PDA

View Full Version : Gah! I hate this town!

SabrinaJL
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
We are currently living in a VERY small town in New Mexico. Population is probably around 5000. There is ONE place in town where you can buy knitting/crochet supplies. The only yarn they sell is Red Heart acrylics and S&C cottons though. I wanted to buy an E crochet hook and they don't have one. The nearest town where I could get one is 85 miles away.

I can not wait to move back to San Diego. Hmph.

Ok, just needed to get that out.

mrs desert rain
07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Frustrating!:hug:

If you're ever near Taos, head up north a bit to Sunflower Specialty Yarn in Arroyo Seco. Not sure I've ever seen a hank of Red Heart there.

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Just to make you feel better, I live in a small town (3200 peeps) and the nearest yarn shop is 5 hours away. I haven't seen decent yarn in a store in 8 months. Thank God for the internet.

Sharly
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
I feel your pain!!!

SabrinaJL
07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks all. :)

mrs desert rain, I've been to Taos once (loved it up there) but that was before I was a knitter. I LOVE Village Wools in Albuquerque though. I try to get there when I can, but that's not very often.

YarnMommy, that doesn't make me feel better, it just makes me feel bad for you. :teehee: Did you get the book yet?

Sewing Angel
07-31-2007, 06:16 PM
I also live in NM in a rural area. We are so lucky, we have a great yarn store here. Its called Good Fibrations in Edgewood. Its hard to not be near a large city with a variety of shopping. Growing up, the nearest mall was 1 1/2 hours away! I feel your pain. What part of the state are you in?
Angel

SabrinaJL
07-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm in Tucumcari. How far are you from Edgewood? That's close enough to Albuquerque that I'd just go there. Have you been to Village Wools?

Knitting_Guy
07-31-2007, 07:41 PM
You can buy anything via the web.

Sewing Angel
07-31-2007, 07:45 PM
I am about 4 miles from the main area of town (Smiths, Walgreens etc). The yarn store is west of the Post Office in a small shopping center. It is right off of the highway. There is also another woman who sells yarn and buttons. Her name is Robin Pascal. This is her web site. http://www.perfectbuttons.com/about.html She was having studio hours on Tuesdays I think. I have taken knitting lessons from her. She also teaches weaving, spinning and dyeing. Let me know if you are come this way. I went through Tucumcari last year a couple of times taking my DD to Dallas to the Dr. Looks pretty much the same as I remember it.
Angel

Sewing Angel
07-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Village Wools is so far on the North side of town, I hardly ever get over there. I did see them at the Fiber Arts Fiesta in May. Is there anything in Amarillo? I just found this in my book from Fiber Arts, Viorge Designs 809 Monroe Street in Tucumcari. 505-461-4527 It say they have hand spun and specialty yarn. www.viorge.com I don't remember looking at their booth. But there were too many there.
Angel

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-31-2007, 08:17 PM
I got the book, and love it! I already have a couple things I want to incorporate into a raglan for my girls. :)

SabrinaJL
07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Mason, I do buy lots of stuff online, but I was hoping to get started on it today.

Sewing Angel, I've never even heard of that, which is weird since I live off of Monroe. I highly recommend checking out Village Wools out if you get a chance. They have a HUGE selection. There's a yarn store in Amarillo (and I'm using that term VERY loosely). It was a tiny room with mostly fun fur type stuff. There's also one in Clovis but it's the front room of someone's house and again, not much of a selection.

YarnMommy, I'm glad you got the book. :)

Sewing Angel
07-31-2007, 10:44 PM
I should have posted this link before. It is for NM Fiber Arts Trails www.nmfiberarts.org There are listings for the whole state. Looks like there are a couple in Las Vegas. As I recall its about 75 miles from Tucumcari. Nice drive just not in the middle of winter.

SabrinaJL
07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, I found the e-mail address for Viorge Designs and e-mailed them. I got this reply back.

We did sell handmade knitting and crochet needles, but we have recently closed our store front. I apologize for any inconvenience, but after being open for over a year with very little response here in Tucumcari, we decided to move our studio back to our home. We do still have our website up and running and will be posting a few new items in the near future. Thank you for your interest.
Vickie

Which brings me back to my original point. I hate this town.

Debbie
07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Amarillo is "home" for me ... grew up there and parents and sibs still there. The "yarn store" is definately nothing to go out of your way for. Every time I go home, I go there and it is still the same yarn as before .... and I have been knitting for about 3 years now...

Sewing Angel
07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Well that stinks! Sorry there's nothing close. I know its hard for small business to survive. Small towns make it worse.
Angel