PDA

View Full Version : YAY! A better reason to love walmart! (and ironically a reason not to)

Krystal
08-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, I do not drive, and while there is a Micheal's and a couple yarn shops in town, they are like a good hour to 3 hour bus trips away. (they just happen to be on the farthest outskirts and most bus-unfriendly areas) I only have close access to my wal mart, which still was a good 20-30 min bus ride, but I go every other Thursday when I do groceries.

So basically my yarn was limited. I had a TON of red heart, mostly the scratchy stuff and some nice Bernat... Not bad stuff. But it was soooo limited in colour selection too.

I walked in today to pick up some more yarn for my baby blanket, and was astounded. :woot:

They expanded. Most of the new Bernat yarns; Felting, Cashmere, Wool Blend, Alpaca Blend. They expanded the Red Heart Soft section adding TONS of new and gorgeous colours. They have a section dedicated to natural fibers, wools and cottons they didn't have before... it was amazing. I was so thrilled I almost forgot why I went. :woohoo:

But then, I remembered. As I went back down to the Red Heart Soft section, I looked and looked... no baby blue. :pout: I asked a sales lady. She told me since they ordered all these new colours, it could be a while since there isn't any room, and no there is none in the back. It could also not reappear if they get no demand. Fortunately I had only JUST started the blanket with the yarn left over from the baby sweater...but they didn't have ANY colour even close to what I wanted. :tap:

I ended up just picking up 4 skiens of Bernat Satin in a pretty blue/yellow/green ish colourway and will start all over again. :doh:

But at least now I have some better yarn selection for when I go to make all those beautiful lace garments I have been wanting to make. I was just waiting to find some easily accessible yarn! :happydance:

Rhea
08-02-2007, 11:52 PM
O_O
I am in the same boat as you, but without the wonderful walmart yarn expansion

/jealousy/

Cant wait to see your FOs!

Krystal
08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Ohh I hope they come in for you. I spent a good 20 min more than usual. FH came wandering in looking for me. Normally I meet him at the electronics section.

I can't wait to finish all this acrylic baby stuff for my cousins so I can start using the natural stuff.

mrssprat
08-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Krystal;
If you know exactly what it is you want from them ask them to get it from another store. They'll bawk at the idea (it can be a pain to do) but they are able to do it and should w/ no extra charge.
S

PaperGirl
08-03-2007, 10:53 AM
WalMart upgraded their yarn?

Last time I was in my local Wal Mart, it was being torn apart to get RID of the crafty stuff.

Guess I get to go check this weekend when we do haricuts and school shopping.

samm
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
That's weird. Our WM was selling off yarn, and I understood they were eliminatiing the crafts/fabric section. And like you, I went the other day and saw yarns I'd not seen before. The area isn't larger in my store, but there was a better selection. Maybe they've changed their minds? Hope so! samm

salos
08-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm glad you found some new yarn there. :yay: