PDA

View Full Version : WIP Rainy Day socks - Updated with new pics!

mulene
07-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Boy are these a challenge! The Picot edge was the hardest thing I've ever done in knitting. Not so much the start of it (with the crochet cast on) but the folding the work in half and knitting it together with the current row while ensuring it doesn't turn into a mobius!

I'm 17 rows into the pattern part after the cuff.

This is the first time I've ventured away from either Silver sock class sock or the Simple Sock in three sizes (from socks soar on two circular needles). I'm enjoying the challenge!

The pattern is Rainy Day Socks from Magknits

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/859302309_aebc3d2424_b.jpg

syndactylus
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
very pretty!!
I love that pattern.

chrislt8
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
OH those are just lovely - I love the pattern! But...think I'll have to wait for a little more experience before trying that one! Pretty color too :heart:

JGM
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Very cool!

dreamsherl
07-20-2007, 03:39 PM
The pattern looks lovely. I think that you are off to a good start.

mrs desert rain
07-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow, that's a super pretty pattern! Nice work. :)

Mystery_Gyrl
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Picot edging on your socks, hubba-hubba. Sweet, love the color. :cheering: :thumbsup:

Slim
07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Oh, how pretty! Lovely color -- what is the yarn, please?

Jan in CA
07-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Ohhh those are gorgeous!

mulene
07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh, how pretty! Lovely color -- what is the yarn, please?

Thank you =D It is Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in cornflower blue. It is very soft to work with but it is shedding a little. That could be the freaky weather we are having here (humid and flooding) causing my hands to be too hot to knit with this yarn.

mulene
07-21-2007, 11:53 AM
OH those are just lovely - I love the pattern! But...think I'll have to wait for a little more experience before trying that one! Pretty color too :heart:

WOW you think so? You are working on the candle shawl? I think you could manage these =D The lace bit is easy (and quite memorable) it was the picot bit that scared the pants off me :teehee:

auburnchick
07-21-2007, 07:26 PM
You've made a beautiful start! I :heart: the yarn and color too! I have yet to do the picot edging, so you're a bit braver than me!

chrislt8
07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
WOW you think so? You are working on the candle shawl? I think you could manage these =D The lace bit is easy (and quite memorable) it was the picot bit that scared the pants off me :teehee:

Yes, but I haven't completed a pair of sock - and we won't talk about the numerous frogs on the the shawl:roflhard: But, oooh, your sock is SO pretty:think:

redheadrachel
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow, I looove that pattern! It's going to be a lot of work, but I think we all can recognize that it's COMPLETELY going to be worth it! I am so impressed with your talented sock-making ability, and you've inspired me to branch out from my simple socks to the more daring, oh-so-lusciously-beautiful fancy sock patterns :D Wonderful!!!!

mulene
07-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Yes, but I haven't completed a pair of sock - and we won't talk about the numerous frogs on the the shawl:roflhard: But, oooh, your sock is SO pretty:think:

:teehee: don't let that put you off!

You know, I worked more on this over the weekend, I've turned the heel (I LOVE how she turns the heel on the purl side it seems to make it look nicer) and the pattern itself is quite easy. The hard part was the picot edge. The rest is pretty straightforward, I am a bit concerned they might end up being a little too small for me, but I'm loving how fast this sock is going.

mulene
07-23-2007, 06:30 AM
you've inspired me to branch out from my simple socks to the more daring, oh-so-lusciously-beautiful fancy sock patterns :D Wonderful!!!!

Thank you, and go for it!!!! I have finally come to realise the only way to move on from the simple sock pattern is to just dooooo it! So dooooo it Rachel ;) You know you wanna!

auburnchick
07-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I am a bit concerned they might end up being a little too small for me, but I'm loving how fast this sock is going.

I'm pretty sure that I've read (maybe in a KAL on this forum) that this pattern does make for a smaller sock. You might want to stop and research it before going further. It would be a shame to finish and not be able to wear it.

mulene
07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've read (maybe in a KAL on this forum) that this pattern does make for a smaller sock. You might want to stop and research it before going further. It would be a shame to finish and not be able to wear it.

In some ways I wish I had added a further 6 stitches however, it would have made things more complicated for me than they already are! I've gone past the heel and am working my way down the foot - it IS a tight fit across the bridge of my foot but I can manage to get my foot in there.

I decided if its really too small they can go to my Bosses wife who has nice dainty little feet.

1to1
07-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I think your Rainy Day Sock looks great. :thumbsup:

They were the 3rd pair of socks that I made. I agree the picot edge was tricky but I found a tutorial somewhere and that helped. I used Cascade Fixation in a varigated yarn. Big mistake you cant enjoy the design. Someday I will make another pair with a solid color.

Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the complete pair.

Robinknits
07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Those are going to be beautiful. One of these days I'm going to try socks on 2 circs. I use DPNs, but I'm ready for a new challenge!

Snugglebugmom
07-23-2007, 08:45 PM
What a gorgeous pattern! I can't wait to see pictures of the FO, so far it is looking awesome. Kudos to you!

mulene
07-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Those are going to be beautiful. One of these days I'm going to try socks on 2 circs. I use DPNs, but I'm ready for a new challenge!

Go for it! I was using DPNs and then moved over to circs - it made SUCH a difference. I can finish socks quickly now. Actually I have more pics to put here but I need to upload them from my camera first. I'm now about 5 rows from decreasing the toes and I've hardly touched them this week. This pattern flies along and they actually are ok at getting over my foot. I was concerned they seemed a bit small.

I think if I make another pair of these I'd add another pattern round in there.

mulene
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
So here we are with around 6 - 8 more rows to go before I decrease for the toe:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1281/917671861_ca38e12b91.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1311/917671691_f596b06568.jpg

kristinw
07-27-2007, 08:44 PM
They really look great!! :thumbsup: I'll have to try those sometime.

rorygilmore
07-28-2007, 08:43 AM
They look great! I want to knit those socks but haven't yet because the edging. It scares me.

auburnchick
07-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Very nice!!!!

Ariane100
07-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Great job! These are definitely on my to do list!

mulene
08-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I've got one completed the other URGH I'm going to have to frog back about 8 rows because I seem to have jumped a stitch on the pattern and its now coming out one stitch over where it should be :doh:

monzogary
08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Ooh, that is pretty! I will have to remember that pattern when I want to make a pretty solid color pair.
:cheering:

robynbird
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Very nice! I asked in another thread where the pattern was but I found it. I like to knit my socks toe up so I'm tryin to figure out how to adapt the pattern and the picot edge. Love it!

KnittingNat
09-01-2007, 08:02 AM
That's gorgeous! I really like the pattern!