PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Question

Sharly
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Okay, It is slowly starting to sink in that I need to stop buying acrylic yarn. Unfortunately, it is readily available and not much else is!

I have started a scarf using this (http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=ea81c137bf22f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCR D&rsc=related) pattern, and the scarf is curling inward. Unfortunately, I am using acrylic yarn and wondered if there are any fixes for this. I have been reading and see that blocking is not an option.

Any suggestions?

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Are you knitting a stockinette pattern i.e. one row of knit, one row of purl? This always curls. Most people generally put a border on the sides to prevent that. Garter or seed stitch etc. If you hate the curl you can either undo and start again and use a different stitch or consider adding a border to the sides when completed. That means more work probably than undoing what you have done.

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I only just opened the link. So you've already done a garter stitch border and it's still curling. If you've doing the same dimensions as the scarf in the image I can only suggest you try a different border edge stitch rather than garter. You did do the garter I am assuming :)

Sharly
07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi Susan - thanks for replying. :)

I am doing the pattern as written. Ugh! :eyes:

Do you think a wider garter stitch border would alleviate the problem? And, if I was using wool instead, would that pretty much assure it would lay flat - or respond to blocking, at least?

Hey - at least I'm gaining experience!!

minkoo
07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
If you already have the yarn, why not use it for a pattern that doesn't curl as much?
This one looks pretty easy
http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm

If there's nothing in your area you can order lots online. I like acrylic for somethings but what I really love most is wool.

Sharly
07-30-2007, 11:33 AM
If you already have the yarn, why not use it for a pattern that doesn't curl as much?

If there's nothing in your area you can order lots online. I like acrylic for somethings but what I really love most is wool.

Thanks Minkoo - that looks like a good solution. And it looks good for a man or woman - (I'm making the scarf for a charity project). I was debating starting over with wool, though.

I'm getting a little disheartened about all the frogging I've been doing lately. :frog:

I'm going to a different craft store this afternoon (no lys around here), so maybe they have more to choose from. I just need to remember - no more acrylic!!:doh:

I think I'll take all my acrylics I have on hand and make some kitty beds :)

Sharly
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
[quote=minkoo;920161]If you already have the yarn, why not use it for a pattern that doesn't curl as much?
quote]

Hi! I just wanted to update that I finished the scarf using the pattern Minkoo suggested. It turned out great and doesn't curl at all! You can see it in this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showpost.php?p=934936&postcount=18) post :)

Thanks again for the help!!

Constant Knitter
08-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi:

I've been purusing the site looking for an answer to my 'curling' problem, and I found your question.

I use a great deal of Red Heart acrylic yarn as it's inexpensive, and I'm still a novice knitter, but I have a problem with the items curling at the bottom.

I completed a great [easy] pattern for a toddler sweater, but the curling makes it look shorter. I was wondering if I could somehow press the bottom of the sweater without crushing the stitches? Or should I add a border as recommended?

Thanks for the help..

suzeeq
08-19-2007, 02:42 PM
You could use a steam iron, only hold the iron above the sweater and steam block it. The other thing that causes curling is tight tension. Even if you're getting gauge, I find that things knit densely may curl more than looser knit things.

Sharly
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey Constant Knitter!

I hope this thread is helpful to you. The people here are very knowledgeable and willing to help. I hope you can work out the issue you are having with their help;)

Constant Knitter
08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks Sharly: I love this site - and the advice is invaluable. I'm now attempting a jumper for my niece and of course the curling issue, as with the sweater, is plaguing me. I woke up one morning thinking about it and decided I needed professional help, so I came right to this site. It's nice to know there are so many talented knitters out there that are generous enough to help beginners like me.

Suzeeq:
Thanks for the advice. I'll try steam only without applying the iron to the stitches. And you're right: my knitting can also be tight, so I've been careful to check the gauge every few rows keeping it in line with my swatch. I never thought a gauge swatch would be so vital to a finished project, but I'm learning. Thanks again for the advice.

Sharly
08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks Sharly: I love this site - and the advice is invaluable. I'm now attempting a jumper for my niece and of course the curling issue, as with the sweater, is plaguing me. I woke up one morning thinking about it and decided I needed professional help, so I came right to this site. It's nice to know there are so many talented knitters out there that are generous enough to help beginners like me.

You are so welcome! I sure have received a lot of help here!!

minkoo
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
That's great! I'm so glad I was able to help :)