PDA

View Full Version : New Yarn at Michaels

kellyh57
07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Yippee, new yarn at Michaels! My store has some of the new yarns in. I couldn't really tell what was in the empty slots (not enough info on the little yellow shelf tags!)

But, they have Bernat Cashmere, Alpaca and Bamboo. (Some acrylic, but they are SOOOOOO soft) The skeins are really small and all around $3-4, but it's still a great deal! None of these are on Bernat's website yet.

They also have Bernat Satin Sport (I think, their website says it's a 3, but I could've sworn it was medium. It's Satin something anyway and super soft.) They finally got Red Heart Soft and a bunch of new colors of Simply Soft.

If you want a good deal on yarn, check out your local Michaels and see if they have the new stuff yet! The whole section was rearranged so it's hard to tell what's new and what's missing, but from what I could tell, they got rid of a bunch of Red Heart/Caron cheapy stuff and some furry junk and added this new yummy stuff. I'm so glad the furry stuff is going out of style finally and soft/natural is coming in!!!

Kelly

mdog182
07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
man, i just got paid and now i'm afraid to go over there......

Mulderknitter
07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
jeez, I was doing sooooo gooooood!
Well, maybe not that good :whistle:

Eloewien
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Mine also has a bunch of stuff on clearance-- got the "good to go" knitters bag for $15

Krystal
07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
oooh I can't wait to check my Michael's and see what they got.

My walmart just got a bunch of new yarn too. Bernat Felting. I hadn't even heard of it before, and it was sitting there in the prettiest colourways. I have been dying to do some felting, so here is my chance. YAY!

Braden
07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm glad that furry yarn is out, and rustic, natural wool is in!

psammeadred
07-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm glad that furry yarn is out, and rustic, natural wool is in!

Mega-dittoes to that! I was in Michaels last week and noticed a bunch of empty slots. Glad to know they're being filled with good stuff!

sugarfunpouch
07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Yea! YARN!!!!!!!!! WWWWWWHHHHEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :balloons: :)

debinoz
07-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I went to Hobby Lobby today and their yarn section was smaller and was mostly that eyelashy, furry and fuzzy stuff. I was very disappointed. Wish I'd have read this before I left, Michael's was only another 3 miles.

Samsam
07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Bamboo!!

I went today..I don't think mine got that in.
but I did see this yarn that was a wool/soy blend :inlove:
I reallly wanted it but wasn't allowed to

suzeeq
07-21-2007, 12:06 AM
The wool soy is the SWS that everyone's in love with. Well a lot of people anyway....

Gracielen
07-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks so much for the info...heading there today.

AngieBarbato
07-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Can't wait to go see new selections at Michael's ty

phisch
07-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Hmmm...I need to replace my 3 circs so I'll have to check out the yarn. I was going to be good, but then I came here!

Mulderknitter
07-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Note to self: Do not log on to KH before setting out for the days errands....:roflhard:

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 12:28 PM
If you see Patons "Rumor" (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=rumor) there, you GOTTA give it a feel.
(It has ALPACA in the mix!)

That yarn is on my wish list now. :inlove:

LibraryLady
07-22-2007, 01:21 PM
My Michael's has got all the good stuff! :cheering::cheering:

DF wants me to make him something out of the Bernat Bamboo... That stuff was a dream! :drool::drool:

LL

feministmama
07-22-2007, 02:33 PM
My Micheals has a new line of yarn by......Vanna White?

kellyh57
07-22-2007, 08:10 PM
My Micheals has a new line of yarn by......Vanna White?

Yeah, I saw that too. I remember reading about it from Lion a few months ago. Apparently, she's an avid crocheter. (Or at least they think she is.) It's 100% acrylic, but a little softer than the normal cheap stuff.

Kelly

suzeeq
07-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Vanna yarns are put out by Lion and also available at Hancock's and Hobby Lobby. They're very nice feeling and I'm tempted....

brownishcoat
07-22-2007, 09:19 PM
I've been eyeing the Vanna yarns, too. They are soft, and I'm really admiring the colors. I think they'd be great for some easy Fair Isle. But I've GOT to whittle down my stash before I can buy any. :shifty:

panchita
07-24-2007, 12:31 PM
If you see Patons "Rumor" (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=rumor) there, you GOTTA give it a feel.
(It has ALPACA in the mix!)

That yarn is on my wish list now. :inlove:

I used the "Rumor" to make some scarves for Christmas and it sheds like CRAZY. It's shedderific!! My couch and I were covered with Halcyon Blue fuzz. It knit up very squishy and soft, though.

Shandeh
07-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I used the "Rumor" to make some scarves for Christmas and it sheds like CRAZY. It's shedderific!! My couch and I were covered with Halcyon Blue fuzz. It knit up very squishy and soft, though.

Awww...that's SAD!! :pout:
And here I thought I found something I would like. :verysad:

I guess that means I have to go look at yarn again! :teehee:

anne347
07-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm a knitter but am going to Michaels for my first crochet lesson tomorrow. I'll definitely going to go in early to see if they have the new yarns! Thanks for the heads up :happydancing:

panchita
07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Awww...that's SAD!! :pout:
And here I thought I found something I would like. :verysad:

I guess that means I have to go look at yarn again! :teehee:

Sorry to burst your yarn swathed bubble. :verysad:

Shandeh
07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Sorry to burst your yarn swathed bubble. :verysad:

Ha! I'm okay, my friend. :hug:
It takes more than that to get my goat. :thumbsup:

jeanius80
07-25-2007, 12:08 AM
OH!!!! i just went to michaels today... Patons has come out with a much bigger selection of the SWS! i love the natural red, and the SOLIDS!! all so pretty and soft and smoooshy! (not showing n the www site though..) let's do a memory check :mrgreen: there was a plum, black, cream, tan, blue, pink, burgandy, orange? and lavender?
i saw the new bernats yarns (also not on thier www site though:??) they have a cashmere blend ( i think it was 5%), and alpaca too ( a bit more, maybe 15%?) and a bamboo, which was some where around 80%- very soft and buttery
as for the vanna yarn, it was pretty colors and only $1.99 a skein. i did notice though, that there seemed to be some inconsistancies in the yarn thickness. and some seemed to be more loosly plied in spots. still a great deal!

panchita
07-25-2007, 12:21 AM
I, too, was at Michaels today and saw those same yarns. Yummy. I resisted purchasing as I already have 4 skeins of SWS in my stash. Has anyone tried to felt it? Just wondering.

suzeeq
07-25-2007, 12:31 AM
I've yet to get my needles on SWS and I don't felt, but I've heard it felts nicely, though you do have to keep an eye on it.

Shandeh
07-25-2007, 01:04 AM
I went to my Michaels today, and they were not quite finished setting up the yarn section with the new yarns. There were basket and boxes and metal cages and bags full of old yarn EVERYWHERE! I was sad, because I couldn't find anything. :verysad:

I guess I'll have to go back later. :shrug:

suzeeq
07-25-2007, 01:16 AM
I get to visit Michaels next week. We're going to help my mother pack up her things and move into a retirement home and I hope to have enough time to stop by both Michaels and Joanns. We don't have either in the entire state I live in...