PDA

View Full Version : FO: Two "Quickie" Baby Sweaters!

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi! :waving:

Had to make two emergency baby sweaters for an upcoming baby shower! The young woman's pregnancy just went by so fast (well, for me it went by fast!) Her shower is scheduled for this weekend...and everyone expects to see some hand-knits girts from me!

The little blue pullover took just one day. We were enjoying our July wilderness week...so I was able to devote most of the day to it!

The blue jacket (knit in one piece) took longer. Garter stitch always takes a million stitches. Have made this jacket for two girl babies this past winter, too. It is one of my favorite patterns.

Had to wait til I got home to do the blue jacket seaming and buttons. Tried to find "Stash Buttons"...but, didn't have any 1/2" buttons that looked good. The button holes were the "knit two together, yarn over" style, so they were small. I like the crayon buttons. They slip in easy, but, on the other hand...they stay shut, too!

Have the hat in progress. I have one yellow pencil button leftover, so I think I will sew it to the top of the little stocking hat...kinda where you would put a pom-pom. If it looks ridiculous on top...I might attach it to the fold-up brim. It that looks ridiculous, I will have a loose button on my hands. :pout:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2360.jpg

The pattern for this little sweater had lots of problems to work through. The neck turned out the size of an orange...and the sleeve pattern directions said to make them 4" in length! Ach! The sweater is 8" long. Four inch sleeves looked way too short...like a short sleeved garment. So I continued along and made them 6". The pattern photos showed all three versions as "long sleeved" pullovers. I had to leave the neck and 1/2 the shoulder open and fashioned two crocheted button loops. It looks ok.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2359.jpg

nonny2t
07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Just adorable! I have found more patterns where the sleeve length is ridiculously short. I wonder just who they make them for!:lol:

MerigoldinWA
07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
ArtLady,

I've been making 0-3 month size sweaters lately. I've noticed that the they are not all the same size at all. And the sleeves like you said are short. I made mine a little longer too, but I'm wondering if they couldn't be right about the 4 inches. :?? Those little buggers have really short arms.

I love both of your sweaters. The blue with the crayon buttons is my favorite. I love garter stitch. Looking at it, not knitting it. :grin: It is a slow one. Well, I like not having to purl, so it's a trade off.

In another post I learned you have a cabin at Nighthawk Summit. I did a search in Okanogan County for that land feature and didn't find it. Is it in Okanogan County? Is it near the border crossing at Nighthawk? That is not a long way from where I live. I live about 35 miles south of Omak. Do you go near there when you travel from Kent to the cabin?

redheadrachel
07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
I absolutely LOVE the little blue pullover! Great quick project!! :D

Jan in CA
07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Awww those are adorable!

LadyB
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Those are adorable!:cheering: I love those buttons; they are Perfect. The new mom, and the baby, will, I'm sure, love them.

ekgheiy
07-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Very nicely done!! The blue one is my fav. :) For some reason, some of the people at my old job expected knit gifts from me too! HA - not on their lives!!! :twisted: :teehee:

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 07:37 PM
ArtLady,

I've been making 0-3 month size sweaters lately. I've noticed that the they are not all the same size at all. And the sleeves like you said are short. I made mine a little longer too, but I'm wondering if they couldn't be right about the 4 inches. :?? Those little buggers have really short arms.

I love both of your sweaters. The blue with the crayon buttons is my favorite. I love garter stitch. Looking at it, not knitting it. :grin: It is a slow one. Well, I like not having to purl, so it's a trade off.

In another post I learned you have a cabin at Nighthawk Summit. I did a search in Okanogan County for that land feature and didn't find it. Is it in Okanogan County? Is it near the border crossing at Nighthawk? That is not a long way from where I live. I live about 35 miles south of Omak. Do you go near there when you travel from Kent to the cabin?

Hi Merigold! :waving:

Our 20 acres is near the town of Republic off Hwy 20.
We do pass through Omak en route from Kent. We usually stop for a burger and let our hounds out for a rest at the Burger King, kitty corner from the Wal-Mart. We take I-90 to CleElum...then hop onto 970 over Blewett Pass. We travel US97/US2 through Wenatchee, over the river, head north on US97 to Tonasket. At the Shell Station in Tonasket, we turn Right onto 6th/US20 and follow it to Swan Lake Road, at about milepost 299. We turn Right onto Swan Lake Road, then a Right onto Mule Deer Road...and follow that, switch-backing up the mountain to about the 4300' elevation. Our 20 acres is what they call "off the grid". We named it "Nighthawk Summit" ourselves because we are at the TOP...everything else is downhill! Also, the slopes of our main camp is a Nighthawk (the bird) breeding ground. So the name. Every evening they fly around our heads overhead, feeding on evening bugs. They "buzz" us...and swoop real low through our camp! It is quite the sound! We also have a resident Black Bear and her cub on our 20 acres, a cougar, moose, whitetail, coyotes, etc. Well, who doesn't have coyotes these days? The bear and cougar have never walked through our main camp at the top...but all around it. We see the tracks in the early morning before the winds have a chance to degrade the tracks. We think our two Treeing Walker Coonhounds are the main reason the bear and cougar avoid our camp...that, and their own food supply must be sufficient. On our hikes we do see evidence of the bear, teaing apart wood to get at ant nests, grubs, or whatever else. We also see cougar scratching posts (trees), and we see bear claw prints running up certain trees in our gully. We have never seen mule deer at our elevation. My DH takes one whitetail buck per season, about 20 yards from our main camp. He just sets a chair by a tree, and waits. DH is building a log house, from scratch. For vacationing mainly. Six feet of snow in winter makes it impossible to reach the summit except by snow shoe or snow machine. DH snow shoes in twice per winter with his hounds. Just to "check on things". It's a guy thing. :eyebrow:

Well, this post has become quite OT, but, it is enjoyable meeting other knitters and learning a little about them, isn't it??!! Thanks for asking!

This is me, knitting on the summit during our June trip!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1443.jpg

This is our July trip!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2099.jpg

This is July, during the Tunk Mountain fire. Lots of smoke came our way in the Republic area. We were very glad when the rain storms hit the next day or so! By the time we came home this past Sunday, the skies and horizon were crystal clear again. To the east we have a view of Sherman Pass....and we could see it again, too. This photo is looking kind of Southwest. Sherman Pass is to my back.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2122.jpg

cam90066
07-24-2007, 07:40 PM
LOVE the blue with pencils!! :) Also not a fan of garter (doing it) but it looks fab.

cam

Ellen Edwards
07-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Abssolutely beautiful -- I don't know how you get knitting done with a veiw like that!! I would really love to live in the mountains.

The sweaters are darling--I wondered what patterns and what yarn you used? I'm trying to get a sweater small enough for my 2 month old grandaughter, but they turn out too big!! Are your patterns on the internet or in a book--and what yarn aand what size needles did you use?? Thanks-in advance!

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Abssolutely beautiful -- I don't know how you get knitting done with a veiw like that!! I would really love to live in the mountains.

The sweaters are darling--I wondered what patterns and what yarn you used? I'm trying to get a sweater small enough for my 2 month old grandaughter, but they turn out too big!! Are your patterns on the internet or in a book--and what yarn aand what size needles did you use?? Thanks-in advance!

Hi Ellen! :waving: Thanks so much for the pat on the back! :hug:

The patterns are in leaflets...and a little later on, I will take photos of the leaflets and post them here. The tweed pullover is a Sirdar DK Tweed...purchased on Ebay several years ago for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Can't get over how far the yarn has streeeetttttcccchhhhed! I think I won 15 skeins...not realizing that it would make so many kids garments. I like the cream/lt blue/beige tweed effect for little boy stuff, but I also made a poncho for a 10 yr old girl at our church...to wear with her lkt blue faded denims. She just loved it. I thought my remaining yarn would use up the rest of it...but, not so!

The dark blue yarn is a TLC Soft Aran Weight. It is really a deeper indigo blue than the photo shows. I made a double breasted jacket for my little grandson a couple years ago...and still had lots left over. I got it in a close-out sale bin at Joann's Craft and Yarn Shop! About a buck a skein. Don'tcha just love sales like that??? So I had to be a HOG...and bought all the skeins left. About 7 of them I think!

I won't forget to post those leaflets a little later. I have to go soak my foot. I got a rafter-sized chunk of wood imbedded in my big toe today...running across the deck...and had to nearly amputate my toe to all of it out! Aaarrgh. :waah:

ah
07-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Those are great!

panchita
07-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I, too, adore the blue cardigan. The garter stitch is so textural and lovely. Nice work!! Nice vacation spot, too.. WOW!

ArtLady1981
07-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi! :waving:

The blue tweed pullover came from this leaflet:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2374.jpg

The blue garter stitch jacket came from this leaflet: http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2372.jpg

knitaholic
07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Beautiful work--what pattern did you use for the little blue garter stitch sweater? I love this!!

Knitaholic

ADAllen
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Those are adorable. You are great inspiration!

aprilbetty
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Both sweaters are adorable. Your work is exquisite!

Susan P.
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Great work. My son had a jumper really similar to the second one when he was small..that sure took me back :)

You seem to have a really great 'even' knitting style across all the items you make. Well done!

Susan P.
07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Ah..glad to know Naturally pattern was involved here. Might I say that most of their children's patterns are wonderful.

newamy
07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Those are cute, love the crayon buttons.

rorygilmore
07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
those looks great. man, you're a fast knitter!

ArtLady1981
07-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Beautiful work--what pattern did you use for the little blue garter stitch sweater? I love this!!

Knitaholic

Hi Knit! :waving:

Take a peek...just above YOUR post, I posted photos of the pattern. You must have clicked REPLY without seeing the page 2 of these Posts. Or, we were posting at the same time!

Enjoy!

I have made this little jacket three times now...twice for girl babies, once for a boy! It is a favorite!

ArtLady1981
07-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi all! :waving: THE HAT IS DONE!!!!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2378.jpg

knitaholic
07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Sorry--I honestly didn't see the pictures until now. Nice work--love the cap also.

Knitaholic

auburnchick
07-25-2007, 09:57 PM
ArtLady,

You rock! Your projects are truly works of art. The recipients are going to love them!

ArtLady1981
07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
ArtLady,

You rock! Your projects are truly works of art. The recipients are going to love them!

Hi Nat! :waving:

I can hardly wait til the baby shower. It has been postponed til the little wee guy is born. His momma is on bed rest, doctor's orders. Her placenta is not nourishing the baby, that's what all the tests determined. He is due in Sept...and he is in no immediate distress or danger. His momma just has to take it easy until he's born...so her body can devote all energy to the baby.

I hope I am not working when they decide to pop the shower...or on vacation! Well, I will take my gift over to the location of the shower regardless if I have to work or go out of town.

The blue tweed pullover is small enough to fit him in Sept.
Am going to get those khaki twill trousers for it. We have a Babies-R-Us near me...and they never fail me.

The blue jacket and hat should get him through the Fall and Winter. Maybe I will look for Osh-Kosh overalls to go with the blue jacket with the crayon buttons? Any other suggestions from anyone?

I am not used to shopping for baby boys...I have 10 grandchildren...8 of which are girls.

KnittingNat
07-26-2007, 03:02 PM
ArtLady, these are so beautiful....As usual with you - gorgeous stuff! And i loved the pencil buttons, i have one similar on a hat.

ArtLady1981
07-26-2007, 03:45 PM
ArtLady, these are so beautiful....As usual with you - gorgeous stuff! And i loved the pencil buttons, i have one similar on a hat.

Hi'ya Nat! :waving:

Thank you so much for your kind words! I appreciate it!
:notworthy:

I just loves sharing with my KH fellow knitters. Everyone is so generous with their "pats on the back"! We all need it, don't we?? :grphug:

KnittingNat
07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
We sure do!:cheering::cheering::cheering:

msoebel
07-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Thought I would post what I think is the answer to those annoying short short sleeves on baby clothes:

Babies' shoulders aren't very wide, so most shoulders on homemade sweaters end up being "dropped shoulders". When you look at the picture on the pattern (the ones that actually show a baby model wearing the garment) most of the time, the shoulders fall about 1-2" below the shoulder, on the arm.

It looks adorable on them, but ridiculous on us!

Meanwhile, it means that if you make the baby a cardigan and knit longer sleeves than required, the baby can wear the thing for a long, long time.

Dd received one beautiful cardigarn when she was born from dh's aunt...it was sized for 0-3 months...but she was still wearing it when she was 1 years old!

ArtLady1981
07-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Thought I would post what I think is the answer to those annoying short short sleeves on baby clothes:

Babies' shoulders aren't very wide, so most shoulders on homemade sweaters end up being "dropped shoulders". When you look at the picture on the pattern (the ones that actually show a baby model wearing the garment) most of the time, the shoulders fall about 1-2" below the shoulder, on the arm.

It looks adorable on them, but ridiculous on us!

Meanwhile, it means that if you make the baby a cardigan and knit longer sleeves than required, the baby can wear the thing for a long, long time.

Dd received one beautiful cardigarn when she was born from dh's aunt...it was sized for 0-3 months...but she was still wearing it when she was 1 years old!

TeeHee! That is humorous! Thanks for sharing the family saga! :muah:

I know what you mean about baby arms. When I got my sleeve to the 4"...it just didn't look proportionate! It did not resemble the proportions of the model sweaters on the front of the leaflet either. So, I thought...hmmmm....better that the mother have sleeve that come to the wrist...than the elbow...and if she has to "cuff" excess...well, wwhat mother hasn't had to do that! :wink:

MerigoldinWA
07-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Misty and ArtLady,

Another thought on baby arms.... A friend recently sent me a picture of her new granddaughter. It is a real cute picture; she is asleep in a carseat or something and has her arms straight up along side of her head. Her arms barely reach the top of her head. You stick your arms straight up along side your head. Big difference. LOL

It takes a long time for children's arms to get proportioned like grownup arms. I heard that in some places, years ago the missionaries determined if a child was ready to attend school by a simple test. Could they reach up over their head and over to the earlobe on the other side. If they couldn't, they couldn't come to school yet. And I think they were not wanting to start the kids at 6, but older.

Merigold

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Misty and ArtLady,

Another thought on baby arms.... A friend recently sent me a picture of her new granddaughter. It is a real cute picture; she is asleep in a carseat or something and has her arms straight up along side of her head. Her arms barely reach the top of her head. You stick your arms straight up along side your head. Big difference. LOL

It takes a long time for children's arms to get proportioned like grownup arms. I heard that in some places, years ago the missionaries determined if a child was ready to attend school by a simple test. Could they reach up over their head and over to the earlobe on the other side. If they couldn't, they couldn't come to school yet. And I think they were not wanting to start the kids at 6, but older.

Merigold

Hi'ya Merigold! :waving:

That was a cute anecdote! Thanks for sharing! I think you and Misty have it about right! You'd think I would, being a mother of 5 and a grandmother of 10...know already! :shrug:

Duckling326
07-28-2007, 12:47 AM
I love the second sweater. What a lucky baby!

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 01:27 AM
I love the second sweater. What a lucky baby!

Hi'ya little Duckling! :waving: Thank you! I see we are "neighbors" sorta! I love Shelton! It is a beautiful town and area! I did an art show for some National Guard folks in Shelton in Nov 2005!

pss56
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Just love the little blue jacket, would like to try the knit in one piece as I have an ufo which is a baby hoodie that is in pieces because I am so intimidated by the blocking and seaming it together. I am going to finish it though. Anyway what pattern is the little blue jacket?

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Just love the little blue jacket, would like to try the knit in one piece as I have an ufo which is a baby hoodie that is in pieces because I am so intimidated by the blocking and seaming it together. I am going to finish it though. Anyway what pattern is the little blue jacket?

Hi there! :waving:

I posted a photo of the leaflet on page 2 of this thread!
You can access it HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=62726&page=2) if you wish. It is halfway down the page.
I can't post the pattern. It is copyright protected. The leaflet is relatively new...not a vintage leaflet.

I am glad you like it! It does have seaming however: up the side seam, turn, and down the sleeve to the cuff.

But, that is all.

dewdrops
07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Very nice.......I like the blue color and the pencil buttons are cute too.
:cheering:

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Very nice.......I like the blue color and the pencil buttons are cute too.
:cheering:

Thanks for your kind words! :aww: You made my day! :hug:

AnotherBecca
08-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Love that pullover! Glad you worked the pattern out. Those pencil buttons are too cute!

ArtLady1981
08-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Love that pullover! Glad you worked the pattern out. Those pencil buttons are too cute!

Hi AnotherBecca! :waving: Thank you for your kind words!
There were about 3 things about the pattern that I had to adjust, but fortunately, the sweater was small, and the adjustments were not earth-shaking...just annoying! :wink:

What I like about the pencil buttons is this: since they are skinny, they fit into a teeny buttonhole...but, since they are longish...they "stay buttoned"!

If I hadn't found this style of button, I would have been forced to buy 1/4" or 3/8" buttons...and buttons that small are almost invisible on a dark blue jacket. I needed a button with some "punch" to stand out on the dark blue jacket.