PDA

View Full Version : Knitty Gritty this morning

letah75
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I know not everyone gets the same episodes, but the one that was on today said it was new, and I've never seen it before.

It was all about natural non-wool yarns. Did anyone see it? The corn yarn was cool. I'd like to know where to get some of that stuff. Just wondering what everyone thought.

Snugglebugmom
07-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I think I have seen that one too, and I love the new trend in yarns. Away with the acrylic novelty stuff, let's go natural! I have no idea where to get the corn yarn, but I would love to give it a try. Have you tried googling it?

dreamsherl
07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
I have wool allergy and I enjoyed the episode this morning on alternatives to wool. My LYS is carrying more and more yarns that are not wool. I donít know about everyone with wool allergies, but I can use and wear super wash wools. The explanation that I received was that the components that cause the allergy have been removed.

letah75
07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Knitter's Review] (http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/060803_a.asp)

Yarn Market (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/South_West_Trading_Company_Yarn-A-MAIZing_Multi_Yarn-2680.html)

Today's show (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5634571,00.html)

This is all I could find on a quick search. I want to try it so badly!

Knit Mom
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
WAIT!!!! There is a TEE VEE show dedicated to Knitting?!?! Please fill me in!! :inlove:

panchita
07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I saw it, too... on HGTV. My LYS carries some alternative yarns. I've purchased a 70% wool 30% soy blend (Paton's SWS) at Michael's that comes in lovely colors. After watching the episode this morning, I'm tempted to try the hemp yarn I saw at my LYS. When I touched it last week, it felt really fibrous and kind of scratchy like twine: turn-off!! The guest on Knitty Gritty said it softens up a lot after it's washed. It may be good for something more than just a market bag? Anyone else knit with hemp?

Sara
07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Our very own Kemp has the a-maize-ing corn yarn at her store: www.divaknitting.com

redheadrachel
07-23-2007, 02:10 PM
WAIT!!!! There is a TEE VEE show dedicated to Knitting?!?! Please fill me in!! :inlove:
Ohhh yeah. It's on the DIY Network and also on HGTV. Where I live, it comes on the DIY Network at 2:00 pm and HGTV at 7:00 am... guess which one I watch! ;-) lol

letah75
07-23-2007, 02:10 PM
I saw it, too... on HGTV. My LYS carries some alternative yarns. I've purchased a 70% wool 30% soy blend (Paton's SWS) at Michael's that comes in lovely colors. After watching the episode this morning, I'm tempted to try the hemp yarn I saw at my LYS. When I touched it last week, it felt really fibrous and kind of scratchy like twine: turn-off!! The guest on Knitty Gritty said it softens up a lot after it's washed. It may be good for something more than just a market bag? Anyone else knit with hemp?

I LOVE hemp, and Linen. Both are non stretchy and can be scratchy when knitting with them. But the more you wash them they softer and drapier they get. Also both are very strong and make excellent yarn for market bags.

Stiney
07-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I felt up some corn yarn on Saturday at Fiber Fest in Crystal Lake, IL. It was sorta like flax yarn, if you've ever felt that. A bit stiff on the skein, but neat.

Knit Mom
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Ohhh yeah. It's on the DIY Network and also on HGTV. Where I live, it comes on the DIY Network at 2:00 pm and HGTV at 7:00 am... guess which one I watch! ;-) lol

I am so going home and setting my DVR!! :inlove:

panchita
07-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I am so going home and setting my DVR!! :inlove:

It comes on at 4:30am or 5:00am on HGTV at my house... :sleepy: YIKES! I DVR it, too.

Knit Mom
07-23-2007, 02:39 PM
It comes on at 4:30am or 5:00am on HGTV at my house... :sleepy: YIKES! I DVR it, too.

I bet I could watch it while I get ready in the morning for work if it was on that early. But that is early!

feministmama
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
On the west coast it comes on at 7:30 am (I think) I DVR it too. THen I tape them. I have Most of them on tape. If anyone wants copies of a particular show let me know and I can make a copy for you. Can't wait to get home and see the new episode.

kaidyddd
07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Hemp yarn does soften with each washing. I've used Allhemp 6 from Lana Knits and am currently stranding some Allhemp 3 along with some fingeringwt. sock yarn to make a baby sweater. It ends up being very drapey. I found the hemp easier to knit with than linen and regular dishcloth cotton yarn. I've also knit with corn based A'maizing (I think that's how you spell it). The yarn was flat and ribbon like, it was stretchy. I liked it--used it in a baby sweater, a gift,--worn once I think and is now being worn by a teddy bear! It was on the expensive side and eventually the LYS ended up adding it to their sales bin. I, of course, picked up more--I would get the exact name, but the yarn stash is in a closet that's blocked by a upturned bed and a couple of dressers---stripping wallpaper and painting another room! Good incentive to get it all done, so that I can return to knitting and the stash!

Shannon4J
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I haven't seen it yet, I have it DVR'd though so will watch later. :)

Samsam
07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
This seems to play at 7am for me.
Thanks a bunch for bringing up this show!
I shall watch it on wedsday

misstialouise
07-24-2007, 12:43 AM
I like soysilk .. :D

Sharly
07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
I never get to see cool yarn - no LYS:cry:

Wouldn't it be the coolest to grow bamboo and turn it into yarn? I love that idea!!

Eloewien
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
It airs on both hgtv and diy, but lately the new episodes have only been on hgtv

rainberry
07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I got to watch Knitty Gritty last Friday and Monday because we were on vacation and the hotel had cable. :) We don't have cable at home. I woke up at 6:00 am to watch it while everyone else was sleeping.

feministmama
07-25-2007, 02:23 AM
I got to watch Knitty Gritty last Friday and Monday because we were on vacation and the hotel had cable. :) We don't have cable at home. I woke up at 6:00 am to watch it while everyone else was sleeping.

that's dedication! It was a really good show. I've never heard of some of those yarns before. Now I'm all excited to go try some! But ya know I prolly can't afford some of em. It's gotta take some cash to turn corn and hemp into those lovely fibers.

KnitClickChick
07-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I have never heard of corn yarn. I'd love to try that! Unfortunately in my area they have moved Knitty Gritty from the time it used to run, and I am not even sure it is still on :tap:

Knit Mom
07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I called home yesterday and asked my FDH to record it for me. He laughed and laughed ect. ect. that there is a knitting show. 2 hours later I call back, he is WATCHING KG and is faciniated that she could knit with wire. And he is in LOVE with the host. "Oh, she is soooo cute!" I could kick his.....

1knitscarf
07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi feministmama,
I record the "Knitty Gritty" shows too, on DVD. Here in L.A. I recorded the marathon day back in January and then during the Super Bowl in February. I wanted to know when the new episodes would start and found this blog post with some "behind the scenes" things.
I was surprised that yarn colors are picked by how they look on the camera. Have you ever seen Bright red and black yarn on the show? If you've seen the show for months, you'll enjoy reading Knitty Gritty: Sushi for the Bathroom (http://mkcarroll.typepad.com/mk_carroll/2006/09/knitty_gritty_s.html)
On the west coast it comes on at 7:30 am (I think) I DVR it too. THen I tape them. I have Most of them on tape. If anyone wants copies of a particular show let me know and I can make a copy for you. Can't wait to get home and see the new episode.

Jan in CA
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi feministmama,
I record the "Knitty Gritty" shows too, on DVD.

You can record on DVD?! You mean if I had a DVD burner I could do that, too?