PDA

View Full Version : First crochet EVER!!

knitqueen
07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm branching out!! Bought myself a learn to crochet kit with birthday money from my MIL. I've been knitting for about 3 years now and have been feeling like a new challenge is in order. So far so good, I've learned single, half double, double and triple crochet stitches. Here's my first, a flower! :woohoo:

robynbird
07-27-2007, 09:24 PM
GREAT job!!!

Riss
07-27-2007, 09:44 PM
With that set of stitches... you can literally make ANYTHING. The only time i've needed to do a stitch any larger than a treble crochet is when you're making doilies with thread...

Good luck with your crocheting... and your little flower looks awesome!

--Riss

willowangel
07-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Yay well done! You've done it really well - it's very even :-) and the yarn's pretty, take a look at

http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/beltane06/maidensglory.htm

for what you can do with the flowers :-) I made one of these for the Beltane fire festival in Edinburgh, got lots of compliments ;-)

larudden
07-28-2007, 07:44 AM
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
Great Job!

I love making flowers! There are so many different ways to use them!

Dishcloths work up real fast in crochet too! Grab some cotton and go! I do them sometimes with a different stitch on every row. It's great practice. (works for scarves too!)

Thanks for sharing!

EssenceRose
07-28-2007, 09:27 AM
well done! It's so even! My first crochet attempt was awful and lopsided. LOL You should be very proud of yourself! :yay:

wildforyarn
07-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Great job! My first crochet attempt (before I started knitting) was just to do a simple chain and when I was done it was supposed to be like 6 inches long or something like that and mine was 1.5 inches long. I was so frustrated I took on knitting instead. Maybe now that I understand yarn and needles a little more I should give it a go. I love the flower! The yarn is pretty too! Way to go! :cheering:

Miss Kittie
07-28-2007, 12:01 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/bravo.gif Great job for your first crochet..
Be proud.
By the way love your flower...

knitqueen
07-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Sara (wildforyarn), I definitely think that having knitting under my belt already gives me a good head start on understanding crochet. You should give it another try!

SusanMarie1956
07-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Knit Queen,

That looks good! But I have a question for you. Did that crochet kit really help? Or did you already know some of it?

Susan

knitqueen
07-29-2007, 11:29 PM
The kit helps a lot! I knew nothing before. It doesn't help so much with how to read actual crochet patterns with all the abbreviations and all that, but with good concise directions on all the basic stitches and techniques it has been great!

Krystal
07-30-2007, 12:39 AM
I think you may have just inspired me to learn to crochet.

But first I need to finish my endless list of knitting items, else I should never finish them.

But seeing that flower gave me endless design possibilities. great job!

Songbirdy
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Looks awesome!

There are lots of wonderful things you can do with crochet and for ages I only ever knew double crochet.

I hope you have fun! Just think of all the fun things you can do with yarn now!

remclave
07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Congrats! Lovely flower:muah:Can't wait to see what else you create.

Yay well done! You've done it really well - it's very even :-) and the yarn's pretty, take a look at

http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/beltane06/maidensglory.htm

for what you can do with the flowers :-) I made one of these for the Beltane fire festival in Edinburgh, got lots of compliments ;-)
Willow, I've been looking for just such patterns. Thank you for sharing.:heart:

IBAmyB
07-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Good job! That flower is so pretty!

I have tried crocheting, but my tension is always way off! (One stitch too tight, the next too loose!)

wildforyarn
08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks KnitQueen! I think I will give it another try. When I finally finish all of my UFOs! :)