PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sell on Etsy?

heather_dw
07-26-2007, 07:45 PM
I just made an Etsy account because I want to post a few items at some point. (soaps, knitted things, candles, etc etc)

Is it worth it? Do people actually buy knitted items??
I am not looking to be rich but at some point, I'm going to need to support my yarn habit XD

Riss
07-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, I can't say that i've bought anything yet. But if I had the money, which I may in the comming month or so, I'd buy something if it was quirky and cute.

I have a ton of yarn in my favorites... just waiting to be bought though... :D

I'd say go for it. You never know until you try. :)

Whats the link to your shop? :D

heather_dw
07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I've got some ideas for small things, as well as a few medium and bigger things. It does cost a little to list your items, but I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?

Of course this is for down the road a bit, so we'll see :-)

Silver
07-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I have sold on Etsy before, and bought a few things. It's worth a try at least. The good thing about Etsy is that it's all handmade stuff so the shoppers are there for the handmade goods, not necessarily a bargain like on Ebay.

feministmama
07-26-2007, 10:57 PM
If you sell hand dye yarn to sell, where do you get the yarn from?:??

heather_dw
07-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Silver: Good point!
Femininistmama: Not a clue! I've never dyed my own yarn :-)

skye4
07-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I HAVE JUST SOLD ON ESTY .HAND KNITTED CUPCAKES.

heather_dw
07-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I HAVE JUST SOLD ON ESTY .HAND KNITTED CUPCAKES.

Aww, Congratulations!

temergency
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I luuuuuvvvv etsy! I'm strictly a buyer and use it much more than ebay because you can talk with sellers, get to know them and they do custom orders.....:notworthy:

skye4
07-27-2007, 09:58 AM
hope i have more sale on esty to!!

marykz
07-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I love etsy as a buyer- I enjoy finding adorable hand made goods for gifts. and, as someone who understands what goes into making hand made goods, I'm not expecting wal-mart prices.

Key things I look for are: unusual items, full and clear descriptions (dimensions, materials, care instructions), good pictures. also clear indications of shipping estimates (time and costs)

Personally, I'm not looking for handtowels or scarves (easy, standard items)- but I might buy an unusual sweater, cool handbag, or interesting pattern.

HTH, MKZ

hummingbird
07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I sell on Etsy. I've had a shop since January. I've been buying more than I sell though, so I'm hoping it will pick up.

millyandnans
07-27-2007, 02:25 PM
I have a shop (http://www.millyandnans.etsy.com) AND shop there. I've purchased a knit bag and knitted jewelry, and I make yarn jewelry and accessories.

I just started earlier this month, and I'll see how it goes eventually. I have big hopes, but I've got to make more items and keep working.

Basically I've learned one cannot be casual about it and be successful. It has to be your dream and you must treat it like a 2nd job. In order to sell a lot, they say to list about 2 items a day. I'm not doing that yet, this past week I haven't been well, then the "heat wave" came, a time I never do anything - ha. Plus the forums on Etsy (you're suggested to use to get the word out - but it hasn't gotten me buyers yet, although I find shops to buy from - sigh) are soooooooo addicting, you end up not working at all.

I am just waiting for the heat to end, and I already have two finished items to photograph, but it's too hot in the light - ha ha.

Good luck - and I hope you enjoy Etsy!

millyandnans
07-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Here is the dyeable yarn I've found:

http://www.knotanotherhat.com/productGroup.cfm?subcategory_id=84

Here they don't have products to buy yet, but it's coming soon:
http://www.louet.com/
Looks expensive based on the link that lead me to it, but I think they'll have a good selection.

I haven't found nylon..

You can also get roving and dye it, then spin it, or spin it then paint it, etc.

I REALLY want to start hand painting yarn! Great variegation that way.

heather_dw
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM
When I get ready to sell, I want to have a stash of items. I already have a few items I could sell, but I want to have a bit of a stock first, you know? Plus I already have homemade candles and soaps that I sold on my website, but the host that was responsible for my domain name messed up the DNS entries which makes it not work. I've been trying to contact them for 2 days with no luck. In the meantime I guess I could use etsy for my candles and soaps, but the main point of it was to use it for my other handcrafted items (beaded stuff, knitting, etc etc)

heather_dw
07-27-2007, 09:54 PM
OK, I listed some non knitting things on Etsy. I really like their tools and it was easy to set up!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5234463
How does it look?

Riss
07-27-2007, 11:35 PM
If only they made monitors with "smell-o-vision"... :D

Looks great... I'll add you to my favorites so when I get working again (only another month or so!) I'll come check you out. I love candles... I'm eyeing up the strawberry cheesecake :D

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 01:25 AM
:heart:THANK YOU!!! :heart:
I had never ever heard of ETSY til tonight! TOO WAY COOL!

feministmama
07-28-2007, 01:56 AM
So you can buy undyed yarn from a compnay then hand dye it (painted yarn, etc) and then turn around and sell it on esty?

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 02:48 AM
OK, I listed some non knitting things on Etsy. I really like their tools and it was easy to set up!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5234463
How does it look?

Hi! :waving: It looks very professional! I like the green gingham and sunflowers added to the display! Nice touch! Good luck!

jeanius80
07-28-2007, 02:56 AM
yes! you can just buy and dye and sell it. i think(ethicly for me anyhow) that you should get a business license and then you could even buy yarn wholesale. this is something i have been thinking of, but there are soooo many indie dyers, that i am not sure it wold be a good financial idea :l

rorygilmore
07-28-2007, 09:08 AM
I've sold a few of my handdyed yarns and some skeins of destash of etsy. I buy my bare yarn from KnitPicks, thats the only place I know where to get it.

ekgheiy
07-31-2007, 10:11 AM
This is all quite interesting...

I wonder if I should give it a shot. :think::think: I'm just worried about billing; Paypal seems so damn complicated to me. :oops:

ekgheiy
08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
BUMP ...

How is everyone's Etsy ventures going?? I'm interested to know. :think:

ctmax
09-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I just found Etsy and :heart: it. I think I prefer Etsy for roving than Ebay.

karne
09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
You can get great yarn prepared for dye-ing at dharma trading.

I have an etsy shop too, just started about a month ago. It's not like I don't already have an incredibly full life, but I've been wanting to do it for quite a while and it's kind of fun. URL in my sig tag :)

jeanius80
09-23-2007, 02:39 PM
i just prepared my own etsy shop :) i have some BFL sock yarn on order... can't wait to get it so i can dye it up! *swoon*

Jenn_Knitter
09-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I think Etsy is a great site, but here's the only reason I won't open a shop there - it's most frequently viewed by crafty people. Most of us who know how to knit a hat ourselves are not going to pay $30 for a hat someone else knitted. There are so many people who have Etsy shops dedicated to knit and crocheted items, handbags and beaded jewelry that most people who sell such items don't make much money at it. Usually it's the people who have something really unqiue to sell that make the money. My best advice would be to promote your Etsy shop to those outside of crafting circles because they are going to be less inclined to pass up your wares because they feel they could make them themselves.

It is a good avenue, however, for people who want others to truly appreciate their craftwork just be sure to promote the heck out of it. Best of luck to everyone with their Etsy shops. :)

ekgheiy
09-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I think Etsy is a great site, but here's the only reason I won't open a shop there - it's most frequently viewed by crafty people. Most of us who know how to knit a hat ourselves are not going to pay $30 for a hat someone else knitted. .....You completely raise a valid point, one that occurred me when I heard of Etsy too. But then I thought, "Meh - they only charge you $0.20 to list". So while I gave Etsy the 'ol college try, I will likely never post anything else there, for your exact point.

rorygilmore
09-25-2007, 11:59 AM
etsy has been slow for me. Hopefully once I get my order of bare yarn dyed and listed it will pick up! I've only sold 5 items this month but 3 of the items don't really count because I played the buy and replace games on the Promos forum. So I didn't make any money off those 3 items i did sell.

shenevski
09-29-2009, 05:10 AM
I opened my Etsy shop -
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7622270 with knitted and crocheted clothes. No sale so far. It seems difficult to be noticed.

ArtLady1981
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I opened my Etsy shop -
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7622270 with knitted and crocheted clothes. No sale so far. It seems difficult to be noticed.

Your model is very beautiful! And the knitted items offered in your ETSY shop are just magnificent! With prices that seem incredibly LOW! Your asking prices don't even seem to cover the cost of the yarn in US terms, that is!

Best wishes with your Etsy shop! Your knitting is astoundingly wonderful! :thumbsup:

Yes, it is all about 'being noticed' and 'seen'! That's why Advertising Companies get paid in the millions! :teehee: It's not how good you are, it's how well you are thought to be in the minds of millions!

Another idea for you: sell your knitted items directly, person-to-person, at local venues. And in consignment shops.

And one final thought: if your knitted items are not your personal original designs (I might have missed it in your Etsy shop, sorry)...be sure you have the designer's permission to sell her design as a finished product. Especially when you are using the internet to do so.

The EYES of designers are everywhere, and they have special search techniques to find out what's being done with, and said about, their designs. You don't need trouble with designers.

jamiejeans
09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm replying before reading everyone else's response so I apologize for any duplication.

I've got a shop on etsy that has done ok. I find etsy to be very competitive and the forums snarky, but you need to socialize on the site to be seen. I've been on almost a year and have had about 20 or so sales.

If you have something unique to offer, good pics showcasing your work, transparent shipping prices/policies, you should be ok. And like you said, don't expect to be rich!

tigersagg
10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
I opened my Etsy shop -

Wow, your work is amazing! How are you able to keep your prices so low?? With those prices, I know you'll have sales in no time! :D

Fiestaknitter
10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I have bought yarn from ebay that comes in large quantities on big rolls that is undyed and you can dye it. If you have not tried it, it is a lot of fun and not that hard!

Janetsar
10-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Hello there ... I'm new today (from the UK):muah: and saw this thread straight away.
I joined Etsy in the belief that they would be a good market place for my handknitted dolls. After just 2 months, I have decided not to continue. I have been selling my dolls very successfully on Ebay for some time, including US and Canada, but have had no interest on Etsy at all. I've monitored it very closely, but I think it's a little elitist and quite expensive. I have noticed that the most popular items are jewellry. I think with Xmas coming up, I'll stick with Ebay.

Looking forward to browsing this site and contacting other knitters.
Janetsar

melmac51
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello there ... I'm new today (from the UK):muah: and saw this thread straight away.
I joined Etsy in the belief that they would be a good market place for my handknitted dolls. After just 2 months, I have decided not to continue. I have been selling my dolls very successfully on Ebay for some time, including US and Canada, but have had no interest on Etsy at all. I've monitored it very closely, but I think it's a little elitist and quite expensive. I have noticed that the most popular items are jewellry. I think with Xmas coming up, I'll stick with Ebay.

Looking forward to browsing this site and contacting other knitters.
Janetsar

Welcome to the Forum! It's a very friendly place. :grphug: