PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU knit socks?

Braden
07-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Could ya' answer these questions? Yeah, I'm a bit nosy. I just like to know how other people do things. I knit mine toe up, on 2 circulars.

-Toe up or Cuff down?

-2 circulars, magic loop, or dpn's?

Jax3303
07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Toe up or Cuff down? ~i like both

2 circulars, magic loop, or dpn's? ~I used to be a die hard 2 circ gal, but not I'm really LOVING knitpicks DPN's instead.

Sharly
07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I've only done one pair, using Silver's Sock Class - cuff down on DPNs.

It's probably the exact same way I'll do my next pair ;)

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I used to use the standard top down pattern. Most times on dpns, couple times using two circs. The latest pair is being knit from the toe up with magic loop and I really like it.

Braden
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
2 circulars, I don't know, seems faster. I guess it's because I don't have to work through 4 joins, only 2. And, toe up, I like it because, say I want to knit a lace or cable panel in the front of a sock, it doesn't look upside down like it would if I knit the sock top down. Then everybody can see my work. Not that I would ever knit a lace panel in a sock for me, but I have knit cabled socks for myself before.

And, I always use a generic toe up pattern, with one of 3 heel patterns - short row, gusset, and slipstitch gusset. I'm really liking the slipstitch gusset right now, I guess because it looks like a top down sock, so nobody can ever tell.

tootie44
07-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Usually cuff down, but I am working on my first pair of toe up socks.

I knit both socks at once on 2 sets of DPNs.

Braden
07-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I did one pair where I knit 2 at the same time and it took longer than knitting them both seperatly. I hated all the fiddling with the yarn and switching between socks, it just took too long for my taste.

Chel
07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Top down because I can never get my cuff bind off loose enough.

Magic loop because it goes the fastest for me plus helps me avoid SSS by being able to do 2 socks at once.

Stiney
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
So far, cuff-down, DPN.

I want to try toe-ups, but I don't like two circs or magic loop enough to switch from DPNs. I really, really like DPNs.

Shandeh
07-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm just like Stiney. I prefer top down, with dpns.

I've tried the other methods, but didn't like either of them.

I guess I'm old-fashioned, because I like using metal dpns, and vintage patterns.

jeanius80
07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
i already have start-itis (start more than i finish) , so being able to do 2 at a time is key!
with dpns, i am too afraid they'll slip out (i have to frequently put down my knitting, quickly), 2 circs are ok, but the hanging needles sometimes bug me. i looove magic loop! i like toe up, because then i have a better idea of how long i can make my cuffs before i run out of yarn. KP circs are great for this b/c of the fabulous cable!

Knit Mom
07-26-2007, 02:35 PM
When I do my socks I will be using DPN's.

Jess_knit
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Generally, whatever the pattern calls for...but I like cuff down, DPNs best.

Miss Kittie
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
2 circs and toe up..
I like not having to do the dreaded other sock..toe-up so I can make them as long as I want..

rebecca
07-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Cuff down, 2 circs.

Braden
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I like toe up because you can make the leg as long as you want, and if you run out of yarn, you can just make the leg shorter. I used to use dpn's before I got Cat Bordhi's book Socks Soar on Circular needles. I knit a pair of socks before I realized that I could just use the 2 circ instructions for my regular toe up sock pattern.

pvsduck
07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I usually do cuff down on DPN's. I have made one pair of cuff down, two at once on two circulars. Didn't like it although they turned out fine. Seemed slow. One at a time cuff down on two circulars is fine.

I started a pair toe up once, but wasn't happy with the increases I was making at the toe. Need to give that another try.

For now, my preference is 5 DPN's and cuff down. But I've only been knitting a year and I'm still learning!

mrs desert rain
07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
cuff down, magic loop. i like DPNs, too, but magic loop is faster (for me)!

G J
07-26-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm currently working on my second sock. Toe up using Turkish cast on, Magic loop. Still not sure about what heel I'll use on this sock. There are small holes on the first one. Any advice?

Mirl56
07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I prefer 2 at a time on 2 circs, top down. I've done toe up once. I may try it again if I have a pattern written that way that I want.

I haven't taken the time to figure out magic loop. I'd like to learn it, but I like doing 2 at a time and I'd need to buy new, longer needles to accomodate 2 at a time/magic loop. Since I'd rather buy yarn, I don't think I'll be gettting new needles any time soon.

Marilyn

LadyB
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I like both toe-up and cuff-down. When I do toe-up, I like to work the toe using the magic loop method, then switch to dpns. On cuff down, I prefer only dpns.

PugMom
07-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I do two at once, toe up, on two circular needles. I know this way takes longer for me than if I did one at a time on DPN, but it helps me avoid SSS and it keeps the socks exactly the same, so I'm fine with spending an extra bit of time overall to ensure they're the same length and that they actually get done!

Jill A.
07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I knit with 2 circulars. When I was trying to learn to knit socks, I tried bamboo needles, but since I really hate all bamboo needles, I wasn't successful. I tried knitting the socks with the KnitPicks, but they were a little too slippery for a first time sock. I knit cuff down.

Now that I have a few socks under my belt, I think I could go back to the metal needles, but I am happy with circulars. I like being able to just stuff the sock back in my bag without worrying that I will lose stitches.

dustinac
07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
I tend to make mine cuff down.... I plan to try another toe up sock (enterlac socks are my only toe up's finished)... I also like dpns when I used the magic loop it slowed me down or something... when I use dpns I don't stop...with magic loop I had to keep stopping to slide stuff... I prolly should give it another try as well...

Braden
07-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Since I take a sock to school every day, I like 2 circulars because of the flexibility and they don't poke through my bag.

Greys4me
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I prefer cuff-down on DPN's.

redheadrachel
07-26-2007, 05:55 PM
I love doing top down on dpns. I've never done them toe-up so I can't compare, but I have done a lot of Magic Loop work, and I am sooo amazed how much I love using dpns! They were so intimidating, but I'm in love. :inlove: Socks are my favorite knitting projects!

Braden
07-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I think I'll add a poll to this thread, it'll be interesting to see how the results run.

Eloewien
07-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Question- is there any reason that a pattern with a heel flap couldn't be changed to short row heels?

syndactylus
07-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I just did a pair toe-up on dpns with the magic figure 8 cast on and that is now definitely my favorite type today.

but I liked the ones I did cuff down on dpns too, the heel was really cool.

not a fan of the loopiness.

I guess it would depend on what the pattern said (unless I made it up - that's my next plot) and how rebellious I was feeling about that.

Lobug
07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I love my dpn's. I do both cuff down and toe up; but think I prefer toe up b/c I don't like the end seaming. :)
Eloiwien, I do most of my socks w/ short row heels. I would think it would be easy to convert the pattern.

Knitting_Guy
07-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I answered cuff down ML because that's what I've been doing but I plan to try two toe up ML soon.

mulene
07-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Cuff down on two circs is what I do at the moment. I want to do toe up on ML one circ at some point and even TWO at once toe up on one circ =D

Vendie
07-26-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm ambisockterous. I'll knit them any way I can :teehee: (except two at a time, b/c I get too confused too easily :shifty:)

BUT, I prefer toe-up most of the time, as I find they fit my feet better. And I like to freak the muggles out with my dpns. :rofl:

jeanius80
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
:passedout: vendie, i have to take a looooong break after hopping over to your blog and being overstimulated by all your delicious sock yarn! :inlove:

everything is so pretty! specially that whole bowl of STR :drool:

Braden
07-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow, it's great to see how different people do different things.

JGM
07-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Thus far I've knit most of my socks cuff down on DPNs, I did one sock toe up on two circs, but it's since been frogged (didn't like the sock). I hope to try that way again as I think it's easier to try it on as you go and not run out of yarn before it's complete, a problem I'm currently having. I just need to order some smaller gauge needles from KnitPicks, excuses, excuses! :teehee:

Robinknits
07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I learned cuff-down on DPN's. But I just ordered needles to try the 2 cirs method. I'm always up for trying something new!

1to1
07-27-2007, 01:51 PM
2 @ a time on 2 circulars (24" Addi Turbos) toe-up with Figure 8 Cast on and EZ Sewn Cast Off don't have a favorite heel yet.

I learned to make socks with :notworthy:Silvers Tutorial :notworthy: doing ML.:woot:

I like ML but I hate to have to buy all new 40" Addi Turbos in different sizes since I already have doubles (thanks to DD set) in 24".;)

cheesiesmom
07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
I've done 10 pairs of socks cuff down on 5 dpns; 1 completed and 1 pair in progress, cuff down on 2 circs; and 1 pair on dpns toe up. I prefer cuff down and like both the dpns and the circs. I like the heel flap and have gotten pretty good at picking up the stitches w/o holes at the gusset. But I still want to do 2 at once on 2 circs. I wasn't too keen on toe up, but I wasn't sure how far my yarn was going to go so it was a good experiment/learning experience. I don't like the short row heel and toe, but loved the crochet cast on.

cheesiesmom
07-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Make that 11 pairs cuff down on dpns; I gave one pair (not counting the swap) away.

Silver
07-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I'll knit them in any of the ways in the poll, but my favorite, preferred method is toe up on 2 circs.

Mulderknitter
07-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I've only made a few socks, but I really like the dpn set from knit picks. they really aren't as slippy as you think once you get the hang of it. I like cuff down because i can stick it on while still otn to see if I got the ribbing/circumference right.