PDA

View Full Version : Why I started knitting...

carla25
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I just had this on my heart and I had to share this story with you. On June 26, 2007 my loving father passed away, leaving me heartbroken. He was such a wonderful man and knew many people, and it touched me to know he touched so many lives. There were over 500 people that came to visitation to pay their final respects to him. In my process of grieving this loss, I needed something to help me through, and I asked my mother to teach me how to knit. It surprised me how well I caught on. She told me that I am a fast learner, and I have done great just for my first month of knitting. I have joined her "Girls Love Yarn" knitting and crochet club, we meet once a week. When I get my dad on my mind, I sit down pick up my needles and start knitting away and reminisce about my memories of him. Knitting has helped me so much, even though I am still mourning his loss. Thanks for letting me share my story.
In memory of my loving father.

debinoz
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's hard, but it will get better.

My Dad passed away on June 23, 1993. I stopped crocheting after that because we were both crocheting an afghan and kind of having a race to see who could get the farthest each day. When he passed, my mom asked me to finish his last row he was working on so she could put it away. It took me half the day to sc about 90 sts. I just started to crochet again this year.

ready2knit
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Carla,

Thank you for sharing your story. Many of us have used knitting to get us through difficult times. Like you I let my mind wander over happy and sometimes sad thoughts. I always say that knitting keeps one part of my brain distracted while the other part of my brain works on things I'm too afraid to think about!

I'm glad you're finding comfort.

May your father's memory be eternal,

Jana

cinnamon_girl
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Carla,
I'm so sorry for your loss. Missing him and the pain of that loss will never go away but then neither will all your wonderful memories of him.
He must have been a special man.

LeslieA
07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
My dad too passed this past February 28. I had tried to learn to knit previously but would get frustrated and give up. Just before he went into a nursing home I had gotten a pattern for a snowman from a fellow kh'r, I worked on that as we sat and waited in the nursing home. And I finished it.. I find that knitting calms me.

aineepooh1
07-23-2007, 11:11 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
Learning to knit/crochet was one of THE best things I ever did to help me through a VERY ROUGH year~!

Sharly
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
:hug:Carla
Knitting=Therapy for me, too.