PDA

View Full Version : any doctors here?

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 04:13 PM
i am a nursing mom, my dd is almost 16 months. in order to get pregnant, i had to take parlodel to lower my prolactin levels enought to have a normal cycle. (pre pregnancy they were at around 190) my question is, i know parlodel will lower or stop my milk supply, but, i am wondering if it has any side affects to my dd? as in, if she continues to nurse while i take this, is that bad for her? i can't seem to find any info... tia

jcmom
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I had a couple spare minutes and did a search on Parlodel. Went to a site called healthsquare.com. The info there says don't take it while breastfeeding.
You may want to read the info yourself.
Nope, I'm not a doc

stitchwitch
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Why not give a quick jingle to her pediatrician and your OB/GYN? They'd be the ones to ask for sure and be able to set your mind at ease or point you towards the correct thing to do.

Jeremy
07-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Or your pharmacist.

zkimom
07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Jean,

I'm not a doctor (don't play one on tv either :eyes:) but I am a former LLL Leader. Is there a lactation consultant or LLL (La Leche League) leader you can get in contact with? Many docs are not that up on the effects of drugs on breastmilk and will simply look up what class of drug you are taking and whether or not their PDN lists it as safe for nursing. However, most LLL Leaders or Lactation Consultants have access to a wonderful reference written and researched by a clinical pharmacologist, Thomas Hale, Ph.D. which gives much more specific information about nursing and medications such as how long a drug remains in breastmilk after you have taken it.

You can find out about him here: Thomas Hale, Ph.D (http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/html/tom_hale.html)and here. (http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/lact/index.html)

I would highly recommend finding an LC or LLL Leader with access to Dr. Hale's book. Or ask your doc if he/she has access to it.

Best,
Susan

threesmom
07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd echo what zkimom said about a LLL consultant or lactation consultant. The one I spoke to at the hospital (might be an idea on how to find one near you, too) was far, Far, FAR more supportive of my issues with breastfeeding and medicating than my ob/gyn. In fact, I stopped going to my ob after my experience with him on that issue ... but that's a whole different story. My kids' pediatrician was also helpful - if they are focused on the maternal/child bond, they might be able to help you too.

Good luck!

bailsmom
07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Forgive me for asking this, but I was just shocked to read that you're still bf a 16 month old child.

I am not a mother (well I am to 3 4-legged children ;)) but I had no idea you could bf that long!! I thought the cut-off (for lack of a better word) was 1 yr old.???

Again, I do not mean for this to turn into something ugly, but I am honestly asking for future reference on my part. Of course I take so many drugs for my headaches that I doubt I'll be able to ever bf. I hope I can, but in the meantime, please educate me!!!

Thank you!!! :hug:

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Forgive me for asking this, but I was just shocked to read that you're still bf a 16 month old child.

I am not a mother (well I am to 3 4-legged children ;)) but I had no idea you could bf that long!! I thought the cut-off (for lack of a better word) was 1 yr old.???

Again, I do not mean for this to turn into something ugly, but I am honestly asking for future reference on my part. Of course I take so many drugs for my headaches that I doubt I'll be able to ever bf. I hope I can, but in the meantime, please educate me!!!

Thank you!!! :hug:
no offense taken ;)
i believe its the AAP (http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/breastfeeding.cfm) that strongly recommends bf'ing for the first year, and W.H.O. suggests 2 years.
read here (http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/International/recommendations.html)
some mothers nurse until the child self-weans, which can go on as long as well, really forever! :lol: a mom will produce milk as long as she is consistant in nursing, and doesn't supplement with a bottled formula (this interfears with the mothers body 'knowing' how much milk is needed for her baby)
we plan on nursing probably for 2 years, unless she weans herself sooner. we're winging it! i'm a little on the 'crunchy' side when it comes to having/raising kids:shifty:

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Not that I feel totally comfortable with this myself (but maybe that says things about me rather than the situation) but I've known women here who are breast feeding beyond 3 years. I guess the turn off for me is being somewhere and a child marches up..grabs..does a token suck and walks away. It makes me squirm because it seems so...I dunno..gratuitous or something. But like I said..maybe that's MY issue. Interesting socio-cultural issue really. IN indigenous tribes etc I wonder what the cut off age tends to be. I assume reasonably early simply because other children may come along.

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
hmm interesting susan p.! as for me (this is a personal decision) if she wants to nurse, she does ... but if she developed the habit of just wanting a little 'sip' every now and then, umm no. 'here is your cup, have some water' ;) but she can sit on my lap and cuddle while she sips :)

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I appreciate your understanding response jeanius :)

That's really it..these kids aren't nursing as such. You know how kids..say meeting a new group..will often run and clutch the back of mum or dad's pants..just feeling the 'touch of base'? These kids are really doing that..not nursing or feeding but using the breast as a reference point ..and some of these kids are BIG. One five year old in my old town was doing that..and..I used to cringe and the mother expected the school to ring her or allow her to come and feed at morning tea times etc *susan p. cringes*. I absolutely agree with the drink on lap and cuddle thing.

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
some nursing moms/babies will use nursing as a comfort too, so i sort of get that. at 5 though, if the child is in school.... well, she could pump and send him to school with milk in a cup.that would be my first choice if dd was still nursing that late in life. as for new situation anxiety, i think i would find some sort of supplemental choice, maybe sharing secrets (whispering about what scarey/new)

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 11:53 PM
It's interesting..both as a mum and as a former teacher.. I think there's a line (sometimes very fine) between a child needing comfort (or perhaps anything in fact) and parents generating that need. I guess I'd need to think about this more..BUT..if a child still needed breast feeding I suspect they should not yet go to school. As I said, I'd have to think about that more and each child and their circumstance is very very different but most children need to be led towards independence and if they're still quite dependent I think school is going to be a problem for all concerned. I do sometimes think certain children start school too young mind you; others of course are bouncing and ready to rock and roll before others. :)

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 11:56 PM
What you said about mums needing comfort is a big issue. I know many many mothers who feel totally lost when they no longer have a pram or stroller to push around. Sometimes individual parents have to make choices about accepting letting go of a 'baby' to allow a toddler to grow and be independent. Never any hard and fast rules of course. And we can still have these issues when the kid is 15, or 17, or 20! :)

jeanius80
07-31-2007, 12:01 AM
i agree. when you don't set boundries, how are kids to learn what's right/wrong, safe/dangerous....
once a child is physically able to get nutrition from a variety of foods, say when they have a mouth full of teeth, then breastfeeding isn't needed, IMO. :shrug:

Susan P.
07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
I agree with that..yes :) The same will apply to toilet training..who wants to be changing giant nappies/diapers at 5. :) You wind up embracing the independence stages and finding new joys.

feministmama
07-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Here's some info from LLL

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBweaning.html

bailsmom
07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
no offense taken ;)
i believe its the AAP (http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/breastfeeding.cfm) that strongly recommends bf'ing for the first year, and W.H.O. suggests 2 years.
read here (http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/International/recommendations.html)
some mothers nurse until the child self-weans, which can go on as long as well, really forever! :lol: a mom will produce milk as long as she is consistant in nursing, and doesn't supplement with a bottled formula (this interfears with the mothers body 'knowing' how much milk is needed for her baby)
we plan on nursing probably for 2 years, unless she weans herself sooner. we're winging it! i'm a little on the 'crunchy' side when it comes to having/raising kids:shifty:

Thanks for those links!! I appreciate your helping me understand this since I'm childless and probably will be forever. :verysad:

I'm broken on my insides so it's not going to well.....but maybe someday it'll work, we'll see. But thanks again for being so understanding to my ignorance! ;)

jeanius80
07-31-2007, 10:24 PM
no problem! i love to help when i can :)
trust me, i understand having trouble with having a baby.. i have a pitutary tumor, and the only way to get preggers is to take parlodel to lower my prolactin levels, then it works. basicly, i could probably nurse her forever :lol: until i found out about the tumor we thought we'd never have kids of our own. life works out :heart: :hug: