PDA

View Full Version : knitting machines

mrs.hre
07-22-2007, 02:57 PM
anyone try using knitting machines, if so how is it.

redheadrachel
07-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I've not tried a knitting machine, as it seems to take away all the parts of knitting that I enjoy :( Sorry that's the only comment I can offer :)

BioTherapy
07-22-2007, 04:27 PM
they are fun because they are a new way to do our craft...

making sweaters gets kinda annoying and you can only make certain kinds.

I like it for making quick blankets though... bed covers and pillow cases. great way to use scrap yarn.

tropicallie
07-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Actually, I didn't REALLY start hand knitting until about 2 years ago. I've been machine knitting for about 12 years, though, and at last count have 5 machines (and am eyeing a 6th!). They have their pros and cons. There are things I prefer to machine knit and things I prefer to hand knit (like ribbings). Hand knitting is a much more relaxing way to knit whereas machine knitting is a bit more physical. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get into machine knitting. A lot of people start off with a simple machine like the Bond (also known as the ISM and USM). It does not do any automatic patterning but you can produce very elaborate patterns if you're willing to do some hand manipulation of stitches. You can usually find these at Michaels and, with a coupon, get one for around $70US. Not your thing? Take it back within 30 days and get a refund. Or you can go for a super duper deluxe computerized model if you're willing to drop a couple thousand dollars. There are great groups on the web for any machine you may have that, like KH, have very knowledgable members to help you out if you get stuck. Even though both hand and machine produce similar fabric, they're really totally different crafts requiring totally different skills with their own learning curves, IMHO.

nik
07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
There is an article here
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/050929_a.asp

I'd also check their forums. Hopefully some day I will invest in one :) They seem like fun.