PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Knitting Newbie?

knitpurlgurl
07-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I've recently picked up knitting (about 9 months ago). I haven't finished a big project yet. I'm also a paper crafter, avid reader, a mother of 2, and I work fulltime. So when the itch to knit hits, I pick up my needles. I am working on a basketweave blanket currently and am deathly afraid to try anything that requires sewing/seaming and alot of increasing/decreasing. I've knitted up lots of washcloths and have made alot o scarves. I haven't inished a blanket/afghan yet and I haven't tried anything that requires inc/dc, or sewing pieces together.

I would really like to get better and more adventurous - but I don't have someone to help me if I make boo-boos.

Advice, tips, easy beginner patterns... I mean EASY. I can knit and purl. But like I've said, that's about it. Thanks in advance!:pout:

cara
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I would get some bulky yarn, some big-ish needles and start a hat. Start on a circular needle and knit around. then once you have the hang of it, you can switch over to dpns to do your decreases at the top.

A touque was my first adventurous project and it went surprisingly smoothly and it was fun! :)

Mommy22alyns
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
My advice is to jump right in without fear! This site is a phenomenal resource that has always picked me up when I've fallen knitwise. Pick a pattern that teaches you one new thing - increase/decrease is a good place to start. CO, start working, and ask when you get stuck. It's so much easier to understand when you're at that spot with yarn & needles in hand.

I used this pattern for my actual first FO (second pattern on the page - New England Stole):

http://knittingstuff.blogspot.com/

No seaming, just increases, decreases, and one fun new stitch.

Dive in and enjoy! :cheering:

IrishKnitter
07-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I would recommend a hat, or perhaps a felted bag.

A hat would be good in the round. That way, you wouldn't have to seam! (I've been knitting for over a year, and I'm STILL afraid of seaming! :teehee:) DPNS are not nearly as scary as they seem. One way to get used to them would be to start a hat on circular needles, and then when it comes time to decrease, you could switch to DPNS at that point. For decreasing, you can just do VERY simple k2tog--knitting two stitches together as one.

A felted bag or other project would be good because once it's felted, all the mistakes are hidden! :cheering:

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

psammeadred
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Baby sweaters are great - you'll learn about sweater construction AND have an emergency baby gift!