PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ABOUT KNITTING WITH DOUBLE YARN

carla25
07-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I AM GOING TO KNIT A BLANKET AND THE PATTERN CALLS TO "USE DOUBLE YARN THROUGHTOUT" I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE AND I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. I THINK I GET THE CONCEPT OF HOLDING 2 PIECES OF YARN. ALSO THE DIRECTIONS SAY CAST ON 73 STITCHES, WELL THAT IS CONFUSING TO ME, IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE USING 2 PIECES OF YARN.....OR AM I WRONG...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

psammeadred
07-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Just hold two pieces of yarn together and treat them like they're just one big yarn. That's all there is to it!

Ingrid
07-20-2007, 07:10 PM
There will be two strands in your loops, but they'll both be coming out of one stitch, so you'll be able to see what to do just fine. After a while, you won't even notice.

carla25
07-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Just hold two pieces of yarn together and treat them like they're just one big yarn. That's all there is to it!

SO INSTEAD OF COUNTING THE "2" YARNS AS "2" COUNT THEM AS
"1" STITCH, AND THEN THAT WILL GIVE THE ODD # OF 73 CAST ONS???

ALSO ONE MORE QUESTION HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT SIDE IS?

Ingrid
07-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Yes, count each double stranded stitch as one.

The pattern should tell you which row is the right side. Often it's the odd number rows, but not always.

BTW--When you post in all caps, it 'sounds' like you're yelling.:shifty:

carla25
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Sorry, I want do that no more :) like I said this is my first time doing this so I am not sure. It just says
"Row 9(RS) p1,k1,p1.........etc.... I will look over the pattern one more time but I didn't see where it said the RS was

carla25
07-20-2007, 07:29 PM
okay i see what you are saying now, this is the first pattern that I have knitted by...takes time to figure out...

Arielluria
07-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Here's a tip I find helps in double strand knitting. Put each skein in a ziplock (I like to make a hole with a holepunch to thread the yarn through)........actually, I do this all the time, it keeps the yarn clean and I stick the work back in and close the ziplock when I stop to keep it all clean and safe.

When using 2 skeins, if each one has its own ziplock, it helps keep them from getting all tangled up in your bag.

Susan P.
07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Carla..it actually told you by saying Row 9(RS). If , for example you were knitting in stockinette i.e. one knit row and one purl row then row 9 is a knit row and will look like the front of the knitting. In your case, lets say you cast on and once you finished that and began to work your very first row there was a tail hanging of the cast on on the left end. If you see that on the left you will know that what is facing you is the right side in the case of this pattern you are doing.

carla25
07-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Carla..it actually told you by saying Row 9(RS). If , for example you were knitting in stockinette i.e. one knit row and one purl row then row 9 is a knit row and will look like the front of the knitting. In your case, lets say you cast on and once you finished that and began to work your very first row there was a tail hanging of the cast on on the left end. If you see that on the left you will know that what is facing you is the right side in the case of this pattern you are doing.
Okay I get it now thanks!!