PDA

View Full Version : The Yarn Harlot........has me IN STITCHES!!!!!!!

Arielluria
08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I just started The Yarn Harlot last night and I couldn't put it down for almost 50 pages........I was snickering in bed with my nightlight. :teehee:

DH kept asking me what I was snickering about (while he was trying to fall asleep)........knitters just don't understand so I told him "never mind". ;)

I kept snickering through the first few stories, then DH stated "only silent books allowed in bed". :roflhard: I then tried to disguise my laughs as coughs. I've been coughing a lot lately, so it was believable!

The tale of the green afghan had me.........in stitches.........as did the weddings sweaters......:rofl:

The author is coming to my town on 9/18, I wish I could go see her!

Thanks to Teenknitter for recommending it and Yarnmommy for selling it to me! I love books which have been previously, lovingly read.
:muah:

Ingrid
08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I've read it 3 times and still get a kick out of it!:rofl:

My favorite line is about comparing having children and knitting--in both instances you end up with something you have to hand wash.:teehee:

IBAmyB
08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I haven't read it yet, but it keeps catching my eye at the local bookstore....

(Your doggie is too cute!!!)

Stiney
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Haven't read her books yet, but I LOVE her blog!

beppermee
08-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I plan on reading this soon, as I love Stephanie-Pearl McFee's writing. She is hysterical. I wish I could be that funny :)

samm
08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I love Stephanie's books, although I'm still waiting to find The Yarn Harlot somewhere. :O) If you can, do go see her. I did and it was wonderful! Hope you can go.

PaperGirl
08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Ive got Knitting Rules...but I want this book too.

knitwit628
08-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I read this recently and love the book! I :roflhard: a lot at her stories. Great book! :)

feministmama
08-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I have em all. I went to see her when she came to PDX (they didn't have enough chairs! THey kept telling her "Oh we don't need anymore chairs" for a room to seat appox 100 people. 300 people showed up!) and I read her blog every other day. She cracks me up i:heart: yarnharlot

orcoastknitter
08-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I got to see her in PDX as well. She is hilarious!

PaperGirl
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I just ordered it on Amazon. Found it for 1.23.

Quiltlady
08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I have all of her books. I think my favorite is the "Yarn Harlot" one. I remember laughing out loud many times while reading it.:woot:

My least favorite is her latest book. I've owned it for months now and just can't get thru it. Don't think I've laughed yet with that one.:shrug:

MrsAbi
08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I haven't read it and didn't have plans to, but I think I just might have to swing by the library and pick it up now.

slightly addicted to yarn
08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I love this book, it is so funny and after reading it the first time I have picked it up again often when I just feel like a bit of light, insightful writing - well worth buying inmho.

Mrs.H
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I haven't read that one yet, but I have read her book "Knitting Rules!", and it had me laughing out loud also. Now I'm going to buy her other books, does anyone know if their availble on audio CD, so I can knit and laugh at the same time.
Linda

Snugglebugmom
08-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I have it and I love it! I laughed out loud the whole time too, and my DH also kept asking "what's so funny?" It's hard to explain to a non-knitter. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is the funniest knitting author I know.

chrislt8
08-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, you all did it to me - After reading these posts I couldn't resist and picked the book up on my lunch hour today, so guess I know what I'll be doing tonight :eyes:

I read her blog, but this is the first of her books for me so I am really looking forward to it:happydance: Thanks for enabling! What could be better than knitting and reading combined?!

Arielluria
08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I read a total of 80 pages last night....during mid-afternoon, and then by nightlight in bed again ;) :roflhard:

I had to explain to my mom when I snickered about the "bastard squirrel".........whom she "had it on good authority his parents weren't married". :roflhard:

Now I can't wait to read Knitting Rules too. I've added it to my Froogle wish list, so DH will know EXACTLY what to get me at Christmas. I only wish shopping for HIM were that easy!

IrishKnitter
08-03-2007, 05:24 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Isn't she hilarious??? I've read her first book, plus Knitting Rules, and Yarn Harlot Casts Off. They're all just as funny!!! :rofl: I think I read on her blog about her doing the reading for the audiobooks...so you (hopefully) should be able to buy them somewhere.

cds11
08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I've just started reading this today after getting it from the library, so far I'm definitely enjoying it! Reading this post is what made me borrow it, and if it keeps up the way it's going, I might just have to buy it to keep it around to cheer me up with a good laugh every now and again.

G J
08-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I tried to get order it from our library but they don't have it.:wall: Guess I'll need to buy it if it's as good as y'all say it is!

Arielluria
08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
You can get it cheap online used at www.amazon.com. ;)

G J
08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
So which book is the BEST? I'm checking Amazon and see she has several. What do you recommend? I've also been reading her blog. Do the books follow the blog?

Arielluria
08-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't know myself, this is the first one I've read. I hear Knitting Rules (I think that's the name) someone else mentioned is also LOL funny. That will be my next one.

newknitteraswell
08-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I too read the yarn harlot's blog and love it. although I don't have time to do it much anymore.

IrishKnitter
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
So which book is the BEST? I'm checking Amazon and see she has several. What do you recommend? I've also been reading her blog. Do the books follow the blog?

Her first book, which I think is just called The Yarn Harlot, has some similarities to VERY early entries in her blog. I would say that one is a good one to start with. But really, you can't go wrong! :thumbsup:

G J
08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
:woohoo:I just got "Knitting Rules" from my secret swap!:woohoo:I've already started it. It is LOL funny!

raederle
08-07-2007, 03:42 PM
While I love all YH's books, when I sent my non-knitting sister as a surrogate to the Burlington signing for me the other day, I told her to get At Knit's End. The YH could only sign books, not bookplates like I suggested she bring, and I didn't mail mine to my sister to get them signed. I figure we'll swap copies, and sis can read the one page meditations without feeling any pressure to finish the book, and still get a good glimpse into our world.

And I will get a signed copy of her book, plus my sister's notes on what she talked about and what it was like to be there. My sis was shocked that there were so many knitters, even though I warned her! She got shy and didn't ask for a photo with the great one. Someday I'll get close enough to go myself, but not while I'm in El Paso.

feministmama
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
She's at Powells too

http://www.powells.com/s?author=Stephanie%20Pearl-McPhee

Gotta plug for independant booksellers :teehee:

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Finished it last night. Got it yesterday evening.

The chapter about her friend with arthritis made me cry. And the doula. :(

A very entertaining book. I found myself coming to terms with some of the same issues she had.... and thanking the gods I have a patient hubby. :roflhard:

Arielluria
08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Are you a speed reader or WHAT?!?!?

I have only a few pages to go. The green afghan and the squirrel were the funniest to me. I won't ruin the ending, but the last line made me LOL!

The friend with arthritis made me sad too, and I pray I NEVER have to give up knitting - unless I WANT to!

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
I am a fast reader. I read the whole final Harry Potter in 10 hours. 7 if you take away dinner, potty breaks, and household stuff. :roflhard:

SOME people in my house decided they just HAD to eat...:nails:

Got it at 3:30 PM, finished it at 2 AM.

Arielluria
08-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I finished the book quite a few days ago. I didn't have a chance to post. I loved it so much I immediately started re-reading it!:teehee: