PDA

View Full Version : How (When) do you knit when you're a busy housewife/mother/carreer woman (man)?

Nichan
08-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi...i would like to hear your experience about 'stealing' time to knit...

i can't imagine if the knitters with the kids...ah, they have to be the first priority arent they?:happydance:...but sometimes knitter's soul is inside, and it's missing to knit...i haven't had kids right now...but with my husband right now...ah, he always looks for attention...so i rarely knit when he's acting like that...but sometimes, i need time for my self by doing what i like...it's quite hard when you got married...i'm still adapting with this situation...but this knitter's soul starts to grow...:happydance:...when i knit, i hardly stop it...but i still have to pay attention to my family right?...

so, how do you manage your time in doing this hobby while ofcourse families are the first...
Have you ever postpone a very small, simple project for weeks (more time than you can do) because of this "home-carreer"?

thanks

Ingrid
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
My housekeeping has changed dramatically since I became knitting-obsessed. Well, maybe not dramatically, since I've always hated cleaning. I have learned to be more efficient, though, and reward myself with knitting time.

I spend most of my awake time with my 7-year-old grandson, and he's used to me having knitting all the time. I put it down, of course, to do hands-on things with him, but if I'm sitting and watching, I'm knitting.

In fact, yesterday we were at a small frog pond, and he said that he liked it better the day before because I spotted more frogs because I didn't have my stooopid knitting.

I reminded him that we'd been there 2 hours because of my stoopid knitting, and I found my fair share of frogs thankyouverymuch.

From the time he goes to bed until I go to bed, that's straight knitting/KH time for me, too.

dustinac
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
:teehee: late nights and great husband who says I'll take over so you can knit...I also keep things on the needles I can do without thinking...so if we are outside and the kids are content then I can knit while I watch them and if I have to drop it at a second's notice I can... My little girl loves to watch me knit so a lot of times my son will be drawing or diddling while she is content to sit on my lap and just watch me... sometimes she "helps" me...somedays I have a lot of knitting time and others I don't have time to even look at my needles... :thumbsup:

Ariane100
08-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm a full-time Ph.D. students and have two daughters, 5 1/2 and 3 y.o. I mostly knit after they're asleep, but this means the house is a mess a lot of the time. I also knit during weekend mornings while they watch a movie. I find other moments here and there, but not much. My husband is not the clingy type at all, rather the contrary, so he doesn't mind my not devoting myself to him.

I don't get to knit many hours per week, but it's better than nothing.

Knitting_Guy
08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, I am not a housewife or mother. I do have a job ( I quit the career thing more than 10 years ago). I keep my knitting close and knit whenever I have a few minutes.

In my experience most people have more spare time than they think they do once they eliminate unnecessary crap from their lives. I make a point of keeping my life as simple as possible and most of the time I have time for whatever I want. Not always of course, but more often than not.

These days a lot of people's "busy" day includes a few hours sitting in front of the idiot box. That's wasted time as far as I am concerned. I'd rather sit outside and knit a bit while enjoying some fresh air and the sounds of nature.

Make the kids wash the dishes and spend that time knitting :shrug:

AnotherBecca
08-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm a teacher and last year, I needed to finish a baby blanket by the weekend, so I took it out to recess with me everyday and knit on the playground!
I also sometimes take a no-brainer project with me to a faculty meeting or a study group. People always comment on how "amazing" it is that I can knit and be involved in the discussion at once (little do they know!)
Last year, I was the sponsor of the school Scrapbook Club and I often took my knitting with me since the kids were pretty self-sufficient. That sparked an interest and now there are a bunch of students begging me to do a Knitting Club instead this year (but that would mean I'd get less personal knitting done!)

auburnchick
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I've tried to set aside Sundays for knitting (or whatever "fun" I want to do). I'm a mom of two teens, I work 30 hours a week, and I take college classes. My dd plays soccer two hours away.

Finding time to knit is very, very challenging. Hence my desire for Sundays (although that will be challenging during the next two months since I'm taking four classes).

As far as housework, can you please define the term? :teehee:

My kids have a chore list, and I fill in when I can. But my house is dirty, and it just doesn't really matter to me. We're too busy running to keep the floor washed (in fact, I can't remember the last time I did a full-on cleaning). We do the best we can.

Hygiene Mama
08-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I usually knit after my kids go to bed, it's my "me" time, unless dh interrupts it!:wink:

There are days that I just sit and knit, make lunch for the kids, clean up, knit, fix supper, knit....etc. That hasn't happened in a long time!

Also, I bring my knitting to work and do it there sometimes. Needless to say, I have about 4 unfinished projects I need to get done.

downthestream
08-02-2007, 11:47 PM
My children are older now, but even when they were little I scheduled a "girls night out" to be with friends for dinner and coffee. Now my coffee time is an evening knitting group that meets at a coffee house every week, or sometimes every other week. Knitting in public is a great way to multi-task -- knitting and bonding with friends.

Rhea
08-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, i don't fit the criteria exactly, I am a high school student in honors classes (read:I get a LOT of homework) and I do all the household chores because my mom works so much and my little brother is less willing to help me clean than a rock.

I find times here and there thoughout the day to knit. I knit when the oven is pre-eating or when waiting for water to boil, or when i'm reading articles online (only if it's mindless knitting for that though) when I take the dogs out in the yard, or if I get frustrated on homework, I'll take a quick knitting break to clear my head.

In short, any time i'm not doing anything else or could be multi-tasking, I'm knitting!

Jen17
08-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I know what you mean about the grandchildren. I have 3 and 1 on the way.
I am always knitting, in the car, at the ball field. They came to visit a couple of weeks ago and all three of them were lined up on the couch with me "knitting"! The 11 year old Jason, knew what he was doing (sorta!) and the 4 and 2 year old "know" they know what they are doing! My only regret is that there was no one around to take a picture of all of us!!!!
If there is a way to knit...I'm doing it! On the beach and on a deck on a lake in Maine last week while I watched a beaver swim out in the middle of the lake.

aineepooh1
08-03-2007, 02:23 AM
I take mine to work and do it on my lunch break. I find it very relaxing after dealing with (sometimees) very difficult people all day. It helps me keep my sanity ( and my temper) in check. I also knit/crochet in front of the tv. or while sitting on the couch talking to someone.. I can do both now ..:thumbsup:

KnittingNat
08-03-2007, 03:27 AM
well, we don't have children yet, but we work full time jobs and have 3 pets to clean after. When do i knit? Mostly in the evening, after dinner and chores. Luckily, my DH loves my hobbies and while i knit, we watch a movie on the computer or talk or he keeps himself busy with something else. We don't own a TV, so it saves us a lot of time :cheering:. I'm not a cleaning freak and so is my DH, so we clean when we can. With all the hairs flying around the house, there's no point in obsessive cleaning :shrug:.I don't know how about children, when will i have the time, but i hope i will be able to find this special time for me. Especially if i won't bathe the baby 3 times a day like everyone else in this country (if your baby is not smelling from soap and fabric softener - you're a bad mother:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:), i think i'll find the time to knit:happydance:.

Limey
08-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi

I'm learning to knit as I walk and chew gum, all at the same time.

There were two large cotton mills in my home town and women who worked in the deafening Weaving Shed could walk around and check the looms while knitting - it passed the time, as they couldn't really speak to each other above the horrendous clatter of the machines.

A skilled weaver could be working about three to four looms but if one of them hit a snag and had to be closed down, her money was docked for every minute the loom was out of action - so they needed something to do while being able to constantly check the looms and the Shetland style of knitting enabled them to do this.

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/01/circular-needles-back-and-forth-round.html
(just scroll down the page a little way and you'll see the drawing).

So, anyway, thought I'd give it a whirl in my back garden - once I'm on the grass, I'm ok - but I've got His Hubbiness levelling out the paving flags - he doesn't mind doing it - in fact, he says it's better than having to keep nipping out and buying band aid and splints.

Yours, tripping over the daisies.

Karrying Kolor
08-03-2007, 07:02 AM
In corporate life, now as a small business owner, mother, wife, etc...I have always knit and crocheted anywhere at any time...even if it's just a few rows or rounds.

I think it's a matter of having patience with the craft, not looking for immediate gratification and just enjoying the process every little chance you get...making it a natural extention of what you do everyday...Then it doesn't seem so intrusive to the un-affected! LOL ;)

Good luck!

GinnyG
08-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I ALWAYS have a knitting bag with a project with me, you never know when those "knitable" moments might occur. I ride to work with DH so I get a solid 40 minutes of knitting in every work day. When ever we go somewhere I knit in the car.

I am also a volunteer EMT, I cover two shifts a week at the fire house which requires me to be on premises, it's a WONDERFUL opportunity to do something good and have guilt free knitting time (between calls). My FAVORITE time of the month is when I cover a 48 hour shift (every 4 weeks) and can knit knit knit.

I also can knit simple projects while I do my daily treadmill.

cftwo
08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I knit (or cross stitch) while I listen to NPR in the morning. I bring my knitting to work since it's a good "thinking activity", though I don't get much done there. I have found that I can read online articles and knit easily, too - unlike my classroom reading, where I have a pencil in hand to make margin notes.

newamy
08-03-2007, 09:42 AM
I work part time and have a husband and two kids. This summer I've done a lot of knitting at DD ballet class and at the kid's swimming lessons. Can you beleive that the aquatic center is full of parents watching kids swim and I'm the only one knitting? So far no one has commented.
I knit in the evenings or intermittently through the day if it is my day off. I try to get household jobs out of the way first though on my days off. Though sometimes I'm really excited by a project and practical concerns go by the wayside...

itsjustmeghan
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
i knit on my lunch break. i started giving knitting and crocheting classes in my office last november, so now i have a knitting circle (male and female) that meet pretty much every day to stitch, eat and talk. i love it!
our office is closing, and we've all decided that we're going to meet once a month and rotate houses so we can still chat and people can still ask me questions about their new projects and techniques.

astonh
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Married with a 2.5 and a 1.5 year old kids. Also work full time and commute a minimum of 2 hours a day (yes, that part sucks). I bring my knitting with me to work. That doesn't mean I work on it every day BUT if I find myself deciding to not go out for lunch, I'll eat something at my desk and then spend the rest of my lunch trying to knit a couple of rows. When I get home, that is another whole challenge. Usually knit a few stitches, or rows if I'm lucky, right before I go to bed. If I'm in the middle of a row when I decide to go ahead and fall asleep, I just be sure to mark the needles so I know which one I'm pulling off and which one yarn is moving to (as a beginner knitter and all of the above mentioned things, I can't remember which direction I was working if I'm in the middle of row. LOL). It is, as everyone has noted, not exactly "easy" but we all "steal" a few minutes here and there when we can.

Best of luck to you.

SusanMarie1956
08-03-2007, 10:03 AM
[B]

With me, I knit about anytime. Unless I'm running to the store or on other errands. BUt I usually have a small knitting baskert with me that has everything i need for one project. ( Right now that project is knitting the squares for the blanket I'm making.)

I'm 50. A housewife & wife. We ave been married 29 years. In June it will be 30 years.

He knows I like my knitting. But he comes first. MyMaltese , Sissy. she doesn't like it at all. She doesn't even like it when I grab for my yarn or knitting needles because that means I won't be playing with her if I have the knitting in my hands. SO we compromise. SHE SITS IN MY LAP WHILE I KNIT! She loves that!

Susan

marykz
08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I work in small bits- when we are watching TV at night, or on a long car drive, or waiting in line somewhere like the division of motor vehicles.... if my daughter is absorbed in an activity (like a craft or coloring) I can do a bit- or when I take her to a play date/ playground I sit with the other mom(s) and knit...

I often use knitting time as my reward. if I get 5 files done, and start dinner, I can sit and knit. or if I get the laundry started and the bathroom scrubbed- time to knit.

I'm lucky I have a hubby who really does share the work in the house and with our daughter. he's just as good at doing dishes and house chores as I am (well, actually he's better!!!).

it is all about spending time wisely, and making time for what is important to you. I'm interested to read all the other responses for tips!

Julie
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm married, work part-time, and have two kids, ages 4 and almost-7. (I started knitting when they were 1 and 4.) One of the reasons I started knitting was because it was something I *could* do with small children -- there are quite a few things that I absolutely love doing that don't fit in well with my lifestyle right now. I'm guessing that I'll pick them up again when my kids are a little older. For now, knitting is the perfect hobby because I can do it anywhere! There is so much waiting -- during lessons, classes, practices, games, appointments -- I bring it everywhere. And it makes me much less cranky. :)

The thing that irritates me is when people say, "oh, I'd neeever have time to do that" or, "you're so lucky you have time to do that" like I'm sitting around knitting all day, lol, which is soooo not the case. I'm quite busy, and have a lot going on most days, but I really think that when you have a busy life you need to find hidden time for things that you love. :thumbsup:

cookworm
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Late at night, while the kids and husband are sleeping. I either knit in bed with a little light or I knit on the couch during that time. Occasionally, I can knit while my littlest one is napping, but I usually have to utilize that time for housework. It makes me tired the next day, but I can't tell you how many times I finished a project that I was needing to get done during that time, even if it's at 3:00 a.m. But what a sense of accomplishment! And a lot of times, I can't sleep anyway if I have an unfinished project looming over my head.

Rhea
08-03-2007, 11:44 AM
And a lot of times, I can't sleep anyway if I have an unfinished project looming over my head.

*nod*

I completely understand that. Projects DO loom.

Lobug
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
If I'm sitting, I'm knitting. With 3 kids under 6, that's usually at nap and bedtime. I try to maximize my time--I have a knitting project at the places I sit the most, so I never have to hunt for my knitting. Also, I keep a simple project in my purse for when we are at the park, or DH is driving, or any other time away from the house that I might be able to knit.

stirsmommy
08-03-2007, 01:12 PM
I am a homeschooling mom to three. knitting is my soother so it must be done! The older two do most of their class work on there own after instruction. The youngest needs more me time but I can knit while he sits next to me at his desk. I knit mostly in the afternoon while art projects or down time is happening. Also if i can convince someone else to drive i knit in the car. I too knit in the park, on playdates or anywhere else. i am a fidgety type person and i find that knitting soothes that. i am not so bouncy when I am knitting.

jodstr2
08-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm married, and my husband and I work full time away from the house. I have a 14 yr old stepson. I knit when I can - while sitting at his tae kwon do lessons, while sitting in medical waiting rooms, the occasional hour or two in the evening or on the weekend afternoons after the cooking and cleaning are done. :rofl: looking at my house - which is in shambles all the time - you'd think I'm doing all knitting and no cleaning! :rofl:

dewdrops
08-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I like to knit for my 8 months old daughter, I knit when she is asleep. ;)

PaperGirl
08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I knit while watching baseball games on TV.

And I usually dont pull out the needles till after everyone is in bed...well, except DH...but I have insomnia...so I can stay up till 12-1 just knitting and watching TV.

I can catch up on my Tivoed shows then too. Knitty Gritty comes on HGTV here at 6 AM. I am NOT up that early, unless its school.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I"m to the point now where workingin stockingette or garter stitch i can knit without looking what i'm doing... i knit while watching tv, while waiting in the car for the kids afterschool, while dh is drivng, when my MIL is going on about something along the lines of skin rashes/veins on her feet/what's going on with her new favorite son/etc, I set aside time for ME every day (my kids are older andpretty self-sufficient) and just knit. ONly thing i'm finding is that while knitting, i lose track of time :)

knottyknitter
08-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I am a single mom of 2 teens. I work 40 hours a week so the housework is shared.
When they are off with friends I knit, when we watch tv dd and I knit together, and I knit on my lunch break. I tryed to teach my ds but he is not interested.

PalmettoGirl
08-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I wish I had more knitting time ... it's never enough. :teehee: One thing that I do is I always have my knitting with me. If work is slow I can knit at my desk (I'm an Administrative Assistant for a medium sized church.) If I find myself at a doctor's office or stuck somewhere waiting for someone, I pull it out and work on it. Once I get home I don't get much time to work on it until the evening. Sometimes I get to work on it while DH & I are watching tv, otherwise I work on it after he goes to bed. HTH.

Ronda
08-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I work full time, and my kids have extracurricular activities probably 5 nights a week (ballet, drums, church), so I have very little free time, especially during the school year. When I do get free time, I have to decide if I want to knit, read, or work out. I go in spurts. Sometimes I work out 5 nights a week, sometimes I read all week, sometimes I knit. I wish I had more free time to devote to each of my "favorite things to do," but, well, life intervenes. I do think, especially with little kids, that it's important to MAKE time for yourself to do the things you enjoy.

cinnamon_girl
08-05-2007, 04:24 PM
There are never enough hours in the day but I do the best I can to balance my interests. I work full time and commute almost an hour each way by train so that's usually my prime knitting time. If I'm not knitting, I'm reading. Also, occasionally I make time to knit a little at lunch.
I'm single and the kids are grown so most evenings I only have myself to consider when it comes to my free time. I find the computer more of a distraction than the tv. So many cool websites and blogs out there, but sometimes I get sucked in and realize I've spend most of the evening online when I could have been knitting. :doh:
And the gym... that's become a vague memory this summer so I've got to get back there asap!! And much as I love to take advantage of all the opportunities I can to knit, I can't quite see myself knitting on the treadmill.

Susan

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-05-2007, 04:30 PM
oh why not susan? i was knitting while following dh through toys r us... i was even caught on the news at the harry potter party knitting while waiting in line to first get my bracelent and then again inside just after midnight when i was waiting to check out. :)

Nakia
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I knit on the train everyday on my way to work. I also sneak in a few stitches when I take a break. I usually go to lunch with my girlfriend and when she has other plans I seat at my desk and knit for 1 hour. That one hour goes by so fast. It is a true saying that time flies by when your having fun.

I don't have any young children in my house my daughter and only child is now at that age where she does not need me as much. So to spend some time with her I knit while I watch some of her favorite tv shows with her.

Nichan
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, thank you for your all responds...

it's really-really makes me glad to hear all your experience, and moreover,it's encouraging me...shows me that there's always little tiny winy witty time to do our lovely hobby...

Yup, since i'm in love with this new hobby...i've been sitting too long in front of computer to search and shop needles and yarns...i'm new...so, i don't have much collection...sometimes, i bought superbulky yarn, but i still don't have the right needle...so, seems like when i browse, time passes very fast...

but i think i have ordered what i need now and all i do just wait them arrive in my mail box...i think i can knit while doing that:knitting: and do some housework (cleaning, cooking (i like cooking but hate washing the dish...:???:, laundry, etc):nails:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I always get the remaks about the number of kids we have (5 boys total... the oldest 3 are my stepsons) i always tell them that I learned how to crochet (and now knit) as a way to prevent myself from strangling them some days :)

honeybunmom
08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I am a wife, a mom and an attorney. I knit while commuting on the bus - which is why I much prefer to take the bus than to be driven by dh and dd who is 21 mos. Right now, I have a lot of time to myself in the evening as dh is working on our gut/rehab. When we move in at the end of the month and have time to see each other again after almost 3 years of this - who knows if I'll be knitting my evenings away again? I also just started going to my LYS for an open knitting circle on Friday evenings after work. I spend about 2 hours there and it's a great way to wind down from my week at work and have a little "me" time before 48 straight hours of mommy time!

Swedishgirl312
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I have very little time during the day to knit. I am a stay at home mother of two (a two month old and a two year old). Some how if one doesn't need me, the other does. I also dislike house work, so it is easy to neglect it after they go to bed! Right now is summer, but when school starts back up and my husband is back in Sat school, then I really have loads of time after the little guys are in bed. It is me time.

I do spend the majority of my day time thinking about my knitting. If I have a problem, I slove it before I pick up my knitting that evening. I also create patterns in my head.... strange? probably, but I am an addict so if I am not doing it, I am thinking about it.