PDA

View Full Version : I bought a wheel!

Jess_knit
07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm so excited! I've been saving up to buy a Fricke S-160 DT for a couple months, and I finally bought my wheel from Woodland Woolworks on Sunday!

I got a tracking number yesterday, and it's already in transit to some place in Illinois...I can expect it by Tuesday.
:woohoo:

KnitClickChick
07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
That's great! I have been wanting to spin for about a year now, but wheels are just not in my budget right now. I am saving up though. How did you decide what type of wheel to buy? If you have any tips I would much appreciate it.

Denali
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Congrads on the new wheel:yay: You will have so much fun with it. I've had mine for a little over a year now, and have done a great deal of spinning.

If you are not familiar with spinning, may I suggest going down to the local doggie shop for a free bag of fur. This will give you practice carding your own fiber, and you can spin it (assuming it's long enough anything about an inch long). That way when you get some really nice fiber you can spin it easier with fewer bumps and lumps. This is how I practiced, and my yarn is now looking more like yarn.

Jess_knit
07-26-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't have access to a shop at which I could try wheels (that seems to be the number one tip), so I did tons of research online. Mostly, I googled all kinds of stuff on wheels to learn what would suit me, and read reviews of wheels made by users. (Julie, your decision to buy a Fricke is what first turned me on to one!)

I'm really looking forward to being able to wheel spin, after a couple months of spindle spinning. I have some beautiful fibers just waiting to be turned into yarn. ;-)

Julie
07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
:mrgreen: :happydance: :thumbsup:

Awesome! I luuuurve my Fricke. :heart: Such a great starter wheel, can't beat the price, yet it doesn't feel basic, kwim?

So excited for you! :mrgreen:

Miss Kittie
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Congrats!!!! Let the fun begin!

yarnfreak
07-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Ooooh, congrats! You are going to have so much fun!!

Jess_knit
07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Ok, my wheel is due to be delivered tomorrow! I've taken up checking the UPS tracking site several times a day...currently, my wheel is in transit to some town I've never heard of that is apparently about 8 miles from here.

I ordered 2 colorways of Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino in anticipation (they were shipped today), and when I'm not stalking the UPS site, I'm itching to learn to spin on the wheel. I think I've been dreaming about spinning on a wheel...not having to wind onto the spindle...

Squeeeee!

(I did wonder something. Does a Fricke S-160 need oiled?)

Jess_knit
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM
It's here and assembled! It took me about an hour and a half, I was confused about some parts, but now it's all put together.

Woodland Woolworks sent me a small niddy noddy, a bottle of wood wax, and a pound of corriedale cross, all for free! I'm glad I ordered from them.

Fricke sent me a little bottle of oil, and the instructions said it needs oiled mostly where the bobbin touches the shaft.

Here it is, next to my mess of a desk...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/doggyfan33/DSCN0116.jpg

I'm now going to go spin my brains out.

Julie
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
:happydance: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have fun!

yarnfreak
07-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Nice. Remember to take a break every so often. Don't want to kill your back and arms. Can't wait to see the yarn!!

jeanius80
07-31-2007, 05:31 PM
what a beautiful wheel :heart: i'm saving up for one... some day my wheel will be a reality ;)

Jess_knit
07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
jeanius, do you have a particular wheel in mind? If not, I definitely recommend the Fricke! I can't wait to see whatever you decide on, though.

I finished my first skein; I'd say it's about worsted, lighter in spots. 30 yards, and very quick to spin. The singles broke in a couple places while I was spinning them though, I need to work on my technique. :teehee:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/doggyfan33/DSCN0117.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

jeanius80
07-31-2007, 10:30 PM
very pretty!
i have no idea what wheel i'll eventually get! i figured when i am closer to my monetary goal (say, $200) then i can try out different wheels. I think there is a spinners/weavers guild nearby, and i know my LYS sells ashfords. :shrug: right now, it's just research and dreaming :)