PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Pattern in Japanese book...it's ilustrated...

Nichan
07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
i like japanese craft book...i usually buy it and can figure out how to make it...(they were not knitting books)
but with knitting...i'm clueless...eventhough it's illustrated, i mean the pattern is not in words explanation form...i'm still lucky anyway...can't imagine if it's in words explanation...fiuh...but still, i don't get it whether it's decrease, or else with those picture pattern...

i want to know if there's anyone can give me link, books, or anything about 'drawing' pattern' (especially, how to read those patterns in japanese book)...how to read those 'codes'...and else...

i also want to know...do drawing patterns have standard form? like words patterns?

japanese design is usually cute and innovative...that's why i'm always interested in their books...

Susan P.
07-24-2007, 09:15 AM
I suspect you may need to approach a Japanese culture/craft book or even someone at an embassy if you have one in the city where you live. Interesting topic. I didn't know they only had images and not text explanations..unless of course the book you have is just a fashion style book and not intended to be a full pattern book as such. Hope someone can enlighten. IF it is a craft book though, it may be talking about sewing and not knitting as such??

Sara
07-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I saw an article recently that explained how to read Japanese patterns. Try this one:

http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/graphchart/e-index.html

There are others if you google "how to read japanese knit pattern".

Nichan
07-25-2007, 06:40 AM
no, it's not fashion style book...it's really really knitting books...but there are graphical only...well, some words to interprate the graphical...but it's in japanese...but mostly, the shape to be made, the stitches styles are in graphical...even for crochet...

i usually buy anything-to-do-with-sew craft books...hats, flowers...but i can sew...so i got the instinct already...besides, sewing doesn't have some graphical or diagram codes that i have to learn again...

japanese craft really has different style with western's...
i have a copy of flowers crochet...a lot of flowers...they make it like a home flower bouquet and arrange it in a vas...very cute...i've never seen this idea in western book...or i just dont find it...i can read those flower crochet so far but knit...fiuh...

Nichan
07-25-2007, 06:44 AM
thanks Sara...
that short tutorial will be a good start to learn...

Nichan
07-25-2007, 07:25 AM
:cheering::woohoo:
That website is not for japanese knitting source...it's for EVERY BEGINNER whether japanese or NOT...
i remember i used to dont get it about what yo is...and it's illustrated, here...:yay::yay::woot:

i think, it's very rare to find such a website with generous illustrated knitting basic...
thank you, thank you thank you