PDA

View Full Version : What is the attraction of Ravelry?

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 03:57 AM
I asked on the other thread but I thought I'd pose it here. I'm curious what the key attraction for people is. Is it the expertise, discounts, projects??? This is clearly quite a phenomenal event/happening and I am really curious about it.

minkoo
08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Right now it's because I can't get in, so I'm dying too!

mulene
08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Its the whole kitten caboodle for me. I love the organising things, the way I can click on a pattern and see how it looks made in different yarns, is displayed on different body types and all the colours of the rainbow all that from ONE click. The patterns are there, the groups for various things are there, the WIP / Completed works section for keeping my projects and and and and and and and and and and just EVERYTHING!

sara_jayne
08-02-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm with Mulene! I've been known to be quite anal compulsive and Ravelry will be perfect for me to organize that. I also think it will be a great resource for projects that we've been working on and can really more "see" what others have done.

I'm really far down on the list but I really want in. I probably won't do the fourms on there because I'm here.....but I can't wait to use the search features and the organization features on the site!!!

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 09:50 AM
minkoo..you'd be a sucker for one of those holes in the wall with the 'don't look' sign above it LOL

mulene and sara_jayne..great explanations. I think it marvellous being able to see a pattern like that in all yarns and shapes etc.

Can people create their own site within that site? Or just link blogs like here?

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Forgot to ask..does it cost? If so, what is the per annum fee?

Stiney
08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I LOVE Revelry! Feasting, dancing, drinking... ;)

Ravelry is free. I like it because it's a useful tool...it'll help me organize what I have as far as needles, yarns, etc. It'll help me do research on projects and yarn types, because I can see what other people have done with that yarn/project, and so I can see what problems they've had or alterations or whatever. Saves loads of time on googling.

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Stiney.. I'm being drawn in.. :) when you say it will help you organise your needles etc..how do you mean? I assume they provide some sort of checklist for you to tick off and that you can then print out???

I think the research aspect invaluable.. two thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

dustinac
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I agree with the below...it is nice cause you can organize and see how others may change a pattern up....you can see what different yarns they decided to sub with...I have seen patterns on there that I haven't seen somewhere else...I just love that everything is one click away...want to see tons of sock patterns search socks... or sweaters or baby afghans.. you want to make a certain sock but not sure if a solid or striped yarn would be best... search for just that sock pattern and be amazed at what it would look like in yarns you hadn't even thought of...

I do like the groups you can find others that are working on the same project like the KALs here or just other knitters you have things in common with... Just another way to meet other knitters...

You can link your blog to the site... like when you click into someone's project it says comments, then it has blog posts that list all posts they talked about that project in, then you can add that pattern to your queue or favorites...

It also has a book section that you can put the books you own in... but it will also let you know what book (if you don't own it) you need to get in order to make a project in your queue list..

the needle chart lets you list all your needles/hooks and then you can print a little card if you need to..

just very neat site that makes it very easy for people who knit/crochet to have everything just one click away from them...

Stiney
08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm not actually in yet, so I'm not sure how printable it is, but you can organize all the stuff inside. You can also see what's popular (for instance, Fetching are in the "sample photo" on the main page.

Only 2,474 people in front of me!

Silver
08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I love the fact that you can click one link and see everyone else who's working on the same thing you are, all their photos of it, what yarns they're using, any modifications they've done, or any errata found. That's the MAIN reason I love Ravely... everything else is just icing.

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Silver.. I think that a great resource. Sounds like whomever developed this site really was creative and thorough and knew what knitters like to know. I often think forums..when you use them as a research resource..are great in revealing such things.

Snugglebugmom
08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
I am so far down on the list that I doubt I will get in this year, but I am looking forward to it for much the same reasons that Silver posted. It will be great to see if anyone else is working on the same project, and how they are doing with it.

Kaydee
08-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Everyone has been saying great things about it, so I put my name on the list just to see what it was all about. 1150 people ahead of me right now, and it seems like they're letting in around 100ish each day (I think). I think it'll be great to get everything organized.

Julie
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Exactly what Silver said -- I used to spend all this time googling projects, reading 4568750 knitting blogs to see what people had to say about something I was considering knitting, what their issues were, what yarn they used, etc. It could be really time consuming!

Now = click.

It's the best thing since sliced bread. (And the rest is icing on the cake, indeed. ) :thumbsup:

mulene
08-03-2007, 11:10 AM
yup same as Silver said - but its a LOT of icing :teehee:

Stiney
08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Mmm....cake....

Jan in CA
08-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Mmm....cake....

:roflhard:

I swear it's like a watched pot that won't boil.. :help:

"2448 people are ahead of you in line"

Jill A.
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I am only about 250 from my invitation. I am soooo excited. I am looking forward to using Ravelry to pick new projects, and examine all the yarn choices. I like to go on knittersreview.com to check out yarns, but they don't always have what I am looking for. I think Ravelry will be great for a whole lot of things (like sucking up all the available time in a day!!!)

misha rf
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
GAH!! They sent mine on July 25th!! I sure didn't see it, and I've been checking my spam folder and everything! :doh:

Fortunately, they're going to re-send it. :woot:

I'm so glad I checked!

kristinw
08-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Also, not only is it great to see how people have knitted different projects I like - but I buy yarn without a project in mind usually (it's a problem). So I can go to each yarn in my stash and see the all the projects that have been made with it. It is such a great wealth of information right at your fingertips. It is awesome!

Vendie
08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Sounds like whomever developed this site really was creative and thorough and knew what knitters like to know. I often think forums..when you use them as a research resource..are great in revealing such things.

This is exactly why the site has been in beta for so long. They've been using those of us who signed up to be testers to really make the site as useful as possible. They've been wonderful in implementing suggestions, fixing bugs, and just creating a wonderful community. And the people who have offered to be editors have been great in fixing links and references, deleting duplicate yarns, etc.

I have to reiterate one of the better parts of the site, which is research ability. I've been interested in making some modifications to the Stag Bag from Knitting Daily, and I've been able to find some really good ideas from other knitters without having to scan hundreds of blogs. It's so helpful to know the quirks of a pattern, sizing issues, how it works in different yarns, etc. Having that information in one place is invaluable. It's also a great way to discover patterns you might not have been exposed to otherwise. I think all of this is what Jess and Casey have been trying to emphasize. Sure it's great to organize your own work and collection, but really, the thing that makes Ravelry truly unique is just the wealth of information at your fingertips.

Susan P.
08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Vendie, Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I was actually in a meeting yesterday and spoke to a CEO about the fact that the large research companies here really don't yet 'get' the wealth of online communities and what they have to offer in terms of research insights and then outcomes. You've given a great exemplar in your explanation of how effective the Beta system is and then the brilliant outcomes that can emerge from knitters (the people who love the craft and want to better it) having direct opportunities to improve the system.

You and your fellow testers appear to have done an excellent job.

Two things. Is there much advertising on the site?? I'm also wondering how, and I guess this tags into the question re the advertising, the revelry folk are affording to run the site if its free. How are they accruing an income from it to maintain it?

Vendie
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
From their "About" page:

The site will always be free for designers, independent dyers, spinners, crocheters and knitters! We want it to be an inclusive community- not just for those who can pay for it. Instead, we are planning to have tasteful and targeted ads- products and companies that we as a community will actually be interested in and want to support!So, yes, there is advertising on the site. But it's not your typical Google ads or things that would otherwise not interest the fiber arts community (i.e. ads for online pharmacies or financial planning). The ads blend in quite nicely and are often supplied by independent dealers. For example, in the yarns section, the front page has a featured yarn (right now it's an indie dyer) and it displays a very tasteful photo with a description of this particular fiber artist and what he sells and what he's offering Ravelry users. On other pages, there are smaller ads from other indie dyers/shops. It's all very well done.

There was talk among the beta testers about whether or not the site should have a "Pro" element, like Flickr. What should "Pro" users get that normal users don't, etc. I think what Casey and Jess have decided to do is fore go the "Pro" element and leave it as a "give as you can/want" donation system. They truly appreciate the donations, but they never intended on making this a fee-for-service site.

Susan P.
08-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Once again..thanks for that. I would not support a 'pro' version either. There's an instant exclusive feel to that - the have and have not group - and if you want a truly cohesive community I think that feature best to avoid.
This is a wonderful example to many other fields. It was interesting talking to a CEO of a significant sporting/surf corporation about knitting :) He was truly quite interested tho and that was great.

hunterjenn
08-04-2007, 12:56 AM
You know, the advertising is so tasteful that I haven't even noticed it! :teehee:

Hallegold
08-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Okay, it sounds like a wonderful site. What is the link to be added to the wait list?

Vendie
08-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Just go to www.ravelry.com...there's a spot to sign up as a tester. Chances are though, that they'll be opening up the site for everyone soon. I think they're just ironing out hardware/support issues at this point.

mornnen
08-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I've signed up too! With all this talk about Ravelry, I had to check it out, and I was really impressed with what I saw. I figure I'm going to get my invite sometime in Nov or December, as there are only about 14,000 people ahead of me. But that's okay, I have a few other things on my plate to keep me busy.:teehee:

Mornnen

earthchick
08-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Just to ditto what everyone else has said, the research capabilities are phenomenal. I don't think I'll ever have to google a pattern or a yarn again! It's like a one-stop shop. And the possibilities for searching just seem to be multiplying all the time, as new features and new users are added. Search by pattern, by yarn, by designer, by popularity. Clicks on "Friends' Activity" and see what all your friends have been up to (what they've cast on, what they've added to their queue, what yarn they've stashed). The groups/forums are adding another dimension as well.

Here's a for instance on how cool the search stuff is. On vacation, I bought some Handmaiden Sea Silk simply b/c it called my name. Didn't know what I was going to do with it. Got on Ravelry. Searched under yarn for Sea Silk and got to look at every single project that anyone there was doing with that yarn. I saw a few shawls I liked, for instance the Gothic Leaf Shawl. It told me how many people were doing that particular shawl, and I could look at every one of those projects (those in Sea Silk, those not). See how people rated the pattern in terms of both difficulty and overall satisfaction. Could read people's notes about the pattern. Could follow links to other patterns by the same designer. Found a Gothic Leaf Shawl someone was working on that I particularly liked. Clicked on "Add to Favorites" so I won't lose track of it (now it's in my notebook). Clicked on "Comment" and sent a question to the knitter about it. After she answered my questions, then I clicked on "Add to Queue" and it asked me things like what yarn I was going to use, what needles, when I wanted to finish it. Then when I was ready to cast on, I went to my cue and clicked "Cast On." I didn't have to add any new information about yarn and needles, b/c it was all there.

That's just one small "for instance." Multiply that by many possible searches, and you can see why it's such a time suck! :zombie:

Add to that the ability to catalog and organize your own stash, projects, and plans, and it is just completely amazing. :woot: And the more people who get added, the better it gets!

Carrie218
08-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Can anyone explain WHY it is so exclusive? What is the point of not letting lots of people utilize the site - or filtering them in a few at a time???

Jan in CA
08-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Can anyone explain WHY it is so exclusive? What is the point of not letting lots of people utilize the site - or filtering them in a few at a time???

It's not exclusive at all. They are in beta which means they are testing, improving and upgrading all the time. The reason not to let everyone in at once is because it could bring the servers and everything to a screaming halt. It has be gradual till all the bugs are worked out I think. Hopefully. :teehee:

Vendie
08-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Yep that's right. If they opened it up without having the infrastructure in place to handle the flood of sign-ups, no one would be able to use the site.

They were absolutely NOT expecting the response that they got to this project. I think they were expecting a few thousand people, not the tens of thousands that have been trying to get in.

Once they know that their servers and networks and all that jazz can handle the volume, they'll open it up for everyone.

Susan P.
08-05-2007, 08:31 AM
What's it up to..about 30,000 or is it more now? Incredible response.

geekgolightly
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM

It's not exclusive. As soon as it is out of Beta mode it will be ready for everyone. Beta mode is a "test" mode for websites. In order to get all of the bugs out and ensure that the server can handle the amount of users before ten thousand people sign up and crash the system set off all the bugs that are inevitible in any freshly scripted program.

That's all. I promise. They want to be open for business as soon as humanly possible. It just takes time.

edit to say I shoulda read the rest of the thread! Everyone has explained it well.

suzeeq
08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
After they have the testing done, will it be open for people to just browse the site who would not want to put up photos and things?

Vendie
08-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I do believe that's the intention. I don't know if you'll need to have an account to browse or not.

The only reason why the general public hasn't been able to see Ravelry yet is just b/c of the testing. But once they "go-live", you should be able to get in and poke around with no problems.

suzeeq
08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Vendie.

Susan P.
08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks also Vendie for the responses on the topic. I also would like at some stage to look at the site but before I consider joining; simply because whilst pattern work would be marvelous for me, so many yarns aren't applicable here I'm not sure the overall value against that. I decided not to take a number in the line on that basis as I felt it was better a US person got in rather than me. However, that said, I'd love to explore and learn.

ADAllen
08-26-2007, 11:58 PM
So, I've been looking around Ravelry today and I confess it is everything I wished for and more. But one thing is bothering me :( Do we have to take pictures of yarn for our stash? Most of my yarn is from KnitPicks and until I get a chance to take pictures, I'd be happy to use the ones they already have up on their site. I realize that each dyelot is going to be a little different and I like the opportunity to use my own pictures, but I'm sure KP spent considerable time and money on lighting so the colors would be as accurate looking as possible.

dakatzmeow
08-27-2007, 06:11 AM
i'm loving it for all the reasons mentioned, and for the inspiration i get! i know i want to knit thrummed mittens for my girls this winter. i typed thrum in the search box and found a gazillion pairs to drool over. then you can click on a pair you like and read notes about them, what pattern they used, etc. love it!

zkimom
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm really enjoying Ravelry -- in fact more than I thought I would.

I will second and third everyone's comments that the ability to research projects, patterns and yarns is invaluable.

There are some great groups to be a part of and I have already found neighbors in the town I live in who are on Ravelry. In fact, one person works at the Town Hall here and I will probably see her this week when I go to pay some taxes. (hmm, I wonder if she knows about KH?)

I found a homeschool group, a group of Connecticut knitters, and our very own KH group (yay, love you guys!)

I like being able to use the site as a notebook for all my projects and for my project queue.

In fact, I haven't found anything that I don't like yet.

Except for the fact that all of y'all aren't on yet. But you will be and then we can :grphug:

Best,
Susan

kristinw
08-27-2007, 10:01 AM
So, I've been looking around Ravelry today and I confess it is everything I wished for and more. But one thing is bothering me :( Do we have to take pictures of yarn for our stash? Most of my yarn is from KnitPicks and until I get a chance to take pictures, I'd be happy to use the ones they already have up on their site. I realize that each dyelot is going to be a little different and I like the opportunity to use my own pictures, but I'm sure KP spent considerable time and money on lighting so the colors would be as accurate looking as possible.

You don't have to take pictures. But you most definitely can not use the Knit Picks pictures. That would be copyright infringement. Big no no. But you view your stash in a nice list form so you won't see the empty picture boxes.

ADAllen
08-27-2007, 11:08 AM
You don't have to take pictures. But you most definitely can not use the Knit Picks pictures. That would be copyright infringement. Big no no. But you view your stash in a nice list form so you won't see the empty picture boxes.
Why would it be copyright infrigement? (I believe you I just don't understand) They have the pictures of the books I own.

SusanMarie1956
08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
HOW DO YOU JOIN??? If you a have link, would you please post it???

Thank You!

bip
08-27-2007, 11:25 AM
You go to www.ravelry.com (http://www.ravelry.com), sign up and then wait.

I should have signed up way back when people first started talking about it (maybe Jan/Feb?) I just signed up recently and here are my stats:

You signed up on August 14, 2007
You are #25536 on the list.
14966 people are ahead of you in line.
3571 people are behind you in line.
35% of the list has been invited so far

suzeeq
08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Why would it be copyright infrigement? (I believe you I just don't understand) They have the pictures of the books I own.

Knitpicks has permission from the authors or publishers to show the books. So you would have to get their permission to reproduce the yarn photos.

callagain
08-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Ravelry, for me, is the perfect knitting research tool! I can see what other people have done with a particular pattern or yarn, how it turned out, and if I'm lucky, their opinions of the pattern or yarn. It is also a great go-to source for inspiration. I am very excited about it's potential once everyone is signed up and they switch over from beta.

ChristinaKnits
08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
another thing I love, is it has seperate places for your stash that you want to sell or trade, so people can check it out right from your profile. I love just browsing everyone's stash...it's sad really...now I don't knit as much :(

mulene
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
gah how are you adding that little ravelry button in your sigs! I wanna know and can't see how! :P

Jan in CA
08-27-2007, 12:25 PM
gah how are you adding that little ravelry button in your sigs! I wanna know and can't see how! :P

You can get it here and (save to your computer and upload to Flikr) and then put it in your sig via UserCP.
http://blog.ravelry.com/2007/05/02/were-getting-there/

ChristinaKnits
08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
go here (http://www.ravelry.com/wiki/show/Ravelry-inspiredworks) and snag a button and then upload to your Flickr, and then link it from your signature :)

ADAllen
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Knitpicks has permission from the authors or publishers to show the books. So you would have to get their permission to reproduce the yarn photos.Is there any word on if they are trying to get permission from various yarn dealers to use their pictures? Or am I just the only person who would like to have the option of a pre-inputted picture?

Jan in CA
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Is there any word on if they are trying to get permission from various yarn dealers to use their pictures? Or am I just the only person who would like to have the option of a pre-inputted picture?

You mean for your stash pictures? If you use pictures from yarn sites it's not really your stash so why do you want to use them? I'm confused...:?? I don't have pix of my stash either.

ADAllen
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
You mean for your stash pictures? If you use pictures from yarn sites it's not really your stash so why do you want to use them? I'm confused...:?? I don't have pix of my stash either.
I know it is not my stash, but their pictures look more like my stash than my pictures do. :(

Jan in CA
08-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I see, but I think they want to see your stash. You don't have to post one now. You can wait till you get a better photo. Mine don't look so hot either. :teehee:

Vendie
08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
They're not taking the same approach as they are with publishers and designers, as far as I know. Ravelry relies on pictures from users, so if there's a yarn in need of a picture, and someone has one from their stash, they can "submit" it.

kristinw
08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Is there any word on if they are trying to get permission from various yarn dealers to use their pictures? Or am I just the only person who would like to have the option of a pre-inputted picture?

I don't think they will ever use the yarn dealers pictures. Right now they have finally gotten the okay for 2 pattern publishers to use their copyrighted photos (Interweave and someone else I'm forgetting). I would assume they have permission to use the book photos.

Jens
08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
How long of a wiat is there?? I'm the last in line...#18,987 well something like that lol!!
Jen

mrslevite
08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
How long of a wiat is there?? I'm the last in line...#18,987 well something like that lol!!
JenYou're not last now - I am! :D

Found you!

* You signed up on Today
* You are #29473 on the list.
* 18782 people are ahead of you in line.
* 7 people are behind you in line.
* 35% of the list has been invited so far

Arielluria
09-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I just signed up. Can't wait for it to be ready!
:flirt:

knitncook
09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen this mentioned, but there is a video tour http://www.ravelry.com/tour/video/preview that you can watch to see all the features. Only 23443 people ahead of me ROFL!

Krystal
09-07-2007, 10:50 PM
well I signed up over a month ago, (aug 5) had 23257 ahead of me.

Now I have 11661 ahead of me. By the time I am invited it will be free for everyone no waiting.

:pray: