PDA

View Full Version : New Video

Nobones
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd just like to tell people I have a new video on my blog and would love some feedback.

Hope you like it. :muah:

http://diaryofacraftaddict-nobones.blogspot.com/

meearnol
07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
That's a great tutorial! Thanks for doing those. I've been looking for a good way to learn tatting, and all the other resources I've found have been fantastically confusing. With the help of your videos I may just build up the confidence to try it. :happydance:

Keep up the great work!

DQ
07-29-2007, 12:37 PM
You make it look so easy! :shock:

IBAmyB
07-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Great job! :cheering:

Tatting is such a beautiful craft! Thank you for such lovely instructional videos! :yay:

I love the bookmark you made for your husband! The colors are gorgeous!

(I also peeked at your other You Tube videos.... The one with the kitten drinking from the bottle is so cute! I remember when my cat was that small - we found him when he was only 5 weeks old - and we had to bottle feed him! He's now 3 yrs old and big 20 lbs! :shock:)

threesmom
07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
That bookmark is stunning, Nobones!

And I thought your video was quite clear - even without seeing all of lesson 1, I could get a grip on what you were doing. I might even try it ... that is once I work through some of this yarn.:teehee:

Limey
07-31-2007, 04:32 AM
You make it look so easy! :shock:

Doesn't she just?

I'd heard of Tatting but never really got round to finding out what it was until now.

Those videos are absolutely brilliant - they made it so easy to follow. Could you tell me, please, Where I'd be able to buy the shuttles?

All the Best

Cia
07-31-2007, 05:02 AM
I never heard of tatting before (in swedish it's called "frivolitet") but it looks so wonderful!
I'm rather interested in most crafts but I never got around to learning how to make lace since the only way I knew to make it was with one of those big pillows and lots of bobbins :eyes:, and quite frankly I neither have money nor space for that... but tatting actually looks doable, especially with the help of your videos!! :cheering:

DQ
07-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Doesn't she just?

I'd heard of Tatting but never really got round to finding out what it was until now.

Those videos are absolutely brilliant - they made it so easy to follow. Could you tell me, please, Where I'd be able to buy the shuttles?

All the Best

I'm sure I've seen shuttles in my 'l'ys in Ormskirk. So maybe try yours? Hobbycraft might sell them too.

Nobones
07-31-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm thrilled you like my video. Tatting IS easy once you get the hang of it.

You can get shuttles in Hobby craft, they are a bit pricey though.

Limey I've pm you so see what you think!

Cia
07-31-2007, 11:13 AM
It seems tatting has died out in Sweden... I went out trying to find a shuttle, then I googled it trying to find a store that sold them, seems tatting isn't all that popular here. Well, I amn't one for giving up so I made a shuttle in cardboard. Yeah it sounds horrid, and it does look rather ugly and I'm sure a real one is better... but it did work! I mananged to do a ring with it! So now I've made one in cardboard that's a bit sturdier and have bought some crocheting yarn and will try this out more thoroughly...:woohoo:

Nobones
07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
That's great! I know a lot of people who make their own, so well done.

Are you an Ebay user? You can shuttles and thread on there and the have some fantastic deals. Just type in 'tatting' in the Ebay search.

Good luck with the tatting, send me pictures!

Stonington
07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd just like to tell people I have a new video on my blog and would love some feedback.

Hope you like it. :muah:

http://diaryofacraftaddict-nobones.blogspot.com/

Nobones-
Thank you so much! :cheering: I just shared your site with a friend who works in the next office. We were just talking about trying tatting! The videos are great--and we both love :heart: listening to you talk.. the accent is wonderful to hear.

anne
sebago, me

1to1
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh that is so cool!! My dad just ask me this weekend if I knew how to do tatting. I told him it was on my list of things to learn. My gramma used to put tatting on pillowcases, handkerchiefs, etc.

DD12 and I learn something new every year 2004-piano, 2005-knitting, 2006-crocheting, 2007-socks, maybe 2008-tatting?

My LYS has classes on tatting and I'm pretty sure she still has supplies. I saved your website and I sure appreciate your time and thoughtfulness in sharing your talent.:cheering::cheering::notworthy::yay::yay:

walmin22
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Great job. Now I want to learn! But it will have to wait. Just learned how to knit. And I have to learn how to crochet so I can finish a blanket I'm working on. Thanks again for the videos.

Cia
08-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Are you an Ebay user? You can shuttles and thread on there and the have some fantastic deals. Just type in 'tatting' in the Ebay search.

Thanks for the suggestion... but... well I think e-bay seems kinda scary, ordering things from people who you don't know wether they are honest or not, and then it'd probably become a small fortune just from shipping the shuttle...
Well, a friend of mine who lives in india did say he'd try to find me one though, seems tatting is still alive there.

Well I do have a question, when you make a ring, or a loop, you pull in the end of the thread that isn't attatched to the shuttle, you pull in the "tail", not? Then if you'd like to make two rings together, without having a big distance in between, how would you do that?

Nobones
08-01-2007, 06:28 AM
If you can wait I'll be covering that on the weekend.

But it's the shuttle thread you pull to make the stitch not the ball thread.

Something that will be handy for tatting is a fine crochet hook, one of the smallest if possible. I'll show you why on the weekend!

Cia
08-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Then I must be doing something wrong, because if I pull the shuttle thread it only tighten up the last stitch so much that it can't move at all, and the only way to make my rings close is by pulling the ball thread... any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

ETA:

I figured out what I do wrong, the yarn is to make a noise and the shuttle thread is to go under, kinda, and then the stitch is done... seems I didn't complete my stitches...
For now it takes forever to do the stitches right, but I guess it will become easier with time.

gargoylelib
08-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Cia,

I am in Finland. I have several tatting shuttles I got from
the U.S. several years ago. They are just simple Boye
metal tatting shuttles like this (http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=8135). I would be happy to send you one as
I have some going spare. No charge :) I doubt shipping a
small object like this from Finland to Sweden would cost
very much. You can pm me your address if you want it.
Libbie

TxCynDoll
08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
I have been learning Cro tat...I have an old shuttle from my mother a long time ago...looked at tatted books and just couldn't get it...but your video helps so much... thanks for making it...I will have to find that shuttle now and give it a try...

Nobones
08-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm thrilled it has helped some people pick up shuttles and give it a try.

Thank you for all the nice comments.

Silver
09-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Hey Nobones! With help from your videos, I learned to tat! I'm working on a doily right now, and will post pix soon.

newwooley
09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Awesome video and the bookmark and the bridal ring are beautiful. I taught myself to tat and watched your video in the process of learning. Some ladies on Crochetville were also a big help. Thanks for sharing!

Nobones
09-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Ohhh Well done! Thrilled to have been any kind of help and look forward to seeing your piccies.

Here is a link to a place where you can find patterns and supplies;

http://www.tatting.co.uk/cgi-bin/linklist.cgi

If you contact 'The ring of tatters' they can put you in touch with someone near to you who tat's. We have groups all over the world.

Good luck, I'll be making a new video over the weekend.

Silver
09-26-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm looking forward to you new video Nobones. :)

Here's a couple pix...
This one shows my very first attempts and progress, minus the ball of knotted string I made first. :teehee:

http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/other-crafts/image/425/DSC00894.JPG

This is what I'm working on now. I'm making this doily (http://www.be-stitched.com/momspinkdoily.asp), but I think since I'm using a thicker thread, it's going to be way bigger than her 9" doily. :doh:

http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/other-crafts/image/425/DSC00896.JPG

I think my picots are way too big though. What do you think Nobones? :shrug:

Nobones
09-26-2007, 10:25 AM
That's your first go! :thud: Is there anything you can't do?

I think it looks lovely, it doesn't matter about using thicker or thinner thread, if the piece comes out a little bigger it's fine. I think the the picots are dine, I'm impressed by joins to. Picots are a matter of preference, and I like yours, you've got them coming out the same size, which still find hard to do.

You work your ends in just like knitting, although for that your going to need either a very fine crochet hook, or a sewing needle with an eye large enough for your thread.

You've done a lovely job, well done.

Silver
09-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Thank you Nobones!! I just got to it and worked hard until I figured out what I was doing. I'm not real sure on how to properly join a new piece of thread, but I improvised. I hope you make a video of that too. :)