PDA

View Full Version : Yarn? Winter Scarf/Hat with no wool....

chrislt8
08-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, my mind is turning to Christmas presents and I would like to knit a winter hat/scarf for my sister who is allergic to all wools - any ideas for yarn that would be soft and warm that would knit up nicely for a cuddly scarf, but contain no wool? I am looking for something nice for next to the skin and just haven't come across the "right" yarn yet. Thanks for any ideas!

Susan P.
08-02-2007, 08:51 AM
You could double knit in a cotton..or use a fake fur yarn or eyelash. I presume you don't want angora either because of the allergy so those are out. If you really want to stress 'warm', you could knit in a fake fur and back it with polar fleece. Polar fleece in itself makes nice scarves. You overlock or turn in the edges and then you could add a fringe of fake fur or similar.

candicane
08-02-2007, 08:55 AM
How about a silk or silk blend. Silk is also a good insulator.

Candice

minkoo
08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
What about bamboo? Or maybe soy, but I'm not that familiar with it so I don't know if it would work. There's also linen, rayon, & hemp.

mulene
08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Cotton Chenille is lovely and soft and toasty warm!

chrislt8
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys - knew you would have good suggestions! I like the idea of the silk and the Cotton Chenille - I'll take a look at those...

holamiis
08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
You could try Paton's Soy Wool Stripes or SWS. They've got great colors and it is oh, so soft. Michael's just started carrying it.

chrislt8
08-02-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks for the suggestion holamiis - I am not familiar with those yarns, but have a Michael's in town so I will check them out :-)