PDA

View Full Version : Circs for socks

Mski
08-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi everyone -
I was in a local LYS over the weekend and was shown Addi circs for socks. They are small needles with a short cable between them in order to knit socks in the round but not on DPNs. Has anyone seen these or tried them?
I apologize if this question has been asked before.
LOVE this place!
Thanks -

Braden
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Do you mean she showed you a 12" circular needle, or 2 circular needles that you could knit socks on? I wouldn't reccomend the 12" needle, because that can be very uncomfortable to knit with (at least it has in my experience). I love knitting socks and small circumference items on 2 circular needles, so I'd try that. Go for the 16" or 24" length, those are best.

brendajos
08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't think the 12 inch circs would be good for socks anyway. They may work for the leg but I have a big foot and even my foot isn't 12inches in circumfrence so that sock would be baggy on my foot.

I do really like circular on 2 circs a lot. I don't like going less than 24 inches using that method though. I always feel like the needle is too short to manipulate.

Mski
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi ContiKnitter -
Nope, she showed me one short circular needle, about 6"-8" in length total including the 2 needles on each end and the cable between. Unfortunately she had taken the sock-in-progress off the needles.
Mski

Debbie
08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Clover came out with some plastic ones a while back 6" & 8" I think ... I got some, the concept is wonderful ... actually doing it .. not so good. Addi may have figured it out ... if so ... yea !
There is also a circ with a stretchy cord that some have tried, but I don't remember the results.

samm
08-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi! I have two of the twelve inch Addi circulars and have knit socks on them. I found my hands crampy though, because they were held at a weird angle while knitting. But the socks were fine.

Knitting_Guy
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Those sound too short. I just use one with ML.

Braden
08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
The 12" circular needles aren't too short for socks on 2 circulars, but they are waaay too short for magic loop. If you want to knit socks on the two 12", go right ahead, but I would recommend at least a 16" cable. I use a 24" and they're just right. For Magic Loop, use a 40" or longer. If you use Addis or Options, you can get by with a 32" needle.