PDA

View Full Version : New Videos on KnittingHelp

sheldon
08-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Just a heads up that we posted a couple of new videos this week on KnittingHelp. They can be found under the advanced techniques (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) page under the decorative stitches section. They are:

- Crossing cables without a cable needle (good for the August KAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=63160))
- Creating Basic Bobbles

These videos are in our new streaming Flash player and are "supersized" videos. They are a lot larger and clearer (and sound better) than our existing videos and can be rewound or advanced to any section of the video simply by clicking and dragging the playhead indicator in the timeline. We're hoping to update all of our videos with this newer format.

Enjoy!

- Sheldon

angel4ever
08-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely check them out :)

G J
08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
YAY! :cheering: I've noticed the sound doesn't work on a few of the older videos. Even so, they sure help a TON! Thanks for all you do!:thumbsup:

Edited to add: I just checked out the new videos. WOW! The sound and vid quality is AWESOME! I LOVE the way Amy explains WHY you do things the way you do too. Hats off to both of you!

In the words of Napolean Dynamite: SWEEEEET!

Braden
08-03-2007, 10:58 PM
There isn't supposed to be sound, Amy's just showing the techniques.

marykz
08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I certainly appreciate how much work Sheldon and Amy do to keep this site #1! thanks for the new videos and all.

kristinw
08-04-2007, 10:18 AM
:cheering::cheering: Yay! I've been wanting to do socks with cables - now I feel much better about the whole thing!

Lyndalm
08-04-2007, 10:41 AM
That's great! I've used these videos again and again to help me. Thanks again!

sheldon
08-05-2007, 11:45 AM
YAY! :cheering: I've noticed the sound doesn't work on a few of the older videos.

Our oldest and most elementary videos where shot without sound. Part of our plan with the new format is to re-shoot the soundless videos and add sound. People seem to miss it when it's not there.

Glad you like them!

MerigoldinWA
08-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Sheldon,

That's a good idea. The videos are great, but I think the oral instructions along with the visual makes them even better.

sheldon
08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I just updated the Demo of a Small Project video (both english and continental mothods) on the Getting Started (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/) page to the super-sized flash format. They are much clearer than the original versions and easier to follow.

Knitting_Guy
08-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Very nice. The new format is much better although I'm sure it's probably a bit more taxing on the bandwidth.

G J
08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
OOH, Mason--Love the new PIC! You look GREAT!:cheering:

sheldon
08-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Very nice. The new format is much better although I'm sure it's probably a bit more taxing on the bandwidth.

Actually, it isn't much different, +/- 5% I'd say. In fact, some of the videos come out significantly smaller in the new format. I haven't checked lately but normally we putting out about 80-100GB of video traffic per day and about double that during the peak season. Usually from the holidays on to March we have KH videos streaming from 3 different servers to help balance the video load. So we're pretty used to being taxed in the bandwidth department.

sheldon
08-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Sheldon,

That's a good idea. The videos are great, but I think the oral instructions along with the visual makes them even better.

I'll pass your comments along to the knitting video lady :)

silvia castillo
08-08-2007, 01:08 AM
I constantly go to the videos when I need help. Thank you so much, really appreciate it:yay:

sugarfunpouch
08-11-2007, 09:35 PM
YAY!!! Thanks! :cheering:

Tutu Carol
08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
ALL the video's are so amazingly helpful !!! THANK YOU so much !!!!!! I always come to knittinghelp for ALL my questions & confusions!!!

Lisa Kay
08-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Sheldon,

Thanks to you and Amy for all of your work on the videos! :cheering: That's how I found KH...by Googling "knitting videos" when I was first learning how to knit.

Are there plans to update the KnittingHelp.com CD-ROM after you've completed all of the changes/additions to the videos? I've been thinking about ordering one, but I'd be happy to wait for an updated version that includes everything.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I can't seem to get any audio for the video... i'm really interested in that form of casting on as i am Norman.... and viking :)

I checked with other programs to make sure my speakers and such were working fine (they are) but no luck on the video. Is it just me?

sheldon
08-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Sheldon,

Thanks to you and Amy for all of your work on the videos! :cheering: That's how I found KH...by Googling "knitting videos" when I was first learning how to knit.

Are there plans to update the KnittingHelp.com CD-ROM after you've completed all of the changes/additions to the videos? I've been thinking about ordering one, but I'd be happy to wait for an updated version that includes everything.

We are planning a revision of the CD. However we still have over a hundred videos to update! (many of which are being re-shot by Amy and then edited by myself) Additionally, we are also working on a new site design which will carry over to the CD revision. So there's a lot work to be done before we'll have the new revision done. I can't say for sure, but I would place it around October (give or take) in time for the peak knitting season.

sheldon
08-14-2007, 12:32 AM
I can't seem to get any audio for the video... i'm really interested in that form of casting on as i am Norman.... and viking :)

I checked with other programs to make sure my speakers and such were working fine (they are) but no luck on the video. Is it just me?

Many of our original videos (particularly the basic technique videos) were shot without sound. The Norwegian cast-on video is one of the soundless videos.

Susan P.
08-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi..I just watched the bobble one.. I must admit..I'd love to see a video version with the right hand holding the yarn as I have to really concentrate to orient (but that's me :)) however, I had problems with the audio and it was coming with short breaks in it..sort of like breaking up on a mobile. I am using an IMac with Firefox but not sure if that affects the usage.

But that's the first vid I've seen of bobble making and it was great to see. So..thanks :)

sheldon
08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi..I just watched the bobble one.. I must admit..I'd love to see a video version with the right hand holding the yarn as I have to really concentrate to orient (but that's me :)) however, I had problems with the audio and it was coming with short breaks in it..sort of like breaking up on a mobile. I am using an IMac with Firefox but not sure if that affects the usage.

But that's the first vid I've seen of bobble making and it was great to see. So..thanks :)

That video is one of the newest ones and is in our new Flash player so it should play flawlessly. You may want to check to see what version of Flash you have installed and update it for good measure. I believe the new videos work best with Flash 8 or greater.

G J
08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Re-doinng over 100 videos!?!?! :thud:WOW! :thud: I SOOOO Appreciate what you're doing! Thanks a MILLION!

Lisa Kay
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
We are planning a revision of the CD. However we still have over a hundred videos to update! (many of which are being re-shot by Amy and then edited by myself) Additionally, we are also working on a new site design which will carry over to the CD revision. So there's a lot work to be done before we'll have the new revision done. I can't say for sure, but I would place it around October (give or take) in time for the peak knitting season.

:shock: Wow, that's a lot of work! But thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all that you and Amy are doing with the videos. :muah:

The new CD sounds wonderful! I'm sure I will be one of the first to order the revised version whenever it becomes available. Hmmm...if it is available in October or November, I may have to order a couple extras as Christmas presents...

carebears416
08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
i was wondering if there was a way to download the new videos with flash player to my computer, i cant be connected to the internet all the time and would like to view the videos when i have no internet access. I was able to download them with the older viewer but cant seem to with this one. thanks

sheldon
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry, at the current time the new video format is not downloadable like the previous formats. It is a true streaming format (rather than a file) which makes downloading and offline playback rather tricky.

katycatfight
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Man--I needed that bobble one 2 weeks ago, ha ha ha. I managed to figure it out, but I will for sure check this one out. How about a video on how to do the thumb gusset in a glove??

cookworm
09-13-2007, 01:00 AM
WOW!!! These are GREAT!!! I got a little bit sad when I saw the video for "loop stitch", because SnB's "Loopy Velez cowl" was one of the first projects I knitted, and I had to abandon those really cool loops because I just couldn't figure out the written instructions. But I could do it now, thanks to Amy and Sheldon!! :woohoo:

Thank you both SO MUCH for all of your hard work to make this entire site so AWESOME--I wouldn't be doing anything knit-wise without you guys, and not having any LYS nearby makes it REALLY hard to get any help. For me, your site is a lifeline!

moms90
09-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the new update on the site. I just love them. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

CindyS
09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm having similar problems with the new format on my Mac, but I'm attributing it to the fact that our G3 is ancient. Maybe I'll try updating Flash to see if that helps at all. Our new computer is coming when they finally put out the new OS in October, yippee!

Nanaof6
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Thank you so much! I love this forum:woot:I wonder, would you ever think of making videos for fixing mistakes. I'm a new knitter and I frog everytime because I don't know how to correct a mistake like a dropped stitch knit or purl ,just to name one.

Nana,

sheldon
09-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I asked Amy if we had any "Fixing Mistakes" videos and indeed we do. They are on the Basic Techniques/ Misc page about halfway down on the page:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

I hope these help.

- Sheldon

tguzman
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Just wanted to say .. your video's HELP so much .. :)

The.Knitter
10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm so glad I found this site. You and Amy have made my life sooo much easier. I used to have to go find a nursing home and find a lady willing to help with my knitting. Yes, it gave her something to do and made her day, but there are days when it is better I stay indoors because of my "disability". This site is my salvation and I thank you both once again!!! Great job!

giedre11
10-14-2007, 04:20 PM
I too just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for the hard work you do with the videos. Although I've been knitting at least 25 years, I have taught myself how to knit continental from your videos. I always knit combo, but wanted so badly to do a sweater in the round. I slowly acclimated myself to the new way of knitting by thinking of it as "new stitches". Interesting thing was I noticed that my gauge improved considerably with continental. So now it's stuck! I had to relearn a different way to decrease and to do some other stuff and you had it right there for me! :muah:

floppy2
10-17-2007, 10:34 AM
These additions are great. Could we have some other that I can't seem to find on the net?

Double yo, at the start of a row and yo, at the start of a row of knit or purl?

I am doing lace patterns that call for this and I can't find out how to do them properly.

Also double yo, knit 1, purl 1. When the next row begins, how do you treat he double yo's?

There are so few online videos for advanced knitters who want to get past socks, scarves, sweaters and move on to really hard lace techniques and increase their stitch knowledge. I can't even find any classes at JoAnn's or A.C. Moore that do more than the bare basics.

bjr

amy
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Floppy2, those are good q's. Simply put, you need to alternate knitting and purling into consecutive yo's on the following round. On the end/beginning of a row, I would just do a backward loop co as a yo.

I hope that answers your Q's in time for your project. You'll get faster answers to q's if you post them in the how-to area.

momwolf
10-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for fixing the videoshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_67.gif I can finally use them without waiting for them to load.Love the new site ,but we need the color GREENhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_6.gif
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_7.gif

aprildavis99
11-14-2007, 01:51 AM
How about a video on how to do the thumb gusset in a glove??

I soooo agree. I have been looking everywhere for a general basic way to do this. The only thing I can find is an article in Interweave Knits winter 2003, but of course that issue is unavailable anywhere. I would love a video. :eyes:

Miss Moosey
11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
What I appreciate the most about this site are actually the short videos in the glossary. And I think that they are fine without audio; sometimes I just want to see the stitch done. It is impossible for me to figure out these stitches from a written description. And without these building blocks I would still be knitting nothing but garter stitch scarves!

Love the new site ,but we need the color GREEN

My thoughts exactly!! I think that a nice shade of teal would work very well for this site.

Rebecca