PDA

View Full Version : A great find at Joanns - Update: Free pattern, pg3

Silver
08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
8 skeins of Paton's SWS (Soy Wool Stripes) in the clearance bin. $2.97 each . My favorite color combo, pink & green. And they are all of the SAME DYE LOT! :zombie: And bought with my teacher's discount. Woot! :woohoo:

Yes, it's TRUE! You can find good stuff at Joanns!

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC00742.JPG

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-04-2007, 04:01 PM
i ended up finding 5 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille thick and quick in a bin for 97 cents each, also same dye lot... i checked the lionbrand site and they're not discontinuing it so who knows why i was there :)

that was also at joann's :)

zip
08-04-2007, 04:11 PM
:shock: Heading to Joann's right now. Thanks!

edit: or on Monday during my lunch hour.

Riss
08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
i've been buying my bamboo needles at AC Moore... but they didn't have any of the sizes I needed...

So the BF and I took an extra 15 minutes and headed up to JoAnns... And the bamboo needles were at least a dollar cheaper... I got a pack of 5 size 6 dpns for $5... that would have cost me at least 8 at ACMoore.. Guess where I'm buying my needles from now on? :)

Snugglebugmom
08-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I am soooo jealous, I love that yarn! What a great deal!

Ladybug Lady
08-04-2007, 05:07 PM
What a YUMMY color!!!!

samm
08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Way to shop! :cheering: I like that colour a lot. Maybe I can make a trip to the U.S.A. to shop at JoAnn's this week....... Hope so! And that there's some left in the bin for me! samm

redheadrachel
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow, beautiful! Don't you love random good deal finds?! :woot:

IBAmyB
08-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow! I love that yarn!

My college's colors are pink & green! (It is a women's college, our mascot is the Vixen! :teehee: www.sbc.edu (http://www.sbc.edu) )

I actually ordered some pink & green yarn from Knit Pick to make a scarf.... but now I may have to seach for this yarn!

Great Find!

Susan P.
08-04-2007, 07:25 PM
GREAT bargain. I think we need an aussie distributor for many of your products! :) What does the soy yarn feel like as I've never touched it?

HollyP
08-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Great find!!!!!So not fair! I was at Joann's today and all that was in the clearance bin was nasty eyelash yarn.

Silver
08-04-2007, 09:03 PM
What does the soy yarn feel like as I've never touched it?
This is 70% wool and 30% soy. It reminds me a a lot of Noro Kureyon, except it's softer to the touch and the soy gives it a lot of sheen, like silk. This is the first time I've worked with this and I think I have to say it's a new favorite!!

Great find!!!!!So not fair! I was at Joann's today and all that was in the clearance bin was nasty eyelash yarn.
Oh, mine had LOTS of eyelash and novelty yarns too, I had to dig for this stuff. But I saw the one skein, I kept digging, and getting happier and happier! I think I need to go back and search some more!

My Joann's yarn selection has been getting better and better. They have cashmere, alpaca, and I think I even saw a camel blend. :shock:

panchita
08-04-2007, 09:10 PM
My Joann's yarn selection has been getting better and better. They have cashmere, alpaca, and I think I even saw a camel blend. :shock:

My Jo-Ann does NOT carry SWS. Too bad for me. :pout: I've been very unimpressed with their selection lately. I should try a different Jo-Ann... there's one in the next town, maybe I'll check there. Congratulations on the beautiful find!

feministmama
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
8 skeins of Paton's SWS (Soy Wool Stripes) in the clearance bin. $2.97 each . My favorite color combo, pink & green. And they are all of the SAME DYE LOT! :zombie: And bought with my teacher's discount. Woot! :woohoo:

Clearance bin? I hope Patons is not discontinuing this yarn. I :heart: this yarn! Aw geez I gotta get over to Joannes!!!

knitting4-2girls
08-04-2007, 09:47 PM
wow!! Iwas at my Joann's store the other day and they were just putting that yarn out saying it was new!!! I thought it was really nice. I'm gonna have to go back and check; the stocking girl did tell me it was her second day to work there.

SabrinaJL
08-05-2007, 12:08 AM
So lucky!!! I LOVE SWS yarn.

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 04:13 AM

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC00742.JPG

Hi'ya Silver! :waving: Beautiful yarn! Looks like it has a really nice sheen! I love the color combo, too! :heart:

Quiltlady
08-05-2007, 05:01 AM
wow...I love the colors in your new yarn. I haven't been to my Joanns in over a month. I think I'm due to go soon. I never noticed that yarn there. Maybe its new and they are just getting it in some of the stores. I'll be sure and check it out.

What do you plan to knit with your pretty "find"?:woot:

suzeeq
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I hope Patons is not discontinuing this yarn.

It's probably just Joann's summer clearance sale. I went to Michael's when I was out of town last week and not only did they have SWS, there's new colors! Several solids, and a couplethree new multicolored ones. They're not on Paton's website yet, but I found them at http://www.discountyarnsale.com/pd_patons_sws.cfm Click on the color chart.

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:14 PM
What do you plan to knit with your pretty "find"?
I couldn't wait, so I cast on last night. I'm making an Irish Hiking Scarf, (http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingscarf.htm) but I'm not following Adrian's pattern. I used it as the inspiration, but modified it to make it completely reversible. I'm knitting reversible cables, which look exactly the same on both sides. :heart:

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/wip/image/425/DSC00743.JPG

I'm also going to make a hat, maybe Fetching (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTfetching.html) too, and Calorimetry (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html) out of this. A whole winter set cause I JUST ADORE these colors!!! :happydance:

Mariblue
08-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Luuckyyyyy! I :heart: that yarn, and especially that colorway! What a great find! :cheering:

lucky_alf2
08-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Looks Wonderful!! I've been wanting to try reversible cables -- where did you learn how to do them??

Quiltlady
08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I just got back from my Joann's. They did not have the yarn you got at all. I did see another brand of a silk blend but I didn't get it. Other than that I saw nothing I really wanted except a knitting book but I don't have a coupon. So I'll pick that book up another time or from somewhere else cheaper.:oo:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-05-2007, 12:53 PM
very pretty! even my 9 year old football player of a son said it was beautiful :)

sue in canada
08-05-2007, 03:33 PM
What a find. I recently made a felted bag with in the same colours. Love the scarf.

Quiltlady
08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Your scarf is coming out so beautiful. I LOVE the yarn.

Remember the book I mentioned earlier that I saw today at Joanns but I had no coupon? Well I found the same book on Knit Picks site for 40% off so I just ordered it..yea!!!!!

Its this book

http://www.knitpicks.com/Victorian+Lace+Today_BD30826.html
:woohoo: Their books sale is still going on.

Silver
08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Looks Wonderful!! I've been wanting to try reversible cables -- where did you learn how to do them??
I learned the technique while making the Great American Aran Afghan. Soooo many cool cables in that afghan!

I've already gotten a few people asking how I did it, so I'm going to write out the pattern and make it available online soon. I checked with Adrian at Hello Yarn since it looks a lot like her scarf pattern, and she said it was fine with her. :)

redheadrachel
08-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, beautiful cables in that afghan! I think it's cool how Silver doesn't just keep her awesome knowledge to herself - she's always making it available to everyone with super helpful online tutorials. :woot:

HIP HIP . . .

Silver
08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Just an update to let you know that the free pattern is ready and online!
Palindrome: A Reversible Cable Scarf (http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm)

larudden
08-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I love that yarn and those colors! I was only able to pick up 2 skeins at my JoAnn's. However, I'll be heading to another this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky there.

Great find!

larudden
08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
How many skeins will you need for the scarf? I just love that and know it would make a gorgeous Christmas gift!

Riss
08-10-2007, 11:02 AM
*gasp* thats so pretty! Its definitly next on my list of scarves :)

Silver
08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
How many skeins will you need for the scarf? I just love that and know it would make a gorgeous Christmas gift!
I used 3.5 skeins total by yardage. But in order to keep they striping even and in sequence, I used portions of 5 skeins.

Wahlee
08-10-2007, 11:17 AM
That's beautiful! I've added it to my Ravelry queue. :)

astonh
08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I ADORE the yarn you bought. I love the pink and green blend together and can imagine all sorts of yummy things that one could knit with that beautiful yarn. WTG on the fantastic bargain!

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

same thing when i was at michaels the other day. :nails:

blueeyes28
08-10-2007, 12:59 PM
HAHA I meant to thank Silver for the pattern.

knitncook
08-10-2007, 03:42 PM
My Jo-Ann does NOT carry SWS. Too bad for me. :pout: I've been very unimpressed with their selection lately. I should try a different Jo-Ann... there's one in the next town, maybe I'll check there. Congratulations on the beautiful find!

Write to coporate and tell them that you want more yarns. Our JoAnn yarn department was horrible, mostly acrylic and some novelty stuff. I asked the yarn manager one day about it and she said to write to corporate and tell them that I wanted more wool, wool blends and "clothing worthy" yarns (her words). I guess enough people wrote to ask for better yarns that they finally expanded the yarn section (gave us two more full rows plus some center basket/stands) and the yarns have improved. There is still a lot of ugly acrylic (not nice acrylic, I'm only talking about the ugly acrylic) and novelty type stuff that goes on clearance all the time.

SusanMarie1956
08-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Lil Huskies,

I got NAvy Blue Chenille at JoAnn;s for the same pricr of 97 cents.

Susan

Indygirl
08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Just an update to let you know that the free pattern is ready and online!
Palindrome: A Reversible Cable Scarf (http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm) Really pretty, I printed the pattern out. I will make some of those for Christmas gifts, THANKS!

mks22300
08-10-2007, 06:37 PM
It's beautiful Silver! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

Sanibelle
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks Silver - I love the way your scarf turned out. Thanks for posting the pattern.

You also had a picture of a great felted purse on your website. What pattern did you use???? I really loved it!

Thanks

Silver
08-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Which one Sanibelle? The one with the silver rings? If so, it's a modified version of this pattern (http://seejayneknit.blogspot.com/2007/01/free-pattern-jaynes-ap-bag.html). If it's the other felted bag, that is from "Fiber Trends, Maggie's Felted Tote"

Silver
08-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh! I almost forgot... don't hate me, but... tonight after class, I checked the clearance bin again... and found...

THREE more skeins of this color! And when I got home, I checked, and yes, they're the same dye lot as the first 8!
:passedout:

SusanMarie1956
08-10-2007, 10:03 PM
That SWS is BEAUTIFUL! Tyhe colors are perfect! But our JoAnn's doesn't carry that.

Whay I usually do is check on JoAnn.com and get the serial numbers off the yarn I want and they order it for me. :-)

Susan

kristinw
08-10-2007, 10:13 PM
I love that scarf! And the color of that yarn is amazing! I tried for a long time to find a reversible cable scarf pattern. I am definitely going to make this. I'm thinking it will be fabulous and squishy in mmmalabrigo.

jeanius80
08-10-2007, 11:33 PM
score for you! what a beautiful scarf, thanks for sharing the pattern, i printed it off tonight! :yay:
i love how your scarf matches your website too :mrgreen:

larudden
08-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Lil Huskies,

I got NAvy Blue Chenille at JoAnn;s for the same pricr of 97 cents.

Susan
Me too! Lime green w/silver sparkles and purple w/silver sparkles. I'm thinking Blanket Buddies!

Silver
08-11-2007, 10:47 PM
i love how your scarf matches your website too :mrgreen:
That just goes to show that I really do love this color combo! I've had this website design for (I think) a couple years now. lol The colors of my site come from some yarn that I dyed and spun myself.

jeanius80
08-11-2007, 10:55 PM
i love that color combo too. someday i will make some felted clogs! with the soy, i think they would be so soft :heart: