PDA

View Full Version : Custom Stitch Markers!

Pages : [1] 2

ArtLady1981
07-27-2007, 06:11 PM
NOTE: I bumped this thread by request.

Hi'ya! :waving:

I purchased 4 sets of 10 stitch markers from my LYS several years ago. I was hooked. What is nice about stitch markers with a pretty little bead(s) hanging from the silver ring? The weight of the beads helps keep the stitch marker from "flicking off" the needle and flying across the room...never to be found again.

I wanted more styles and colors! Could not afford more.:pout:

I was at my local South Sound Knitters Guild meeting...we have a "show and tell" segment...so I brought the stitch markers...and my helpful fellow knitters said "oh no...you bought them? Didn't you know that you can make them very easily? Go to the Blue Iris Bead shop and buy the beads, findings, etc...and make your own! It is so easy. The bead shop people will show you the concepts. Just bring in one of your stitch markers as an example!"

Well, who knew!?:shrug:

So, that is what I did!

Here are some photos of some of the sets I made for myself since then!

I just love them all! Some rings fit the smaller size needles, others fit up to size 10 needles. I haven't found soldered silver jumprings to fit the extra large needles...so I have to use plastic for bulky projects.

I recently took apart an old crystal bead necklace (very old, the thing was really ugly...didn't fit me anymore...but sentimentality prevented me from tossing it out). I have nine stitch markers made up on the headpins...I just need to go down to the bead shop and get the silver jumprings!

I think very unusual stitch markers could be made out of disassembled vintage jewelry. Shop around for old jewelry...that you wouldn't wear...but could make great stitch markers!

I hope you will enjoy these photos...and maybe find some inspiration to make some stitch markers yourself!
(NOTE: page 4/post#38 of this thread has a photo tutorial for the making of a stitch marker)
Made two of these handblown glass beads. A bead shop in Poulsbo only had two left. Both beads are on this same row, on either side of the center 20 stitch cable pattern! Love them! :heart: They are very lightweight, too!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2380.jpg

Found these 6 glass beads at a local bead shop in Poulsbo! All the shop had was six. Darn. Just made these today!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2386.jpg

I made a set of 10 of these, all are a different color: blues, lavendars, pinks, greens. The other 9 are on a project right now!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1238.jpg

These are Swarovski crystals. I just love these little babies!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2390.jpg

I use this one to mark the middle of a row. There is only one of these.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2393.jpg

These are ceramic. There is a set of 10 of each...but some are on projects right now. I think they look like little Japanese lanterns!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2394.jpg

I got these jade beads at a big swapmeet, from a man that sells polished rocks, etc. of all kinds!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2400.jpg

These are Swarovkski crystals. There are 10, but one is on a project right now.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2402.jpg

angel4ever
07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Those stitchmarkers are all very pretty. You have a good eye for style combinations. :yay:
I had thought about making my own stitch markers as well. But I have such little time, I have not gotten around to making any. Maybe one day soon...

Limey
07-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Try here:

http://www.countonknit.com/begin/

ArtLady1981
07-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Try here:

http://www.countonknit.com/begin/

Hi'ya Limey! :waving:

Thanks for the interesting link! Very unusual concept for stitch markers!

I will have to see if my local bead shop has any of the horseshoe-shaped "open rings"! If they do...I will pick some up and give 'em a try!

Jan in CA
07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
These are gorgeous! I don't know how you get that wrap so tight! :??

LibraryLady
07-27-2007, 06:53 PM
ahem... :psst:

If you's gonna get hooked on beads 'n things, I guess I'd better not tell you 'bout Shipwreck Beads (http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/), self proclaimed largest bead selection in the world, it's 'bout an hour south of you/me. (depending on traffic) I-5 take the Marvin Road exit (first one after you come up out of the Nisqually Flats)

It's a vewy vewy dangerous place. :whistle:

I has ta take da next exit when visitin' my gf - udderwise I get suuuuucked in there! :out:

But I'm not gonna tell ya, nope, hunh unh, not gonna do dat! :fingerwag: Wouldn't want ta have a fellow KH'er infected by dat place! :eyes:

:roflhard:

ETA: gorgeous work, btw, I love it!

LL

misstialouise
07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Lovely!

Welcome to the addiction that is stitch markers... I've made about 20 sets, most of which have sold to friends for swaps or for their own use. I'm thinking of starting a line and selling them through Etsy and my LYS.

Mulderknitter
07-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Wow artlady! congrats to you for your unending creativity! I swear every time u post it is always something new and fantastic!
I have been to stores and thought about the making stitch marker thing, the question I have is where do u find the ring part that u attatch to the beads? I was never able to figure that out:hair:

Ingrid
07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Those are gorgeous!

clb1968
07-27-2007, 08:26 PM
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notwo rthy:

Those all look great.

REVS
07-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Oh, Artlady! :inlove: your work!

Yes, I wanted some pretty jewelery for my knitting too. And I got stung seriously by the stitchmarker beading bug just this April... :oops:
I'll have to post you a picture later of some of the stuff.

However, if you're looking for more supplies (soldered jump rings, beads, etc), Fusion Beads (http://www.fusionbeads.com) is a store in Seattle and they also sell online with no shipping fees(!). They have ALL SORTS of stuff...

Samsam
07-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Beautiful!:heart:

angel4ever
07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't know if you have ever heard of the Oriental Trading Company, but they sell tons of stationary, school, and craft supplies. They have an entire section jusst for beading. The prices seem to be pretty good.

www.orientaltrading.com. Click the craft & hobbies section to get to the Simply Beads section.

Knitting_Guy
07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Very nice :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 12:19 AM
These are gorgeous! I don't know how you get that wrap so tight! :??

Hi'ya Jan! :waving:

Some of my earlier creations were really a bust. I did and re-did the "wraps". I finally got the hang of it just recently!:shrug:

I use 3" Sterling Silver thin/fine gauge head pins...they wrap like butter. The heavier gauge metal head pins are a beast to work with for stitch markers.

Thanks for your compliments everyone! :hug:

I had to go down to the Blue Iris Bead shop tonight to get those soldered silver jumprings...and got some more headpins while I was there. I have had 18 beads I've been meaning to get to...so...I was in the mood today.

Here are the vintage crystal beads that were a necklace I have had for at least 45 years. I remember wearing this necklace to a Coronation Ball at O'Dea High School with my DH back in 1962! (I was a baby, of course! :wink: )
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2406.jpg

Here is the full set of 10 Swarovski crystal squares markers.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2416.jpg

Here is a set of 8 large blue porcelain beads...they complete the "set" I posted earlier. http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2419.jpg

Here is a set of 10 red glass beads that I did up today.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2417.jpg

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Oh, Artlady! :inlove: your work!

Yes, I wanted some pretty jewelery for my knitting too. And I got stung seriously by the stitchmarker beading bug just this April... :oops:
I'll have to post you a picture later of some of the stuff.

However, if you're looking for more supplies (soldered jump rings, beads, etc), Fusion Beads (http://www.fusionbeads.com) is a store in Seattle and they also sell online with no shipping fees(!). They have ALL SORTS of stuff...

Hi'ya REVS! :waving:

Thanks so much for the link to Fusion!

I will eagerly await your photos! I love to see other's work!
Thanks again!

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
ahem... :psst:

If you's gonna get hooked on beads 'n things, I guess I'd better not tell you 'bout Shipwreck Beads (http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/), self proclaimed largest bead selection in the world, it's 'bout an hour south of you/me. (depending on traffic) I-5 take the Marvin Road exit (first one after you come up out of the Nisqually Flats)

It's a vewy vewy dangerous place. :whistle:

I has ta take da next exit when visitin' my gf - udderwise I get suuuuucked in there! :out:

But I'm not gonna tell ya, nope, hunh unh, not gonna do dat! :fingerwag: Wouldn't want ta have a fellow KH'er infected by dat place! :eyes:

ETA: gorgeous work, btw, I love it!

LL

Hi'ya LibraryLady! :waving:

Oh, I know all about Shipwreck Beads, although I have managed to stay out of there so far! My DD is pestering me to take a trip with her down there! She lives in Tacoma. She wants to take jewelry classes! I saw it from the off-ramp two Saturdays ago. I had to do an art show down in Olympia...and that was me exit...only I turned Right onto Marvin instead of Left...which is the direction of Shipwreck! Soooo close. :pout: Phew!

I have this Saturday off...no art shows booked....and I tried to call her today to see if she wants to go there with me tomorrow. Her DH can watch the two little girls for us!

Oh yikes. If she can....I may be in trouble! :wink:

As it is...Blue Iris Beads is located about 4 blocks from my house. Now THAT IS DANGEROUS! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Lovely!

Welcome to the addiction that is stitch markers... I've made about 20 sets, most of which have sold to friends for swaps or for their own use. I'm thinking of starting a line and selling them through Etsy and my LYS.

Hi Misstialouise! :waving:

Let me know how you do...selling through Etsy (what is that?) and your LYS!

My LYS sold their stitch markers for about $50 per set of 10 back 4 years ago. Yipes. They were made of silver findings and crystals. Kinda spendy...but I treated myself to a few sets I must confess.

Making them can be spendy, too...for crystals, etc. It is nice to get hold of vintage beads. It cuts down on costs.

However, I spent $64 tonight at the Blue Iris, just for 40 silver head pins and 40 silver jumprings. Yipes. Didn't get one new bead, although I did look! :eyebrow: I had too many beads at home, that have been "on hold" for a year.

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Wow artlady! congrats to you for your unending creativity! I swear every time u post it is always something new and fantastic!
I have been to stores and thought about the making stitch marker thing, the question I have is where do u find the ring part that u attatch to the beads? I was never able to figure that out:hair:

Hi Mulder! :waving:

Do you mean the actual silver ring that slides onto the needle? If so, they call that a "jumpring". I buy the "soldered" jumprings...and I prefer sterling silver. There are two sizes of jumprings that will fit perfectly onto knitting needles sizes 0-10.

There are larger jumprings (saw them tonight at the Blue Iris) that would fit US11 and up...but they have some carving/detailing on them and they cost $5 per ring! Choke! I don't think so! I will continue to use the big turquoise-blue plastic stitch markers for my bigger needles. :thumbsup:

Limey
07-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Misstialouise wrote:

I'm glad that you enjoy making stitch markers- it would be interesting to know if you ever got around to trying out the free set of Countonknit stitch markers I sent you - the ones you received 12 months ago from me, on the understanding that you would review them and get back to me.

KnittingNat
07-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Wow, that's such a beautiful work!!! Gorgeous!

GiddyKnitter
07-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Those are lovely much nicer than the the shop bought ones!The would make lovely gifts I know I would be thrilled to recieve them.

redheadrachel
07-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Oh my goodness, I absolutely love them!!! I have to admit though, my second thought upon seeing them (after, Oh my goodness, I absolutely love them!!!) was Oh, I'm not creative. I could never do anything like that. But if I'm not creative, then how am I doing all this knitting? :shrug:
I think I may just be inspired to branch out in the crafting world!!!!! Great job, dear :muah: What an inspiration!

chrislt8
07-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh my goodness, those are just lovely :passedout:

I've thought about making some stitch markers and have actually gone to the craft store and looked at the supplies - but I am just lost, can't figure out the "how to" or what supplies/tools I need :roflhard:

This may just be the inspiration I need to seriously give it a go!

wildforyarn
07-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, those are simply gorgeous! You did such a great job. I would think about selling them on Etsy if I were you. You could have a really good business going with those. They are so pretty. Nicer than many I have seen lately!

SusanMarie1956
07-28-2007, 10:35 AM
ArtLady,

I make them also. I have sonme plain light eweight ones on E-Bay.

Some are a copper color metals and other are gold.

Susan

SusanMarie1956
07-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Here are my stitch markers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Light-Weight-Knitting-Stitch-Markers_W0QQitemZ150144988208QQihZ005QQcategoryZ13 62QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AND

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Large-Light-Weight-Silver-Colored-Stitch-Markers_W0QQitemZ150144997708QQihZ005QQcategoryZ13 62QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Susan

larudden
07-28-2007, 11:17 AM
For larger rings, try using bracelet toggle clasps. The larger ones have a good sized hole which is great for larger needles!

I KNOW someone on this forum uses them as well. Maybe she'll see this and post her pictures again.

Awesome markers!

larudden
07-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Oh, forgot to ask: What is the largest size bead that you like to use for your markers? Check your PMs and you'll know why.........................

Limey
07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi SusanMarie

I've just had a look at your stitch markers on e-bay and I think it's a great idea to be able to remove markers, from the knitted fabric or the needle, as you work.

Most people who make stitch markers sell them in sets of four and that's nowhere near enough (if you cannot remove them) - even for a child's cardigan.

All the Best

robynbird
07-28-2007, 02:07 PM
What size jump rings fit the 0-10 needles?

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Misstialouise wrote:

I'm glad that you enjoy making stitch markers- it would be interesting to know if you ever got around to trying out the free set of Countonknit stitch markers I sent you - the ones you received 12 months ago from me, on the understanding that you would review them and get back to me.

Huh? :shrug: You sent ME a set of free Countonknit stitch markers 12 months ago??? Are you sure it was ME that you sent these to? :shrug:

I don't remember giving my address to anyone this past year except to one girl who sent me a bit of yarn sample she was using. It was a bit of merino wool...and she wanted me to feel the quality of it because I had posted a grumble about the "merino style" wool that I had the misfortune of ordering from KnitPicks...not realizing that "100% merino style" wool is NOT THE SAME as the real deal.

I can tell you...if anyone were gracious enough to send me a sample of stitch markers...I would definitely show my appreciation by USING THEM and posting a nice review of them as well!! :hug:

I am very organized...being in business for myself for 27 years....a free set of stitch markers would NOT go through the cracks!

I don't think it was me you sent them to but wish I had been!! :eyebrow:

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 04:46 PM
What size jump rings fit the 0-10 needles?

You need two sizes of jumprings. One size fits 0-6 nicely...and the size bigger fits 7-10.5 nicely. Of course, the larger size would work for all...but...I don't like my rings to engulf the stitches on the left or right of it...so a smaller jumpring is best for use on the little needles like 0-5 especially.

The jumpring that fits up to a size US10.5 is the 10mm.
The jumpring that fits 0-6 nicely is 8mm.

The 10mm jumpring WILL NOT slide onto a US11 at all.

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh my goodness, those are just lovely :passedout:

I've thought about making some stitch markers and have actually gone to the craft store and looked at the supplies - but I am just lost, can't figure out the "how to" or what supplies/tools I need :roflhard:

This may just be the inspiration I need to seriously give it a go!

Hi Chris! :waving: Thanks for your compliments.

I was thinking about using my digital camera (which can be set on "timer" photo shots) to take photos of the step-by-step process of making the stitch markers. I think I can get it down to where it would make sense. Also, there are just 3 tools which are a must: I call them:
1) the bender
2) the holder
3) the snipper

Other than that, for the makings of the stitch markers themselves you need:
1) the jumpring
2) the headpin
3) the beads

It is 2 pm Pacific Time. Maybe I will give some of this photography a try now. I have to get my portfolio ready for a show tomorrow afternoon, but it is halfway there.

LibraryLady
07-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi'ya LibraryLady! :waving:

Oh, I know all about Shipwreck Beads, although I have managed to stay out of there so far! My DD is pestering me to take a trip with her down there! She lives in Tacoma. She wants to take jewelry classes! I saw it from the off-ramp two Saturdays ago. I had to do an art show down in Olympia...and that was me exit...only I turned Right onto Marvin instead of Left...which is the direction of Shipwreck! Soooo close. :pout: Phew!

I have this Saturday off...no art shows booked....and I tried to call her today to see if she wants to go there with me tomorrow. Her DH can watch the two little girls for us!

Oh yikes. If she can....I may be in trouble! :wink:

As it is...Blue Iris Beads is located about 4 blocks from my house. Now THAT IS DANGEROUS! :teehee:

:flirt: Well, I'm soooo glad I didn't tell you then!

See how nice I am? I gave ya the website so you can plan your assault on the Shipwreck! :roflhard:

LL

chrislt8
07-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi Chris! :waving: Thanks for your compliments.

I was thinking about using my digital camera (which can be set on "timer" photo shots) to take photos of the step-by-step process of making the stitch markers. I think I can get it down to where it would make sense. Also, there are just 3 tools which are a must: I call them:
1) the bender
2) the holder
3) the snipper

Other than that, for the makings of the stitch markers themselves you need:
1) the jumpring
2) the headpin
3) the beads

It is 2 pm Pacific Time. Maybe I will give some of this photography a try now. I have to get my portfolio ready for a show tomorrow afternoon, but it is halfway there.
Oh my Artlady!! If you did that I, for one, would be so appreciative - I am seeing green :drool:at all these wonderful stitch markers and would love to try to make some...all the books, etc., I have seen re doing this are focused on jewelry and it is just so much to try to wade through for this one specific purposes.:woot:So, if you do decide to do this (and I am sure it would require quite a bit of time and effort on your part!) I promise to post pics of anything I do :woohoo:

willowangel
07-28-2007, 06:49 PM
I've just expanded my beading (my first love) to making stitch markers, which are hopefully going to be stocked by one of my LYSs, so here's hoping.... going to be selling some online as well - we have lots of ideas for themed ones ;-) Will keep you all updated ...

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi'ya! :waving:

Some of our fellow KH-ers have asked: what tools do I need to make a stitch marker....and how do I use these tools to make the stitch marker.

I made a stitch marker today, taking photos along the way.
Making the stitch marker is really a 4 step process:

1) load the headpin with your elements
2) create the "eye" in which to insert the jumpring
3) create a "neck coil/wrap" under the jumpring
4) snip off the excess headpin

As said earlier, 3 tools are A MUST. Don't sidestep any of these "beading tools" and use something in your husband's toolbox. They are not the same. They make look similar, but they aren't. Get your tools through a bead shop, or online through a bead shop.

The "elements" you need are whatever you want to load onto the headpin. If the head of the headpin is smaller than the hole of your first bead...slip a collar or small bead onto the headpin first...then your first "show bead" won't fall off the end of the headpin.

I like to use Sterling Silver "finest gauge" (as for pearls they call it) because this material is so malleable...and wrapping the "neck coil/wrap" is like working with butter. The "neck coil/wrap" is the trickiest part to get right. I made alot of duds before I got my groove going...if you look at some of my beads, you will see some that are not as nicely wrapped...but they will do!

So here are some photos. A couple of them are blurry, my apologies. I was trying to work with the stitch marker and take photos at the same time.

1) Your all important "Bender" Tool!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2421.jpg

2) Your Bender Tool, view 2
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2423.jpg

3) Your Gripper Tool, especially designed for jewelry bead work! (Not needle-nose pliers from DH toolbox!)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2424.jpg

4) Your Snipper Tool
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2425.jpg

5) The is the side view of your Snipper Tool. The "angle" is what enables you to snip off that excess headpin wire REAL CLOSE to the coil...thereby preventing a pokey-snaggy "tips" that will snag your yarn TO DEATH! :pout:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2426.jpg

6) I prefer using 3" sterling silver headpins, using the finest gauge. Don't skimp and use shorter headpins. It will make "wrapping" the neck coil much much harder. You won't have anything to hang onto! :shrug:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2427.jpg

7) The headpin and 10mm jumpring are ready!:eyebrow: (edited 8/7/07)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2431.jpg

8) Two sizes of jumprings: the 10mm fits up to size US10.5 needles...the 8mm fits US0-6 nicely. The gauge of the jumpring is 16 gauge. (edited 8/7/07)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2432.jpg

9) Here is the metal "collar" that will slide onto the headpin first, forming a foundation for the "show beads".
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2433.jpg

10) The little metal "collar", they call it a spacer, will prevent the first bead from falling off the small "head" of the headpin. This is because this wood bead was intended for something else. The hole is larger than the headpin. I could have used a "seed bead" just as well.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2434.jpg

11) The elements are loading...:woohoo:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2435.jpg

12) The elements are now loaded and ready for the jumpring attachment! :thumbsup:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2436.jpg

13) FIRMLY grasp the headpin with the Bender Tool, close to the elements, but not too close...I'd say about 3-4mm space.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2442.jpg

14) Bend/roll the headpin over the Bender Tool, creating a U shape first.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2443.jpg

15) Swoop the headpin around the Bender Tool, creating as round of an "eye" as you can muster.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2444.jpg

16) The Bender Tool removed, the "round eye" is now ready...it is not quite closed...it will still receive the jumpring. (sorry that this photo is blurry) :pout:http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2445.jpg

17) Slide the jumpring into the not-quite-closed "round eye".http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2446.jpg

18) The jumpring is inside the "round eye", awaiting the next step.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2448.jpg

19) FIRMLY grasp the top of the "round eye" with your Gripper Tool, do not grasp the jumpring...let it lay loose
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2449-1.jpg

20) With the "round eye" firmly gripped (using the Gripper Tool) in your right hand, use your left hand to begin a continuous "wrapping" around the neck. Wrap, wrap, wrap, wrap! This is when you will love the malleable qualities of silver VS the stubborness of the other hard metals! (sorry this photo is blurry):pout:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2450.jpg

21) The "neck coil/wrap" done!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2452.jpg

22) Snip off the excess as closely as possible. Pinch down any sharp edges with your "Gripper" tool.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2453.jpg

23) VOILA! DONE!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2455.jpg

mks22300
07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Your stitch markers are beautiful!

chrislt8
07-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh thank you Artlady, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have your instructions printed out and a trip to my local craft shop is definitely on the agenda for tomorrow. :woot:

This time I expect to actually come home with the "fixings"! :woot:

ArtLady1981
07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh thank you Artlady, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have your instructions printed out and a trip to my local craft shop is definitely on the agenda for tomorrow. :woot:

This time I expect to actually come home with the "fixings"! :woot:

:notworthy: You are very very welcome! Post photos of your first stitch marker!

And, if you need more help with any of the steps...let me know. That is why I "numbered" the photos...so you can inquire about a certain photo and what it means.

:muah:

angel4ever
07-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks so much for the info ArtLady. As I mentioned before I have been wanting to make my own stitch markers for a while, but have not had the time to venture into it.
Your information has inspired me to start shopping for the necessary tools and accessories.

~~Thanks again~~ :yay::hug:

Doodknitwit
07-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I have jumprings but they have a gap which if you squeeze too hard trying to close it it overlaps :wall: ...Is it the headpins you put thru the bead then wrap it around itself?

Love your markers:heart:

Doodknitwit
07-28-2007, 10:53 PM
i just read the great tutorial for making your markers..
i see i need to buy other jump :blooby: rings.....

ArtLady1981
07-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the compliments! I didn't think of it as a tutorial! But, if it actually helps folks take the steps towards a finished stitch marker, then I guess the old saying applies: "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it IS A DUCK!"

Glad to be of help, as many have been to me as well! :thumbsup:

Cia
07-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Wow artlady the stitch-markers are really really pretty...
Actually I didn't know such a thing as a stitch marker existed until a few days ago when I borrowed a book about shadow-knitting at the library. The thing is that my lys doesn't sell any sort of stitch-markers at all so I tried with safety-pins, which isn't to be recommended since they are way too bulky. In the end I did find something that worked rather well, chopped off pieces of drinking-straw, not very pretty but rather effective for 3 to 4 mm needles.
Now after seeing yours I'll definitly make some pretty ones!

ArtLady1981
07-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow artlady the stitch-markers are really really pretty...
Actually I didn't know such a thing as a stitch marker existed until a few days ago when I borrowed a book about shadow-knitting at the library. The thing is that my lys doesn't sell any sort of stitch-markers at all so I tried with safety-pins, which isn't to be recommended since they are way too bulky. In the end I did find something that worked rather well, chopped off pieces of drinking-straw, not very pretty but rather effective for 3 to 4 mm needles.
Now after seeing yours I'll definitly make some pretty ones!

Another thing I used for stitch markers (got the idea from another forum) YARN STITCH MARKERS! Let's say you are knitting with 4mm needles. Take a 6mm needles to use as a template, and a tie contrasting yarn bit around the needle to make a "yarn stitch marker". Cinch the knot tightly, clip off the excess yarn, and I even put a drop of "Fray Check" on each little knot. Slide each stitch marker off the needle as you create them..and Voila! you have as many stitch markers as you need! I even saved mine homemade yarn markers! They are cute little buggers! And they worked great! Quiet, too!

DQ
07-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Misstialouise wrote:

Really? Let me know if you do sell in your LYS...you might have a customer...

chrislt8
07-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Well - I went to Michael's to get the bits and pieces. Even though at first glance it looks like they have a lot, I wasn't very successful - largest size closed jump rings were 6mm (guess I could use them for size 3 needles and down (maybe)?). Longest head pins were 2"....guess that's okay with smaller beads...I'm going to look on-line for the supplies in the right sizes. Did take a stab at making one, pretty funky wrapping :roflhard: but it is a start. Once I get a couple made I'll take some pics.

cindycactus
07-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Thank you Artlady. I now think I can make my own stitch markers. You made it so clear. Now if I can find a store near me with the makings!!!:woot:How kind of you to help us all.

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Well - I went to Michael's to get the bits and pieces. Even though at first glance it looks like they have a lot, I wasn't very successful - largest size closed jump rings were 6mm (guess I could use them for size 3 needles and down (maybe)?). Longest head pins were 2"....guess that's okay with smaller beads...I'm going to look on-line for the supplies in the right sizes. Did take a stab at making one, pretty funky wrapping :roflhard: but it is a start. Once I get a couple made I'll take some pics.

Hi Chris! :waving: You were smart to wait until you find the right tools and elements. One of our KH-ers posted a link to Fusionbeads.com, an online bead shop. I poked around...and found this page for the 26-gauge 3" silver headpins (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/productchart/920/)! (Product Code: SS4001)

Fusion Beads also offers FREE STANDARD SHIPPING to within the borders of the USA! That is a savings in itself!

They have nice descriptions of their "findings" as the stuff is called. For example, they corroborated my opinion that the extra fine silver headpins (26 gauge) are best for wire wrapping! They also offer a very nice pictorial tutorial on the making of a wire wrap beneath a bead!

You can view it HERE (http://www.fusionbeads.com/beadingfaq/techniques.php?bfid=8)! Very clear and concise! That same tutorial names the tools you will need, using the correct industry name for the tool...not my nicknames!

Tools

Round Nose Pliers (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/productchart/609/)
Chain Nose Pliers (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/productchart/610/)
Wire Cutters (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/productchart/614/)The tools vary in price. I didn't pay much more than $10 for each of my tools. I notice that some of the erognomic tools run $30 each! I didn't need a tool that scientific. I guess if a person was using the tools 6-8 hours a day for a business venture, the erogonomic tools would save you the doctor visits for carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.

I still encourage you to use 3" headpins. You need the extra length to hang onto while performing your neck coil/wire wrap. The shorter headpins are a PITA to work with! You'll be more like to waste 2" headpins, trying to wrap, unwrap, wrap, unwrap...and then the thing is a bust, and you'll have to toss it out. It is just nuts.

HERE (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/17829/) is a link straight to the 8mm soldered/closed silver jumprings. Fusionbeads also carries the 6mm.

CORRECTION: Blue Iris Beads told me that my large size jumpring was a 10mm. I called them after I got home and I told them what the packaging said, she told me I had purchased 10mm. However, I just measured my jumpring...and by the 'inside' dimension/opening...it is exactly an 8mm hole. Hmmm. Well, Fusionbeads doesn't even have 10mm...so maybe they are not available in 10mm anyways. I noticed that their OPEN jumprings come in sizes up to 9mm...but we can't use OPEN jumprings for stitch markers.

So my large jumpring is an 8mm and the small jumpring is a 6mm. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I hope you have found this post of be of some help. I know you were probably greatly disappointed with your local bead shop, not having the elements and findings that you were looking for! It is nice to be able to walk in to a store, grab what you need, plunk down your dough, and walk out the door...all in one swoop!

Let me know how things go! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 04:08 AM
I have jumprings but they have a gap which if you squeeze too hard trying to close it it overlaps :wall: ...Is it the headpins you put thru the bead then wrap it around itself?

Love your markers:heart:

Hi Doodknitwit! :waving:

You have what they call OPEN jumprings, as opposed to CLOSED jumprings that have been professionally soldered closed.

I posted a photo tutorial on page 4 of this thread...I don't know if you saw it...it has about 21 step-by-step photos of me making a stitch marker.

However, there is also another pictorial tutorial HERE (http://www.fusionbeads.com/beadingfaq/techniques.php?bfid=8) on the Fusionbeads.com website! It is very good, and also lists the 3 tools that you need for making a wire wrap below a bead.

On this page, I posted a response to Chris...and in the post I added some links for the correct silver findings, as seen on the fusionbeads.com website: the "closed" silver jumprings and the 3" long silver 26 gauge headpins.

And the SHORT ANSWER to your question is: yes, you thread your elements (beads, etc) onto the headpin...then stick the top of the head pin through the "closed" jumpring, bending it at an angle so it hangs on, and then continue bending it so you can wrap/coil it around itself. Below, the amber & wood stitch marker is mine...and below that is a copy/paste of the little bead shown on the fusionbeads.com tutorial. Take a look at both tutorials, mine and fusionbeads. FYI: having the right tools (three listed) also makes it possible to make beautiful stitch markers.

I hope this helps you make some stitch markers for your knitting pleasure! They make me happy to look at, and makes the long hours of knitting more fun!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2455.jpg

NOTE: below, the rose bead is not a finished stitch marker. Inserted in the "eye" above that wrap we would have placed our 8mm closed silver jumpring...this jumpring is what is we slide onto our knitting needles. I notice that their "eye" looks a whole heck of a lot better than my "eyes". Their "eye" is a perfect circle. I'll have to work on perfecting that. My "wraps" (coils) are getting better though! I am very happy with the last set I did last week!
http://www.fusionbeads.com/a/wwloop/main.jpg

chrislt8
07-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Thank you once again ArtLady! I poked around a little on line last night but was overwhelmed with the number of google results and options - now I have some direction! Will try to place an order today as I am dying to try my hand at this:cheering:

And you are right - I was very disappointed yesterday as I wanted to try it NOW :roflhard:

As always your instructions and information are very clear and helpful - I think you are a natural born teacher :star:

larudden
07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
In lieu of closed jumprings, you can also use split rings, which are like a small key ring. You may have more luck finding bigger ones. Try the hardware store in the key ring section. Sometimes, they have them there.

Also, if you get the colored wire, about a 20 gauge or so or thicker, clip it to the size you need, use your round nose pliers to make a small closed "eye" on the bottom, then put your beads on, and wrap a loop as big as you need it. You'll never have to worry about finding the right sized jump ring again.

I can probably work up some pictures is you need visuals. My studio is pretty full with anything having to do with making beads and jewelry, so I'm sure I can put my hands on something for you.

Also, if you have one of those creme brulee torches, it'll melt sterling wire. Just put the end of the wire in the flame and it'll ball up pretty quick. Instant headpin! It's alot of fun. The silver melts fast so watch it or it'll fall off the wire. Ouch! I make headpins on my torch alot when I can't find the size I need. Just buy some SS wire (go here - always free shipping - http://artbeads.com/wire-and-chain-sterling-wire.html), cut it to the length you need, melt the end and there you have it. I would practice your wrapping on cheaper wire if you're a newbie because sterling can be expensive.

Also, copper wire is very easy to come by and I think you can melt it as well. I'll have to check. Go to Home Depot in the wire section. Buy one of those big thick cables, the one covered with rubber. You can cut the cables off the big rolls they have. They use it for construction. If you look at the end, the insides are all different gauges of copper wire twisted together. Buy a few feet, cut off the rubber, and pull whatever wire out you need. Copper is really easy to work with. If you hammer the end, you can keep the bead from falling off. Just file the end a bit to take off any rough spots. Copper is also fun to solder. If you've done stained glass, then you have a soldering iron.

Gosh, I could go on and on about this. Can you tell I've just had my coffee?

Anyhoo, if you have any specific questions, please let me know. I seem to be a mess of information today!:lol:

Dizbub
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Artlady
it sounds like your stich markers are georgeous. I can't see, to figure out how to look at the though. I would be interested in seeing the pictures and perhaps making some myself. I have some jewlery that my grandmother left that i wouldn't wear but this might be a good thing to do with it.

ADAllen
07-30-2007, 10:45 AM
This is a little off topic because they are not stitch markers strictly speaking, but I would love to make some for myself if you guys could help me out. I would like to make some row counters like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Number-Chain-beaded-knitting-row-counter-WHITE-PEARL_W0QQitemZ190114546473QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1362 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting). I get the basic idea and a lot of what ArtLady has said seems it would apply, but I'm guessing that those are not basic head pins. does anybody know what they are called? Thank you so much for all the work you guys have put into this thread. It is extremely helpful!:hug:

larudden
07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
OK, I couldn't sit still until I tried it myself. Here's a stitch marker that'll fit up to a size 17 needle. I used a 1/2 inch dowel for the measurement.

Materials: some copper colored wire I got at Michael's ages ago, two seed beads and one of my lampwork beads from my stash. It's a bit rough, but I think you can get the idea.

The "eye" at the bottom can even be used to dangle a charm.

Geez, maybe we should have a marker swap or something. That would be fun!

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
OK, I couldn't sit still until I tried it myself. Here's a stitch marker that'll fit up to a size 17 needle. I used a 1/2 inch dowel for the measurement.

Materials: some copper colored wire I got at Michael's ages ago, two seed beads and one of my lampwork beads from my stash. It's a bit rough, but I think you can get the idea.

The "eye" at the bottom can even be used to dangle a charm.

Geez, maybe we should have a marker swap or something. That would be fun!

Hi larudden! :waving:

Your bead is BEAUTIFUL! Do you knit using this style of stitch marker yourself? (jumpring-less) Here is why I ask: a "jumpring w/ beads dangling" stitch marker has a certain movement...the "charm" swings and has movement. I was wondering, how does the stationary quality of your sample stitch marker "work" while knitting...?...

We really appreciate your input! You are a professional bead and jewelry lady! :notworthy:

I am going to attempt this new style of stitch marker...the stationary stitch marker (aka jumpring-less) and see how it works with the knitting! :thumbsup:

Do you know...is there any metal transfer (grayness ruboff) to the yarn when using copper? How does copper perform rubbing against yarn?

I love the smooth polished surface of the sterling silver jumprings...but it is all I have tried. They stay nice and shiny, too. The four sets I purchased at my LYS several years (and a million stitches) ago...have stayed nice and shiny, and have never transferred any grayness to the yarns around them.

Oh, I just love your beads! And, the dowel trick is cool! You rock! (no pun intended!) :teehee:

I must say, if we could implement some or all of your tips, making our own headpins, etc...soldering our own jumprings, or bypassing jumprings altogether (like your model)...we could save a boatload of money! It takes a bit more time to make our own "findings"...but, like everything, once we get our groove going...we could knock out a pile of headpins in minutes!

Your methods would put "stitch marker creations" into 'financial feasibility' as a business venture. The 'retail purchase" of ready-to-go silver findings pushes the price of finished product (stitch marker) waaay up there....and not affordable for many knitters. That is why I have never thought about "selling" my stitch markers. Who would want to pay my costs plus time? Not many! So I just make them for myself, so far! I also made a set for a knitting buddy! She bought the findings and beads, I made 'em up for her.

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 02:33 PM
This is a little off topic because they are not stitch markers strictly speaking, but I would love to make some for myself if you guys could help me out. I would like to make some row counters like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Number-Chain-beaded-knitting-row-counter-WHITE-PEARL_W0QQitemZ190114546473QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1362 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting). I get the basic idea and a lot of what ArtLady has said seems it would apply, but I'm guessing that those are not basic head pins. does anybody know what they are called? Thank you so much for all the work you guys have put into this thread. It is extremely helpful!:hug:

WOW! I clicked the link you provided, and WOW! those little row counters are waaaay cool! I don't make jewelry, and am not very experienced in identifying what certain components are called...but, I think Larudden does! The lady on Ebay is selling her row counters for just $9.99 plus $2 shipping. Very reasonable in my opinion! I am guessing you want to customize your own row counters!

So far, what I have done to keep track of rows in sets of 10: I place a little brass safety pin on the knitting, about 1 inch inside the edge. I place it between row 10 and row 11....etc. I leave them in place until all pieces are knit so I can refer back to how many rows were knit to reach eg. 16" for the beg of armhole shaping. Then I have to remove them all! Ugh.

This little row counter is cool. I would use it! We'll have to wrap our brains around the concept!

What are your ideas in customizing the concept? Will you change anything? Will you still use the little numbered cubes?

Keep us posted!

Maybe Larudden will give us her input! We are blessed that such a talented lady has visited our thread!

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Artlady
it sounds like your stich markers are georgeous. I can't see, to figure out how to look at the though. I would be interested in seeing the pictures and perhaps making some myself. I have some jewlery that my grandmother left that i wouldn't wear but this might be a good thing to do with it.

Hi'ya Diz! :waving:

I don't follow what you mean in your post. Would you clarify your comments for me? I read your sentences again and again, and I understand that you are sight-impaired (it "sounds like" your stitch markers are...)? Then you said "I can't see..."

I am interested in understanding your post and comments, and I appreciate your input very much! :heart:

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi again Leslie (aka Larudden)! :waving:

One quick question regarding your model stitch marker (the green lampwork bead): was is worked from bottom to top...or top to bottom?

I am guessing bottom to top.

Cia
07-30-2007, 02:49 PM

I may be wrong, but this is how I'd go about making one of these.
It seems firstly a bigger ring is made, leaving a rather long tail to wrap the coil around. Then the bead is threaded on to the tail and is closed by making a small ring. Then she probably continued that way, just threading the newly made larger ring in to the previous smaller ring berfore closing it. Then at the last one she seems to have leaved a longer tail after the bead so that, once she has made the smaller ring and threaded it with the bead, she could use a coil to "lock" the ring.:happydance:

EDIT

Or perhaps, she'd make the small ring first, putting on the bead, then make the bigger ring and wrap the coil around... that'd probably be easier...

ADAllen
07-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks I saw these and fell in love with them. I am planning on ordering some from her (she says she does custom orders). I just have to wait for next month's allowance. I have a ton of plastic number beads and I'd like to use them to make some for the young girls that knit in the after school program that I use to work for.

That's Cia! I'll give it a try with just some wire.

larudden
07-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Maybe Larudden will give us her input! We are blessed that such a talented lady has visited our thread!

Oh STOP! You're talking to someone who LOVES making beads but HATES making jewelry!

Anyhoo, in answer to some of the questions, I have never used my own markers but now I see what you mean by the dangling aspect. This is how I would "fix" that: Make a small eye at the end of your wire, do the big "over the dowel" wirewrap, THEN add a bead dangle off the eye part. Or you can make a small wire wrap lool if you don't like the eye part.

Looking at the row counter, which is so awesome!, you can see how she made the big loop wrap, put the # bead and then "closed" the end with an eye. All you do to attach everything together is open up the eye slightly and string the loop on it.

I made my marker from the bottom up, but you could do the big wrap first.

I'm gonna try a dangle one next.

Not sure about the copper "staining." If it's a worry, buy the copper color wire at the craft store. I used an 18 gauge wire. There are all kinds of colors.

The end.

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh STOP! You're talking to someone who LOVES making beads but HATES making jewelry!

Anyhoo, in answer to some of the questions, I have never used my own markers but now I see what you mean by the dangling aspect. This is how I would "fix" that: Make a small eye at the end of your wire, do the big "over the dowel" wirewrap, THEN add a bead dangle off the eye part. Or you can make a small wire wrap lool if you don't like the eye part.

Looking at the row counter, which is so awesome!, you can see how she made the big loop wrap, put the # bead and then "closed" the end with an eye. All you do to attach everything together is open up the eye slightly and string the loop on it.

I made my marker from the bottom up, but you could do the big wrap first.

I'm gonna try a dangle one next.

Not sure about the copper "staining." If it's a worry, buy the copper color wire at the craft store. I used an 18 gauge wire. There are all kinds of colors.

The end.

Hi'ya Leslie (aka larudden)! :waving:

I swear, we are birds-of-a-feather! We see a new idea, and we go right to it!

So I am knitting away on my KHAKI CABLES cardigan...and the thoughts about the jumpring-less stitch markers just kept crowding out the knitting. So, I stopped knitting for a bit and built a jumpring-less stitch marker, using some old bead I had around. I used the dowel-like handle of a WPI tool for my "dowel"...but it was hard to create the "built-in" stitch marker O because I used an old 2" silver headpin I had laying around....but, after the thing was done, I was able to "round out" my "EYE". It is about 8mm.

I like your suggested adjustments/remedies...and my photos below confirm that your adjustments are right on.

Anyway, here are the photos of my jumpring-less stitch marker, and the performance comparison between the two styles.

1) It turned out looking fine! The O part is not as perfectly round as your O's. :pout:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2457.jpg

2) However, after knitting with it riding on the needle for a few rows...my knitter's assessment of it is: the bead "chokes" up close to the needle...it interfered with my knitting. My left thumb kept stumbling on the bead. In other words, I like the way the other style of stitch marker (on the right) dangles AWAY from the needle. Then, all I feel as I go along is the wire, not the bead.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2461.jpg

3) Notice how the stitch markers that I am current using on the row dangle AWAY and well below the needle. I also like the 'swing' and 'movement' of the beads when suspended from a jumpring. They are pretty little "weights" that prevent the jumpring from popping off/flicking off the needle like plastic stitch markers do!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2465.jpg

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
PS: thanks for the tip on how to create one of those cute little row counters. Now my mind is busy with that as well! :eyes:

Stay tuned.

larudden
07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
As if I don't already have enough to do, I just HAD to stop it all and figure out this marker thing.

Anyhow, not ever having used these before, I wasn't sure how long they were supposed to be, so I made two different kinds:

On the left, I made a dangle and attached it to a small toggle clasp that I had in my stash. This will probably fit up to an 11 or so. Then, on the right, I made the big loop with a 1/2 inch steel mandrel (that dowel was so big that it was driving me crazy -- so then I had to scour my work table to find a mandrel big enough). Good Lord!

I photographed them both with a ruler next to them because I'm not sure exactly how long they're supposed to be (Is there an echo in here?). And what is the biggest size bead I should use? I dug through my box of beads to find some that were on the small side and found the little rose beads.

I'm kinda likin' 'em, I must say.

So, these are my 2 questions:

1. How long should the total length be?
2. How big is the biggest sized bead I should use?

That's it for now. If you could see my house, you would laugh because it looks like a train just ran through the center of it. I've got drumstick knitting needles in all stages of completion, then there's the laundry that my cat is dragging all over the living room because I won't pay attention to her, and then the studio, which has all kinds of stuff everywhere and a little path leading to the work table, which is covered with tools, wire, beads and whatever else I "thought" I would need to make these markers.

I think I need a nap!:passedout:

angel4ever
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
As if I don't already have enough to do, I just HAD to stop it all and figure out this marker thing.

Anyhow, not ever having used these before, I wasn't sure how long they were supposed to be, so I made two different kinds:

On the left, I made a dangle and attached it to a small toggle clasp that I had in my stash. This will probably fit up to an 11 or so. Then, on the right, I made the big loop with a 1/2 inch steel mandrel (that dowel was so big that it was driving me crazy -- so then I had to scour my work table to find a mandrel big enough). Good Lord!

I photographed them both with a ruler next to them because I'm not sure exactly how long they're supposed to be (Is there an echo in here?). And what is the biggest size bead I should use? I dug through my box of beads to find some that were on the small side and found the little rose beads.

I'm kinda likin' 'em, I must say.

So, these are my 2 questions:

That's it for now. If you could see my house, you would laugh because it looks like a train just ran through the center of it. I've got drumstick knitting needles in all stages of completion, then there's the laundry that my cat is dragging all over the living room because I won't pay attention to her, and then the studio, which has all kinds of stuff everywhere and a little path leading to the work table, which is covered with tools, wire, beads and whatever else I "thought" I would need to make these markers.

I think I need a nap!:passedout:

Those are absolutely gorgeous!!!!! :heart:

larudden
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
http://www.hathorrising.com/Instructions/Wire-Wrapping.pdf

Here's an online wire wrapping tutorial for those who like to "see" how it's done!

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi'ya Leslie (aka larudden)! :waving:

OMG!
Your stitch markers are beeeeeuuuutiful! Of course, I am sure you made the beads yourself! (y? n?)

The length of the total suspension for a stitch marker is personal preference. Just make sure the beads don't choke up too close to the needle. The size of the beads is also personal preference. I usually use small beads...about the size of a pea or coffee bean...but...the blown glass beads I made up recently, the turquoise shown in another post today...are the biggest beads I will knit with. Otherwise things get too clunky. I just loved those particular beads...so...picked them up at a Poulsbo bead shop a few weeks ago.

I also appreciate the link for that tutorial! Very concise step-by-step photos! I will save the link in MY FAVORITES!

I will continue to use/work with the soldered/closed silver jumprings, just as personal preference. However, I will definitely make some stitch markers (for sizes US11 and larger) using your design for the stitch marker you featured on the right...the longer one with the little clear rose bead plus the "work-of-art" bead! As you said, silver jumprings cannot be found in a large enough size for US11 and up needles!

Man o man...your stitch markers are just wonderful looking! BTW, I looked at yourwebsite...to view your beads, but several of your links are not "hot". Do you sell your beads, or are they for your own use only? What is the intent of your website...a BLOG only or for commercial/retail use? Both?

Yeah, you should see my office here. I have two art shows that need final shipping...paperwork is everywhere...my art studio has paintings all over the place...the entire house needs vacuuming...need to start dinner...and here I sit...4:45 pm...fussing with this stitch marker thread! Well, I am enjoying it immensely!

Here is what I did with that little dud of a stitch marker I made earlier! I had a necklace that had lost a pottery component (probably caught it on something at an art show)...so I added my little bead to it...and it now looks complete again! Yeah! Who knew? :shrug: I paid about $25 for that darn necklace at our Western Washington State Fair (a local artisan's jewelry/craft booth)...and I was very attached to it's look! I was so bummed when I noticed that the other rectangular pottery component had disappeared!

My little dud stitch marker looks like it was intended to be there, doesn't it??
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2470.jpg

PaperGirl
07-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Has anyone thought about using the plastic stitch markers that Im sure so many of us have (I know I do) and just embellishing them?

Ive got alot of dangles and stuff that I bought with the intention of earrings, but I think markers would fit them better.

Ive only got the split 9mm rings though. Hence the plastic ring idea.

I have to buy some other wire though. All I have is green floral. :roflhard:

larudden
07-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Has anyone thought about using the plastic stitch markers that Im sure so many of us have (I know I do) and just embellishing them?

Now, THAT'S a great idea! Right in front of our noses, huh?

And those plastic markers come in all kinds of neato colors, don't they?

Thanks!

Songbirdy
07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
All I can say about watch this thread is that I really feel my ugly plastic stitch markers are no good... :sad::sad::sad:

That and I'm going to see if I can find a bead store around here. Not because I can afford a new hobby but because they will likely be willing to connect me to someone who can make me some for a reasonable price.

You guys, they look fantastic. And I love the counting marker too. What would be neat if there was a way to make the counting marker so that you could adjust it for your pattern. I'm working on a cable pattern right now with a section of 4 row repeat, 8 row repeat, 12 row repeat and 32 row repeat. It has been a logistical nightmare to keep my various repeats all organized and I ended up making a spreadsheet!

[its the pattern that it mattered to count my cast on edge]

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Leslie!

You had asked:

I thought about it...and thought about all my stitch markers, most of which I have used for several years.
I have some useful (I hope) input for you...about the biggest bead that works well, and the longest total overall length stitch marker, top-to-bottom, that performs well with the knitting.

Here are some photos of my longest stitch markers, and my biggest beads. I would not go longer nor get bigger beads.
These are the max!

1) This shows the width of the blown glass oval bead.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2476.jpg

2) This shows the length of the blown glass oval bead. I am working with it now. It works well.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2477.jpg

3) My red blown glass globes. I wouldn't want it any bigger!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2480.jpg

4) This shows the width of the blown glass bead. It is as wide as I would recommend. Kind of an icky wrap, huh? I'll have to tweak it!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2489.jpg

5) This shows the length of this blown glass stitch marker. It works well on the needle, and is not in the way.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2488.jpg

6) This is 1 of 9 "vintage" crystal bead stitch markers I made the other day. It is as long as I would recommend.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2492.jpg

7) This is 1 of 10 in my jade set. I made this set, and it is almost too long. Almost gets in my way sometimes. It has a 8mm jumpring.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2479.jpg

8) I purchased a set of 10 with 6mm jumprings. I wouldn't recommend much longer for a stitch marker.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2487.jpg

9) I purchased this in a set of 10 from my LYS. It is a 6mm jumpring. Little square crystal bead. This was my first set!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2485.jpg

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM

Ive got alot of dangles and stuff that I bought with the intention of earrings, but I think markers would fit them better.

Ive only got the split 9mm rings though. Hence the plastic ring idea.

I have to buy some other wire though. All I have is green floral. :roflhard:

Hi PaperGirl! :waving:

My red "blown glass globes" stitch markers used to be attached to big plastic stitch marker rings...and I just hated them. They don't "swing" well on the plastic...I don't know...maybe it was my attachment "eye" being too small...so I took them apart, and remade them onto 8mm jumprings.

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup: It is a worthwhile idea we could tinker around with!

Eloewien
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I make these and sell 'em to friends all the time... maybe it's time I made myself an etsy store...

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
All I can say about watch this thread is that I really feel my ugly plastic stitch markers are no good... :sad::sad::sad:

That and I'm going to see if I can find a bead store around here. Not because I can afford a new hobby but because they will likely be willing to connect me to someone who can make me some for a reasonable price.

You guys, they look fantastic. And I love the counting marker too. What would be neat if there was a way to make the counting marker so that you could adjust it for your pattern. I'm working on a cable pattern right now with a section of 4 row repeat, 8 row repeat, 12 row repeat and 32 row repeat. It has been a logistical nightmare to keep my various repeats all organized and I ended up making a spreadsheet!

[its the pattern that it mattered to count my cast on edge]

Hi Songbird! :waving:

I feel ya! I do a lot of cable work...and it is a nightmare sometimes. I have 3 Katcha-Katcha row/stitch counters...I put a little note on each one as to what it is counting for me! Sometimes 3 are not enough! :pout:

PaperGirl
07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi PaperGirl! :waving:

My red "blown glass globes" stitch markers used to be attached to big plastic stitch marker rings...and I just hated them. They don't "swing" well on the plastic...I don't know...maybe it was my attachment "eye" being too small...so I took them apart, and remade them onto 8mm jumprings.

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup: It is a worthwhile idea we could tinker around with!

Yeah, thats a reason why I would attach them myself to the plastic markers.

I have LOADS of the plastic ones that came in my learn to knit kit...and I was cleaning out my craft stuff yesterday and found all the pre strung dangles...they are GORGEOUS...

I was thinking I could make my own eye and attach to the plastic...Ill show ideas when I get the right wire.

:woohoo:

Artlady...you've got some gorgeous beads. :heart:

Theres a store here in Waco called Paper Bear..and the only other Paper Bear that Ive seen was in San Marcos, and chock FULL of beads...a make your own jewelry counter, TONS of GORGEOUS beads...wires, fixings...OMG. I was in there for TWO HOURS one day...

So I was THRILLED to see one here...I go in, and alas...

No beads.

:pout:

So Ive been working on my old bead stash...

Eloewien
07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
so... how much would be a "reasonable" price for a set of say 6 stitch markers?? just wondering...

ArtLady1981
07-30-2007, 11:36 PM
so... how much would be a "reasonable" price for a set of say 6 stitch markers?? just wondering...

Hi Eloewien! :waving:

Any craftman(woman) needs to recoup "costs" plus something for "time". We call it "time and materials".

I don't know how you want to value your time spent, plus your "artistic creativeness"!

I will expose a true confession here, and hope none of my personal friends see it: I spent $50 per set (10 markers per set) for the stitch markers that I purchased 4 years ago at my LYS. Yes, and I bought 4 sets...2 sets were 6mm jumprings...and the other 2 sets were 8mm jumprings.

So, me thinks to myself, after the urgings of my fellow knitters at the South Sound Knitters Guild meeting...I will take one of my stitch markers to The Blue Iris Bead Shop...and make my amber set MYSELF...and save boatloads of money.

:pout: NOT.

I spent $80 to make this set of 10!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2390.jpg

I spent $75 to make this set of 10! Yes, all components are Swarovski crystals and sterling silver findings. Save money? I don't think so.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2416.jpg

So, if I were to SELL THEM...would someone really pay me $100 for the set...thereby paying me $20 for the labor? I don't think so.

So, after one more set of (amber colored) Swarovski crystal stitch markers...I started trying to use less expensive beads. I am still stuck on my sterling silver findings...but am trying to cut costs on the beads. Hence, I feel so smug when I dismantled that old vintage crystal necklace of mine...and made a set of 9 stitch markers! For just the cost of the jumprings and headpins! ($15 for the set of 10!)
Yippee!

I wish I could be of more help. The term reasonable is relative. I can see now that my LYS was charging a reasonable price for the ($50) sets of 10 considering how much they spent on all the elements. BTW, all 4 sets were crystals.

Later they started offering sets of 4...and started using gold plate...but, those didn't move. Gold was o-u-t at that time anyway, in the jewelry business and home decor.
Silver, pewter, stainless steel, platinum, bronze, copper...all these metals were the "in" thing. You couldn't give away gold jewelry!

Why don't you post photos of your stitch markers for us and let us give you an idea of what we would pay for them...if we didn't know how to make them ourselves!

I have seen "cheap" prices for stitch markers at different yarn shops...and even though they were relatively inexpensive, I wouldn't knit with them EVER. I would rather use plastic stitch markers. So, cheap is as cheap does.
Ya gets what ya pays for. I am usually willing to pay someone what something is worth, and rarely do I dicker about the price. I either pay it, or I don't. I think an artist's time and creativeness is worth something!! Not all people are like that.

Whatever price you ask...remember, you can always come down. in price..but you can never GO UP in price. Throw it out there, and see what happens. Don't undercut yourself.
Your work and creativity is worth something! :thumbsup:

Well, that is my 2 cents.

Eloewien
07-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Ok... maybe quick reply isn't liking me- i've tried to post three times! I'm thinking of doing lampworked glass beads that can be found here (http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?vap=true&namespace=browse&sp=true&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&event=catalog&N=378181&origin=catalogProducts.jsp) along with some sort of coordinating beads as well... the lampworked ones are just soooo cute! They would cost less than a dollar each to make, and I whip out sets of 25 in under 15 minutes for friends all the time... I'll have to get batteries for my camera tomorrow so I can take pictures of the ones i've made so far

ArtLady1981
07-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Ok... maybe quick reply isn't liking me- i've tried to post three times! I'm thinking of doing lampworked glass beads that can be found here (http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?vap=true&namespace=browse&sp=true&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&event=catalog&N=378181&origin=catalogProducts.jsp) along with some sort of coordinating beads as well... the lampworked ones are just soooo cute! They would cost less than a dollar each to make, and I whip out sets of 25 in under 15 minutes for friends all the time... I'll have to get batteries for my camera tomorrow so I can take pictures of the ones i've made so far

Hi again Eloewien! :waving:

We are all anxious to see your creations! Way to go! :thumbsup:

larudden
07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm obsessed! Yup! That's the word! Anyhow, I was thinking about the whole "closed jumpring" dillemna and I think I may have an answer for you all.

I took some photos of the process of making your own jumprings, and I hope they make sense to you.

I used 18 gauge copper colored wire that I bought at Michael's and a large steel mandrel. Of course, a big dowel works perfectly as well.

1. Wrap the wire around and around the dowel until you get a nice coil.

2. Take your cutters and cut straight across the coil, which will now leave you with a bunch of jumprings.

3. Of course, in this case, we want them closed. Well, take a small seed bead and some super glue and glue that little sucker between the ends of the ring.

4. There you have it! Now add your dangle and you're in business!

Hope this works!

chrislt8
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, my findings are ordered - so I am now in maillman stalking mode. Can't wait to try out all the various suggestions on this thread!!! Boy, these markers are beautiful!!!

On the good news side, the wonderful mailman just delivered my latest KP order so I have something to keep me occupied as I, oh so impatiently, wait for the findings :roflhard:

jmp3775
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I get 12mm split and jump rings at AC Moore. They're I think 99cents for 10 split or 20 jump rings. I prefer the split rings for markers because if the jump ring isnt completely flush it can snag your yarn or lose your dangle.

Dollyce, have you checked artbeads.com? I think you might be kind of paying alot for your Swarovski crystals if a set of markers is costing that much to make:??!

PaperGirl
07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
:woot::woot:

I made some!

Totally crappy, and I wouldnt give them to my worst enemy...

But I MADE them!

Ill show pics in a bit.

I did the wire coil, superglue and a bead trick that larudden shared. Wrapped it around a 10.5 needle...and adding the bead made it too tight for a size 10 needle, so Im keeping them to use on 8s and below.

larudden
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Dollyce, have you checked artbeads.com? I think you might be kind of paying alot for your Swarovski crystals if a set of markers is costing that much to make:??!

I love artbeads.com and have been buying findings from them for years! They've got good prices on headpins and wire and there's always free shipping!

larudden
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.hhhenterprises.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=split+ring

lookee what I found! Big split rings, 12mm 16mm, 24mm in gold and silver. La la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ArtLady1981
07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, my findings are ordered - so I am now in maillman stalking mode. Can't wait to try out all the various suggestions on this thread!!! Boy, these markers are beautiful!!!

On the good news side, the wonderful mailman just delivered my latest KP order so I have something to keep me occupied as I, oh so impatiently, wait for the findings :roflhard:

Hi'ya Chris! :waving: Your post made me LAUGH! Love it...because I understand about the "mailman stalking mode"!

I placed order from KP..ordered a bunch of books during their 40% summer sale...and got some additional OPTIONS parts. 60" cables (for "just in case") and some extra needle tips.

Mailman Stalking Mode is up and running! :woot:

ArtLady1981
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
I get 12mm split and jump rings at AC Moore. They're I think 99cents for 10 split or 20 jump rings. I prefer the split rings for markers because if the jump ring isnt completely flush it can snag your yarn or lose your dangle.

Hi'ya jmp3775! :waving:

I really got TOOK on those Swarovski beads. Did I mention...that the silver separators in between and on top of the beads are also sterling silver and Swarovski crystals? Mo' money added to the bill!

Well, I was a dummy, knowing nothing about online bead shopping...:zombie:

Here's what happens when you enter into my local land of beads shop (the Blue Iris): They give you a little tray with 24 little compartments, a little pencil, and little bits of paper for each compartment. You write down the Quantity and SKU number for each bunch of things plopped in there.

Now, who knew that SHOCK that would occur at the Check-out Register!?? :passedout:

It is SHOCKING how all the stuff adds up! I burned right through a credit card limit!

So now, I am DONE with crystals. "Stick a fork in me, I am DONE!"

I am stickin' to other elements. There are so many neat beads that make stitch markers! Seeds, wood, glass, vintage jewelry beads, etc. I am loving those oval turquiose & clear glass beads I made last week. They weren't too much $.

Anyway, I saved the link for artbeads.com and I have strolled around in their online shop. It IS GREAT!

At the moment, I am trying to stay on the 'straight and narrow'...whatever that it! I am trying to stay out of bead shops and yarn shops.
I am so weak. :pout:

chrislt8
07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
At the moment, I am trying to stay on the 'straight and narrow'...whatever that it! I am trying to stay out of bead shops and yarn shops.
I am so weak. :pout:

Oh ArtLady, I hear you on that:roflhard: There seems to always be a new temptation lurking around the corner:hiding:I looked at the Swarovski beads when I was placing my orders for the findings but just kept saying "NO! NO! NO! I must not order!" ...escaped with just the findings and one tool I didn't have from my foray to Michael's over the weekend - but it was a close one!

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi'ya Leslie (aka Larudden)! :waving:

Thanks again for posting the clear, concise photos on how to make our own jumprings using either a mandrel or a dowel! You are just the BEST!

I have a question: can Sterling Silver "wire" be purchased as well as the copper that you demonstrated in your tutorial?

I like the thickness of the "wire" used in closed SS jumprings.

larudden
08-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi'ya Leslie (aka Larudden)! :waving:I have a question: can Sterling Silver "wire" be purchased as well as the copper that you demonstrated in your tutorial? I like the thickness of the "wire" used in closed SS jumprings.

Oh YES! You can get sterling wire at artbeads.com http://artbeads.com/wire-and-chain-sterling-wire-dead-soft.html
You can make your own rings, clasps, headpins.............

Made these last night - kinda like 'em!

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh YES! You can get sterling wire at artbeads.com http://artbeads.com/wire-and-chain-sterling-wire-dead-soft.html
You can make your own rings, clasps, headpins.............

Made these last night - kinda like 'em!

Hi'ya Leslie! :waving: Thanks for the link!

Regarding your new stitch markers: you KINDA like them???

I LOVE THEM!!! Thanks for sharing the photos with us!!! WOW!

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi again Leslie!

QUICK QUESTION REGARDING WIRE GAUGE:

Which is thicker: 20 gauge or 22 gauge?

Eloewien
08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
20 gauge is thicker... it's 1/20 of an inch... 22 gauge is 1/22 of an inch and so on. You can get many base-metal wires online. That technique is how you make rings to make jewelry chains as well.

lucky_alf2
08-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi! I've been lurking and getting ready to order some cute beads from oriental trading (http://www.orientaltrading.com) and findings from fusion (http://www.fusionbeads.com). I'm so excited to try this out!

Anyways, there was a post few pages ago that indicated fusion didn't have 10mm closed jump rings -- they are SS3468 (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/7916/) and SS3475 (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/7923/) -- don't really know what the difference is as the gauge is listed as the same.

As for knowing what size jump ring to use -- my little knitting needle measuring card lists US size, British size and mm (online version (http://www.leechesson.com/knitting_needle_sizes_or_conversion_chart.htm)) -- so by using the mm info you kinda figure out which size jump ring you need to buy or make -- not sure tho if a 10mm jump ring means 10 mm hole inside or from outer edge to outer edge. Just thought it might be useful if you wanted to make some for smaller or larger needles than we've been talking about here.

ArtLady -- the larger the gauge the thinner the wire -- the 26 gauge head pins are very thin, whereas the 8mm 20 gauge jump rings are thicker -- that's how I remember it anyways.

Thanks for inspiration! Can't wait to make some of my own!!

larudden
08-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Anyways, there was a post few pages ago that indicated fusion didn't have 10mm closed jump rings -- they are SS3468 (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/7916/) and SS3475 (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/7923/) -- don't really know what the difference is as the gauge is listed as the same.

Those jump rings are 16 gauge - very thick wire - which will make the inside hole small. I would say that you don't have to go any bigger than a 20 gauge wire.

My 2 cents.......

larudden
08-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey Dollyce!

If you could see my fingertips, they're all covered with crazy glue! I don't think I'm likin' the glueing the seed bead to close the wire idea. I think I just might buy some artistic wire (the stuff I get at Michael's) in a smaller gauge, maybe 22 instead of 20, and do the big wire loop for the marker and a small wire loop for the dangle. Make sense?

If you could've seen me last night! My fingers kept getting stuck together! Too funny!

The wire I got from M's won't tarnish and it's a heck of alot cheaper than sterling. Comes in silver, gold, and all kinds of funky colors. You might want to check that out before buying sterling.

Gosh, I STILL haven't gotten anything done here! 3 baskets of laundry (about 5 loads) just keep getting moved around the room. HA!

PaperGirl
08-01-2007, 03:21 PM
That happened to me too. I glued my fingers together,and my 5 year old DS told me..."Mommy, that why you dont play with glue!" :fingerwag:

But I have some handmade stitch markers for me now, and my fingers are fine today. :roflhard:

ADAllen
08-01-2007, 04:20 PM
"Mommy, that why you dont play with glue!" :fingerwag:

larudden
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
darn kids!:wink:

ArtLady1981
08-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Hi! I've been lurking and getting ready to order some cute beads from oriental trading (http://www.orientaltrading.com) and findings from fusion (http://www.fusionbeads.com). I'm so excited to try this out!

As for knowing what size jump ring to use -- my little knitting needle measuring card lists US size, British size and mm (online version (http://www.leechesson.com/knitting_needle_sizes_or_conversion_chart.htm)) -- so by using the mm info you kinda figure out which size jump ring you need to buy or make -- not sure tho if a 10mm jump ring means 10 mm hole inside or from outer edge to outer edge. Just thought it might be useful if you wanted to make some for smaller or larger needles than we've been talking about here.

ArtLady -- the larger the gauge the thinner the wire -- the 26 gauge head pins are very thin, whereas the 8mm 20 gauge jump rings are thicker -- that's how I remember it anyways.

Thanks for inspiration! Can't wait to make some of my own!!

Hi LuckyAlf! :waving: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I looked and lurked and lurked and looked...and I couldn't find those CLOSED 10mm sterling silver jumprings anywhere at the fusion beads website! Thanks for giving us the direct link! Yeah!!!!

BTW: the measurement comparison chart is very helpful! But...I can tell you whereas US11 needles are equivalent to 8mm...my biggest jumpring (the 8mm) does not slide onto a US11 needle...therefore, I am assuming that the 8mm does NOT MEAN the size of the hole...but the outside, side-to-side, widest measurement.

But, I will buy those 10mm jumprings asap! I have been looking and looking and looking at bead shops...and no one carries them in Sterling Silver and "closed". My local Blue Iris had some fancy 10mm jumprings...but the price was ridiculous! I mean RIDICULOUSLY high!

KnittingNat
08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
ArtLady, i finally got inspired :woot:and i got myself some jumprings and headpins on eBay (the local bead shop was selling the rings for a 1$ EACH!!!) and got some beads downtown. I also have some nice stones from a jewelery project that i mean to use. So now i'm waiting the 1.5-2 weeks (:waah:) to get the stuff and then - off i go making stitch markers!!! And i need some too - i want to make Clapotis for my MIL and it requires 18 stitch markers. And using different color of yarn just seemed too boring for me :teehee:

lucky_alf2
08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
OK -- I absolutely couldn't wait 10 days for the postman to arrive with my stuff -- so I dug through my beading stash and made 9 stitch markers -- I only had to buy the headpins as I had everything else :)

I used larudden's coil idea to make the rings and Artlady's bead info for the wrapping. I'm pleased and have already loaded them up on my current project.

Still can't wait for my mail order tho -- the gleam of sterling and the cute beads I ordered....but at least I've fed the "beast" and can return to knitting and laundry and stalking the mail carrier.

Thanks again for the great tutorials and pictures!!! :cheering:

beppermee
08-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Those are gorgeous...makes me want to start another new hobby! I particularly like the first set with the flower beads!

PaperGirl
08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
My wraps are SO sloppy compared to y'alls! :roflhard:

All in due time, next time I hit Michaels, Ill get more wire and the right tools. I blame my sloppy wraps on my crappy tools. Yeah. Thats it. :doh:

honeybunmom
08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I am LOVING this thread! I've recently been on the hunt for new stitch markers. I have 1 nice set - closed jump ring, pretty beads - and could get another for $10 - $14 plus shipping. But, now . . . . I could put to use the tools I bought for the jewelry I never made for Christmas gifts last year! And I think I already have wire! I can dismantle cheapo necklaces I no longer wear for beads, order a few things from fusionbeads and be good to go!

But, I need not do any of this as I already spend all of my free time knitting instead of packing up my home so we can move!

ArtLady1981
08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
OK -- I absolutely couldn't wait 10 days for the postman to arrive with my stuff -- so I dug through my beading stash and made 9 stitch markers -- I only had to buy the headpins as I had everything else :)

I used larudden's coil idea to make the rings and Artlady's bead info for the wrapping. I'm pleased and have already loaded them up on my current project.

Still can't wait for my mail order tho -- the gleam of sterling and the cute beads I ordered....but at least I've fed the "beast" and can return to knitting and laundry and stalking the mail carrier.

Thanks again for the great tutorials and pictures!!! :cheering:

WOW!:yay:
You really did an excellent Job! The "wrap" is really nice looking...all even and so forth! I also love the bead! The self-crafted "jumpring" was a great idea that larudden (aka Leslie) shared with us, wasn't it??!!

Glad we could help you get rollin'! Thanks for taking time to post the photo!

WOW! :yay:

ArtLady1981
08-02-2007, 07:38 PM
My wraps are SO sloppy compared to y'alls! :roflhard:

All in due time, next time I hit Michaels, Ill get more wire and the right tools. I blame my sloppy wraps on my crappy tools. Yeah. Thats it. :doh:

Hey there little PaperGirl! :waving: My first wraps were not so great either. I was using metal of some kind, not silver, and the headpin was the 2" instead of the 3".

Nonetheless, I finally got my :eyes: groove going! And so will you!

chrislt8
08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh dear! I want to play .... where IS that mailman!!!:hair:

All your markers look just wonderful!

ArtLady1981
08-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Oh dear! I want to play .... where IS that mailman!!!:hair:

All your markers look just wonderful!

Hi'ya Chris! :waving: Thanks! By this time next month we will all be happily knitting away with "stitch marker works of art"!

Oh guess what! My mail-lady brought my KNITPICKS box today! Books, books and more books, and some additional OPTIONS extras! Yah!!! :woot:

KnittingNat
08-03-2007, 03:32 AM
I want to do that too - :hair::hair::hair: Where is that plane with my package????? You can't stalk a plane, can you :think:? i want my jumprings :wall::wall::wall: Is that frustrated enough :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:?

PaperGirl
08-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey there little PaperGirl! :waving: My first wraps were not so great either. I was using metal of some kind, not silver, and the headpin was the 2" instead of the 3".

Nonetheless, I finally got my :eyes: groove going! And so will you!

Yeah, this is some metal that I found in my bead stash.

Wouldnt you know it, last night while cleaning off the top of my dresser, I found another bead container...STUFFED with beads? :roflhard:

Its a sign, I tell ya. Im gonna order some of the silver wire from Fusion and get some bette tools before I start again.

lauraknits
08-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for this thread! Artlady, your tutorial is FANTASTIC! I had no idea how easy these would be to make! Even I can do it! Although, mine aren't quite as smooth and perfect as most of yours. I just ran to the bead shop this afternoon, bought some tools and findings, and whipped out a set of 10!

I am totally thrilled but can't find the camera. Anyway, they don't look any more remarkable than all the others posted. I just wanted to say THANKS!

Every time I think I spend too much time on this board I get another pearl that's worth sooo much!

robynbird
08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
I've made markers before but I was using stuff that was so hard to wrap. I bought the sterling silver thin head pins and can't believe how simple it was!! I made several sets last night. I used up the toggle rings I had left and some of the jumprings I bought. The pictures all came out blurry. :( Boo hoo.

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi Lauraknits and Robynbird! :waving:

:cheering:GOOD FOR YOU!:cheering:

Glad to hear that you made yourselves some beautiful stitchmarkers! Please do post photos of your precious pieces, no matter what! We would love to see them!

I am so happy that the tutorial helped you! Yup, those 3" sterling silver headpins make all the difference! I found that out the hard way...but at least I finally got it! :woot:

lestrella
08-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Artlady,

Your stitch markers are awesome! Thank you so much for the tutorial. You inspired me to make my own. I'm still having a little difficulty doing the "neck" wrapping but I think is because I don't have the necessary tools. I didn't find 3" head pins. I used 2" instead and it makes it a little difficult. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you...THANK YOUUUU!!!!!! Everything you do is so beautiful and you are such an inspiration!!!:hug:

robynbird
08-05-2007, 01:38 PM
OH my...I'm soo addicted! I bought 100 headpins and only have about 27 left!! LOL I will get some pictures and post them soon.

chrislt8
08-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, my mailman delivered the findings yesterday - so guess what I spent the morning doing? :roflhard:

They certainly aren't perfect, but what a blast to make! ...and they (even in this learning stage) are oh so much prettier than the plastic ones I've been using! My wraps started out horrendous, but did improve (have to get better a judging the distance to start the bend). Unfortunately I didn't have many beads that I could use to make a larger matched set, but here are some pictures of this morning's activity:

These are the first ones I made - I like that they will lie flat on the knitting (included a side view so you can see how the bead is flat and relatively thin):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1356/1020203660_159e5070d6_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1090/1020207236_3592dc7e71_m.jpg

Then I moved onto these (I think these are my favorite) I made two a little different to use for distinguishing the start of a round, etc:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/1019339475_23e38aee28_m.jpg

And then, finally, I made these - by now the wrapping was getting a little better and a little more uniform in length:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/1019335389_0f43ad163d_m.jpg

Then company arrived so I had to put it all away!

Thank you again ArtLady for the tutorial!!! :muah:I have been wanting to try this but was just lost where to begin (never having even perused the bead isle before!) Now that I have my head around this I may just have to pick up a few "nicer" beads to add to the collection :happydance: What fun!

KnittingNat
08-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Do you all think this thread could apply for sticky? I mean, so many people found it so useful! Go ArtLady :cheering:! Can't wait to get started on my own stitch markers :happydance:

chrislt8
08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I really do think it would be a great sticky (maybe in the "How To" section?) ...what knitter doesn't wan't luxurious tools? ArtLady's tutorial is very well done and it would be a shame for it to go to the Land of Lost Threads.

But then, I am not sure what the sticky criteria are so this is just my humble opinion!

lucky_alf2
08-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Nice Markers Christlt8!! I like how you made some slightly different in the set too! I can't wait for my headpins to arrive -- sounds like they will be far easier to wrap then the ones I used earlier this week. Great Job!!! :yay::yay:

chrislt8
08-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice Markers Christlt8!! I like how you made some slightly different in the set too! I can't wait for my headpins to arrive -- sounds like they will be far easier to wrap then the ones I used earlier this week. Great Job!!! :yay::yay:

Thanks! I'm certainly pleased with them for a first try at beading :cheering: I tried to use the shorter head pins when I realized I would have to order the 3" on-line and wait...but we won't even talk about those results:hair: .

You'll love the extra length (even though you end up cutting most of it off) :roflhard:

larudden
08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
So, if you can't wait for the headpins and have wire hanging around the house, do this:

Starting at the end of the wire, roll a coil maybe 2 or 3 wraps big, cut the wire 3 or so inches out and there's your headpin. Nobody says the ends have to be flat. Make a little designy (is that a word?) thing at the end and get moving!

I'm lovin' all these markers. I bought a bunch of wire today and will be making dangles this week for my drumstick needles. I'm sure I'll have some leftover pieces so markers will definitely be on the list.

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, my mailman delivered the findings yesterday - so guess what I spent the morning doing? :roflhard:

They certainly aren't perfect, but what a blast to make! ...and they (even in this learning stage) are oh so much prettier than the plastic ones I've been using! My wraps started out horrendous, but did improve (have to get better a judging the distance to start the bend). Unfortunately I didn't have many beads that I could use to make a larger matched set, but here are some pictures of this morning's activity:

These are the first ones I made - I like that they will lie flat on the knitting (included a side view so you can see how the bead is flat and relatively thin):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1356/1020203660_159e5070d6_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1090/1020207236_3592dc7e71_m.jpg

Then I moved onto these (I think these are my favorite) I made two a little different to use for distinguishing the start of a round, etc:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/1019339475_23e38aee28_m.jpg

And then, finally, I made these - by now the wrapping was getting a little better and a little more uniform in length:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/1019335389_0f43ad163d_m.jpg

Then company arrived so I had to put it all away!

Thank you again ArtLady for the tutorial!!! :muah:I have been wanting to try this but was just lost where to begin (never having even perused the bead isle before!) Now that I have my head around this I may just have to pick up a few "nicer" beads to add to the collection :happydance: What fun!

WOW! I love 'em!
Seriously, you should be VERY PROUD of all your artwork creations! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU! :grphug:

My favorites are the dark blue ones! :heart:

lucky_alf2
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
You'll love the extra length (even though you end up cutting most of it off) :roflhard:

Yeah -- I ordered mostly 3" sterling pins, but some 2" too -- just to see how much harder it is too wrap -- I believe everyone that it's so much easier, but I kept hearing that little register cha-ching whispering to me everytime I thought about cutting all that off -- we'll see I suppose

robynbird
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM
OK, I got some pictures of my new snazzy stitch markers.

These are the various sets I made. I only took a picture with 2 of each set of 10. http://www.dailyjoy.net/knitpics/group.JPG

These are some glass beads I found at Joann's that have a rose painted inside then I found the pewter rounds that look like roses.
http://www.dailyjoy.net/knitpics/rose1.JPG

And these are a set of swarofsky (sp) crystals in a variety of colors. I made 3 of each color for this set of 12.
http://www.dailyjoy.net/knitpics/swarosfski.JPG

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 02:27 AM
Hi'ya Robyn! :thumbsup:

Your variety of stitch markers are just BEEEAUTIFUL!
My favorites are the pinks with the silver trimming! WOW!
I love blown glass beads with roses, etc embedded inside the glass!

It makes me very happy that I started this thread, and that the time I took to do the little tutorial is really helping you all out! Beyond anything I could have imagined! HOORAY FOR US! :grphug:

I wonder what the Mod Squad thinks about making this thread a STICKY. It would be ok with me. However, this thread won't get lost if we keep it alive by participating, and responding to the email notifications when we or someone else new has mosied into our thread and Posts comments!

Hi Leslie! Good tip about making our own headpins.

Also here is something my Blue Iris clerk said: save all the sterling silver ends that get trimmed off. Eventually you will have enough of it to melt down and re-use for something.

I don't know WHAT...but, it is a worthy thought, dontcha think? :shrug:

Just an FYI from me to all: The reason I make so many "coils" around the neck of my stitch marker is this: I like to get the beads a little farther away from the jumpring so that the beads are never intruding themselves into my knitting. If the "neck coils" are wrapped just twice like you see for earrings, etc...then the beads choke up too close to the jumpring, and then your left thumb is always disturbed by the marker beads when they come along. Follow me?
I like my beads to dangle farther down, so...4-5 wraps does the trick! :thumbsup:

Also, another FYI from me to all: After you are done doing your "wrap- wrap-wrap-wrap" coils...if they are spaced out a little too much, you can push them up towards the jumpring with a little knife. The sterling silver is so compliant, it allows for adjustments to be made.

When I was at that HUGE Shipwreck Beads yesterday, I was using a loose headpin to try bead combinations out. Aaargh. This headpin was like a NAIL! It was definitely NOT the material, nor the gauge, for our little stitch markers! Shipwreck Beads had very few 3" headpins available, and the ones they had were not plain heads. They had little silver blobs/balls at the end...which interferes with the design elements. If I want a silver blob/ball at the tip...I will add an itty bitty silver seed bead!

Well, that is just my 2 cents!

chrislt8
08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Robynbird - your markers are just beautiful!! I definitely have to find some "nicer" beads and make some more-I just have one of those boxes with a bunch of different sized beads in the same color family - not too many beads in there to get excited over... Your rose beads are so pretty - and I love the swavorsky - the colors are so vibrant! And sets of 10 each! WOW you have been busy.

ArtLady - Thanks for the additional info. I have to learn to judge that distance from the top bead to the bend on the head pin better - I was averaging about 7 wraps - which came out ok but not quite what I wanted. We won't talk about the number of head pins that were sacrificed yesterday! :roflhard:

larudden
08-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I just love copper! I don't know what it is but I do..........

Anyhow, go to Home Depot, in the wire section, and check out the big, thick conduit cable they have. They usually have them all on one of those electric spinning things. If you look inside the cable (behind the rubber coating), there are TONS are thin copper wires all twisted together.

I buy a footlong section for a couple of bucks and you would not believe how much wire is in there!

You just untwist the pieces as you need them. And, if they're all bent and stuff, just grab the wire between a dishtowel and pull a few times. It'll straighten the wire right out.

Just cut your little pieces, make little coils on the ends, and you're ready to go!

If you're worried about tarnishing, just keep a jar of jewelry cleaner around. Store the markers in a sealed container so the air doesn't get at them.

More ideas....................

(gosh, I need to make a video or something...........)

larudden
08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Here's a quick marker I put together to show you the bottom coil.

I used a piece of copper "coduit" wire and made a small coil. Then I took my jewelry hammer and hammered it a bit, just because.... Slid on one of my beads, made a small eye at the top, and connected it to my top piece.

The possibilities truly are endless!

larudden
08-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh yes, the picture!

robynbird
08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I just went over to Joann's and looked at what they had. They were having a 25% off sale as well. I only bought strands that had at least 10 main beads for $1.99 each and then I would also use the smaller beads they put on it too. I bought several of the silver separaters and so I think for all those (except the swarovski) I paid about $25. Which just proves, you don't need to spend a fortune for beautiful markers. However, the sterling silver headpins...make it so easy!

robynbird
08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh yes, the picture!

That's beautiful!!

larudden
08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
There's definitely nothing like sterling for wire wrapping. However, I would practice on some other wire first so that you don't make any bloopers with the sterling. It ain't cheap, ya' know?

lestrella
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
OMG! All those markers are beautiful! Thank you all for the wonderful tips. Here is a picture of my first stitch marker. I didn't have any supplies so I just made a set of 12 with the only beads I had. I still need a lot of practice. Next time, I will definetely keep in mind the "long neck coil". It makes total sense.

PaperGirl
08-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I did something odd last night.

I had a bunch of necklace clasps still...so I placed them on the wire instead of a jumpring...

And now I have Right side/Wrong side markers, and I made 3 with 1, 2 and 3 beads to mark the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd needles in sock making.

Cause, when Im working ITR, I always forget the numbers...I thought this would help me out alot.

And the markers just clip to the stitch....No snags or anything.

larudden
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM

I had a bunch of necklace clasps still...so I placed them on the wire instead of a jumpring...

And now I have Right side/Wrong side markers, and I made 3 with 1, 2 and 3 beads to mark the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd needles in sock making.

Cause, when Im working ITR, I always forget the numbers...I thought this would help me out alot.

OK, let's see some pictures..........I'm trying to visualize what you're explaining and it sounds way cool!

What a neat thread this is turning into, huh?:yay::woot:

PaperGirl
08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
OK...pic one is the first set I made...the red & black...sloppy wrapping, but I didnt buy anything, so Im not out any $$$. When I get better at wrapping, these beads will come off for a better set.

Pic 2 is my 2nd set...

pic 3 is the numbered markers I was talking about. :) 2 beads, 3 beads, 4 beads...and the pink & blue is just one that I use to mark WS/RS. Cause Im a dork, and when I start a project, I cant ever remember which is which. :roflhard:

robynbird
08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I saw one of these little gadgets and my yarn store and bought it for a swap on another board. So I too made one the other day. I thought they'd be great for marking the beginning of the round in crochet also. :) Great minds!! :cheering:

Riss
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Man... you guys rock so much...

That tutorial back there has given me the inspiration I needed... and the know how. I just got back from Walmart and ACMoore with all my little tools and some gorgeous beads... Now to get started... *dance* I'll post pictures when I finish my first set. What is the recommended amount for a set of markers?

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Robynbird - your markers are just beautiful!! I definitely have to find some "nicer" beads and make some more-I just have one of those boxes with a bunch of different sized beads in the same color family - not too many beads in there to get excited over... Your rose beads are so pretty - and I love the swavorsky - the colors are so vibrant! And sets of 10 each! WOW you have been busy.

ArtLady - Thanks for the additional info. I have to learn to judge that distance from the top bead to the bend on the head pin better - I was averaging about 7 wraps - which came out ok but not quite what I wanted. We won't talk about the number of head pins that were sacrificed yesterday! :roflhard:

Hi Chris! :waving: Yeah, that distance is a "learning curve", isn't it? Same thing for myself!

Sterling Silver is more forgiving of an "un-wrap/re-wrap".
Sometimes a bad wrap can be re-done successfully!

In the tutorial...I mentioned that I leave a 3-4mm space.
Ya know what you could do? Save a piece of a cut-off headpin...make a black mark that is 3mm from one end..and use this as a "measuring guide" next time you are calculating the placement your "Bender Tool" (See Step 14 of the Tutorial).

This would work, and now that I am excited about it...I am going to use an old heapin (that is heavy enough to resemble a nail!) for my "measuring tool"!

I will post a photo of my "measuring guide". I can only guess that other KH-ers are having the same issues as you and I are about that space!

Thanks for mentioning it, Chris! :thumbsup: This will help us all! Less headpins wasted!

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Man... you guys rock so much...

That tutorial back there has given me the inspiration I needed... and the know how. I just got back from Walmart and ACMoore with all my little tools and some gorgeous beads... Now to get started... *dance* I'll post pictures when I finish my first set. What is the recommended amount for a set of markers?

Hi'ya Riss! :waving:

Ya know, I like a set of 10...but, it is all personal preference. I think some stitch markers would be useful just as a set of 4...these could mark the beginning and end of a couple of cables. However, any two matching markers could mark the beginning and end of anything you want!

Sometimes, for example, I have two cables running the length of my knitting. One cable is a right twist, the other one is a left twist. I will mark the right twist cable with red stitch markers, the left twist cable with blue markers. This color sequence alerts a tired old knitter to pay attention to the cable direction!

When working on this KHAKI CABLES cardigan, it had two ropey cables at each end...and a 20 st "traveling cable" in the middle. I marked the traveling cable with gold/amber stitch markers for a while.

Later in the project, I got tired of my markers, and switched things up! We can do that! We are the "Captain in Command" of our knitting! :wink:

If a bead is kinda pricey, making a set of two satisfies me.
It the beads are affordable, a set of 10 is what I like.

However, dummy me...I made a couple sets of 10 that were outrageous in price...and although I love them...I now stay away from Swarovski crystal beads and Swarovski & Sterling findings. :pout: They really run up the bill QUICKLY when multiplied by 10 stitch markers! Eeeks.

Now, I am focusing "cannibalizing" vintage jewelry I find! Now THAT makes a stitch marker lots of fun!!!! :woot:

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
That's beautiful!!

Hi Leslie! :waving:

That marker is simply darling! Thanks for the photo!

I hope you are stayin' cool! I saw the news...your city is 105 degrees today! :hot:

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
OMG! All those markers are beautiful! Thank you all for the wonderful tips. Here is a picture of my first stitch marker. I didn't have any supplies so I just made a set of 12 with the only beads I had. I still need a lot of practice. Next time, I will definetely keep in mind the "long neck coil". It makes total sense.

Hi'ya Lestrella! :waving: THANKS from all of us for posting the photo of your beautiful stitch marker! Way to go! :woot:

I want to thank everyone who is able to, and takes time to, post photos for us! Not everyone has the digital camera and/or the time for photo re-sizing, etc. But, when you do...it makes our day! Thanks bunches! :muah:

robynbird
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
OK...I have to stop! I just got MORE headpins. I must stop now. YIKES...

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Here's a quick marker I put together to show you the bottom coil.

I used a piece of copper "coduit" wire and made a small coil. Then I took my jewelry hammer and hammered it a bit, just because.... Slid on one of my beads, made a small eye at the top, and connected it to my top piece.

The possibilities truly are endless!

One thing for sure everyone: the tips and techniques that Leslie (aka Larudden) has shared with us puts the "making and marketing" of stitch markers POSSIBLE because it cuts down your costs. Therefore, you will be able to offer your product at a more attractive price...and they will sell more quickly!

Someone talked about selling their hand-crafted items on a website called Etsy.com....I looked at it, and it is very nice!
I don't know if Etsy takes a commission like Ebay does, but, if they do it would be understandable.

Does anyone know about selling on Etsy.com?

If you decide to sell on Etsy: be sure to have enough product ready for posting, and post new stuff every day.
They say this makes for a more attractive "store"...and you will get more repeat customers, and they will pass your link along to others. Don't let your "store" get stagnate.

Same goes for anyone who creates and maintains a website. Frequent updates are necessary to keep things fresh for those returning customers!

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 07:54 PM

Hi'ya PaperGirl! :waving:

Thanks for posting the photos Papergirl! HOW COOL! :thumbsup:

Now I am getting juices flowing! We could use this "clasp" style for ROW MARKERS! We could make a set of 10 or more...and put a different "numbered cube" at the end of the "marker"! The clasp is cool because it can be attached and detached at will!

I know the cubes only go from 0-9...however, for the number 10...you could use two cubes...a "1" and a "0", etc.

Anyhoo, I saw these cubes at Shipwreck, and they were not expensive. Some are white 'celluloid' with black number, some were silver with black numbers.

Ohhh...that is just such a wonderful tip you shared with us Papergirl! I love it! I bet those little clasps are cheap, too! :woot:

chrislt8
08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh my goodness - all these new stitch markers and ideas! My creative juices are flowing...everything is so lovely!

Great idea on the "bend guide" ArtLady - I will try that :cheering:

And I love the "clasp" row marker idea!

And, and, and...jeepers, I want to knit, I want to bead, I want to KH...just not enough hours! :eyes:

zebstriped
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I've been watching this thread and you have all inspired me...I was so BORED with the plastic stitch markers that this was a great little project. I even found a local bead shop that I never knew existed before (although I couldn't find Sterling Silver findings and had to settle).

Here's my first pair of stitch markers. Do pardon my sloppy wraps, I think practice will make them neater going forward:

robynbird
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
VERY pretty!

PaperGirl
08-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Pretty beads!

Thanks ArtLady, and everyone, for the nice comments! I had thought about number beads...but I didnt have any in my stash at the moment..so I went with what was available.

Im thinking that a lobster claw clasp *might* be easier to clip...these were a bit tight...

This is FUN!

baronreads
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I read through this entire thread yesterday, went to M's and bought my tools, but couldn't find the SS "findings", so I'm about to order what I need and would like to know what size jump rings were recommended. Fusionbeads has 9mm jump rings in 20.5 gauge. Are these too large for the larger needles? What would you recommend for a smaller size needle? 6 mm? 7 mm? Is this gauge OK? And is 22 gauge good for the head pins? Thanks so much for ALL of the info in this thread. I can't wait to try and make some of these!!

larudden
08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I read through this entire thread yesterday, went to M's and bought my tools, but couldn't find the SS "findings", so I'm about to order what I need and would like to know what size jump rings were recommended. Fusionbeads has 9mm jump rings in 20.5 gauge. Are these too large for the larger needles? What would you recommend for a smaller size needle? 6 mm? 7 mm? Is this gauge OK? And is 22 gauge good for the head pins? Thanks so much for ALL of the info in this thread. I can't wait to try and make some of these!!

When buying jump rings, the mm size is usually from end to end and not the middle hole. If you have a heavy gauge wire, the hole inside will be smaller because the wire is thicker. What I would do is buy a few rings to make sure they're the right size.

I like the idea of buying a package of small toggle clasps and using the round end for the ring. You can get them in Michael's or JoAnn's. They're not sterling but they really are awesome! The inside holes are a great size for needles up to about a 10 or so. And you can make dangles with a lobster claw and just clasp them onto the toggle. This makes it fun to change out the dangles whenever you want. Someone here does that and does it quite well, if I do say so myself!

FYI - Sterling will STILL tarnish over time because the air is going to get to it and you'll still have to polish them. I wouldn't worry so much about sterling if they're going to be for your use. I don't think it's a "must have." Finding the right size ring is the most important and, if the ring is plated but the head pins are sterling (earsier to wrap with), it's not a big deal. There are so many options.

I'm considering some kind of video of the whole wrapping process. I have a friend who does videos and I'm going to see if he'll tape me one day. Or else I might do a detailed photo step by step and put it on my website. Wire wrapping and getting a nice round loop on your dangles is really easy once you get the correct tools and know the process. Once you get that under your belt, the possibilities are endless. Think: Fan Pulls, vertical blind pulls, horizontal blind pulls, etc. etc. See where I'm going?

Here are some ideas. Go to the hardware store and you can buy those little gold thingies that the fan pull chain attaches to. The top of the thingy is a small hole and the bottom is the connector. Wire up your dangle to the hole part and then hook the chain to the fan pull ball chain. Voila! AWESOME fan pulls you made yourself! And they make GREAT gifts!

Gosh, my mind is spinning..................

Have fun! I love this thread...................:yay:

baronreads
08-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Leslie!

You had asked:

I thought about it...and thought about all my stitch markers, most of which I have used for several years.
I have some useful (I hope) input for you...about the biggest bead that works well, and the longest total overall length stitch marker, top-to-bottom, that performs well with the knitting.

Here are some photos of my longest stitch markers, and my biggest beads. I would not go longer nor get bigger beads.
These are the max!

1) This shows the width of the blown glass oval bead.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2476.jpg

2) This shows the length of the blown glass oval bead. I am working with it now. It works well.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2477.jpg

3) My red blown glass globes. I wouldn't want it any bigger!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2480.jpg

4) This shows the width of the blown glass bead. It is as wide as I would recommend. Kind of an icky wrap, huh? I'll have to tweak it!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2489.jpg

5) This shows the length of this blown glass stitch marker. It works well on the needle, and is not in the way.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2488.jpg

6) This is 1 of 9 "vintage" crystal bead stitch markers I made the other day. It is as long as I would recommend.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2492.jpg

7) This is 1 of 10 in my jade set. I made this set, and it is almost too long. Almost gets in my way sometimes. It has a 8mm jumpring.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2479.jpg

8) I purchased a set of 10 with 6mm jumprings. I wouldn't recommend much longer for a stitch marker.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2487.jpg

9) I purchased this in a set of 10 from my LYS. It is a 6mm jumpring. Little square crystal bead. This was my first set!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2485.jpg
What are the markings on your ruler? inches or mm? I'm trying to figure out what size beads to order. Thanks!

astonh
08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I was excited to find this thread. It has given me some good ideas. I've not done any patterns where I had to use stitch markers but I'm now armed with all sorts of how-to hints when I DO make some.

I had made something similar a while back using some stuff I had around the house. I have a bit of trouble keeping count of how many stitches I've cast on (when larger numbers and hubby is trying to converse with me and the kids are running amok) so I created some stitch counters for myself. I'll post a pix of them (they are nothing special) later. They go on every so many stitches and allow me to more easily keep track of where I'm at. Then, when I'm done, they come right off as they are not on the needle.

Anyway... they work for my needs and I am excited about learning better, more beautiful ways to create such items to make knitting seem more "like a retreat and special" than just pluggin' away.

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Hi Baronreads! :waving:

The two size jumprings that I have used are 8mm and 10mm.
The 10mm fit up to size US10.5 needles. I use the 8mm for size 0-5 needles. My goal is to make stitch markers with larger sterling silver jumprings for US11 up.

The 10mm would technically "work" for 0-5 needles, however, because the needles and work are so small...the 8mm jumpring slides over the work a few stitches...it just kinda jumps over two or three stitches, and doesn't sit quietly awaiting its turn. The 8mm jumpring performs better for smaller work.

All my jumprings were called 16 gauge "closed sterling silver" meaning the opening is soldered closed. Nothing will catch on the yarn. [The 20.5 gauge jumprings that you are looking at will be skinnier than mine.] May work ok, however, I do like my jumprings to be sturdy little buggers. Mine are just perfect.

I personally use 26 gauge sterling silver headpins. [22 gauge headpins will be thicker headpins] Are you looking at silver headpins?

Well, I will close this post, and move down the line and see what others say! May be back in a minute!

PS: the markings on my ruler are inches. However, the jade stitchmarker shows both sides of the ruler...inches on one side, mm on the other.

Welcome aboard the Stitchmarker Train! :grphug:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I've been watching this thread and you have all inspired me...I was so BORED with the plastic stitch markers that this was a great little project. I even found a local bead shop that I never knew existed before (although I couldn't find Sterling Silver findings and had to settle).

Here's my first pair of stitch markers. Do pardon my sloppy wraps, I think practice will make them neater going forward:

Hi'ya Zebstriped! :waving:

Your markers are beautiful! The stones are very natural looking! I like the little seed beads you added to embellish them! Good work! You "wraps" will improve next time 'round. If you look closely at all my stitch markers, you will see that some of my earlier wraps were kinda wonky! When my wraps began to significantly improve is when I started using 3" sterling silver headpins, and I learned to grip the top of the "eye" of the headpin, letting the jumpring dangle loose. (see Step 19 of the tutorial, located on page 4 of this thread)

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos! We get ideas from each other no matter how proficient we are at the wraps! What matters is the decoration aka the art! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Leslie! Thanks again for the fab photos! I went to my Blue Iris Bead shop today, and forgot to get lobster claw clasps for stitch row markers! Dern! I appreciate all your help on our fantastic thread! You have added lots of wonderful tips and useful techniques! Wouldn't be the same without ya'! I will eventually have to break down and make my own jumprings for stitch markers large enough to accomodate (sp?) US11 and up!

Yes, you are right about sterling. It will tarnish over time, however, it is AIR that tarnishes. I have kept mine in their own little drawers...and this has kept the tarnishing down to a minimum. My SS jumprings have NOT tarnished AT ALL...but the SS headpins (the wraps) have tarnished a little. You can see it only on the wraps. A little.

Riss
08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
My turn to share...

I've caught the bug... :)

Instead of uploading them all... again.. here's a link to my blog where I've uploaded them already. :)

Bloggishness (http://carusancillo.blogspot.com/)

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 06:24 PM
My turn to share...

Instead of uploading them all... again.. here's a link to my blog where I've uploaded them already. :)

WONDERFUL WORK, Riss! :cheering: Wonderful work! :cheering: Love 'em all! :cheering:

robynbird
08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
My turn to share...

Love love love them!!! Especially the black ones and the front/back ones. I'm going to copy you. :)

Ingrid
08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I've been avoiding this thread because I can't afford another addiction. . . but the beauty of all your markers is overwhelming!!!:thud::woohoo::woohoo::yay:

Just beautiful! :heart:

lestrella
08-08-2007, 06:49 AM
:passedout: Speechless...

KnittingNat
08-08-2007, 08:02 AM
My turn to share...

So pretty!!! Everyone are getting so entusiastic :cheering:I want to make some too... Waiting for the package with the jumprings...I hate living i the end of the world with no normal crafts stores :wall::wall::wall:

baronreads
08-08-2007, 09:20 AM
So pretty!!! Everyone are getting so entusiastic :cheering:I want to make some too... Waiting for the package with the jumprings...I hate living i the end of the world with no normal crafts stores :wall::wall::wall:

Even with normal craft stores in my area, I'm not able to find the closed jump rings large enough! I had to order too. :shrug:

zebstriped
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM

You certainly have and it appears you are completely stricken. They are absolutely beautiful! I like your implementation of the front/back and as others have mentioned, I'm copying you...which is flattery :-)

zebstriped
08-08-2007, 12:15 PM
You "wraps" will improve next time 'round. If you look closely at all my stitch markers, you will see that some of my earlier wraps were kinda wonky! When my wraps began to significantly improve is when I started using 3" sterling silver headpins, and I learned to grip the top of the "eye" of the headpin, letting the jumpring dangle loose. (see Step 19 of the tutorial, located on page 4 of this thread)

Since I plan to make a million of these little buggers (great gift for a knitter!) I'm sure my wrap will improve. Thanks to YOU for making such a great thread, and including instructions and pictures -- I never would have tried without your help!

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi! :waving:

I went to the Blue Iris yesterday. Went there to get some jumprings and headpins. Came out with a few extra items.
Ahem. :noway:

Anyway, here are a few of the things I conjured up today!
I have been trying to play catch-up over in the KAL August Challenge/CABLES. Everyone has a week's jump on me! I know I will never get done by August 31!

Here are the photos!

Made 12 Lampwork Stitch Markers, various colors and shapes, however, all my photos except this one are blurry. Will re-do tomorrow in natural light. Even this lighting (mt OTT-LITE) was too bright to show off the bead correctly. Larudden (Leslie) made this bead!!! Thanks Leslie! :heart:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2519.jpg

Made 4 of these. Gold-filled findings. Nice quality.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2534.jpg

Made six of these. The findings are gold-filled. Nice quality.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2532.jpg

I only made two of these hematite stitch markers. I dug these out of my button box. :shrug: Where they came from I will never know! :shrug:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2511.jpg

Could afford to make a set of 10 of these. These pinky beads came in a string of 25 for $3! Cool!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2514.jpg

I found some more of these neat blown glass swirls at Shipwreck Beads...so, added to the two I had...now I have a set of 8!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2513.jpg

KnittingNat
08-09-2007, 02:12 AM
ArtLady, what can i say? I LOOOOOVE 'EM ALL!!!!:yay:And of course, i'm totally amazed at your imagination.:passedout:

baronreads
08-09-2007, 03:44 AM
CUTE! CUTE! CUTE! I can't wait til my findings come. They have shipped! Oh, I hope I'm not all thumbs trying to do the wraps!

chrislt8
08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
ArtLady - those are just beautiful! I love those little "collars"? on the bottom, gives the markers such an elegant, finished look!

I have to get some more beads to try making more of these - just have to find a place to buy them (not thrilled with the selection my local Michael's has and am on the hunt for a shop where I can see them in person, I'm finding it hard to pick out beads on-line!).

Sharly
08-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Larudden (Leslie) made this bead!!! Thanks Leslie! :heart:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2519.jpg

MADE?!?!?! :noway: Wow!

It's all so pretty!!!

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
MADE?!?!?! :noway: Wow!

It's all so pretty!!!

Hi Sharly! :waving: Yes, Larudden (Leslie) does "lampwork"! She makes lampwork beads. That (I think) is the process of embellishing plain beads with hot liquid glass, kinda like you would decorate a cake with frosting leaves and flowers. Also, it seems to the art of making glass beads, as well.

She has a website called 3sistersbeads.com! Quite a talented woman she is! :thumbsup: HERE (http://www.3sistersbeads.com/Soul%20Food.htm) is a direct link to one of her pages that shows what she does with Lampwork. [Her website is in a transition stage right now, so all of her links are not HOT yet...that is why I gave you the direct link above]

Sharly
08-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Wow! Those are really awesome!!

Boy, I am really out of my league here with all you very talented people!!!

Riss
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
*whistles* Sheesh... Ms Productive over there! :P

I'm so addicted to making these. They're such quick and easy little projects. And they're bringing out the girlyness in me.

I've already made two more sets... with a few more to go today, then I'll scan and post more pictures. :)

Riss
08-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Finally uploaded more pictures on my blog. Come have a look. :)

http://carusancillo.blogspot.com/

chrislt8
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh Riss! Those green ones are so great - for some reason I immediately thought of candies from when I was a kid when I saw them! They are all so nice :cheering:

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Hi'ya Riss! :waving:

Thanks for sharing your little artworks with us! They are so colorful, and very artistic! My favs are the pinkies! Just love all your work! Kudos to you! :thumbsup:

robynbird
08-10-2007, 12:26 AM

absolutely beautiful!! I love the green ones - my favorite color. The pink are a close second with the black ones. :)

KnittingNat
08-10-2007, 04:16 AM

I think the green ones are my favorite too! Wow, your work is great!

larudden
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and found a special issue magazine called "Wirework" and it has a perfect tutorial, complete with pictures, on making a wrapped loop. If anyone struggles with getting nice, round loops, this magazine is for you. And there are some great ideas in here too. I love this magazine!

Sharly
08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh Riss! Those green ones are so great - for some reason I immediately thought of candies from when I was a kid when I saw them! They are all so nice :cheering:

I suddenly want Jolly Ranchers!!

chrislt8
08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I suddenly want Jolly Ranchers!!

THAT'S what they reminded me of - couldn't think of the name of the candy!!

:think: now I'm hungry!!!:roflhard::roflhard:

astonh
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
The stitch markers ARE gorgeous BUT I must admit that I absolutley LOVED watching the Yip-Yips. Watched it twice before my boss asked WHAT was I doing (causing me to laugh so hard... hee hee).

Sharly
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
THAT'S what they reminded me of - couldn't think of the name of the candy!!

:think: now I'm hungry!!!:roflhard::roflhard:

Okay - if I get your name in the secret swap, I'm definitely going to include some sour apple jolly ranchers!!

Do they still make those???

Sharly
08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Well...I certainly don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I just went to the cute little store downstairs and I am presently enjoying a green apple Jolly Rancher!! :happydance:

Okay, I'm don now about the candy! ;)

larudden
08-20-2007, 09:28 AM
So I went to the Stitch n' Pitch event at the Tampa Bay Devil Rays game the other night and sat next to a woman who had a pretty crystal stitch marker. Of course, I asked her if she made it. She did and we started to talk about them. I "just happened" to have my markers from this thread in a bag so I pulled them out to show her. We talked more about lampwork beads (she has a friend that also melts glass) and then asked if I sell my markers. I said I hadn't before and actually wanted to give them to her but she wouldn't hear of it.

Anywho, she bought the 6 markers for $25! Holy cow!

Soooooooo, now I'm thinking of putting some sets on my website. Is $25 for a set of 6 markers a good price? Should they all be the same size ring or mixed? UGH! Decisions, decisions...................

Artlady, I love what you did with my little rose bead. I've been so busy working on my "Cymbalism" pendants that I haven't made any of those cuties in a while. I think I'll have to make a bunch to play with.

I think I'm going to put up a gallery on my site with everyone's markers. What do you think? If you want your markers shown, email a nice, clear picture to threesistersbeads@verizon.net and I'll get it going.

Have a wonderful Monday all!

chrislt8
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow that must have made you feel "special" ! and so sweet of the lady to insist on paying you for them. I think $25 is a good price for 6 custom markers - I would want them all the same size rings, and I would want one slightly different to indicate the beginning of a round....

Once I make some beads worthy of it I'll gladly e-mail you pics! Placing an order today for some findings and beads....

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
So I went to the Stitch n' Pitch event at the Tampa Bay Devil Rays game the other night and sat next to a woman who had a pretty crystal stitch marker. Of course, I asked her if she made it. She did and we started to talk about them. I "just happened" to have my markers from this thread in a bag so I pulled them out to show her. We talked more about lampwork beads (she has a friend that also melts glass) and then asked if I sell my markers. I said I hadn't before and actually wanted to give them to her but she wouldn't hear of it.

Anywho, she bought the 6 markers for $25! Holy cow!

Soooooooo, now I'm thinking of putting some sets on my website. Is $25 for a set of 6 markers a good price? Should they all be the same size ring or mixed? UGH! Decisions, decisions...................

Artlady, I love what you did with my little rose bead. I've been so busy working on my "Cymbalism" pendants that I haven't made any of those cuties in a while. I think I'll have to make a bunch to play with.

I think I'm going to put up a gallery on my site with everyone's markers. What do you think? If you want your markers shown, email a nice, clear picture to threesistersbeads@verizon.net and I'll get it going.

Have a wonderful Monday all!

Hi Leslie! :waving:

I think your price is very reasonable!
Same size "jumprings" (or equivalent) for all 6.

Suggestion: Offer a 2 for $____ price; 4 for $____ price; 6 for $____ price; and finally, a 10 for $____ price.

The 10 for $___set should be same size jumpring, but the set could be a mixed bag of bead combinations.

All "sets" should be "same size jumprings" to avoid confusion.

The 2-fer price could be $11.
The 4-fer price could be $18.
The 10-fer price could be $40.

Some folks like to buy a mixed bag.
Some folks just like two of a kind, etc.

Good work! Keep us posted when these pre-made custom stitch markers are up! :thumbsup: I will be keepin' my eye on them! Even though I make my own, yours are just beeeeautiful...and well worth the price!

chrislt8
09-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I've been busy making some new stitch markers and thought I would share them, at the same time as bringing this thread back - seems like a lot of new (or returning) people have been on the board lately and may be interested in ArtLady's "tutorial" (started at post #38)...

I made ten of these in each color (one different to indicate start of round, etc.)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/1397750901_13776d0373_m.jpg
Closeups:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/1397743291_b35378d26b_m.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1141/1397751307_e33b6d12fd_m.jpg
And these
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1169/1397750435_57e48d1030_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/1397748861_56b53086da_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1412/1398640766_8b9bb07496_m.jpg
and sets of these:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1254/1397747023_12f73894da_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1416/1397748315_b26d25a9f7_m.jpg
And finally these:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1222/1397754069_41e8b7089d_m.jpg

Some of these are being gifted and some are for me. The jump rings range so that the small fits up to about a US3, the medium up to US7 and the large up to US10.5. All thanks to this thread that made sense for me out of the complete confusion I had over beading! Thanks everyone :cheering:

robynbird
09-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh I love them all!! What are the clear/white beads with the green crystals? LOVE! Also, where did you find the colored letters? And are those earrings???

Great job!! :cheering:

chrislt8
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh I love them all!! What are the clear/white beads with the green crystals? LOVE! Also, where did you find the colored letters? And are those earrings???

Great job!! :cheering:

Thanks robynbird - they were so much fun to make! I think you are asking about the "square" on top of the green crystals? If so, those are bead caps - they are swarvosky and I got them through Fusionbeads.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/fusionbeads.com)

The "front/back" are to hook onto the knitting (like for sweaters) as I like a quick visual "reassurance" - especially when knitting in the round ;)

robynbird
09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks robynbird - they were so much fun to make! I think you are asking about the "square" on top of the green crystals? If so, those are bead caps - they are swarvosky and I got them through Fusionbeads.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/fusionbeads.com)

The "front/back" are to hook onto the knitting (like for sweaters) as I like a quick visual "reassurance" - especially when knitting in the round ;)

yes, the clear/white squares with the green crystals. Are they called "bead caps" or something else? I would really love to find some. :)

Great idea to use the earrings for hooks. Love that!

chrislt8
09-19-2007, 09:39 PM
They are actually called "squaredelles". Here's (http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/category/4/crystal_beads/) the link to where I go them - scroll down near the end of the page.

robynbird
09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Thank you!! :cheering: OK one more question :) where did you get the colored alphabet beads? I love them but only have been able to locate the white ones.

Thanks!

chrislt8
09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I got those at Michael's ... had to buy a bag (they weren't expensive) of mixed alphabet and then pick out the letters I wanted...don't have a clue what I'll do with all the other letters but someday someone will use them:roflhard:

ArtLady1981
09-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi'ya Chris! :waving:

My o my o my!!! You reallllly made some little beauties!
Kudos! Dontcha just luv 'em!??

I made a set of 12 for my best friend who is also an avid knitter. I put them in a little silk bag with a ribbon drawstring.

I mailed them to her with a card. It is fun to get something in the mail!

chrislt8
09-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks ArtLady - I think you must get 1/2 the credit :teehee:

I was so thrilled to finally find 10mm jump rings and be able to make some for my larger needles:cheering: and needing to make some for a gift motivated me to get mine done:happydance:

rebecca
09-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Oh, I love all of them! As a matter of fact after I received these GORGEOUS http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_GIFTFROMSUZANNE-STMARKERS.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/GIFTFROMSUZANNE-STMARKERS.jpg)
st. markers from a blog contest (along with many, many other goodies!) AND I started thinking, these would be fun to make and i need so many more for socknitting anyway. AND, what do ya know?! My wonderful summer swap partner, Kristin gave me these too perfect for sockshttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/th_SWAPPALSUMMER2007PACKAGETWO2.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/Yarn%20Porn%20and%20Other%20Goodies/SWAPPALSUMMER2007PACKAGETWO2.jpg) st markers(along with so many, many other things..I just feel love & kindness wash over me thinking about the trouble she went to to get/make the perfect items for me!)! Look, there are 6, I'm using both sets on the socks I'm knitting now!
Well, I was talking to Lonnie about these, so we are headed to the bead shop to look for sterling findings (solid, thin jump rings of all sizes) and maybe freshwater pearls and these too cool findings that Kristin found! I feel another addiction, ahem, I mean hobby coming along!
I mean...wouldn't you love to have several of the perfect st markers for all of your needles?! Sounds like perfection to me!! So, as of Sat. when Lonnie and I hit a couple of the bead shops in town...I'll be hopping (well, very carefully climbing aboard, lol:roflhard:) on the stitch marker band wagon!!!! YIPPEE KIYAYAY!!!

panchita
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm feeling inspired. I have so little time to knit. Now I feel like making stitch markers, too! Aack! :hair:

I guess as long as I'm happy and having fun, that's what's important... not productivity... right? right?

ArtLady1981
09-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks ArtLady - I think you must get 1/2 the credit :teehee:

I was so thrilled to finally find 10mm jump rings and be able to make some for my larger needles:cheering: and needing to make some for a gift motivated me to get mine done:happydance:

I think stitch markers just make the BEST gifts ever! :thumbsup:

Yes, it is hard to find the 10mm rings. What size needles do they fit? I can't remember if I have them or not. :pout: I think I do...but maybe not. My biggest jumprings fit up to a size 10 needle barely. They are really best on size 9 and smaller. Then I have a size smaller that are best used on like size 0-6 needles. They don't overlap the neighboring stitch as easy as the bigger jumpring.

AnotherBecca
09-20-2007, 03:29 AM
I'm glad this thread got brought back toward the top! These are just gorgeous!! So much more inspiring than my plain white plastic ones!
Although the last thing I need is another arts & crafts related hobby, I'll now be scouring around for beads & jumprings!
Hey, and this might be a great project for some later meetings of my elementary school afternoon knitting club!
Thanks, ArtLady, for the beautiful inspiration!

chrislt8
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
I think stitch markers just make the BEST gifts ever! :thumbsup:

Yes, it is hard to find the 10mm rings. What size needles do they fit? I can't remember if I have them or not. :pout: I think I do...but maybe not. My biggest jumprings fit up to a size 10 needle barely. They are really best on size 9 and smaller. Then I have a size smaller that are best used on like size 0-6 needles. They don't overlap the neighboring stitch as easy as the bigger jumpring.

Hi ArtLady - the jumprings I found would fit on US11 (barely) but are comfortable on US10.5's. I found them at a local bead shop (about 2 minutes from my office - didn't even know they were there until this thread made me start looking!) and I bought out all they had on hand :roflhard: - they are the same "thickness" as the ones that fit the 0-6 needles you referred me to at fusion beads so I was very happy to stumble on them!

ArtLady1981
09-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm glad this thread got brought back toward the top! These are just gorgeous!! So much more inspiring than my plain white plastic ones!
Although the last thing I need is another arts & crafts related hobby, I'll now be scouring around for beads & jumprings!
Hey, and this might be a great project for some later meetings of my elementary school afternoon knitting club!
Thanks, ArtLady, for the beautiful inspiration!

Hi AnotherBecca! :waving: Thanks for your kind words!

Another nice thing about the custom stitch markers: the embellishments that dangle from the jumpring give it "weight"...and it doesn't "flick off" across the room like plastic stitch markers do! And, if you have several colors of embellishments...they can mark different directions on the row. With cabling, where cables lean left, then lean right...etc...I mark them with different colors to 'REMIND ME' that I need to pay attention to the direction of the cable.

Besides being 'eye candy'...they are very functional little workers!

JamOKnit
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi All!

Made my very first set of custom stitch markers last night! I had gotten a bunch of free beads from a craft swap, and with my 50% off Michaels coupon last weekend, I went and bought three mini tools that I needed as well as headpins and jumprings. So after about an hour of trial and error, I had my first set of 8 markers! It was really a lot of fun to make them and I plan to make more for friends and for myself!

I'll try to get pics up soon! Thanks to everyone who has shared their work here...it inspired me and helped me immensely! :)

hellokitty165
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
mine is hello kitty figurine and some others... will post pic this weekend...

mom232
09-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Beautiful markers and very creative u r!

ArtLady1981
09-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi All!

Made my very first set of custom stitch markers last night! I had gotten a bunch of free beads from a craft swap, and with my 50% off Michaels coupon last weekend, I went and bought three mini tools that I needed as well as headpins and jumprings. So after about an hour of trial and error, I had my first set of 8 markers! It was really a lot of fun to make them and I plan to make more for friends and for myself!

I'll try to get pics up soon! Thanks to everyone who has shared their work here...it inspired me and helped me immensely! :)

Good for you! :cheering: We eagerly await your photos!!! :thumbsup:

chrislt8
09-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Can't wait to see pictures of everyone's new stitch markers! Everytime I see a new set it inspires me to make more :happydance:

Jen17
09-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi Dollyce,,
If you go to Artbead.com they have large soddered jumprings!
Jenifer

hellokitty165
09-21-2007, 08:57 AM
maybe we can do a stitch marker swapping... it would be fun ! what do u think ???

karne
09-21-2007, 09:16 AM
I've been wanting to do some kind of wire/bead work for the longest time. I keep saying, you have enough to do, you have an entire room of yarn and fabric and books and etc you CAN NOT start another craft!!!!!

But if I make something FOR my knitting, it's not really like starting another craft is it? It's just an extension, right?

Will that work? :)

panchita
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I've been wanting to do some kind of wire/bead work for the longest time. I keep saying, you have enough to do, you have an entire room of yarn and fabric and books and etc you CAN NOT start another craft!!!!!

But if I make something FOR my knitting, it's not really like starting another craft is it? It's just an extension, right?

Will that work? :)

Yes. I'm clinging to the same rationale!! Crossed Fingers

astonh
09-21-2007, 10:00 AM
maybe we can do a stitch marker swapping... it would be fun ! what do u think ???

I'm actually doing one right now. I still, however, have to do one more set (been busy with my "Secret Theme" swap here with KH)

That said, it is very fun! You can pick the number of swap partners you have (and that is how many you will also get). A swap of stitch markers consists of a set of five markers.

Unless someone else wants to head the reins on this, I'd love to coordinate this swap for us here on KH!

I still need to post pix of some of my stitch markers I just recently made (my first ones and I love them!).

karne
09-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Just because I'm NOT starting another craft :teehee: I looked in my jewelry box.

Well, let's just say I don't have to purchase beads - Just the hardware!!!! I've bought a lot of jewelry that I never wear, and I think it's because I like the beads. Now, I can take them apart and use the beads in stitch markers and be thrifty.

Is that good or what? :rofl:

hellokitty165
09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
i just wanted to take the pics of my markers... guess what... battery dead :passedout:

JamOKnit
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Oooh! I would love to do a swap! As long as people are not discouraged if they get stitch markers from novices! :)

WandaT
09-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I've been making stitch markers too ... in fact I made several sets from a strand my MIL gave me that broke. This necklace had some beautiful beads on it. I recycled them and made her a set (for her birthday) of stitch markers using those old beads. She was very surprised and delighted! I forgot to take pics of that set, but have several more that I'll share. I have quite a few projects I need to take pics of.

hellokitty165
09-22-2007, 12:59 PM
here is mine... i collected most of them all over the world that i visited... everyone is special to me in many ways..

zebstriped
09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Love your selection HelloKitty165, how beautiful! Here are my latest creations, two sets. I love black and white so that's my usual theme (I know, boring!):

http://media3.dropshots.com/photos/86763/20070826/130356.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/)
http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/86763/20070826/130504.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/)

hellokitty165
09-24-2007, 11:31 AM
wow...i like to made one of yours... cool ... you can add on alot of other stuff... i like your ideas !

Songbirdy
09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Okay this thread has left me in serious stitch marker envy.

My plan to find a local "bead" master has not been fruitful.

Are any of you living in Canada and willing to sell me some? Or willing to post them to me from the States?

I'd prefer some one up here because I always seem to get charged ridiculous fees for parcels I receive from the US.

What I'd really like 6 markers with the larger ring and that the bead attached can slip around easily and is rather short (less than 1 inch).

I don't want anything fancy, nor can I afford super duper fancy :wink: Mostly because I hope to buy myself some Options sooner than later too... I have envy issues! But I can afford to buy and pay shipping on some pretty plain markers.

And I don't mind if none of them are the same.

If you think you would like to help my out of my envy... please PM me! [thank you! and I hope this isn't out of order!]

larudden
09-27-2007, 08:38 AM
I love this thread!

I was inspired yesterday after looking at pictures and decided to make 2 markers for the two log cabin baby afghans I'm currently doing. I'm always obsessing about the right and wrong side so I used some earring wires and made a couple markers and just slipped them through the right side. So cool and sparkly!

I went to Catalina to do an art show a couple of weeks ago and I made a bunch of markers. They were so pretty and I wish that I had taken a picture because there were so many! I sold some and then gave the rest to a woman who has a knitting ministry at her church. What fun!

So, let's do a swap!

karne
09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Love these stitch markers, Leslie!

Hobby Lobby had 30% off jewelry findings so I went and bought some. I decided I didn't want to spend the money on the sterling silver so I bought the cheaper ones.

I didn't like how any of them turned out.

So, Michaels had 40% off sterling silver jewelry findings and I bought some of those. I'm still saving money right? :) I just haven't had time to play with them.

Stay tuned!

larudden
09-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I guess this could be a stitch marker for a giant! I have this huge (3 inch) glass disk that cracked a couple days after I made it but I still couldn't bear to part with it. Sooooooo, this morning, I decided to make a funky thing to hang from the rear view mirror of my car. I can't wait to put in on there and watch it sparkle.

hellokitty165
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Okay this thread has left me in serious stitch marker envy.

My plan to find a local "bead" master has not been fruitful.

Are any of you living in Canada and willing to sell me some? Or willing to post them to me from the States?

I'd prefer some one up here because I always seem to get charged ridiculous fees for parcels I receive from the US.

What I'd really like 6 markers with the larger ring and that the bead attached can slip around easily and is rather short (less than 1 inch).

I don't want anything fancy, nor can I afford super duper fancy :wink: Mostly because I hope to buy myself some Options sooner than later too... I have envy issues! But I can afford to buy and pay shipping on some pretty plain markers.

And I don't mind if none of them are the same.

If you think you would like to help my out of my envy... please PM me! [thank you! and I hope this isn't out of order!]

PM YOU

Songbirdy
09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I just wanted to say an Official Thank You!

Two very kind sweet hearted people have contacted me and I am very grateful.

So... my envy issues are taken care of and my need is no longer! I just wanted to make sure I 'updated' the thread so that you all would know I am grateful.

:aww::heart::aww::hug:

:yay::yay::yay:

Nanaof6
09-29-2007, 11:45 AM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4520/stitchmakers3bn7.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stitchmakers3bn7.jpg)I loved the stitch markers so much I had to try and make my own. I used some beads that I got while over in Europe.http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5313/keepers2yd3.th.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=keepers2yd3.jpg)

karne
09-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Those are so pretty! I started working on mine yesterday but I didn't get to finish. I'll be posting a picture here soon :)

Nanaof6
09-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Just a thought here ....I get alot of my beads from resale shops and second hand stores ,and garage sales. I buy old jewlery and take it apart and recycle the beads. I have gotten some awesome deals on some really nice old vintage glass beads this way.:figureditout:

rebecca
09-29-2007, 03:18 PM
OH, I love all of them!
Such inspiration!
Lonnie and I went to the bead shop last Sat., got several findings, beads, of course, etc. Then back again Thurs and, as a matter of fact, we just got back from another shop in town so we could have a look see at their selection....yep, I'm armed and ready, just have to get a few things completed before I begin with them..I'M SO EXCITED!!

Neveen
09-29-2007, 03:31 PM
so sweet:yay:

misstialouise
09-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I've had a request from a girl in my knitting circle for two sets of markers. One for her and one for a swap partner :D I'll be making them next week, so will post pics once i'm done :D

giedre11
09-30-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't understand why this post has not been made into a sticky?? There's a wealth of info on here and such explicit instructions! Thank you all for all your effort, it is so much appreciated! :muah: Now I'm off to buy all those wonderful findings and beads to try my hand at my own!
BTW, were you aware that there is a major rock and bead show in Tucson, AZ every year? It's like the whole city turns into a rock/bead festival. This year will be our third year to attend. My sweet SO is into faceting and lapidary. He is drooling as we come into "rock" season. The Tucson show actually starts roughly mid January and goes until the end of Feb. but there are many smaller rock/bead shows in the area just prior to that. We are currently in Phoenix {travel nurses} and so, only about a two hour drive from here to there. I will be thinking of all those that make their own stitch markers as I gaze upon {and spend all my money}rows and rows of every type of bead imaginable!

ArtLady1981
10-01-2007, 12:40 AM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4520/stitchmakers3bn7.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stitchmakers3bn7.jpg)I loved the stitch markers so much I had to try and make my own. I used some beads that I got while over in Europe.http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5313/keepers2yd3.th.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=keepers2yd3.jpg)

Hi Nana! :waving: Thanks for sharing your little beauties with us! What a wonderful pile of stitch markers! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
10-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I've had a request from a girl in my knitting circle for two sets of markers. One for her and one for a swap partner :D I'll be making them next week, so will post pics once i'm done :D

Ohhhhh,. be sure to post those pics! :woot: We just loves pics! It is fuel for new ideas! :thumbsup:

astonh
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I just LOVE everyone's stitch markers. They are all so beautiful and every single set I see inspires me to make some more. My first attempts at stitch markers can be seen on my blog. I've got another set to post of pix of but will probably be this weekend before I'm able to get it up. However, I've got a couple pix of my markers up on there in case anyone wants to see my first attempt.

Thanks! Has there been any more discussion/interest in doing a stitch marker exchange? Again, I'd be more than happy to coordinate this if we want to do it!

Happy knitting AND stitch marker making!

Oh...my blog... www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com

astonh
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
While I'm still very willing to coodinate a swap for those of us here on KH, I just wanted to let you know that there IS a Custom Stitch Marker Swap coming SOON at the following link.

We are currently finishing up the most recent one but on the right side of the blog you can click a link to get in on the next swap.

Here's the site: http://thestitchmarkerexchange.blogspot.com/

That said, if you guys want to have a KH swap along these lines, just say the word!

Cheers,
Heather

Mulderknitter
10-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I just wanted to say an Official Thank You!

Two very kind sweet hearted people have contacted me and I am very grateful.

So... my envy issues are taken care of and my need is no longer! I just wanted to make sure I 'updated' the thread so that you all would know I am grateful.

:aww::heart::aww::hug:

:yay::yay::yay:
I just hit this thread and am glad you got some support for your envy issues! If you can't find a local bead store maybe you could try michael's or joann's online? I don't know if you have that in canada? If you don't there are always some of us that don't mind shopping for others:woot:

ecb
10-02-2007, 09:39 PM
My biggest jumprings fit up to a size 10 needle barely. They are really best on size 9 and smaller. Then I have a size smaller that are best used on like size 0-6 needles. They don't overlap the neighboring stitch as easy as the bigger jumpring.

I use the 2" beading Pins, and wrap the tail of the pin around a metal needle a size bigger than the person would be using to knit with. You CAN use them on any needle smaller if you want.
so I can make stitch markers for anything from a size 1 to a 15 (I never did make any smaller than a size 8 though)
I have even made some with a large ring on one end, and a smaller one on the other end of the bead. the lady I made these for works at the Post Office, and had never seen a reason to use them, I hope having a set helps her to understand the attraction to them. For myself I make a TON at once, then give them away or sell them for about $10 a set (pays for the semi precious stones I make mine with)

JamOKnit
10-02-2007, 09:44 PM
The picture came out kinda blurry (and upside down :teehee:), but here's my first attempt at stitch markers...I made them for my secret theme swappee!
I got the beads at a local craft swap and bought head pins and the jumprings at Michaels.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Diana74/Knitting%20projects/stitchmarkers1.jpg

ArtLady1981
10-03-2007, 05:59 AM
The picture came out kinda blurry (and upside down :teehee:), but here's my first attempt at stitch markers...I made them for my secret theme swappee!
I got the beads at a local craft swap and bought head pins and the jumprings at Michaels.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Diana74/Knitting%20projects/stitchmarkers1.jpg

Hi Jam! Nice beads! Luv 'em! Using gold is a pretty touch! Thanks for sharing your artwork with us!

mks22300
10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I've gotten the stitch marker bug too and have made several, just haven't gotten around to take pictures of them, except my recently made ones. They were made specially for my partner in the Secret Swap (can't reveal who just yet). It's not that easy getting a nice detailed picture of stitch markers. I used toggles that I got from AC Moore and the charms and gem stone chips were purchased from ebau stores, the beads on the the charms were ones that I had on hand, probably from Michaels.

angel4ever
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
^^^Those stitch markers are really pretty. You guys are totally talented! :star::star::star:

ADAllen
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Wow I love those Celtic knot looking ones! I made some for my last swap partner, (tea themed) but I couldn't get good pictures so I didn't post them.

ArtLady1981
10-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi'ya mks22300! :waving: Thanks for sharing the photos with us! Very cute stitch markers! I agree with ADAllen...the celtic knots are just great!

mks22300
10-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks everybody!

Marj
10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm glad someone brought this thread back up.

I just joined this forum the other day after a year of lurking. I've been wanting a chance to thank Artlady for the inspiration to make my own stitch markers.

I've wanted some since seeing them on eBay but I am too cheap to pay those prices. So with Artlady's tutorial and everyone's pictures I decided to try it out myself.

As with most things I try out I can become obsessed so I've made quite a few(or more) of them. They are by no means expert but I like them.

I try to do them on the cheap so I don't use sterling silver findings, just regular metal ones and not so expensive beads. Buut I like how they turned out.

I will add a link to my Photobucket album where I have them pictured. There are about 20 or so pictures which is why I didn't just add the pictures here. Hopefully you will be able to see them. Let me know if you can't.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z27/Marjorie99/Stitch%20Markers/?start=all

Thank you Artlady.

Marjorie