PDA

View Full Version : A New Knitting Interview

Braden
08-01-2007, 08:56 AM
This is sort of a chain-message thing from my LYS, sent to all the regular customers. Answer if you want to!

1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Aran sweaters, but I also love to do Fair Isle and lace. All knit in the round, except for the lace.

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? I like rustic, natural wools most of all, and my favorite place to get those is from Schoolhouse Press. I have used just about all the wools they offer, and love them all.

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)?Circular, no question, never use straights anymore. I only use metal needles, nickel plated if possible. My favorites now are Addis and Options, though I do have a big collection of Inox needles (the coated kind)

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others?I knit the same way all year long, but my favorite times to knit are in fall and winter, my favorite seasons.

5.) What style of knitting do you use? Continental. I know how knit English style, but it's not as comfortable to me.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? I guess, I'm pretty fast once I get going.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Elizabeth Zimmermann, hands down. Meg Swansen is great, too, but not as witty as Elizabeth.

8.) What is your favorite by said author? Hard to pick, but probably Knitting Without Tears or Knitting Around.

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? It'll be 7 years this October.

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) I use and like both dpn's and 2 circulars, but my favorite right now is 2 circulars.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? It's a tie between 3 - Knitting in the Round, Steeking, and Cabling without a cable needle. Without that last one, I don't think I'd be knitting cables all that much, so let's go with that one.

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? I like my gauge to be in a range from 6-8 stitches per inch for Fair Isles, up to about 3 stiches per inch. I don't go finer or bulkier than those, so you could say I'm an equal opportunity knitter.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? In the round, with one of Elizabeth Zimmermann's 10 circular shoulder shapings - yoke, raglan, set in sleeve, drop shoulder, saddle shoulder, "nalgar", etc. Except for drop shoulders, I don't knit the sleeves seperately and sew them in, I cut, pick up stitches and knit the sleeve, so there won't be any seams.

14.) Again, who do wish to send this on to? All the members of KH.

ekgheiy
08-01-2007, 09:26 AM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit?
I don't really have a *favorite* yet; however, I tend to lean more toward afghans, sweaters and shawls.

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most?
I *like* merino, cashmere and soft synthetic blends. I've never actually purchase merino or cashmere. I'll give you one (1) guess as to why? :teehee:

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)?
I'm a total circular needles junkie. Only very rarely will I use straights, excluding DPN's. I only have one pair of nickel plated and I love them, but I pretty much stick to Boye and Susan Bates circs. I avoid wood :ick: too sticky; and plastic is so-so. Although, I just bought a pair of plastic DPN's; so far, so good.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others?
I tend to knit more in the winter; although, this summer has been an exception. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I'm growing as a knitter? :think:

5.) What style of knitting do you use?
This probably sounds a little weird, but I use both and it depends on the project. For socks or other small items knit in the round, I use Conti. For large items with simple patterns such as afghans, I use English. If the pattern is notably challenging for me, I'll likely use English. And then sometimes, it just boils down to which mood in at the time. So it really all depends since I'm comfortable with both.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter?
It's really quite relative to the pattern. If we're talking a simple garter scarf, I can get that done quickly - provided I don't get bored with all those knit sts. If we're talking about a complex pattern, I really don't factor speed into the equation. For sh!-s & giggles, I once timed myself with garter; I think I clocked in 100 sts in three minutes. I'd have to look it up; it's posted somewhere on KH.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author?
I read more knitting magazines than books and, being the bad reader that I am, I've never taken note of any of the article's authors. So I can't really answer this question.

8.) What is your favorite by said author?
I don't really have a favorite magazine; I like all of the ones I buy. And I guess it really depends on each issue. I might like the summer issue of Interweave better than the summer issue of Vogue; but the winter may be switched.

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit?
I learned circa 1998, so I'm coming up on 10 years.

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop)
I routinely use DPN's. However, I've done magic loop and liked it. I would likely never use 2 circs; that's just too much cable floating around for my liking.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far?
That's a tough question; they are all useful techniques. But since I have to pick, I'd say "un-knitting" and switch a knit st to a purl st (or vice versa) **without** frogging!!

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ?
I normally avoid fine gauge like the plague because I have a short attention span. Mid-range and bulky are what I tend to stick to.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters?
I've not knit enough sweaters using different methods to be able to answer that. To date, I've only done the pieces method (front/back/sleeves, then seam tog); however, I'm dying to try in-the-round.

14.) Again, who do wish to send this on to?
:shrug:

knitwit628
08-01-2007, 10:13 AM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Umm... probably fun, smaller projects

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? Soft yarn. I don't really have a favorite type, it just depends.

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? I used to use wooden and metal straights but recently I bought the Options and love them. Basically, metal needles.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others? Knit all times of the year, but I probably slow down in progress during the school year. I am just too busy during it.

5.) What style of knitting do you use? English.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? It depends on what project it is. If it is fun and I can't wait to finish it, I knit faster. If it is a slow, boring project I tend to take longer.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, she's very witty and fun.

8.) What is your favorite by said author? I had a good time reading Yarn Harlot.

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? 4 years ago.

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) I use dpn's.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? I dont know, probably everything. All of the skills are useful!

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? I don't like bulky items... I kind of like my stitches nice and small because I think they tend to look nicer and dainty. lol, maybe I'm just weird.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? Never have tried sweater's before :oo:

Snugglebugmom
08-01-2007, 10:46 AM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Socks and lace, and especially the combination!

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? Natural fibers, wool, alpaca, mohair, and I am looking forward to trying out bamboo soon.

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? Circular and DPNs, metal only. I have the Boye Needle Master set and I love it, and the DPNs are Susan Bates. I can't work with wood, it gives me the heebiejeebies.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others?I tend to knit more when it's cold out, although this year I am knitting up a storm even when the temperature tops the nineties.

5.) What style of knitting do you use? I am comfortable with both, but at the moment continental is my favorite. I find it way easier when I knit with circulars or DPNs.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? I think I'm pretty fast, yes. I knit very loosely, that helps.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I love her humor and her way with words, and she seems like a very sensitive, kind person.

8.) What is your favorite by said author? "Knitting rules!" which is a ton of fun to read and holds lots of great tips and tricks.

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? I learned when I was 6 (31 years ago!) and knit sweaters and scarves on and off, but didn't really get into it until about three years ago.

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) DPNs, I love working with those. I would like to try 2 circulars at some point as well.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? Kitchener stitch for grafting toes. It makes such a HUGE difference if the seam looks nice!

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? Fine gauge, definitely. The finer, the better!

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? I don't knit a lot of sweaters anymore, but I used to knit them up in separate pieces and stitch them together.

14.) Again, who do wish to send this on to? I won't be sending it on, but I am looking forward to reading the responses by the other KH members!

Riss
08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Mostly small stuff. I haven't ventured onto anything larger than a scarf, although I am making a hat right now. I have a very short attention span. :D

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? I have mostly acrylic in my stash right now, after doing a king sized ripple blanket. I also have a *ton* of lime green cotton. I bought like 2 lbs of it, cuz I'm a sucker for that color. But I'd love to venture into getting some wool. I want to try felting.

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? I use Clover Takumi Bamboo needles. I have them in sizes 7,8 and 10. I bought a set of circulars, I think they're Boye, and I *hate* them. Every other stitch, I end up dropping because everything slips off them. Drives me nuts. So they've been thrown across the room and are hiding from me behind a bureau.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others? I think I'll be a year round knitter. I am definitely a year round crocheter, and I'm currently stuck on knitting. Can't see myself stopping any time soon...

5.) What style of knitting do you use? Continental

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? Well, once I get into a pattern, and have it memorized, it goes a lot faster. Otherwise, I get lost really easily.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Well, after seeing everyone's favorites, i'm going to have to pick up a book by Zimmerman...

8.) What is your favorite by said author? *hangs her head* I've never read a knitting book...

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? About a month ago! I think I'm in love...

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) The farthest I've gone in the round was about a dozen rounds on dpns. Then my fingers got sore because they were so pointy and slippery.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? I'm a sucker for Long Tail cast on... It stays on the needles so much nicer.

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all? I would love to learn how to make socks. But for now, I'm sticking with worsted weight stuff... Simply for the ease and quickness of it.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? I need to learn a lot more before I attempt something big like that... :)

I love surveys :D

redheadrachel
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Socks and cables! I've recently begun knitting lace though, and it's very fun in small quantities.

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? I love alpaca and just nice wool.

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? I love my KP Options, and I don't really use straight needles. Nickel plated is the way to go for me.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others? I'm not sure, since I've only been knitting since December. I've knit a ton this summer though, but I think it's just because of this site and the fact that I'm getting better.

5.) What style of knitting do you use? Continental, but I'll use English too with Fair Isle.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? I'm not really fast, but not slow either.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Haven't read any knitting books... though I've read some snippets of EZ books and I'd love to get my hands on a few.

8.) What is your favorite by said author? N/A.

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? This past December, the week before Christmas.

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) I do Magic Loop if I don't have the correct size dpns, but I prefer dpns.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? Knitting in the round on dpns :) Also, learning both English and Continental, duplicate stitch, and kitchener stitch.

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? I really like knitting socks with fingering weight, but I'll do it all. If I love a pattern, I'll love making it, whether fine gauge or super bulky.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? I'm working on my first sweater right now (blocking it at the moment) so I can't really say a preference. I like to knit them so they'll come out fitting properly!! lol

Ooh, that was fun! :muah:

Braden
08-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Wow! It's very interesting to see how different people do different things. I love surveys.

purlwise
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Sweaters in small sizes!

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? I like cotton with a little acrylic.

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? I like metal and use both straight and circular.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others? I start knitting in the Fall and switch to crochet in the Srin.

5.) What style of knitting do you use? Continental.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? I guess, I'm pretty fast once I get going.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Bliss

8.) What is your favorite by said author? She has done several childern's/baby books, very cute

9 How long ago did you learn to knit? 23 years ago?

10) Do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) I'm still learning, I've taught myself everything from books, so it is a little hard for me not having someone to show me the ropes!

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? Knitting in the Round!

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? Mid (starting with 6 or 7) to Large

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? I've started knitting in the round until the split for the arms, then I switch to straights.

Silver
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Loved this meme Conti! I blogged it too. :)

1. What are your favorite things to knit?Baby things and socks. I love them both because theyíre small, easy to tote, quick to finish and meaningful.

2. What yarn/fiber do you like most?
I really like the look of handspun yarns, but ironically, I rarely knit with them. I think they look fabulous in a hank. To knit with, I love a good quality worsted wool, in a DK weight. Worsted as in the way itís spun, not the weight. But I also love cashmere yarns, I mean, who doesnít love cashmere?

3. What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)?I like bamboo needles, but tend to use my KP Options as much as I can, so I guess those are my favorites. Actually, the material doesnít matter as much as the points and and Options are super pointy... plus I way prefer circulars over any other.

4. Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others?
No, I knit all year long. I ALWAYS have something on the needles.

5. What style of knitting do you use?
I gravitate towards knitting English style, but I will knit continental when knitting rib or moss/seed stitch just because itís quicker to move the yarn between the needles. Iíll knit both ways at once when knitting stranded colorwork.. one color in my left hand, the other in my right.

6. Do you consider yourself a ďfastĒ knitter?
Yes and no. I think Iím an average speed for a good, comfortable knitter. Iím no Lily Chin, but I can finish a pair of socks in a few days and a (chunky) sweater in as little as 2 weeks.

7. Who is your favorite knitting author?
Nicky Epstein, Joan McGowan-Michael and especially Annie Modesitt. I love almost everything Annie has ever knit. (My thoughts are always with her and her family.)

8. What is your favorite by said author?
I donít have a favorite, but I am chomping at the bit for Romantic Hand Knits by Annie Modesitt.

9. How long ago did you learn to knit?
Almost 7 years ago. I passed a ďLearn to KnitĒ kit in Walmart and thought, what the hell. Itís since become my #1 hobby and past time. With all the crafts Iíve ever tried, this is the only one that has ever become such a deep love. I love knitting even more than drawing and graphic arts.

10. How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop)
Two Circulars is my favorite. Itís faster and easier than double points, but less ďfidgetyĒ than magic loop.

11. What is the most useful technique youíve learned so far?
Knitting English and Continental at the same time for colorwork, and knitting cables without a cable needle.

12. Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all?
I prefer fine gauge items, but I really do like them all. Iíve never met a knit I didnít like.

13. How do you like to knit your sweaters?
Seamless top down raglans are my favorites, just because theyíre as magical as turning the heel on a sock. But I have to admit I loved all the finishing and steeking of my Osterdalen Norwegian sweater. I appreciate the simplicity of a seamless top-down, but love the challenge of finishing a perfectly seamed sweater as well.

chrislt8
08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
1.) What are your favorite things to knit? Just about anything as long as it will be USED - but I like the sense of accomplishment and "substance" of a sweater.

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? Natural Fiber blends (silks, cottons, linen) I am trying out different wool/wool blends now so I'll have to get back to you on that, and am dying to try hemp & bamboo!

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? Circular, metal needles - almost exclusively KP Options and Addi Turbo Lace

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others? Well so far it's all been the same, but only started in April...assume I'll have a bit of a lull over the winter holidays as things get so busy, but otherwise...it's become a daily activity.

5.) What style of knitting do you use? Primarily English, but some Continental.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? Medium - don't really think about speed when I knit, just like the process.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? Goodness, I've been reading so many knitting books they are all a mush in my brain right now. If I had to pick one, I think Elizabeth Zimmermann because I love her wry sense of humor and strong sense of self.

8.) What is your favorite by said author? Knitting Without Tears

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? April of this year - while on vacation. Who knew I was changing my life???

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) So far I have used magic loop, but just got some dpns to try that method next.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? I think "big technique" it is knitting in the round, and "small technique" it is tinking and recognizing each stitch and how it sits on the needle for bringing a stitch back up if dropped.

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? I would say fine to medium - prefer around 4 stitches to an inch but okay up to around 6.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? Well, I am just finishing my first one and it was pieced (lace bottom and lace cowl neck so guess it had to be) but my next one will be knit in the round (and as many after that as possible!)

14.) Again, who do wish to send this on to? Enjoy reading all the KH responses!

threesmom
08-01-2007, 04:04 PM
I love reading all the responses! Here's mine ...

1.) What are your favorite things to knit? I'm into a "wrap the knit-love around you" phase, so I'm doing small blankets, shawls, wraps, sweaters. But doing all the long projects, I get such satisfaction out of a quick hat, scarf, or slippers.

2.) What yarn/fiber do you like most? I'm a nature girl ... I like soft cotton, alpaca, soft wools. silk blends ... but my favorite is merino. I love hand-dyed - I almost just can't resist them!

3.) What needles do you tend to use (i.e. type/material)? Almost exclusively my options - I haven't put them down since I opened them.

4.) Do you tend to knit more in one specific part of the year than others? Nope - I just vary the fiber. Right now, I have no desire to knit with wool - it's been all cotten and blends for months. When will it be fall???

5.) What style of knitting do you use? Continental - almost exclusively; I can do English, but not very well.

6.) Do you consider yourself a "fast" knitter? I knit as fast as I knit - not fast, not slow - it's about the feel and the process.

7.) Who is your favorite knitting author? As much as I read and knit, I don't often read knitting books. There are many I'd like to have though. I do love Stephenie Pearl-McPhee's wit, and my favorite designer is Norah Gaughan.

8.) What is your favorite by said author? I'd love to have Knitting Nature

9.) How long ago did you learn to knit? Many, but only usefully about 3 years ago.

10.) How do you knit small in-the-round objects? (i.e. double points, 2 circulars, or the magic loop) I've only done this on dpns, but I'd really love to learn the other techniques.

11.) What is the most useful technique you've learned so far? I don't know how useful it is, but I love making i-cords. Something about straight knitting to get this useful little perfect tube ... it's just so cool.

12.) Do you prefer to knit fine gauge items, mid-range gauge items, or large gauge items, or do you like it all ? Depends on the mood, but normally mid-range. I like using my 7 or 8s.

13.) How do you like to knit your sweaters? I've only done the standard piece type, and I am so looking forward to working on my first one-piece cardigan, and a top-down raglan pullover.