PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to my braces!!

meearnol
07-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I've had my braces on since January of last year, and I'm about sick to death of them. I had a fairly messed up smile (IMO, at least), so I'm glad I got them, but sometimes it's hard to remember that. Anyway, I went to the orthodontist today and she said I'm almost done! I made my appointment, and I get them off on September 4th! HOORAY!!! I thought I was going to have to go through one more summer without having any Indiana sweet corn, and that, my friends, is just cruel. :)

Riss
07-25-2007, 10:49 PM
woohoo! congrats on getting a date for that. Its totally something to look forward to. You should plan a big cook out and have all the corn you can eat! Yanno... they make these neato corn "pealer" things (http://www.kitchenetc.com/p-138879-0-_Corn-Brush-and-Kernel-Corn-Kutter-2-pcanbspimg-srcimageskitchenetc2logobesticonygif.aspx)... My brother has braces, and my grandfather has dentures... and we have about 4 of these things in the house. They swear by em! :)

knitwit628
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Cool!!! :cheering: I have had my braces since the summer of 2005. I had really crooked teeth for some reason. Well, I get them off this September too!!! After I get them off, I will be getting my teeth whitened. I am so excited! The only problem is that school pictures and reshoots are all in the month of August for my school. I guess I will have to deal with one more school picture of me with them on.

Isn't it a relief to know that the braces stage of your life is almost over? :teehee:

madametj
07-26-2007, 01:05 AM
yay! :happydance: i can share your joy cus, i got mine of 2 months ago (on of my friends is soo jealous:teehee:).

now i can't wait to wear these stupid retainers at night only instead of all day :roll:

orcoastknitter
07-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Congrats!

Oooh I remember when I had braces. I hated them! I had the old fashioned ones that wrapped around your teeth... ewww they were bad. Ok, so it was a loooooooooooooong time ago....:oo: I had to wear the neck gear thingie... yes what a fashion statement! Things have changed.

I went into a orthodontist office last year to have my teeth checked, because my front teeth have now started to hit my bottom teeth causing the top ones to become loose. Back when I had mine removed they didn't give me anything, now I hear they put a permanent retainer in. So they were hoping that would help, but no luck.

Also, I was jealous because you can pick color bands for your braces and while they worked on your mouth you can watch TV! I felt robbed... :teehee:

PS... I was one of those "bad" patients... I ate ice and corn on the cob.. cleaning out the corn from my braces wasn't fun though...:ick:

Susan P.
07-26-2007, 02:27 AM
At first it will seem really strange when they are removed but oh sooo nice :) Good for you..and hug your parents for paying all that money! :thumbsup:

knitwit628
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
hmmm i eat corn on the cob and popcorn and all that good stuff with my braces on. Actually, I dont know if I'm allowed to or not, but my orthodontist considers me one of his best patients so maybe I brush a lot and am able to get away with it without him noticing. :)

meearnol
07-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Susan - I'd thank my parents, but I paid for these braces myself (I'm 25). ;) It was very pricey, but I think it was worth it.

Susan P.
07-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh LOL Sorry. Well, good for you :)

sugarfunpouch
07-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Yea! No more braces! (for you) :thumbsup::blooby:

debinoz
07-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Congrats!! DS gets his off in December. He had the headgear for awhile, then a MARA. He hasn't minded them too much because they're the gold ones and not very noticeable unless he picks some really wild color bands. He's had them for over 2 years and I'm hoping there isn't much scarring. Now I'll just have to argue with him about wearing his retainer!!

betty bat
07-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm another adult braces wearer! I got them in October, 2005, uppers were removed in April, 2007 and lowers will come off on September 4, 2007 (not that I'm counting the minutes or anything!).

For any of you who might be adults in braces or know any adults in braces, do you know about the adult brace website: www.archwired.com ? I've been an active member of that since I got mine and it was a big help. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many adult braces wearers on this knitting site!

BinkyKat
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I had my braces in highschool, but still remember the day I got mine off. Seemed too easy for them to crank them off, I'm surprised they stayed on as well as they did!:teehee:
I chewed gum even though I wasn't supposed to, until my jaw started to hurt and the orthodontist knew without me even telling him. I couldn't open my mouth more than inch one morning. Soooo, that was the end until they came off. The first thing I asked for was change from my dad when he picked me up to take me to school that morning for gum. I actually didn't enjoy it because for several months after, my teeth still felt loose. My advice, don't go crazy on apples, corn, or gum right away, your jaw is still soft and you don't want to aggravate things until your teeth settle in....my 2 cents...:thumbsup:

meearnol
07-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Betty - thanks for the link! I'd never seen it before, and I wish I had found it sooner. We're getting our braces off on the same day! Yay for us! :woot:

Jodie - that's something I hadn't thought about. I'll try to resist the corn, but I'll be honest, it will be hard. Mainly I'll just be happy to eat things and not have them stuck in my braces, like oreos. That's never a good look. :doh:

I keep thinking that something is going to happen that will prevent me from getting them off when I'm supposed to. I sure hope not though!

BinkyKat
07-28-2007, 06:42 PM
The first time I bit into an apple that week, I thought I would leave a full set of dentures attached...like in those funny videos :lol: Corn got horribly caught until things tightened back up again...

Funny you should mention the "food stuck in your braces"...my best friend from highschool still tells people *20 years later* that her first memory of me when we met in 9th grade was when I asked her, "do I have waffles stuck in my braces?" :shock: :teehee:
In fact, I was so ocd about not getting cavaties during those 2 years, that I became too hard of a brusher. To this day my gums are sort of pushed back if you will, I have been admonished to use a soft soft brush. unfortunately, I have been naughty about dental visits the last several years. The last hygienist sort of put me ill at ease and altho I tell dh to take better care of his teeth, I brush regularly, don't floss :oops: and haven't been for a cleaning in several years :oops::oops::oops:

i still say having braces was the best diet to be on. that monthly tightening made my mouth hurt and gave me headaches. I would eat apple sauce, soup or pudding only for a week and pretty much picked everything else to pieces so I didn't have to bite. that was too fiddly so a lot of times I just ate small amounts. I was healthy of course, but as a chubby kid, it really slimmed me down. perhaps i should get the reapplied to freshen up and slim down! lol
I do wish my teeth were whiter. nothing works, mom says antibiotics as a kid may have done it...altho i thought that was a wives' tale..

vaknitter
07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Congrats on getting your braces off. How was having braces as an adult? My DH is thinking about it..

I would suggest you take some sort of pain reliever before going to get the braces taken off.....mine hurt just as much coming off as going on. I remember my parents ran me to the dentist the next day too so I had to wait a few days to dig into all the foods I wasn't suppossed to be eating with the braces on....it's just cruel. Of course, my dad did buy 7-11 slurlies or McD's milkshakes after every visit : )

meearnol
07-28-2007, 11:56 PM
vaknitter - it wasn't terrible having them as an adult. I was a little uncomfortable at first, but it was really just because I was so self-conscious about it. No one else really said anything about them. The worst part for me was dating. It's kind of weird going on a first date and talking about your dental apparatuses, but since I would assume your DH won't be going on many first dates, it probably won't be an issue for him. ;)

Overall, I'm really glad I got them. The only comments I've gotten about them have been positive. I'd tell DH to go for it. It has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Plus, I'll have a rockin' smile in a few more weeks! :woot: