PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a Xmas gift for my mom

jenjenfirenjen
07-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm a relative newbie but I'm giving myself plenty of time so I can make my mom something nice for Christmas. She got my 1st ever project last year, a simple garter stitch scarf. But she lives in Houston which is hot as Hades so she really doesn't need any more scarves. She loves pink so I was thinking a nice lightweight sweater or cardigan. I know boxy would probably be easiest but she has a large frame so it wouldn't look very nice on her. She needs something more fitted (but not so complicated that I would never be able to finish it...I am a sloooooow knitter.)

So any ideas/pattern suggestions???

There is a pretty wrap cardigan I saw in SnB Nation but I haven't really studied the pattern to see if I can handle it.

One more thing...her passion in photography. She is working on turning professional so if anyone thought of anything I can knit her related to photography, that would be great as well.

Thanks for helping out a newbie :)

stirsmommy
07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi
My mom is in Houston too. I am making felted clogs for her. I will probably try and easy shawl as well like the knitpicks feather fan. For my sister in Houston I will be doing a felted bag. I don't think I am quite up to making everyone sweaters yet. It would have to be perfect for my mom to wear it and I am so not there. I hope others have even better ideas so I can steal some too.

G J
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I live in Houston and wear sweaters. It DOES get coldish here in the winter, and the rest of the year, everything is ubber air conditioned, so something to throw on and take off is great. Socks in the winter are great. I wear lots of clogs and slip-on shoes, so I love good socks. I also wear slippers in the winter, so that idea is a good one, too. Hope these ideas help! BUt I'm sure whatever you make, your Mom will LOVE!:heart:

jenjenfirenjen
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks girls for the ideas. I think I found something...

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTlucie.html

Now I just have to find a good yarn for it. The handpainted silk/wool blend called for in the pattern is waaaaay too expensive.

TxCynDoll
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks girls for the ideas. I think I found something...

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTlucie.html

Now I just have to find a good yarn for it. The handpainted silk/wool blend called for in the pattern is waaaaay too expensive.

That is really a pretty sweather...I like that for myself...so maybe we can fine a sub for that yarn...if you do, let me know and I will let you know If I do...going on a search now...:knitting: