PDA

View Full Version : I got invited!

willowangel
07-29-2007, 04:24 PM
To Ravelry *grin* I'm so happy... it's so much more intricate than I thought, I'm really looking forward to exploring. Only thing is, my bloke and his brother were in the room when I got the invite and were a bit confused by my incoherent babblings while I waited for words to come back to me ...

Eeep! Off to explore again....

cecile77
07-29-2007, 06:28 PM
:cheering: You'll have to tell us how the whole process goes for you. I can't wait to hear feedback!

angel4ever
07-29-2007, 06:55 PM
You're so lucky...

I still have 6664 ahead of me...:pout::pout::pout:

At any rate, enjoy!!! :balloons:

chrislt8
07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh I am :mrgreen: 3044 in front of me... ENJOY and post your experience!

miccisue
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Forgive my stupidity, but what is Ravelry?:??

BinkyKat
07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Found you!

You signed up on Today
You are #21575 on the list.
14121 people are ahead of you in line.
0 people are behind you in line.
33% of the list has been invited so far
:oops:

willowangel
07-29-2007, 08:56 PM
So far it's been fantastic - really easy to use and so much potential! My only problem is that I've been using photobucket and really like it, but Ravelry is meshed with Flickr. At the moment I'm adding in my projects, I've joined a million groups (almost!) including the, and how glad I was to see this, KH group, and caught up on the news.

I think it's one of those sites that could be overwhelming when you start - I've got a lot of projects to add and a lot of pictures to take, but I think once you're past the initial process then it'll be really fun and intuitive to use. It's definitely inspiring me to work more on my projects and I'm loving the pattern search.

But still, nothing will take the place of KH for me. I've got a lot to trawl though on Ravelry, but I'll keep you all updated with my progress *grin*

Take care everyone,
Fi xxx

P.S. Anyone who's on Ravelry got any feedback about what it's like to talk about your business on it? There's quite a few intimidatingly good personalities on it that I feel very out of my depth next to, and I'm sure tons of people are doing the same thing as me, so I'm a little hesitant about talking about selling stitch markers and hand-dyed yarns and needle cases etc, but still it's a big part of my knitting life... oh I don't know! Argh!

Jan in CA
07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I sent them an email asking about photos sites and got a reply that said they hope to add more. I specifically wanted to use Picasa Albums. Congrats! I hope I get my invite this decade! :roflhard:

ETA: 2793 in front of me as of 7/30.

miccisue
07-30-2007, 08:20 AM
But what is it???????????

Julie
07-30-2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.ravelry.com (http://www.ravery.com)

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Typo Julie :) ..it's:

www.ravelry.com

It sounded like the woodstock of the knitting world and a 'meet-in-real-time-' thing. I assume it is one mighty yarn and craft expo site - ultimately. Why do people need to be 'invited' however? Is it to simply stop servers crashing or..?

dustinac
07-30-2007, 09:35 AM
yeah, it's what their servers can handle... they are starting this up themselves Casey and Jess...they say they are inviting about 1200 a week right now but "I'm not sure if we'll be able to go much faster until we move out of our baby beta environment and into our Grown Up datacenter with our real servers. " ~taken from their latest post on ravelry's home page....

I like that you can keep track of your wips and fos...I love the queue and favorites... I also like the idea of keeping track of your stash although I still have some I need to enter...I wish I liked flickr better though...:teehee:

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 09:47 AM
dustinac.. I'm always fascinated that people are so encouraged to do something if it's online. Like, I've often thought of writing a list out in excel or similar as to what I have in stash and never have. Yet, the carrot on an online environment often seems to encourage the activity. :)

HamaLee
07-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I just looked myself up and there are 144 people in line ahead of me...does this mean I might get my invite this week?? OOOHhhh....how exciting! :woohoo::cheering::yay:

Stiney
07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Typo Julie :) ..it's:

www.ravelry.com (http://www.ravelry.com)

It sounded like the woodstock of the knitting world and a 'meet-in-real-time-' thing. I assume it is one mighty yarn and craft expo site - ultimately. Why do people need to be 'invited' however? Is it to simply stop servers crashing or..?

They are still in beta-mode. Most beta-sites use invite-systems. The server thing is part of it, but it's also easier to deal with bugs in the system when you control the size of the population.

Mulderknitter
07-30-2007, 11:39 AM
oooohhh!
5168 people are ahead of you in line.
I guess I might not get my invite any time soon:pout:

Julie
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/smilies/loser.gif

seriously...it's so worth the wait. :)

Knit Mom
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
12000+ in front of me, See you at Ravelry around St. Patty's day :wall:

willowangel
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
It's a great way to see who else is doing the same things you are - you can ask for help, search for patterns, look for yarns, advertise yourself, join groups, organise yourself, help others, all kinds of things :-)

Eloewien
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I checked it out under my friend's login- it's really really cool!!

knitwit628
07-30-2007, 01:24 PM
578 people ahead of me in line.... So, if they send out 1200 invites a week does that mean I will get my invite in a couple days? I sure hope so!

Silver
07-30-2007, 01:51 PM
It's a great way to see who else is doing the same things you are - you can ask for help...
This is my favorite thing about Ravelry. How many of us go Googling the particular pattern we're working on and look at site after site of people who are knitting the same thing? Or spend an hour looking for just one person working on it?

On Ravely, you click ONE LINK and you can instantly see everyone else who's knitting the same thing. You can see FO,s WIP, and even abandoned projects. And if you're the pattern author, even better.. you can see who's knitting your stuff. There's already 23 people who have or are knitting from my Silver Sock Tutorial.

The site is still in Beta and yet it's still so full of users it's completely useful even now. Once it goes live and opens to everyone, it's going to explode with tons of people working on the same thing you are.

I LOVE RAVELRY! It's such a wonderful tool for knitters, Casey and Jess are going to be millionaires.

dustinac
07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree... I could make an excel sheet to hold all my info and I have one started somewhere... but on ravelry I get to see what everyone else is knitting.. I can search a pattern and like Silver said one link to see everyone's... that way I get to see how different yarns can be used or the best colors... You can mark items to your favorite.. no more links to go through.. they are all right there for me.... I can add patterns to my queue and pull it up with just one click... although that seems to be growing faster than I can knit... it's really neat to see the designers on the site and see what they are knitting...:thumbsup:

I do wish they had a way to see how many have viewed your items... I think that would be neat.. I like seeing that on flickr :teehee:

Kaydee
07-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I have 1493 people ahead of me, last time I checked I had over 3000. That's somewhat encouraging, right?

RachelJean
07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Found you!

You signed up on June 8, 2007
You are #7756 on the list.
568 people are ahead of you in line.
13716 people are behind you in line.
33% of the list has been invited so farThere's something about this that confuses me. If I am #7756 on the list, doesn't that mean there are 7755 people ahead of me??? :shrug: :??:??

Julie
07-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes, 7755 people are ahead of you, but 7187 of those have already been invited.

(I think)

HamaLee
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I JUST GOT MY INVITE!!!!
WOOOOO!!!!

I'm so excited...I haven't even signed up, I had to celebrate here first! Plus I'm at work...oh man, I can't wait to start wasting all kinds of time on this.:eyes:

Oh yeah, I'm HamaLee on there too. :thumbsup:

1to1
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
You signed up on June 19, 2007
You are #10030 on the list.
2639 people are ahead of you in line.
11730 people are behind you in line.

I can't wait!!

You guys are so lucky. I wish I would have signed up when I first read about it. Oh well, it will be great to see what is already happening.

figaro
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I just checked again today and I have 122 people in front of me!:woohoo:

ADAllen
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
You signed up on June 19, 2007
You are #10030 on the list.
2639 people are ahead of you in line.
11730 people are behind you in line.

I can't wait!!

You guys are so lucky. I wish I would have signed up when I first read about it. Oh well, it will be great to see what is already happening.
I'm two people behind you... you must have quicker fingers than me :P

Snugglebugmom
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
12000+ in front of me, See you at Ravelry around St. Patty's day :wall:

Me too!

You signed up on July 18, 2007
You are #18391 on the list.
10780 people are ahead of you in line.
3686 people are behind you in line.
33% of the list has been invited so far:verysad:
Oh well.. by the time we get in, they will have ironed out the kinks and all these lovely ladies here will be able to tell us exactly how to go about stuff! It's going to come in handy having some experts close by!

figaro
08-01-2007, 08:56 AM
:woohoo:I got it this morning, still checking it out, I am hoping that this will inspire me to knit more:X:

Oh and of course I am figaro over there too!

angel4ever
08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
My updated status...

You signed up on July 5, 2007
You are #14195 on the list.
6518 people are ahead of you in line.
8011 people are behind you in line.

SOOOOO many people ahead of me :pout::pout::pout:, but I know it will be worth the wait :angelgrin:

PaperGirl
08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Dont forget when you get in to join our KH group!

Susan P.
08-01-2007, 11:35 PM
What do you folks see as the real advantage or 'pull' of this site? Is it the advice or the freebees or projects or..?

I'm really curious as this is quite a phenomenal response.

Eekee
08-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I've got 4140 ahead of me. Let's MOVE IT people! :)

GinnyG
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
You signed up on July 12, 2007
You are #15906 on the list.
8098 people are ahead of you in line.
6554 people are behind you in line.
:tap: I'll NEVER make it :waah:

Silver
08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
What do you folks see as the real advantage or 'pull' of this site? Is it the advice or the freebees or projects or..?

I'm really curious as this is quite a phenomenal response.
I answered this in the other thread too, but my favorite thing is that you can click on one link to see everyone else who's working on the same thing you are. You can see their pix, the yarn they're using, any comments, or errata. It's a great feature and the number one draw for me. No more searching on google to find other people knitting what you're knitting. Everyone is in one place! :thumbsup:

knitwit628
08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
only 235 people in front of me! :) do they send invites on saturday and sunday too? if not, i will be getting mine next week

Friskums
08-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I answered this in the other thread too, but my favorite thing is that you can click on one link to see everyone else who's working on the same thing you are. You can see their pix, the yarn they're using, any comments, or errata. It's a great feature and the number one draw for me. No more searching on google to find other people knitting what you're knitting. Everyone is in one place! :thumbsup:
Honestly, if it were nothing more than THAT, this site would still be incredibly useful. That feature is probably the main reason I love it so much and keep going back.

But it's that, plus so much more.