PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Wisdom teeth

PCwombat
08-01-2007, 11:39 PM
So, tomorrow (Thursday) I get my wisdom teeth out. All four of em, even though one came through. I'm am...not nervous, exactly, more not looking forward to the recovery bit. I had oral surgery once before to remove an impacted canine tooth. It was like four years ago, so I don't remember the details of recovery. But, it wasn't fun. And this is going to be worse.

Oh well. At least I can take off from work because of it. Even though I'd rather work. :(

Wish me luck (even though the next time I read this, it'll be done.)

IBAmyB
08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
{{{HUGS}}} I had mine out in high school. I felt well enough to go to a New Year's Eve party the next night!

DH on the other hand didn't do so well (2 yrs ago).

I hope yours goes well!!!

KnittingNat
08-02-2007, 12:51 AM
I had one of them removed and afterwards i was all swollen and had fever for a few days, though i don't think it was because of the surgery, i think a flu caught up on me... Hope everything goes well for you :hug:

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 01:11 AM
I had two bottom ones out on same day.. all I can say is that I had once of the worst headaches afterwards I have ever had. I didn't have pain killers. My parents were away and I was with my grandparents who didn't believe in pain killers and I was in agony. These days dentists etc are aware of potential pain afterwards and can assist with a script thank goodness. The actually removal was fine...mind you..they sometimes have to pull like yanking an old oak tree out of the ground but you have enough anaesthetic not to really notice much but that. So, all I can suggest is being relaxed about the procedure as you'll feel little but just asking about some pain medication for the hours afterwards.

jjminarcik
08-02-2007, 03:15 AM
I had mine out when I was in college. I'm from Georgia, and my family has tons of old sayings, fables, etc. My mom and grandmother told me "the signs had to be right" or I would have a tough time with the surgery. (Said signs being from the Farmer's Almanac) I thought they were full of you-know-what and went ahead with the scheduled surgery even though "the signs were wrong". The procedure was a breeze - but I had the worst recovery ever - swollen, headaches, and those dry sockets things. I had to go to the dentist 2x/wk for about 8 wks for treatment. I then became a firm believer in "The Signs". I know a may sound like a nut, but I wouldn't schedule an oral surgery without checking them first!

I hope everything goes well and I'm not trying to scare you! I wish you the best and easiest recovery ever!

BTW, has anyone else heard of "The Signs"?

vaknitter
08-02-2007, 07:31 AM
:muah: Hope surgery went well and that you are feeling better soon ! Had mine taken out the day after school let out in 8th grade. Back then nothing stopped me so it wasn't too bad. I couldn't raise my heartrate for like 48hrs (something about the stitches) so you'll get lots of
knitting time :woot:

Make lots of jello, avoid salty/spicey foods, get liquid pain meds...surgeon ended up dislocating my jaw to get at the back teeth so couldn't open my mouth more than 1/2" for a couple of weeks....

Stiney
08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I had all four out at once...variously impacted and so on. I wasn't given a choice about going under, which is fine...I didn't want to see them working in my mouth, anyway. :teehee:

Um. Make sure whoever you bring with you to the surgery is going to pay attention to the directions you get from the surgeon. My grandpa drove me, and he thought I would remember, even though I'd just come out of anesthesia. :hmm: Also, the pharmacist contradicted what the surgeon prescribed and told my grandfather I "shouldn't take that many vicodin." Ow. What a mistake.

If you are in pain, take your painkiller. Eat lots of pudding and scrambled eggs. I watched Ren & Stimpy, too, but that's just me. ;) Don't try to go back to work until you are sure you are ready...I had mine out on Friday and tried to go back on Monday, but had to leave halfway through my shift. This is when I worked at B&N, and I was kinda wandering around the store with a dazed look on my face. The jerk-manager said he was surprised I had lasted as long as I did. I messed up punching in and out that day, too. :teehee:

Kaydee
08-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I had all four of mine out at once, they were all impacted. I prepared for it to be horrible, so I didn't think that it was as bad as I thought it was going to be. I took my pain killers, ate sherbet, and watched movies for a few days. Actually, I kind of milked it since it was a bit fun having everyone be so attentive.:teehee:

Eloewien
08-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Carnation instant breakfast :) they're yummy, filling, and easy to drink. They're meant to be meal supplements so it helps when you're hungry. Also- nothing too hot or too cold the first day or so- that goes for tonsils too- they're just sensitive more than sore usually. Hope you do well!

cftwo
08-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I had all 4 of mine out when I was about 15. I was chipmunk-cheeked for nearly a week afterwards, but I did OK. You, too, will survive. Just stock up on lots of soft foods.

angel4ever
08-02-2007, 12:06 PM
WOW!:noway:

These stories make me so glad that I NEVER had any wisdom teeth come in. Yes, no wisdom teeth. I really don't know why though. I had been hearing stories from friends & family about the pain and impactions and all kinds of things.
But I never experienced it at all...
The worst thing I ever experienced was having a root canal last winter, which surprisingly wasn't too bad except for the initial process of getting the novacaine injections.

Sorry you all had somewhat terrible experiences :hug:

Stiney
08-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I was glad that my wisdom teeth came out. I was getting pressure head aches from them. Because the teeth were impacted, they were pushing against other teeth and nerves and giving me BAD headaches.

It was funny...the surgeon I went to had an office that was like 15 minutes away, but I wanted to get it done sooner, so I went to the office 30 minutes away. (Also, they scheduled it for 2 days before my birthday at the closer place. :roll:) So G-pa drove me home, and then stopped to fill the prescription. Meanwhile, the gauze in my mouth had soaked through, so I'm sitting in the car while he gets me drugs, covering my face with my hands as I drool uncontrollably. :rofl:

Mariblue
08-02-2007, 12:19 PM
:hug:Good luck, PC Wombat!:hug:Just make sure you don't do to much afterwards, and take your pain meds if you need them. Lots of rest!

willowangel
08-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I had all four of mine out and once, and one was so far into the bone they had to cut a chunk of that out too - but apart from some anaesthesia problems because of another condition I have, it was fine.

Bloke (and his twin brother) both have two sets of wisdom teeth, I don't envy them.

I had lots of soup and chocolate buttons (they could be slid in through my lips ;-)). And Angel Delight. Hmm....

Good luck!
Fi xxx

bailsmom
08-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Yep, me too! All 4 at once. And they put me under thank god. The worst part of the whole thing was them trying to put the iv in my arm. They couldn't get my vein, OMG, that hurt so bad. Then they took it out and tried the other arm....I wanted to smack them for that part. Other than that, had a week of puffy cheeks and ate lots of spaghettios!!

Of course then one of them started healing from the outside in, and it should heal from the inside out, so they had to pack it with gauze and when I saw how much they put in once I got to the waiting room I almost passed out!! I was so embarrassed. There were people in the waiting room watching me, ugh, it sucked.

Yep, head between the legs and everything....:roll:

misha rf
08-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I hope it goes well!!

I had all four of mine taken out at the same time. I was home from college on Christmas break. I was still covered on my dad's insurance. (Note: he was in the army. An army dentist removed them.)

They did *not* put me under. I was given a ton of novacaine (should I add that I hate shots??), and had to have some of it re-done b/c by the time they got around to the last tooth, it was wearing off. The first one came out fine, but they had to crack the others. And the top left had a really long root...they accidentally poked a hole in my sinus cavity removing it. (Didn't discover that until I'd gone back to school.)

On the bright side, I wasn't in a lot of pain afterward. I *acted* like it hurt to get more sympathy. :rofl: And I did resemble a chipmunk for about a week.

Mrs.H
08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I was also in HS when I had all 4 of mine taken out, plus 2 impacted canine teeth. Thank heaven it was done in the hospital, under a full anth.. Since I had to have so much done, and it took a while to do( those puppies where jammed in there sideways), they kept me in the hospital for 2 days. At least that way I could get my pain meds via shot, instead of having to swallow those pills right off the bat. I was on a full liquid diet for 2 weeks, my jaws were stitched closed(aka wired for a broken jaw). I learned quickly how to puree some of my favorite foods(my grandma was such a sweetie) like chicken and dumplings, ah heck, just about anything and dumplings. Back then I could eat anything I wanted without gaining a pound. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I also got a full week out of school.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you have a swift recovery.
Linda

PCwombat
08-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Aww, thanks so much to everyone!! Well, I had it done at 8 this morning. The surgery bit wasn't too horrible. I have a thing with nitrous oxide, so when they wanted to put me on that, I refused and they just gave me the oxygen part. The IV went right in first time fortunately. And then, all was good. It wasn't complete anathesia. I was somewhat aware, but barely and it went really fast for me. I actually liked it, because I wasn't too groggy or out of it waking up.

The worst part afterwards was definitely the fact that the novacaine made my entire lower lip and chin completely numb for like 6 hours. That really sucked.

But, I'm doing okay now. It's more discomfort than pain. Also, the dentist says it takes a day or so for the swelling to start, but I'm hoping that all the ice I'm doing will help. That, and the percocets.

auburnchick
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
:hug::hug:

Been there, done that...several years ago...three at once.

Just watch for the dry socket thing. There are things they can do to alleviate that pain.

Oh, and the pudding idea is fabulous. I mixed chocolate pudding and whipped cream and froze it in little serving glasses. The cool treat really soothed my mouth.

I hope you rest well! Take care of yourself!

Stiney
08-02-2007, 11:03 PM
:think: That sounds delicious, Nathalie. My mom just stocked up on Cozy Shack (Best. Chocolate Pudding. Everrrrr.) and yogurt. :teehee:

I was under, and then they had to give me more drugs to keep me under longer...I think they had to cut bone, too. :?? Then they gave me more novacaine when I woke up.

auburnchick
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, it was yummy.

The best part about the surgery was the laughing gas. My kids were very young, and I remember the careless, happy feeling as the gas started taking effect. I told the doctor that they needed to pass that stuff out to every mom at the checkout counter of the grocery store (with kids in tow). The last thing I heard was their chuckles.

Kaydee
08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I told the doctor that they needed to pass that stuff out to every mom at the checkout counter of the grocery store (with kids in tow). The last thing I heard was their chuckles.
:roflhard: I can just imagine a bunch of laughing moms racing carts down the aisles with their kids in them.

I hope you're feeling better PCwombat!!!:hug::hug: