PDA

View Full Version : Casting On 400 sts....

bailsmom
07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
How would you suggest I go about doing this??? I want to make the Skinny scarf from Knitty Gritty but I don't have the slightest clue as to how to go about gauging the right amount of yarn to cast on.

Granted I don't need to do 400, I was thinking of making it only 300!!

I use the long-tail cast on with all of my knitting so far, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a different kind of cast on.....thanks for any help!!

Jan in CA
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I would probably do long tail because it's so fast. I usually wrap the yarn around the needle 10 times (leaving a tail) and then see how much that is. Then I estimate counting by tens that amount.

You could use the knitted CO instead though so you don't have to worry about running out of yarn, because that is a huge PITA! :teehee:
The video is about halfway down the page and it's called "knitting on".http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/../basic_techniques/index.php)

Silver
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, you could do a knitted cast on or...
You can wrap the needle 50 times, multiply by 6 and that will give you a good estimate or...
You can take out a length about 3 or 4 times the length of the scarf and that's a good estimate too or...
You can use two different balls of yarn for the long tail cast on. Use one for each side of the V when you cast on.
HTH! :)

mrspotter-tru
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
It might be faster to do a thumb cast on, you just have to be careful of the first row of knit, it can be loose. You might also want to try knitting cast on (Amy has a video). I would also place markers like every 50 stitches just so I can keep track. I always lose count.

mintdee
07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
For that many stitches I normally do the knitted cast on and place a stitch marker every 20 stitches (more or less depending how many kids are near me) so that I don't lose count. I always end up miss counting a stitch and end up having to count a couple of times. So not fun.

And don't worry about gauge for a scarf. That really only matters if you are making an item where size matters
Hope this helps!

bailsmom
07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Would doing the knitted cast on be a loose st or is it a tighter st??

I'm a tight knitter btw. :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply ladies!!

Silver
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
It would be tight. Use a larger needle to make it a bit looser. It's a good method to cast on, but will take a long time. :( Ive I were you, I'd wrap the needle 50 or 100 times to estimate how much yarn it will take. Multiply it, then add another yard or so and you'll be good to go.

dustinac
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
When I made this I used the knitted cast on and went up a needle size... I also placed pms every 50sts... it was very fast to knit... the binding off was :zombie::zombie:....when you get to that point just pick out a good movie and enjoy it while you bind off the sts...:teehee:

bailsmom
07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
When I made this I used the knitted cast on and went up a needle size... I also placed pms every 50sts... it was very fast to knit... the binding off was :zombie::zombie:....when you get to that point just pick out a good movie and enjoy it while you bind off the sts...:teehee:

Oh my. :doh: I completely forgot about the binding off part!!!!!:eyes:

Silver
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Do a crochet bind off. It looks exactly the same as a regular bind off, but way faster. Check the bind off videos. :)

mshelton
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Silver's recommendation for using two balls of yarn is what I plan on using next time I have a lot to cast on. Fast and you don't have to worry about running out of tail.

bailsmom
07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Well, you could do a knitted cast on or...
You can wrap the needle 50 times, multiply by 6 and that will give you a good estimate or...
You can take out a length about 3 or 4 times the length of the scarf and that's a good estimate too or...
You can use two different balls of yarn for the long tail cast on. Use one for each side of the V when you cast on.
HTH! :)

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what you mean by the "V". :shrug:

redwitch
07-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Yep try two strands, they can both be from the same ball if you want. When you cast on you make the two strands into a V shape, one for each side.

bailsmom
07-31-2007, 10:04 AM
I guess I'll have to do the knitted cast on cause I still don't get what you mean by the "V" thing. I'm more of a visual person so I'd have to see it done in person. But thanks for the suggestion.

Silver
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Does this help? :)

McKnitty
07-31-2007, 02:55 PM
I saw Knitty Gritty yesterday and Lily Chin was on giving 'tips and tricks'. She is a knitting genius! She had so many great tips.

She said if you are doing a long tail cast on and run out of yarn, just continue with a purl cast on. When you do a long tail cast on, one side looks like purl bumps, so work from that side and purl a stitch, but slip it back on to the left needle and keep doing that until you have the number of cast on stitches that you need.

I hope this makes sense. I had never seen a purl cast on, so it was exciting to watch her demonstrate it. I haven't checked, but surely there is a demo out there somewhere on the net.

I wish I had known about this sooner, because all I ever knew to do was take the yarn off the needle and start over, which is not fun!

bailsmom
07-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Does this help? :)

Kind of....:?? Does Amy have a video on it???

purlwise
08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Since I am no math wiz, I would probably cast on 50 stiches and mark my yarn, then take it out. You could then measure that length of yarn on a yard stick 8 times and you should have about the right lenght, right?

And definitely use use markers every 20 or 25 stiches when you finally do cast on your 400! Good luck!

dustinac
08-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Do a crochet bind off. It looks exactly the same as a regular bind off, but way faster. Check the bind off videos. :)

:doh:

Silver
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Kind of....:?? Does Amy have a video on it???
She has a video of the long tail cast on, but I don't think she has one using two different strands. But it's the same cast on. Just tie a slip knot around the other strand and hold the two sides as you would for a normal long tail cast on. I wish I was there to show you.. it's pretty easy once you get started. :)