PDA

View Full Version : My HOMESPUN yarn experience :-(

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 01:49 AM
I know, I know. The discussion about Lion Brand HOMESPUN is just endless, ain't it? I can't remember who...but someone here at KH had asked "what is all the fuss about" this yarn? I added my two cents worth...but...a PHOTO is worth a million words. I just got back from vacationing on our mountain wilderness property...and I have two HOMESPUN lap blankets that stay there. They are warm and cozy, and I just loved the soft rainbow coloration. However, I just hate the "performance" of the yarn. Aaaargh. Pills, pills, and more pills. So many that the blankets look like they have bugs attached to them! It is almost humorous! Fortunately, these two hideous blankets are mine...not something I gifted to someone! I did gift two sweaters to my son and his wife several years ago...sweaters that I saw them wear one time each. I heard that she was using them for 'round the house bathrobes. Garments not only "pill"...they stretch horribly, too! A size 8 for my DIL became a 28...and my son's size L became a "tent" I think. A lot of work for nothing in my opinion...considering that the sweaters are virtually useless for what they were intended. :pout:

OK, here are a couple photos of my blankies! I gave up on pruning the "pills" after the second washing!

The Garter Stitch Blankie, after multiple washings. :pout:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2269.jpg

A close-up of the "pills"...aka "bugs"!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2271.jpg

The sad appearance of the "fringe".
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2262.jpg

Braden
07-24-2007, 02:28 AM
:ick: It's a shame to see such good knitting go to waste.

GinnyG
07-24-2007, 07:20 AM
I had the same experience with a crochet afghan a few years ago, never touched the yarn again.

atsamom
07-24-2007, 08:00 AM
A picture IS worth a thousand words. Now I am trying to decide what to do with the stash I have waiting for three different sweaters. I'm not even sure I want to donate it. Luckily the sales can be so good on this yarn that I don't think I spent too much on it.

PalmettoGirl
07-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I knitted my DH a scarf with Homespun. It was my first time using Homespun and my first knitted item for my DH. He wore that thing everyday ... absolutely loved it. However it looks like it's been around for decades, but he only used it one season. Poor guy, I need to make him another one ... with a different yarn of course. LOL.

ekgheiy
07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Damn that Homespun!! Shame they so many pretty colors!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

Riss
07-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm working on a ripple throw with homespun right now, and suprisingly enough, I kind of like the worn in look. I think it looks loved and gives the blanket a whole new set of personalities. I think if the pills bother you that much, then don't bring it out for company, just curl up under it with a good book. Who cares? :)

Just my two cents...

phisch
07-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the photos. Pilling is the thing I dislike the most. I guess even wool can pill? But I don't really wear wool either if I can help it since it's too itchy.

pandaca
07-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree, Homespun is so frustrating to work with, especially since the product ends up looking so worn out very quickly.

ekgheiy
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm working on a ripple throw with homespun right now, and suprisingly enough, I kind of like the worn in look. I think it looks loved and gives the blanket a whole new set of personalities. I think if the pills bother you that much, then don't bring it out for company, just curl up under it with a good book. Who cares? :)

Just my two cents... :think: Good point about the worn look. I guess then, my problem with Homespun is the stretch factor. It really does stretch something awful. The stretch probably doesn't matter as much with afghans, but it's a sure no-no with clothing. :ick:

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Just my two cents...

Hi Riss! :waving:

Yeah, that's what I do. They are warm and cozy...so they are in our Wilderness Trailer on top of Nighthawk Summit. We have 20 acres on top of a wilderness mountain in NorthEastern Washington State! We spend one week in May, June, July, Aug and Oct. So these two Homespun blankies are over there on my sofa...and I use them to curl up with a good book (or with some knitting) on chilly mornings or late evenings.

I refuse to toss them. But, like I said the other day..."what happens on the mountain, stays on the mountain..." And that includes my hideous Homespun blankies! :teehee:

feministmama
07-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I use all my homespun in my stash (admit it, we all have some hiding in there) for my knit graffiti projects. I make scarves and put them on statues. there is a fantastic looking buddah mama thing on my campus that is beggin for a hat.

Oh yeah here is my knit graffiti website http://femiknitfiti.blogspot.com/

Mommy22alyns
07-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Damn that Homespun!! Shame they so many pretty colors!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

Yeah... I'm a sucker for colors too!

Riss
07-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I guess that while it is soft, and squishy warmness, I'd never make something wearable out of it aside from something that is okay if it stretches some, like a scarf or hat. Then again, I'm not a big fan of poofy sweaters :P

I think every yarn definitly has its uses though... some just have more than others. :)

losnana
07-24-2007, 06:58 PM
May I suggest pads for your local humane society? About 12 -24" x 12-14" is what my society suggests. Garter stitch and the animals could care les about the pills. Better than tossing it. I wouldn't use Homespun again unless it were the ONLY yarn left in the world. I might even tight things (grass, flowerstalks, etc) together first!

michellebreton
07-30-2007, 09:07 AM
May I suggest pads for your local humane society? About 12 -24" x 12-14" is what my society suggests. Garter stitch and the animals could care les about the pills.

How do you make these pads....other than just making a large rectangle? Is there an actual pad or are you just basically making a dog blanket? :shrug:

Michelle

samm
07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
The back of the Homespun sweater I began and couldn't bring myself to finish, is in the dog's crate. He loves it! I hated working with the stuff, and the back, although done to gauge, looked as if it would fit three people! Stretchy! Such a pretty colour and so soft, and not itchy. I had hopes for that sweater. And four balls of yarn left.... samm

Mrs.H
07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
At one time, not so long ago I was one of those knitters that defended this yarn. Then I finished my shawl, and laundered it a couple if times, it is a frizzy, pilly, stretched out mess. But, it is soft, and cuddly! I keep it on my bed so I can wrap up in it while I'm in bed knitting, or reading(about knitting of course), or just catching up on my beauty sleep.
Will I knit with it again, most likely not. I've still got some left in my stash, and I think I'll use it for pet blankets as suggested. I'll not be using it for anything that might be seen outside my house.
Linda

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 05:48 PM
At one time, not so long ago I was one of those knitters that defended this yarn. Then I finished my shawl, and laundered it a couple if times, it is a frizzy, pilly, stretched out mess. But, it is soft, and cuddly! I keep it on my bed so I can wrap up in it while I'm in bed knitting, or reading(about knitting of course), or just catching up on my beauty sleep.
Will I knit with it again, most likely not. I've still got some left in my stash, and I think I'll use it for pet blankets as suggested. I'll not be using it for anything that might be seen outside my house.
Linda

Hi'ya Linda! :waving:

YUP....exactly! My two Homespun blankies are resting on my trailer couch over on our mountain property. I use them "undercover"! No one but me, DH and the dogs see them! But, DH and the dogs could care less!

They are warm and cozy, however, the bug-like pills are icky to the touch!

Thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbsup:

losnana
07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
How do you make these pads....other than just making a large rectangle? Is there an actual pad or are you just basically making a dog blanket? :shrug:

Michelle

They are just dog blankets that lie on the floor of the kennels. Super easy and a fast way to get rid of that awful yarn.:yay:

Samsam
07-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I made a cabled bag out of that yarn...it's all fuzzy now, but I still love it :D

McKnitty
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I have made three scarves with Homespun, but I also used Fun Fur yarn with it. The Homespun added weight, warmth, texture and great color, and I guess the Fun Fur hides the pills because I've never noticed any.

However, the scarves are heavy and HOT (and I'm talking about temperature). I don't think the yarn 'breathes' at all. Even though the scarves are very pretty to look at, I don't want to wear them!

ArtLady1981
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi! :waving:

A young woman who attends our congregation has a Homespun shawl that she drags to every service. It is a garter stitch shawl, with fringe, that was knit as a gift to her by an elderly lady who also attends our congregation.

Long story short...the young woman is very slender and her legs and knees get cold in the air-conditioning. (I swear...it is always the "suits" who set the temp gauge!)

Her shawl/lap blankie looks pretty good, and I asked her how it stays so nice...does she cut the pills off'n it after washing?

Guess what? She DOESN'T wash it. It just stays in her car...and goes into services, sits on her lap...and goes back out to wait in the car til next services.

So, maybe THAT IS THE SECRET!

Knit all you want with Homespun...just don't wash and tumble dry! :eyebrow:

ekgheiy
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
So, maybe THAT IS THE SECRET!
Knit all you want with Homespun...just don't wash and tumble dry! :eyebrow:

I guess I can see that. I haven't washed my LB-HS shawl either and it hasn't pilled. However, what about the stretching? It still sheds on me, and the fringe? :ick: Hmmmm... :think:

ArtLady1981
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I guess I can see that. I haven't washed my LB-HS shawl either and it hasn't pilled. However, what about the stretching? It still sheds on me, and the fringe? :ick: Hmmmm... :think:

YUP...stretching is just another one of the qualities!

I think I know why it "GROWS" aka stretching.

Notice how 'curly' the strands seem? I think as the curls relax or fall out...the garment 'grows'...

When the garment is a sweater, the body's perspiration, even if slight...causes the yarn to relax and stretch.

Kinda like a woman with shoulder length curly hair ...when she gets it wet, it can reach the middle of her back.

If a shawl stretches it might not be a critical. But, it could...if you wanted the shawl to look like a shawl...not a sarape! :pout:

ekgheiy
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Kinda like a woman with shoulder length curly hair ...when she gets it wet, it can reach the middle of her back.
Good point!! I have that same issue: When my hair is dry, it's *just* touching my shoulder; when wet, it looks nearly 7 or 8 inches longer. Now why didn't I make that connection with homespun?? :doh: :teehee: Ah well, I still will likely never buy it again. But I still have a few skeins of it in the stash that I haven't figure out what to make with it. :think:

larudden
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Michelle!
http://www.snugglesproject.org
Here's a great site with neato patterns for items to give to cute little animals awaiting homes. I'm currently in the middle of crocheting 2 snuggle tubbies. It's so much fun making these, knowing that they'll go to keep some kitties warm and feeling safe.

michellebreton
08-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks Leslie!

That is a great site. I've got it bookmarked for future reference.

Michelle

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Michelle!
http://www.snugglesproject.org
Here's a great site with neato patterns for items to give to cute little animals awaiting homes. I'm currently in the middle of crocheting 2 snuggle tubbies. It's so much fun making these, knowing that they'll go to keep some kitties warm and feeling safe.

Hi! :waving:

I clicked the link, and saw the wonderful mission statement! How cool!

QUICK QUESTION regarding the animal shelters...do they use and re-use the "snuggles" for the different animals coming into the shelter...or do they throw out the snuggle when the animal leaves the shelter?

I am wondering about the transfer of canine and feline parvovirus from animal to animal through the use and re-use of the snuggles for multiple animals.

Does anyone know what animal shelter policy is?

ekgheiy
08-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I am wondering about the transfer of canine and feline parvovirus from animal to animal through the use and re-use of the snuggles for multiple animals.

Does anyone know what animal shelter policy is?

I can't imagine a shelter would reuse a "snuggle" without washing it first. :think: Surely proper laundering should alleviate the worry of transmission??:??

When I was kid, we tried to adopt a stray puppy. As it turned out, the puppy had parvo. We took the puppy and our dog (who we'd had for years) to vet. The vet claimed she couldn't do anything for the puppy and euthanized him. (I was a kid, so I don't remember how much resistance or effort was put forth to save him the puppy.) We then went home and washed everything in the house and bleached the back yard; it had to have worked because our other dog didn't get sick. Also, I've read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parvovirus) that parvo can't be transmitted cross-species - a cat can get it from a dog or vice versa. It's wiki though, so who knows if it really true?

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I can't imagine a shelter would reuse a "snuggle" without washing it first. :think: Surely proper laundering should alleviate the worry of transmission??:??

When I was kid, we tried to adopt a stray puppy. As it turned out, the puppy had parvo. We took the puppy and our dog (who we'd had for years) to vet. The vet claimed she couldn't do anything for the puppy and euthanized him. (I was a kid, so I don't remember how much resistance or effort was put forth to save him the puppy.) We then went home and washed everything in the house and bleached the back yard; it had to have worked because our other dog didn't get sick. Also, I've read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parvovirus) that parvo can't be transmitted cross-species - a cat can get it from a dog or vice versa. It's wiki though, so who knows if it really true?

I didn't know that the snuggles are being donated for cats only. You are right: Canine parvo and feline parvo are independent diseases, and a dog can't pass his parvo to a cat, and vice versa.

However, your family dog may have been protected through his shots. Parvo is included in the series of puppy shots and booster shots.

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Hi'ya!

I spoke with our VET...and asked about the transmission of feline distemper and/or parvovirus from cat-to-cat through the use and re-use of the snuggle blankies.

She said, "due to the high contagiousness of parvo and distemper...only EXTREME BLEACHING could remove the diseases from any surface or any thing, such as the blankets". She recommends tossing out any blanket on which a cat (with either of the two diseases) had laid upon since EXTREME BLEACHING would ruin the snuggle, and regular laundering will not remove the disease from the blankets.

In an animal shelter, there are so many unknowns. A cat can be fostering a disease without obvious symptoms being displayed...but, the snuggle would retain the disease nonetheless.

I would recommend that any animal shelter use brand new donated snuggles for each cat that comes in...and if the cat is adopted, send the snuggle home with the cat...if the new owner wants something that was used in an animal shelter, which I doubt.

Anyhoo, I am sure that any animal shelter is "up on their stuff" with regards to disease transmission. They probably do discard the snuggle after a one-cat-use...or send it home with the cat.

These Homespun snuggles (or any-yarn snuggles) are the most worthwhile charity knitting I have heard of! So generous and thoughtful! We need more animal lovers like these knitters! :heart:

Rhea
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
When my mom and I learned how to knit, she knit me a sweater, i think it was in this yarn. I've only worn it a few times and it's all stretched out an pill-y. I feel bad for not wearing it very much (only round the house in winter) but it really doesn't fit me anymore because of how stretched out it got.