PDA

View Full Version : I'm so confused!

uraqt
07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone. I've only been knitting for about a year now and my daughter came across a sweater pattern that she would like me to knit for her but I'm having a little difficulty with the directions. Do you know of anyone who would translate the directions into step by step, row by row (in plain english) for me? :shrug:
Thanks, Laurie

hunterjenn
08-01-2007, 12:16 AM
:think: Maybe if you listed here the things that are confusing, we could help better?

bobi1218
08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I'd be happy to help you out, just write here what's confusing you! Chances are, once you get started, you'll be able to figure stuff out on your own :) It always seems more difficult when you first look at it than it really is!

Susan P.
08-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes.. learning how to read a pattern is like learning a different form of english and it's better you do learn to read this one so that each pattern in turn will become easier :)
The pattern will have a glossary e.g. CO=cast on or K=Knit and so on. If you look at the top of this page this site has a glossary that can also help you figure out what some of the abbreviations mean. However, as other's have said, here is a good place to ask questions.

uraqt
08-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Thank you all so much for your response. I understand casting on x# stitches, yo, sl, etc. I have started this sweater over and over and I can't get past the cable stripe in the directions (vs. the instructons prior for the cable stripe) and have it come out to a total of 105 stitches. It's just not making any sense to me. The set up of this pattern is nothing I'm used to. Any help deciphering this pattern would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Laurie

Model of the Month
Filati Handknitting 27, Model 27/11
Luxor Pullover
Size M (L)
Figures in brackets refer to size L. If only one figure is given, it
Applies to all sizes.
Materials:
Lana Grossa "Luxor", 51% merino extrafine, 49% microfibers/
Polyamide, MT = 150 m/50 G) 400 (450) G camel (col 8), one
Pair 4.5 mm needles, one long 4.5 mm circular needle.
Border pattern:
Alt K1, P1.
Stockinette stitch:
K on right side, P on wrong side.
Moss pattern:
Alt K1, P1, stagger pattern on every row by 1 St.
Cable stripe over 20 sts:
Rows 1 – 3: P2, K16, P2. 2nd row and all further return rows:
Work sts as set. 5th row: P2, slip 4 on cable needle and leave
At back of work, K4, then K4 from cable needle, slip foll 4 sts
On cable needle and leave at front of work, K4, then K4 from
Cable needle, P2. 7th row: P2, K16, P2, rep rows 1 – 8.
Gauge:
Moss pattern = 18 sts and 33 rows to 10 cm or 4" square.

Front:
Cast on 89 (97) sts and cont 6 rows = approx 2 cm or 13/16" in border pattern, cont as foll: 13 (17)
Sts moss pattern, for cable stripe work over foll 12 sts over 8 sts each time K1 and K1 tbl = 20 sts
Cable stripe, 39 sts moss pattern, on foll 12 sts Inc again 8 sts for cable stripe = 20 sts, 13 (17) sts
Moss pattern = 105 (113) sts. After 13 (17) cm or 5 1/8 (6 3/4)" from beginning divide work after 41
(45) sts from right edge for wrap-arounds form and slip the 41 (45) sts onto a length of yarn. Over
REM 64 (68) sts work right front as foll: 23 sts stockinette stitch, 8 sts moss pattern, 20 sts cable
Pattern, 13 (17) sts moss pattern, at right edge DEC for neck shaping 1 St on every 4th row 23 times
(= edge St, slip 1, K1, pass slipped stitch over). After 31 (35) cm or 12 1/4 (13 3/4)" from beginning
Bind off at left edge for armhole 3 sts, then on every alt row 2 sts once (twice), 1 St 7 times. When
Work measures 52 (56) cm or 20 1/2 (22)" from beginning bind off for shoulder at left edge on every
Alt row 8 (10) sts once, 6 sts twice and 3 sts 3 times. For left front pick up the idle sts, for underlap of
Wraparound piece cast on at left edge 23 sts = 64 (68) sts and work in reversed to right half, for neck
Shaping K tog 2 sts aft ER edge St.
Back:
Cast on 89 (97) sts and cont as given for front, over the 39 center sts cont in moss pattern to end.
Shape armholes on either side as for front = 81 (89) sts, shape shoulders as for front, with beginning
Of 2nd shoulder shaping bind off the 11 center sts and finish each side separately, at neck edge bind off
On every alt row 2 sts twice and 1 St twice.
LANA GROSSA · Modell Des Monats | Model of the Month
September 2006
Herausgeber: LANA GROSSA GmbH · www.lanagrossa.de ·Sämtliche Modelle, Graphiken und Fotos stehen unter Urheberschutz. Eine Verwertung, die
über die private Nutzung hinausgeht, ist ohne Zustimmung untersagt. Nachdruck nur mit Genehmigung Des Herausgebers. (© www.aixhibit.com)
Sleeves:
Cast on 42 sts and work 11 cm or 4 1/4" in border pattern. Cont as foll: 15 sts moss pattern, over the
12 center sts Inc 8 sts each time (= double 8 sts) = 20 sts cable stripe, 15 sts moss pattern. For sleeve
Shaping Inc 1 St at each end on every 10th row 6 times and 1 St on every 8th row 6 times = 74 sts.
When work measures 44 cm or 17 1/4" bind off 3 sts at each end, then bind off for sleeve top at each
End on every alt row 2 sts twice and 1 St twice, then 1 St on every 4th row 7 times and again on every
Alt row 1 St 3 times, 2 sts twice, bind off REM 28 sts .
Finishing:
Join shoulder, side and sleeve seams, sew sleeves in position. For neck band pick up along front neck
Edges incl. Smooth wrap-around pieces on either side 95 sts each, along neck back 29 sts, with circular
Needle work over all sts 3 rows in border pattern, bind off on 4th row. Position lower edge of left wraparound
Pieces below of right piece and attach.
Abbreviations:
alt = alternately, ch = chain, col = colour, cont = continue, dc = double crochet, dec = decrease, dtr = double treble, foll =
following, gst = garter stitch, htr = half treble, inc = increase, K = knit, mt = meterage, P = purl, patt = pattern, patt g (MS) =
pattern group, psso = pass slipped st(s) over, rem = remaining, rep = repeat, rev stst = reversed stocking stitch, P 1 row, K 1 row,
Rs = right side, slst = slip stitch, st(s) = stitch(es), stst = stocking stitch, K 1 row, P 1 row, tbl = through back of loop, tog =
together, tr = treble, Ws = wrong side, Wwm = when work measures, yo = yarn over needle, Ärmel = sleeves, Vorder- und
Rückenteil = front and back

JGM
08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I think the part that's confusing is this:

"for cable stripe work over foll 12 sts over 8 sts each time K1 and K1 tbl = 20 sts
Cable stripe"

Here's how I would set it up. As you knit your last row of border stitches, place markers as follows:
Work 13 stitches, place marker.
Work 12 stitches, place marker.
Work 39 stitches, place marker.
Work 12 stitches, place marker.
Work 13 stitches, end of row.
12+12+39+12+13=89

Now, we're going to work a row of increases in the 12 stitch sections where the cables will go. The increases help to keep the knitting flat as cables tend to pull the fabric in.

Next row:
Step 1) Work 13 stitches in moss pattern, slip marker.

Step 2) Increase in next stitch by knitting into the front and back loops of the stitch. (More on that here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php). Scroll until you see k1f&b) Knit one stitch, increase in each of the next two stitches, knit one, increase in each of the next two, knit one, increase in each of the next two, knit one, increase in the last stitch, slip marker. You have now increased 8 times over 12 stitches to give you 20 total in this section.

Step 3) Work 39 stitches in moss pattern, slip marker.

Step 4) Repeat Step 2 instructions again over the next 12 stitches to increase to 20

Step 5) Repeat Step 1 to finish the row.

You should now have the following number of stitches between your markers: 13+20+39+20+13=105! :cheering:

Hope that helps.

uraqt
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Thank you so much! That line did confuse me. The pattern is converted from Dutch to English so I wonder if the translation didn'dt come out as smooth as it should have. Anyway, I really appreciate you looking at it and giving me that break down. I'll do it and hope I can get thru the rest of it! Thanks again! Laurie

uraqt
08-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Thank you Robin...I may get back to you!

uraqt
08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks, I may get back to you!

JGM
08-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much! That line did confuse me. The pattern is converted from Dutch to English so I wonder if the translation didn'dt come out as smooth as it should have. Anyway, I really appreciate you looking at it and giving me that break down. I'll do it and hope I can get thru the rest of it! Thanks again! Laurie

Yeah, there was definitely something lost in the translation there. Glad to help, let us know if you run into any more problems!

uraqt
08-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I finally had a chance to set up my knitting as you instructed and am happy to report all is well and I have 105 stitches lined up very nicely! Thank you. But now I'm embarassed to admit to this but once again I'm stuck. Right after the part where I get to 105 stitches it says to continue until the piece measures 5 1/8 inches...do I do all 105 stitches in the moss pattern? I don't know why this pattern is confusing me so much, I guess I'm just used to following instructions like the breakdown that you gave me. (I've only made dog and baby sweaters before) Thanks again for you help.

JGM
08-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Nope, you'll work moss stitch over the first 13 stitches, then work your cable pattern, then 39 stitches of moss pattern, then another cable pattern, then moss stitch over the final 13 of the row.

Here's your instructions for the cables:

Cable stripe over 20 sts:
Rows 1 – 3: P2, K16, P2. 2nd row and all further return rows:
Work sts as set. 5th row: P2, slip 4 on cable needle and leave
At back of work, K4, then K4 from cable needle, slip foll 4 sts
On cable needle and leave at front of work, K4, then K4 from
Cable needle, P2. 7th row: P2, K16, P2, rep rows 1 – 8.

uraqt
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :knitting:

Susan P.
08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
JGM.. You've been a GEM on this thread with such fulsome help and explanations. Thanks a bunch! :muah:

JGM
08-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks. :)