PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you feel boring in one long and big project...

Nichan
07-26-2007, 07:05 AM
how do you eliminate the boring feeling?...
i'm making a big bag now...quite boring...
do you ever feel the same way too? and what do you do?
:X:

Susan P.
07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Grit your teeth :) I tend to ensure that every 30min or so I go and do something entirely different just for ten minutes; even if its to go water pot plants or make a cake mix or something. If you can watch a video that can help too. I can't knit and watch as such but it tends to deflect and add a sense of variety. Wait until you make a blanket or something! :)

stirsmommy
07-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I just finished a bag so I know what you mean. I have several projects going at a time so I just rotate them so I don't get bored. Now somethings I do just force myself through like the modified icord handles for the bag drove me nuts so I had to just sit through them to make it be done!

dustinac
07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
I usually will start something else to give me a break from the project... unless it is a gift I have to get done by a certain date...like Susan mentioned watching a video/tv can help...I also go outside and knit while watching the kids play and the time will go by faster too...:teehee:

giedre11
07-26-2007, 08:19 AM
A lot of times I'll do a small project at the same time, like say a dishcloth which usually knits up pretty fast and that will give me a sense of accomplishment and help break up the monotony.

GinnyG
07-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Like others, I usually alternate between boring and more challenging. I keep the boring stuff for doing in front of the TV when there is something on I want to watch or for car trips.

nik
07-26-2007, 09:42 AM
My one scarf is plain garter stitch in fingering weight yarn, so I'm doing 1" per night. It's usually a bit more but I plan to have it done in a month or two.

No the clapotis, I'm not sure yet. I could see maybe a rainy/snowy day with lots of movies and snacks. But it's 70 sunny, and July right now! :)

Ingrid
07-26-2007, 09:50 AM
If I'm home, I switch it up.

If I have a boring project that I really want to finish, I'll take it with me if I have to go somewhere that I can knit. Having only one project with you certainly forces you to work on it.

chrislt8
07-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I tend to have at least two project going at a time - one that has a "boring" secton (expance of stockinette on a sweater, etc) and one more challanging that I have to concentrate on. I have a "rule" that I have to knit at least 6 rows on the boring one every time I pick up my knitting - then switch to the other if I want to. I find I usually do more than 6 rows and over the course of time all of sudden the boring one is done :cheering:, the challanging one is still in process, and I cast on for the next "long term" project so I can keep alternating.

Knit Mom
07-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I start another project! I have only been knitting for about a month. But I get bored with large projects so I work on something small to get a sense of accomplishment. In the last month I have made 2 scarves, 2 hats and I am working on a bag and a sweater. I also think I am going to knit some squares for a charity project here in town.

Nichan
07-26-2007, 05:44 PM
:thumbsup:
i always do my project, all, sewing, knitting, making craft...anything (but cooking;))...one by one...
i thought that if i switch to another project, i would forget the first project...
i only make another project if i just feel sick enough to do the boring project...but i don't do it often...

if i started to get bored with my big long knitting, the stitches starts to fall off the needles:mrgreen:...i just stop it...

now, i'm doing short fingerless glove...

thanks for the sharing...feeling i'm not the only one is great...

ArtLady1981
07-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Ohhhhh...been there, done that!

I usually keep plugging away...because I feel like if I put it down...I will never pick it up again.

I have a WIP right now...number 5 in my signature...that is just that! I put it down...and just don't want to pick it up again.

It has two strikes against it:

1) the yarn is scratchy and unpleasant to handle
2) the pattern is boring...an endless repeat pattern of
"purl 5 / knit 2 / purl 5/ knit 2... on the wrong side....and
knit straight across the row on the right side...." :sleepy:

Yawwwnn. :sleepy: Oh excuse me! Did I nod off??? Sorry! :pout:
I get bored just thinkin' about it!

My advice: keep pluggin' away...especially if the yarn is worth it! :woohoo:

Quiltlady
07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
If my project is boring I usually have a second more challenging one going at the same time.:X::X: I knit back and forth between them and eventually they both get finished.:waving:

bhoran
07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
how do you eliminate the boring feeling?...
i'm making a big bag now...quite boring...
do you ever feel the same way too? and what do you do?
:X:
I JUST HANG IN THERE AND KEEP ON GOING.
I USUALLY HAVE A SIMPLE , MINDLESS PROJECT I AM
WORKING ON AT THE SAME TIME,SO I CAN FINISH IT
RATHER QUICKLY AND HAVE A SENSE OF SATISFACTION.
I ALTERNATE BORING AND LONG WITH SIMPLE AND
QUICK-LIKE A SCARF IN SEED STITCH FOR A
CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL.