PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting discouraged.

EssenceRose
07-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one! I can crochet just fine. I have no problems making the stitches.... it's the darn patterns I can't understand!

I have a hard time identifying which stitch is which. So how am I supposed to follow a pattern when I can't even identify what is a sc and what is a dc and what is a hdc... *sigh*

The pattern says, "sc into the next dc 13 times". Hmm...well I would if I knew which one the next dc was! Grrr!

I'm not going to give up yet. But I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever figure it out! :gah:

hydeemarie
07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Here's an idea: Go on youtube and search "crochet". Watch the videos and write down how each stitch is done. That-a-way, you have a reference when you need to know what you do for a certain stitch.

Riss
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Here is my suggestion... :)

I would make a swatch, of say 5 rows of each: single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, treble crochet. And then take a safety pin and pin a label to each type of stitch so you know what they look like.

Kind of like a visual guide. :)

Whatcha makin'? Don't give up on it yet...

purlwise
07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Well just remember that the TOP, if you were looking down on the row, will always look the same, like a little V no matter what the stitch. A single will be a short stack, a double will be a medium stack, a half double will be a tad taller, and a treble or triple will be the longest stack, the top will ALWAYS look like a V. Does that help?

minkoo
08-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Is there a chart with the pattern? That's why I like the Happy Hooker, because even if you don't know what you should be knitting into, you can just count on the chart.

Hang in there! It took me quite a while with my first projects and I still get stuck. But it gets a lot easier!

The idea about making a sampler is a really neat tip!!

hydeemarie
08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Here is my suggestion... :)

I would make a swatch, of say 5 rows of each: single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, treble crochet. And then take a safety pin and pin a label to each type of stitch so you know what they look like.

Kind of like a visual guide. :)

Whatcha makin'? Don't give up on it yet...

That is a really great tip for some struggling. I think I will do that just to have it when I am having "one of those days" :whoosh:or just when i am teaching someone to crochet. I know my friend wants to learn, so this is a great tool to have! Thank-you! :woot::yay:

Riss
08-01-2007, 04:11 PM
*giggles* you're welcome :)

It just kinda popped into my head while writing...

noejusti
08-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi,
When I get confused, I have some basic books that have really good drawings in them. I keep the books open to the page I need while I am crocheting and then use the diagrams to match up the loops that I am looking for when I get stuck. The cool thing about crochet is that you can rip out a row and the rest of the work is still intact (unlike knitting, which needs to stay on needles and can unravel easily). The books that I keep on hand are: "I Taught Myself Crochet", "The Harmony Guides: 300 Crochet Stitches", and "The Harmony Guides: 220 More Crochet Stitches". Please note that the Harmony Guides are from the UK, so the name for stitches like single crochet, double crochet, etc slightly different things, but they make note of that in the beginning of the book.

For an online reference to look up a stitch and how to do it with little Quicktime movies (just like Knitting Help's online movies), take a look at the following website. www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S (http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S)

Or if the link doesn't work, go to anniesattic.com and then click on the menu at the left-hand side of the page under Community called "Stitching Help". There is a list of different crochet stitches you can click on for diagrams and Quicktime movie demonstrations.

Hope this was helpful! Keep up the good work!

noejusti

cftwo
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
The problem probably is that the stitches pretty much all look the same from the top edge. The difference is just the height of the stitches. The key, IMO, to figuring out which stitch to put your new stitch into is remembering what you did in the last row. Often (but not always), a row just has a bazillion of one stitch, or repeats a pattern over and over again (e.g., 2 dc, 2 ch, 2 dc, 2 ch, etc.). Read through what you're supposed to do in the new row, check what you did in the previous row, and you should be able to match things up.

I hate using the charts for crochet patterns, by the way. I can never make sense of them. BUT, they do give you a visual on what stitch goes on top of what.

EssenceRose
08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks, everyone. I, too, don't like the charts. But that tip of make a swatch is really good... I did just that! :)

I attempted a hat. This si the pattern: http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/skcap.html -- and would you believe it! It actually worked! Mind you, it was WAY too small and when I went back over it I realized that I read the pattern wrong. Hehe! But I did it! So it's upped my confidence a teensy weensy bit.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! :)

Riss
08-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Glad I could help! Can't wait to see some FO! Just remember, don't give up. :)

kitkaty
08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I have the same problem of which stitch to go into especially with the first row after foundation row...sc 1.....is the first stich the one the loop is coming out of??? also the ends...which one is last???

EssenceRose
08-10-2007, 12:58 AM
is the first stich the one the loop is coming out of???

I've never counted the slip knot or the one the loop is coming out of as stitches... ???

PamJ
08-10-2007, 11:59 AM
As far as I know, you don't count the loop that your hook is on...you start counting with the one next to it. I find patterns very confusing to read too. But like anything, the more patterns you read and master, the easier it becomes. Often a sticky tab that you can move along in the pattern helps you keep your place. When doing a pattern multiple times, I also circle something significant in each row that reminds me what to do without tediously looking at every stitch in the pattern--this is very helpful when doing something like a lace ripple. I gave up many times before finally plowing on and feeling comfortable with my crochet hook. Now I love it and find it very relaxing. It's fun to alternate knit and crochet projects. I see you are knitting a SOCK--I'm still in the pulling out my hair, giving up stage on that!!!

knitqueen
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
My handy little book says this for single crochet:

Your foundation chain is always one stitch longer than the number of stitches you want in the first row. The first sc will go in the second stitch from your hook (NOT including the loop that is on your hook).

Hope that helps.

italianchildhood
08-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Nooooo, don't get discouraged! It will get better...