PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloths

Jackie M.
07-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Does anyone use thier dishcloths after they make them? The ones I have made are with 100% cotton and they are heavy, so I don't like to use them for dishes, but they make great pot holders and hot pads.

newamy
07-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I use mine for washing dishes. They are sturdy and hold up well. Mine are also 100% cotton.

Lady Violet
07-30-2007, 10:27 PM
i use mine. i think they work really well. i just made a somewhat bigger illusion dishcloth, but i don't think i can bring myself to actually use it. i think i'll just stare at the stripes and feel the knits and purls. it's just so cool! :teehee:

Jan in CA
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't use mine for hot pads because the heat goes right through them, but maybe I"m a loose knitter. I use them for dishcloths and love them!

PalmettoGirl
07-30-2007, 11:25 PM
I prefer to use my knitted or crocheted dishcloths over store bought ones.

cmk
07-31-2007, 01:23 AM
What a coincidence that you should bring this topic up because I just started using knitted cotton dishcloths last week. I personally find them a little thick and small ~ I just used free patterns on the web and now know to make them larger. I love how the cotton dishcloths wipe down the table after meals.

Using them as potholders might work. Thank you for the idea.

Carolyn

callagain
07-31-2007, 01:23 AM
My hand knit cloths are all I use..I love them! Some patterns seem to render a pretty big cloth which I do not find desirable, so I do pay attention to that when choosing a pattern. I understand what you are saying about the weight and am seeking out a lighter weight but durable cotton yarn for my next batch.

Silver
07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm always knitting dishcloths. I use Lily's Sugar n Cream and size 7 needles. I knit a very basic garter pattern because I don't want to put too much work into them or else I might not want to use them. I make them so I CAN use them instead of paper towels. I use them to dry hands and clean off counters. I've crocheted a few too, just a size G hook and a half double crochet throughout. I use those as oven mitts and hot pads since they're denser and thicker.

chrislt8
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
When I first started knitting I thought "knit dishcloths?!? are these people crazy???" - but then I knit one up to try the knit/purl image thing and, since it was done, started using it. At first I thought, eh - not so great. Then I washed it a couple of times...and now, it is ALL I use in the kitchen and I have a list of requests by family members to make them some. As they are washed they become more absorbent and they just pick up the crumbs on the counter so well, and scrub so well, and...well, you get the picture.

So, simply put, yes I use them - and they are great for trying new techniques and patterns 'cause if you make a mistake, well they ARE just dischcloths! ;)

marykz
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I love mine- I use them mainly for wiping down the counters and table, and cleaning up liquid spills. I made one to hang on a cabinet knob for the DD to dry her hands with. I also have many I use as washcloths in the bath/shower.

minkoo
07-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I use mine all the time to do dishes, wipe spills, etc. Usually the patterns I make are really simple though. I'd probably spend more time on face cloths.

SusanMarie1956
07-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Hmm, I think I'll make some just practicing stitches!

I need to take a shortbreak from th blanket. Here it is so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/ssedgebeer/Sr4blanket.jpg

Susan

Mirl56
07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I made a few several years ago and hated them - too big and soppy, couldn't stand them. I think they went into the good will bag. In the past year I've made a bunch more and love them - they are all I use. So easy to grab a fresh one, no more germy sponges.

What I like best is to use them as learning tools to learn new stitches/techniques. I made a few mitered square ones, then a few entralac ones, at least 5 illusion ones. I've practiced all kinds of cable stitches and other elaborate stitches, all in the name of dishcloths.

Marilyn

knitting4-2girls
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Is there any difference between knitting washcloth/facecloths and dishcloths. Do you just use a prettier pattern? Do you use the same type of yarn? Thanks so much.

hob
07-31-2007, 10:05 PM
i like to knit them and have them out hanging up ect but no i havent used them yet. im worried they will lose there nice patterns some how.

Jan in CA
07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
I use just cotton like Sugar and Cream for dishcloths, but for faces I'd use a nicer, softer cotton.

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I use mine so much...that I end up tossing them in the rag bag cuz they look so horrible! Then I get to make new ones! :yay:

Lobug
08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I love my knit dishcloths so much better than storebought. I use them more for washcloths though. I use Sugar/Peaches & Cream for all of them. They are great baby shower gifts b/c they are so soft and only get softer. I love them for my babies and won't use anything else. They clean better and more gently.

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I love my knit dishcloths so much better than storebought. I use them more for washcloths though. I use Sugar/Peaches & Cream for all of them. They are great baby shower gifts b/c they are so soft and only get softer. I love them for my babies and won't use anything else. They clean better and more gently.

Hi Lobug! :waving:

How do you launder your Sugar 'n' Cream or Peaches 'n' Cream discloths? What do you do to make them get softer over time???

I gotta say...ALL my Sugar 'n' Cream dishcloths end up looking like H___. Really. "Soft" is no where near how I would descibe mine! They get rough, pilled, stretched out of kilter, and stained.

I have learned to make them smaller...so that they are easier to "wring out" in my hand. I still love them...but for only about a few months use. They are kinda like disposalbe dishcloths...but not thrown out. I save them for really icky jobs around the house and garden. Even my bright yellows are a faded pile of non-white, stained dishcloths. It was either keep the stains, or bleach the stains out.

I am clearly doing something wrong, because so many knitters love theirs for many many years!

larudden
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
My mom makes them for me all the time, so I don't have to! She makes white ones for facecloths and they are really soft.

I'm wondering, if you use bigger needles, will they not be as thick?:??

Anyhoo, that's all I use in the kitchen! I just love them for wiping up spills. And the cotton doesn't scratch anything.

Nothin' like them!

Jackie M.
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I guess it's just me then. :???: I don't like the feel of the bulkiness of them to use them for washcloths or dish cloths, but I do use them for wiping the counter tops and table. Like Marilyn said too, they are great for practicing stitches. I've made my daughters dishcloths with their initials on them in the colors of their kitchens, but when I go over there, I never see them. Not even in the dishcloth drawer. Hmmmm :??
What is a good softer cotton than Suger n Cream?

salos
08-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I made one last night, very loosely knitted, and it's working well actually washing dishes. The shape isn't quite right, but I'll try again. Happy sudsing!

cgd
08-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I both knit and crochet dishcloths, and now my hand-made ones are all I use. I gave some to family members for Christmas last year, and those people have gotten comments from other family, who hope I draw their names this year so that they can receive some. I love working with cotton (am allergic to wool), and I love how quickly they work up. Crocheted ones tend to be thicker, so some people like the textured crocheted ones for that reason, but I like both knitted and crocheted ones.