View Full Version : Decreasing on LHS and RHS

Bug
07-25-2007, 06:01 AM
if I wanted to make something in the shape of this:

XXXX
XXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXXX

so that I need to decrease on both the left and right hand side, can I use K2tog on my first 2 and last 2 stitches in the row to achieve this?

meearnol
07-25-2007, 07:22 AM
You can, but half of your decreases will be leaning the wrong way. I'd say do one side K2tog and the other side SSK (or whichever left leaning decrease you prefer). Check out Amy's videos (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php) to help you decide and give you a better idea of how it will look. Happy knitting!

Bug
07-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't understand how to do the SSK. I can view the videos at the moment because I am in work, but I can't understand the written instructions. I'm sure all will become clear when I see the video but can anyone explain it a bit more in depth for me? like a total dummies guide :-)

Ingrid
07-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Slip two stitches, one at a time, as if to knit over to the right needle.

Insert your left needle into the front of them on the right needle.

It will look like you're knitting through the back loop. Then knit them.

You can also do a knit 1, slip 1, pass slipped stitch over decrease on the right and a k2tog on the left. It looks nice when you leave a knit stitch on each edge--do your decreases in the second and third stitches from the edge.

Bug
07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
ok thanks! I will give it a go tonight hopefully!

suzeeq
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
SSK is very like SKP - slip, knit 1 pass slipped stitch over. You would do one of these at the beginning of the row, and k2tog at the end to match them.

Ooops, I didn't read all of Ingrid's post. That's what she said.