PDA

View Full Version : Altered my books

brendajos
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I am so giddy for having done this. Went down to Kinkos to have it done. Cost around $15 for all three books. I was going to have Scarf Style done too but after consultation with the woman at Kinkos we decided it was likely that some of the text would be lost. Since there are charts in that spot too it just didn't seem prudent! ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/General%20Pics/books.jpg

IrishKnitter
07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
:yay: :cheering: :yay:

Isn't that nice?? I did that for my SKS book, and I was soooooooo glad. It's so handy!

dustinac
07-30-2007, 06:21 PM
:happydance: I want have my sks book done this way too... but I don't have a place close to me but dh would when he drives into work.... ohhhhhh sweeeeettttiiiieeee.....:teehee:

samm
07-30-2007, 06:37 PM
What a great idea! I'd never thought to do that. Spiral binding is the best. samm

Jan in CA
07-30-2007, 06:43 PM
They should make all pattern books spiral! It would so much easier! Great idea and I'm glad to see they came out okay!

Mulderknitter
07-30-2007, 06:44 PM
:woohoo:I wonder if that would work for Cables Untangled? That one I so need to keep the pages open for!

MerigoldinWA
07-30-2007, 07:23 PM
So cool! :cool: I love that idea. :muah: I would think it would be much more expensive to have that done. 3 books for $15.00 total? That's great. :thumbsup:

brendajos
07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
So cool! :cool: I love that idea. :muah: I would think it would be much more expensive to have that done. 3 books for $15.00 total? That's great. :thumbsup:

Yes it would have been cheaper if I had gone with one of those plastic comb rings but i like the metal one better and i think it is probably sturdier.

I actually got it cheaper because she said it took longer than she had said it would. lol i had no idea, since i wasn't paying attention to the time. Who was I to argue though? :shrug:

:teehee:

brendajos
07-30-2007, 08:03 PM
:woohoo:I wonder if that would work for Cables Untangled? That one I so need to keep the pages open for!

I would open the book and look at the crease. She said it takes about 1/4 inch to cut the back off and then it is probably about another 1/4 - 1/2 for the holes. Some of the books have the words and charts too close to the crease to have them spiral bound.

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 08:35 PM
very cool... will have to look into it ;)

Susan P.
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
The metal IS much sturdier. When I am sent thick books to examine they are almost invariably plastic comb and despite always having them flat on a desk they eventually come apart somewhere. Great idea and they did a good job.

kristinw
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Such a great idea! It is so silly to not have a lay flat binding in a pattern book anyway. I think I may have to go get that done!

momwolf
07-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Where else can you get this done?Don't have a Kinkos around here

brendajos
07-31-2007, 07:04 AM
i would think print shops would do it too.

larudden
07-31-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a friend who is a Stampin' Up! demonstrator and she has all her class catalogues done like that. It's such a GREAT idea and really worth the extra expense.

Years ago, I had a stapled copy of a cookbook my great-aunt had done for her children. My mom gave me a copy and I took it to the copy place and had copies done for my three girls and my two sisters (and me too!). It was such a great idea. Now we all have an "heirloom" cookbook of our family's special Italian recipes.

Thanks for sharing that great idea! You get a gold :star:!

GinnyG
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
WOW, I did not know you could do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marykz
07-31-2007, 10:06 AM
OK- that is brilliant!! just at a regular Kinko's? you just hand them the regular book and you get it back this way? Or did they make a copy then rebind? I have GOT to do this. how did you find out about it?

brendajos
07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
lol yes just a regular kinkos. Took the books in handed them over and they handed them back about 15 minutes later bound up like that. no copies or anything.

Here's what you need to look at when you are deciding. The top book is scarf style and the bottom is SKS. you can kind of see that the crease in Scarfstyle is about the same size as the already done SKS. probably not enough room for the binding in scarf style. it would be very close. Ask them at the store if you aren't sure... they will be able to tell you for sure.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/0731070926.jpg

brendajos
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
OK- that is brilliant!! just at a regular Kinko's? you just hand them the regular book and you get it back this way? Or did they make a copy then rebind? I have GOT to do this. how did you find out about it?

Oh sorry I just saw your last question. One of the women at my LYS had mentioned it a long time ago when I was trying to decide if i really wanted to buy Knitter's Stash. She had done that to her copy. Then I heard it again recently on some podcast I was listening to and remembered I wanted to do it. Only took about a month longer to actually get it done..lol.

Susan P.
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Can I say this is also a great idea for cooking books. They drive you mad when you have to balance something on them to keep the page open. You can buy special stands but if the recipe is on a new page that has to be turned over and you want to flip back and forth, spiral binding is much easier.

This is actually an idea to give your kids to do for you for Christmas or a birthday etc. $5 for a book is do-able for most older teens and its such a practical thing that you can appreciate. Your kids can always put a clear cover on the front also (available at those shops) and decorate that for you. :)

kellyh57
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Where else can you get this done?Don't have a Kinkos around here

I had a friend do a similar thing at Office Max. Check into those type of stores- Office Depot, Staples, etc. If they have a copy place, they should be able to bind too.

Kelly

mrsmiz
07-31-2007, 12:19 PM
That is a great idea! thanks!

IrishKnitter
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I had a friend do a similar thing at Office Max. Check into those type of stores- Office Depot, Staples, etc. If they have a copy place, they should be able to bind too.

Kelly

Yup, I got mine done at Office Max, and it was just slightly cheaper than what they quoted me at Kinkos! :thumbsup:

larudden
08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I was going to have Scarf Style done too but after consultation with the woman at Kinkos we decided it was likely that some of the text would be lost. Since there are charts in that spot too it just didn't seem prudent! ;)

How about binding it at the top? Is the book stapled in the center? They could just cut it down the middle. Would the text be lost if they just took the edges off and then bound it on the top?

Just a thought...............

Orangey
08-02-2007, 12:39 AM
I just had some of my patterns I've printed from the internet laminated, its soooo nice. I dont have to worry about them getting bent or torn. I would eventually like to bind them all into a " My favorite patterns" book. And eventually bind my kniting books as well.

ArtLady1981
08-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Hi! :waving: Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

I have had soft cover books re-done like this, with the spiral coil AND had the front and back covers laminated.

Before taking the books in, I used double-stick take to affix certain "tables" and "schedules" to the inside of the covers.
This way, I have these "tables" and "schedules" permanently affixed for easy reference.

For a knitting book that uses a lot of unusual terminology or technical tables for symbols, etc. in the back of the book...why not make a photocopy of the information...trim off any useless parts of the page...and glue those down to the inside front or back covers!?

Or, anything that you think would be helpful for you in using the book.

brendajos
08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Ooops I did it again (sorry... it was in my head and it had to come out lest it cause brain rot!)

I took more books in today to be done and the ones I am most excited about are the "Not Just Socks" books and my "Pursenalities" books because I had them bound together! heeee! Not sure if you can tell this but here's a pic of the back cover of one book and front cover of the other.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/0808071807.jpg

I only wish I had thought of this before I had Sensational Knitted Socks done. :happydance:

redheadrachel
08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Ooh, I've got to do that! I think it would be amazing to do with my piano books!!! I can play without having to worry about the pages flipping over!!! Great idea :woot:

Yarn Doc
08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I love this tip! I did it to my SKS, More SKS, Knitting w/o Tears. The Twisted Sisters book is a great idea too - I hadn't thought of that one!