PDA

View Full Version : Sweaters with Wool-Ease

leslie979
07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Hello everyone. Im a fairly new knitter so ive been using a lot of acrylic due to the cheapness of it. Ive been reading and some people say acrylic is bad to use for sweaters because it doesnt breathe. I also like wool-ease and I was wondering if anyone has used wool-ease for a sweater and if so have you found it comfortable? I have yet to make my first sweater but I'm hesistant to buy say Lornas Lace Lion and Lamb (just an example) if Im gonna screw up!

suzeeq
07-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Go with the woolease for the first one or two. I'm still making my first one, which is a cardigan, but I love working with it. I've made several from acrylic and I find they're a little warmish, but don't find it impossible.

samuraisqurl
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I used Wool Ease for my first sweater for my son. It was soft, the stitches came out looking nice an overall, it was a great sweater. He outgrew it before he really had a chance to wear it out. I would use it again for the kids because its machine washable.

feministmama
07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Another testimonial for wool ease. Great for blankets or sweaters. Nice and warm. Washable. Maybe not as luscious as mmmmmmmalabrigo but easier to care for. Especially children's things. GO for it.

nik
07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
I thought Wool Ease was very scratchy. I'd use it over acrylic, but I'd rather do something in Knitpicks Swish or Cascade 220 washable. You can always frog, or find someone who the sweater will fit. :D
Plus I find it's not as fun to knit with practice yarn. If I have the yarn I want (which isn't Lion and Lamb, usually) the knitting is a lot more fun and exciting.

Lobug
07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I've used a lot of acryilics in my knitting time. My family wears it happily.:) Some of my favorite handknits have been made with Wool-Ease. I prefer it to 100% wool b/c it's not as scratchy to my sensitive skin, it's warm like wool, and it's machine washable. So I say go for it. Enjoy!:cheering:

suzeeq
07-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I thought Wool Ease was very scratchy.

Oh, I don't find that it is; it's fairly comparable to some merinos. I guess each person has a different level of what feels scratchy to them.

leslie979
07-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks all. I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt be weird to wear so Im gonna try it!

Yarnlady
07-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I make lots of sweaters for my grands with acrylic. It's soft when washed and I don't knit so tightly that there isn't "breathing" room for the yarn. It's inexpensive and easy to care for.

Wool-ease is nice, too. I'm making house socks for Christmas presents with it. Once washed I find all the initial scratchiness is gone.

Plymouth Encore is another great wool-acrylic blend. I think it might be a bit more expensive than Wool-ease, but is very nice to work with. Have made several scarves and sweaters with it.

Pick a relatively easy sweater pattern to start with. Making sweaters isn't hard but can be time consuming. Once you've made one and see how they are constructed, then branching out to fancier stitch patterns, cables, etc., is much easier. I like the sweaters at http://knittingfool.com using the sweater generator. They are plain vanilla sweaters, but the pattern is created out of measurements you put into the generator.

suzeeq
07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I second the not knitting tightly advice. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with `breathing', I usually knit worsted on size 10 needles, sometimes larger. Makes everything much softer and drapey, too.

redheadrachel
07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm still working on my first sweater and it's not Wool-Ease, but I have heard from a couple people who used Wool-Ease that they really didn't like it at all. Apparently after wearing it a couple of times, the sweaters ended up looking old and crappy and pilled and the fibers just didn't wear very well at all. :/ So I obviously can't say what I've personally experienced since I don't use it, but just wanted to share what *several* people have told me.

leslie979
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the link yarnlady. I didnt have that one. I like the feel of wool ease even before its washed. I guess everyone is different. I actually bought some merino before and I found it to be scratchier than the wool ease. I dont know about pilling. I was reading on a website that you can buy some sort of shaver and take that off if that happens. I just need to get this first one done and then I can experiment and will feel confident putting more money into buying the yarn once Ive got some experience.