PDA

View Full Version : Deirdre needs some pattern help.

deirdre718
07-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Hello. I am new to knitting. I make silver jewlery as a hobby, and do stone setting, hollow forms, some small scale forging. my husband is a musician, so i took up knitting as an activity for when he practices. It is a little disruptive for me to be hammering on my anvils while he is playing his quieter instruments....so, by knitting i can keep him company and still be doing something constructive while he plays or sings.

i started about a year and a half ago, and have made a number of scarves, 5 sweaters so far, with another 2 in the works. I also started crocheting (I get a little carried away sometimes). After a brief tutorial from my friend susan, i have been teaching myself. now i've reached the limits of my knowledge, and would welcome some help.

If anyone can explain the following, i've be very grateful. I have gone looking through my reference books, and i am still mystified. I am working on a pattern by Filati. I've reached the top of the sweater, and the instructions read as follows:

"dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible inc."

"visible inc: right edge: edge st, K1, K tog 3 resp. 2. Left edge: 1 double resp. 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog resp. K1, psso), K1, edge st."

Thank you, and I hope someone out there can put me out of my misery!!!! I just hate being frustrated. Deirdre

Susan P.
07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I am wondering about the potential of a translation or spelling errors problem. I wondered if the resp may have been mistaken and it should have been reps for repeat but that wouldn't make sense perhaps for the second line. Does the pattern say what resp equals?
Perhaps it's obvious to someone else but I can't think what resp would mean.

Susan P.
07-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes, looking again the pattern should tell you somewhere what the resp is. Sounds like some form of stitch that is made.

Susan P.
07-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Ok..I just had a look at a few filatura patterns and they all use the abbreviation and there is NO explanation. However, I finally found a pattern where it made better sense. What it seemed to suggest was a way of increasing and then a way of decreasing - one following the other. The next line seemed to say increase and then respective decrease (and inc/dec pattern) in alternative rows.

This is the example that led me to think along those lines:

Inc 1 st knitwise tbl and K, K1, 1 slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K1,
psso). Work these inc resp. dec on every alt row 25 times

Now, the only thing is..are you supposed to say increase on one row and then two rows later do the decrease or literally increase, do a stitch and then decrease. I'm really unsure.

On your pattern it looks like one immediately following the other but I'm stuck about how to 'do'. This may be enough to prompt one of the more experienced knitters at this point, or, write to the Filatura addresses. However, the english can sometimes be problematic.

Will be interesting to hear what the ultimate solution is :)

suzeeq
07-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Deirdre got some answers in the other thread.... http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=62521&highlight=resp

Jacklad
07-22-2007, 11:28 AM
I think it's short for "respectively". So, do A/B respectively would mean that on you would do A or B respectively, depending on the desired result.

In this case, I would read
"dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible inc."

"visible inc: right edge: edge st, K1, K tog 3 resp. 2. Left edge: 1 double resp. 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog resp. K1, psso), K1, edge st."

As the instructions for dec 2 stitches or 1 stitch (respectively). So you would do (on alternate - probablyRS - rows, which means that between every set of decreases you would purl a row):

Right edge: edge st, K1, K3 tog, knit across (double decrease; you're losing two stitches on the right edge)

Purl a row.

Left edge: knit to last five stitches, (slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog, psso), K1, edge st (double decrease; losing two stitches on the left edge)

Purl a row.

So that takes care of "each end 2 sts once". Then do

Right edge: edge st, K1, K2 tog, knit across (single decrease; you're losing one stitch on the right edge)

Purl a row.

Left edge: knit to last four stitches, (slip 1 knitwise, K1, psso), K1, edge st (single decrease; losing one stitch on the left edge)

Purl a row.

which covers "1 st once".

Then you would repeat the double decrease rows one time, and the single decrease rows two more times after that to complete the "2 sts once and 1 st twice".

What's more confusing to me is why they would refer to decreases as a "visible inc." :lol:

Jackie

Susan P.
07-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Gosh I sometimes wish people would only ask in one spot as you wind up missing out on what people are advising etc..ah well :)

suzeeq
07-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, but sometimes there's a double post if it's in the same forum; thinking the post didn't go but it actually did. Posting the same thing under different topics isn't really necessary, though. Most of us read everything, and I don''t read the different topics anyway, but always click on new posts, which is everything.