) complete information with clear picture/illustration and explanation according to you?

Ingrid
07-19-2007, 03:08 PM
As simple as they are, the Harmony Guides to knitting are really well done. I'm not sure if you can find them where you are, but it would be worth a Google search. There are several, from basic techniques to different stitch patterns and such.

Limey
07-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi

I'd certainly second what Ingrid says about the Harmony Guides - I've got the Knitting Techniques one - covers a huge range of topics but doesn't blind you with science.

Try e-bay UK, that's where I got mine from - most booksellers on there will post to US no problem.

All the Best

AnaK
07-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I love Vogue Knitting. The other book I like is The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons.
http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Knitting-Methods-Techniques-Hand/dp/0671552333/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6150324-8774207?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184882488&sr=8-1
It is out of print but if you hapen to see it at trift stores or used book stores snatch it. It is fantastic.

panchita
07-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I really like The Knitter's Companion (http://www.amazon.com/Knitters-Companion-Vicki-Square/dp/1883010136). It covers a lot of basic skills and is small enough to fit in my knitting bag. I do have Stitch 'n' Bitch, too, and I really like it, but it's a lot bigger, so it takes up more space in my bag.

I hope that helps!

Bug
07-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Knitting For Dummies, taught me, so simple to read. i love it.

Nichan
07-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm searching this book (harmony guides to knitting) in amazon.com...but there's quite a lot of searc result...who is the author?
thanks