PDA

View Full Version : football?

zip
08-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyone interested in either a fantasy football league or just a simple pick'em? I'd be happy to set up a free one for us.

We'll need about twelve participants.

I love football. :inlove:

stitchwitch
08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Color me stupid but how does the fantasy football thing work? I've heard so much about it every season but never asked how it works. :shrug:
I'd probably be up for it unless it involves great thinking. :teehee:

zip
08-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Color me stupid but how does the fantasy football thing work? I've heard so much about it every season but never asked how it works. :shrug:
I'd probably be up for it unless it involves great thinking. :teehee:

If you've never played, there's nothing at all stupid about not knowing how it's done.

Each participant drafts the players for her team, or you can autodraft - which lets yahoo choose your players for you. Players can only be on one team; for example, Peyton Manning can only play for one of us. Each week, you decide which of your players you wish to play and which to bench. You earn points for things like touchdowns, passing yards, rushing yards, strong defense. Your team will play opposite another participant's team.

Is that enough of an explanation? It's easy and fun and many of us will be watching the games anyway and knitting while we watch. If you get really hooked on it, you'll find yourself dropping your knitting when you leap up to cheer on one of your players. :rofl:

Winner gets bragging rights, nothing more.... Except maybe heading up the league next year? We can all decide later.

EDIT: This year, Yahoo allows co-managers. So two of us can head up a team. That could be really cool. Only half the shame, but only half the glory, too.

I keed. There's no shame. Last year, I came in LAST place in one of my leagues, despite having LaDainian Tomlinson on my team. Do you know how difficult that is to do? :roflhard:

stitchwitch
08-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Good explanation. Who keeps track of the stats or is that done via yahoo?
I specked out Yahoo's FF site, looks like something I could get hooked on real easy. :roflhard: I'm voting myself in.

zip
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Good explanation. Who keeps track of the stats or is that done via yahoo?
I specked out Yahoo's FF site, looks like something I could get hooked on real easy. :roflhard: I'm voting myself in.

:woohoo:We got one! I feel like Annie Potts on Ghostbusters.

Yahoo tracks everything for us. We just play, then read the weekly results each Tuesday. If we get enough for a league, I'll post more detailed instructions right here.

misha rf
08-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I love fantasy football!!!

zip
08-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I love fantasy football!!!

Yowza! :cheering: Have you played in a league that includes individual defensive players? It adds another dimension to it that I love.

I see that my sister's been in here. Someone chose "are you insane?" in the poll.

IBAmyB
08-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I am such a horrible football person....

All I know is that DH loves his beloved Dallas Cowboys and I have to make sure we keep the DirecTV "Sunday Ticket Super Fan" package for him (though I don't watch it) for when he gets back from Iraq in November....

I will sit and knit or cross-stitch while he watches games, but other than that I really don't pay attention to it.

(I do know that when we (finally) have kids he will be having them watch games with him, both the boys & the girls!)

zip
08-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I am such a horrible football person....

All I know is that DH loves his beloved Dallas Cowboys and I have to make sure we keep the DirecTV "Sunday Ticket Super Fan" package for him (though I don't watch it) for when he gets back from Iraq in November....

I will sit and knit or cross-stitch while he watches games, but other than that I really don't pay attention to it.

(I do know that when we (finally) have kids he will be having them watch games with him, both the boys & the girls!)

Maybe your sons will prefer to learn knitting. Who knows? Here's hoping November comes quickly for you!

Doublereeder2
08-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Nope. I hate football.

I think America (and others) have lost their minds enabling these guys to make the millions they do for running down a field, smashing into each other and carrying a pigskin sack when brains, innovation and creativity seem to mean little. Please!

But if you like it -- go for it! Just please don't make me watch it.

misha rf
08-04-2007, 09:58 PM
[quote=zip;925411]Yowza! :cheering: Have you played in a league that includes individual defensive players? It adds another dimension to it that I love.
quote]

I haven't, but that sounds great to me!!

zip
08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
I haven't, but that sounds great to me!!

http://piercn-amethyst.com/emot/w00t.gif I talked to my SO. He said that eight teams will be enough, and he's a serious sports geek. So, we just need five more!

beckyrhae
08-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Oh what the hell... I havent played a FF in a couple of years. :) Last time I played was with a group of guys and I was the only girl. I won. HA! They were so pissed I didnt play the next year. hehe.

So put me down! I've only played with full defense, but I'm willing to play whichever. :)

Jess_knit
08-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Oh, I love football! I played with my mom for the first time (mine, not hers) last year, but we didn't get going until the end.

We didn't play with individual defensive players, though, but I'm willing to try.

Ronda
08-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I :heart: the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I have no clue how to play fantasy football. :oops:

stitchwitch
08-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I :heart: the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I have no clue how to play fantasy football. :oops:

Me neither!! I think it will be fun though. What's the worst that can happen? :roflhard: At best nobody will hire me as a coach or draft picker, at worst I lose and become the laughing stock of the KH forum. Either way, I'm good and maybe some people will get a laugh or two out of it. :roflhard:

Jess_knit
08-05-2007, 11:12 AM

I live in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers are my team too :cheering:

zip
08-05-2007, 11:27 AM
:cheering: We almost have 8! I'm so happy to see y'all willing to do this!

Ronda, I didn't know how to play either until the first time a couple of years ago. If we get enough to form a league (just need 2 more, if I count you as in), then I'll post more detailed instructions here. It's like knitting in that after a couple of weeks, it makes sense.

We conquered knitting, and we can kick fantasy football's tushie, too! :woohoo:

Ronda
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok. I'll give it a try! Count me in.

misha rf
08-05-2007, 12:38 PM
The first time I played FF, my league gave me the "Lucky S$%*" award for scoring over .500 with a crappy team. They laughed at me, b/c my first pick was Emmitt Smith.

zip
08-05-2007, 01:59 PM
The first time I played FF, my league gave me the "Lucky S$%*" award for scoring over .500 with a crappy team. They laughed at me, b/c my first pick was Emmitt Smith.

:snicker: I did the same thing - picked Jerry Rice. Not first, but I picked him. The news that I read merely hinted at retirement.

misha rf
08-05-2007, 03:41 PM
:snicker: I did the same thing - picked Jerry Rice. Not first, but I picked him. The news that I read merely hinted at retirement.

I'm so glad I'm not alone!!! :roflhard:

Jeremy
08-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm in if there's still room.:shrug:

zip
08-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm in if there's still room.:shrug:

ehhhhhggzellent... :)

I count seven of us for fantasy, disregarding the poll. Six have replied "I'm in." Gonna go run through the responses again to be sure. I'll set it up for seven, with the belief that surely at least one more will sign up.

zip
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
There's a preseason game on right now! I didn't realize it until I just now accessed the NFL schedule. It started a few minutes ago. Steelers vs Saints.

zip
08-06-2007, 12:46 AM
I just sent invitations to our fantasy league via PM to the six of you who signed up. :woohoo:

In a couple of days, I'll post the invitation details here in the forum for anyone else who wants to join. If someone out there cannot wait that long because she wants to play SO BADLY, then say so here in the thread or send a PM to me.

leedsfan
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Thats a good idea,hubby does one,but its english football.I love footy.I dont know much about america footy but you can count me in,i do hubbys and enjoy it.

Jess_knit
08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for organizing this! I signed up as the "Fighting Alpacas" :teehee:

misha rf
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Hee!! I'm so excited!! And I love that you can "exclude" players. I've put several in that category. :rofl:

stitchwitch
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
My husband thinks I'm nuts for doing this. :roflhard: I told him that's why I named my team "The Knitwits".

zip
08-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Thats a good idea,hubby does one,but its english football.I love footy.I dont know much about america footy but you can count me in,i do hubbys and enjoy it.

:cheering: It'll be fun to have a fan of that other football join us. I PMd the info to you.

So far, there are six of us signed up. We're only waiting for Jeremy and leedsfan, before I open the doors publicly here in the thread. We're required to have an even number of teams in order to have a league. If our number is odd when it's go time, I'll invite my SO to join us. He's a hoot.

Jeremy
08-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm in! I signed up and Pm'd you. Thanks for setting this up.

PaperGirl
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey, if not too late, could I maybe play? I played 2 years ago, and came in second in our league.

But I havent paid ANY attention to anything regarding football this year, so I highly doubt I will do that well this time. :roflhard:

zip
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm in! I signed up and Pm'd you. Thanks for setting this up.

Thanks for joining! As the only male in the league (so far,) I predict that you're going down. /apollo creed

PaperGirl, I'll PM the info to you. Then I'm outta here until tonight. So, if someone else posts, have mercy upon me until then.

PaperGirl
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks zip!

Ronda
08-07-2007, 05:11 AM
I live in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers are my team too :cheering:

:cheering::woot::cheering::woot::cheering::woot: Go Pittsburgh!

:heart: Troy Polamalu :heart:

zip
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Everyone except leedsfan has signed up.
Total signed up = 8
plus leedsfan = 9
league will hold = 12

If you want to reserve a spot, speak up today. I'll be at a client's office all morning, then driving to the airport, which means it's unlikely that I'll have internet access until 4 pm PDT at the earliest. If no one speaks up by then, I'll publicly post the how-to sign up details.

leedsfan, when that happens, I won't have the capability to hold your spot because I'm not yet supreme ruler of the universe. ;)

JGM
08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I'll do it if you need more people. I've done fantasy football for 5 or 6 years now. It's always more fun with people you know, so you can talk smack! :) Are you going with individual defensive players? I've never done that before...

zip
08-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I'll do it if you need more people. I've done fantasy football for 5 or 6 years now. It's always more fun with people you know, so you can talk smack! :) Are you going with individual defensive players? I've never done that before...

:woohoo:company for Jeremy in the basement!

jus' teasin' ya.

Yes to the IDPs. You'll love it! All the info's there in your PM.

JGM
08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Bring it on! I'm the English Throwers.

zip
08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Three spots left!

To sign up, go here (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/register/joinleague).
Type in the League ID# and Password as shown in the details below.

I've set us up for an autodraft (meaning that yahoo will select our players for us) instead of a live draft. You can pre-rank your desired players before the draft, and I'll share more information about that well before the draft.

League ID#: 346157
League Name: The Knitters
Password: knittinghelp
Draft Type: Autopick Draft
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: November 23, 2007
Trade Review: League Votes
Waiver Time: 2 days
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Playoffs: Week 14, 15 and 16 (6 teams)
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories:
Completions (1)
Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Tackle Solo (1)
Tackle Assist (0.5)
Sack (2)
Interception (3)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (3)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (2)

Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I tossed this together earlier....I was thinking of making one with my team name on it...:roflhard:

JGM
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Sweet! I added it to my signature!

me = dork

Jess_knit
08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Ooh, thanks!

Though I seem to have a bye the first week, we need more teams!

zip
08-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Ooh, thanks!

Though I seem to have a bye the first week, we need more teams!

We'll get an opponent for you, even if I have to resort to signing up my dog, The Mo. He's crazy for football.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/dogs/IMG_0287-sm.jpg

zip
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I tossed this together earlier....I was thinking of making one with my team name on it...:roflhard:

You rock. I'm stealing it, too!

JGM
08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

zip
08-08-2007, 04:29 PM

He IS! :rofl: If we aren't in the den when a game's on, he'll come get us and do a "follow me" Lassie thing.

stitchwitch
08-08-2007, 04:56 PM

I pilfered it! :roflhard:

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
:roflhard: Looks good on everyone!

Jess_knit
08-08-2007, 07:02 PM
We'll get an opponent for you, even if I have to resort to signing up my dog, The Mo. He's crazy for football.

:roflhard:

I think even I could win then :roflhard:

knotmaker
08-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I have not been on the forum in so long and I was looking around and found this thread. :woot: I was so excited! I love football.

Jess_knit
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Oh, welcome to the league! We're matched up for the first week ;)

zip
08-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I have not been on the forum in so long and I was looking around and found this thread. :woot: I was so excited! I love football.

http://piercn-amethyst.com/emot/w00t.gif

Two spots left!

zip
08-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I can set up a KH yahoo pick'em, too. Unless someone else would like to head it up? I'll wait a few days just in case someone does. Playing both seems to help me learn the players better and make smarter choices in both games. Who to pick? Who to bench? etc.

PaperGirl
08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Pick em is what I played the last time.

If you want to, Ill play this one too. I just dont expect to spend as much time thinking and pondering..cause when I did, I lost 2 to injury, and 4 just plain out stunk! :roflhard: I had traded half my team after 2 games. :roflhard:

But yeah, Ill play a pick 'em league too. Maybe DH will play with me too. :woohoo:

Jess_knit
08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I've never played pick 'em (or heard of it), so I googled...is that where you pick which team you think is going to win for all the games that week?

I could probably go for that, also :think:

zip
08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
There's practically no limit on number of participants in a pick'em. So, bringing in SOs and other non-board members would be fun. It'll make 'em want to join us cool knitters... which means less yarn for us. We'll have to begin locking up our stash, counting our needles, guarding our patterns... ok, it's stil early over here. clearly I need more coffee.

To recap, there are still two spots left in our fantasy league. I'm planning to close it Sunday night and tell yahoo that we're ready to draft. I'll post the promised info about drafting tonight.

Also, if someone besides me wants to head up a pick'em league, say the word. I don't want to hog all the fun, but I will do so if no one steps up. :mrgreen:

stitchwitch
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Is there any way to hook up the link to the FF page in "my yahoo"? I've looked all over to find a way and can't seem to do it. It would be cool to see it on my yahoo homepage. :hmm:

PaperGirl
08-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I think it only links up when the season starts. Mine was linked last time I played.

zip
08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Is there any way to hook up the link to the FF page in "my yahoo"? I've looked all over to find a way and can't seem to do it. It would be cool to see it on my yahoo homepage. :hmm:

My Yahoo teams are in the bottom left-hand corner of the My Yahoo page. I think they defaulted there last year. Just now, I clicked on the "add content" button to see what was available. It isn't a very friendly option. :???:

zip
08-09-2007, 11:12 PM
On Sunday night, I'll turn on our autodraft. I don't know whether that will (1) cause our draft to begin instantaneously, or (2) give me a choice of dates/times, or (3) schedule our draft and tell us when that will take place. There's no way for me to test it, so I recommend that you have your pre-rankings ready by then if you wish to pre-rank.

I probably won't pre-rank any players and will just wait and see who Yahoo gives me. After that, I can drop whomever I don't want and replace him with someone among the remaining available players that I do want.

However... ahem... HOWEVER, you may wish to exclude certain players who you don't wish to draft. The obvious example is Michael Vick. Will he even play this year? The team is still banning him from training camp. Personally, I don't want him or his brother (who's no longer in the league, I think) on my team. Nor do I want Brett Favre, for no reason but my belief that he was ready for retirement two years ago. But I digress.

If you wish to pre-rank or exclude and haven't yet figured out how to do so, go to the league page or to your team page and click on Draft Central. Select "Edit My Rankings" and proceed from there. I recommend that you do this before Sunday at 7 p.m. PDT, which is the earliest that I'll tell Yahoo that we're ready to draft.

I'll update you after Yahoo tells me what's what. Post your questions here or PM them to me if you prefer.

:woohoo:

JGM
08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I believe it will be option #3...

stitchwitch
08-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Scratch Mike Alstott off of your draft list also. He got put on IR yesterday and will be out the entire year until he retires.
Thanks for the heads up on Vick, I completely have been ignoring that fiasco so he never came to mind.

Jess_knit
08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
He's pretty far down the list, so I forgot about him also. Thanks for the heads up on he and Alstott!

I ranked about 35 players, and excluded some also...but mostly I'm going by what Yahoo says, especially for defensive guys, since I've never played with them.

zip
08-11-2007, 12:08 PM
ok, a couple of items worthy of consideration re pre-ranking.

If you want to fill your running back positions first (which is common practice,) and you have five RBs pre-ranked, all of which are gone when your next turn comes up, you'll get your next highest available pre-ranked player - whatever field position that may be. Because we're autodrafting, there's no way to predict or control what happens during the draft. Therefore, I'm not pre-ranking anyone; rather, I'm strictly excluding.

Yahoo's ranking system is... not exactly suspect... but it is a little wonky. After the draft is over, it'd be a good idea to log in and see what players you were assigned. Because there are only ten of us (so far,) replacing someone you don't want with someone you believe will earn more points will be relatively easy. Even with twelve teams, that process can be an exercise in frustration. With sixteen teams, it's nearly impossible. Of course, we're knitters and, therefore, accomplish the impossible on a regular basis. Nevertheless, I like that we're only ten so far.

In other news, does anyone know (or care) who inspired our league name (http://www.theknitters.net/)? That's what my SO calls us here at KH. He thinks he's so funny. ;)

stitchwitch
08-11-2007, 04:31 PM
In other news, does anyone know (or care) who inspired our league name (http://www.theknitters.net/)? That's what my SO calls us here at KH. He thinks he's so funny. ;)

:chair:

zip
08-12-2007, 12:25 AM
We have eleven! :woohoo:I don't know who the eleventh is - hopefully, she'll say hello in here.

ONE SPOT LEFT!
I hope someone signs up, so The Mo doesn't have to join and humiliate me with his football prowess.

NancyL
08-12-2007, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE=zip;932017]We have eleven! :woohoo:I don't know who the eleventh is - hopefully, she'll say hello in here.

I'm a lurker :oops: I couldn't resist the urge to join a fantasy football league of knitters! It should be a lot of fun and I hope I can knit and follow the games at the same time-I have a baby blanket "due" in January.:blooby:

Good luck everyone!
Nancy

zip
08-12-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm a lurker :oops: I couldn't resist the urge to join a fantasy football league of knitters! It should be a lot of fun and I hope I can knit and follow the games at the same time-I have a baby blanket "due" in January.:blooby:

Good luck everyone!
Nancy

Welcome, Nancy! Glad we could draw you out of the woodwork. :)

zip
08-12-2007, 12:54 PM
ONE spot left!

To sign up, go here (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/register/joinleague).
Type in the League ID# and Password as shown in the details below.

I've set us up for an autodraft (meaning that yahoo will select our players for us) instead of a live draft.

League ID#: 346157
League Name: The Knitters
Draft Type: Autopick Draft
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: November 23, 2007
Trade Review: League Votes
Waiver Time: 2 days
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Playoffs: Week 14, 15 and 16 (6 teams)
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories:
Completions (1)
Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Tackle Solo (1)
Tackle Assist (0.5)
Sack (2)
Interception (3)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (3)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (2)

Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

stitchwitch
08-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Our paper today had a plethora of info on Fantasty Football. I'm ready man, I'm ready!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

zip
08-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Our paper today had a plethora of info on Fantasty Football. I'm ready man, I'm ready!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

http://piercn-amethyst.com/emot/w00t.gif

Haven't read much yet, but ESPN is on the tube around here about half the time. It seeps into my subconscious.

I'm claiming your term Fantasty when I set up our new thread to track the league. I love it! if it was inadvertent, please don't be offended. my new fingernails cause me to floop up words, too. ;) And I love Fantasty!

stitchwitch
08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Fantasty! Bwahhaahhaaahaaaa!! It must have been because I was baking muffins while I typed that!! Too funny. :roflhard:

zip
08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
;) I just don't know whether to pronounce it with a long a as in tasty, or a short a as in fantastic. maybe ah as in the British fantastic.

We're heading out to see The Avett Brothers, so it'll be LATE or tomorrow (instead of the promised 7 pm) when I come back to schedule the draft. Hopefully, someone will fill the empty 12th spot while I'm out. If not, then it's The Mo's cuz we must have an even number of teams to qualify as a league.

brookehanna
08-12-2007, 09:19 PM
woohoo I got the last spot. I wanted to play FF this year. I'm so glad there is a knitter group. This should be fun. I'm "Smacknits". :)

Jess_knit
08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Woo! Welcome to the league! :cheering:

zip
08-12-2007, 09:54 PM
woohoo I got the last spot. I wanted to play FF this year. I'm so glad there is a knitter group. This should be fun. I'm "Smacknits". :)

Thanks for joining! :cheering:

I just this moment set our draft status to ready. Yahoo hasn't told me when our draft will take place. I'm out the door for a few hours.

knotmaker
08-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Is everyone happy with the draft results?? I have a few players that I have to check up on but over all I am happy!

GO PATS!!

stitchwitch
08-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty happy. There's a couple I'll have to whip my handy dandy newspaper out to investigate further but overall I'm good. :woohoo:

JGM
08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I was pleasantly suprised to get Larry Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew AND Carson Palmer. My receivers are a little weak, but overall I'm happy with my team!

PaperGirl
08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
:woot: I got Peyton!

:woot: I got Rackers!

Im finding I need to redo my defense a bit. I got a few players I wasnt thrilled with, but the offense I DID get makes me very happy.

This is gonna be fun! :woohoo:

Jess_knit
08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I definitely got some of the players I wanted (Willie Parker!), but I'm not at all sure about my defensive players (or defenses, really...) I'll have to check my magazines.

zip
08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
ok, I'll probably screw myself with this bit of advice, but because individual defense players is new to most of you, you'd be wise to review your team. Yahoo's ranking of them is hosed.

*zip goes to work with a clear conscience, but a little ticked at her strong sense of fair play*

stitchwitch
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking I got ripped on a couple of mine. I've put in for a switch. Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing so maybe I'm trading really good defensive players for losers. :roflhard:

brookehanna
08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
OMG...I don't know how..but yahoo didn't draft a QB for me till round 7! I guess I didn't move enough QB's over :think:

Overall my team isn't too bad. I've got some good receivers and a couple decent RB's. This should be fun!

Jess_knit
08-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I think I need all new defensive players - half of mine didn't even play at all last year, and were..erm..not productive in the years before :rofl:

stitchwitch
08-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I think I need all new defensive players - half of mine didn't even play at all last year, and were..erm..not productive in the years before :rofl:

A couple of mine were like that too. I've put in for an add/drop of a few.

zip
08-14-2007, 12:54 AM
About four of the IDPs that Yahoo stuck us with across the league are acceptable. I'm turning all of mine. My SO participates in a fantasy forum that's frequented by one of the programmers and a couple of the experts. He hopes to learn what's up with those rankings. I was kinda shocked to see our results this morning.

stitchwitch
08-14-2007, 08:11 AM
OK, I feel safer now. I've booted all but one of mine. :hmm: I was kind of leery about admitting to it because I thought I was so far out of my element that I really had no idea what I was doing.

Jess_knit
08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
That's very strange! I'll be turning over all of mine, too.

Can't wait for the beginning of the season!

PaperGirl
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Eli and Peyton are against each other this weekend! :roflhard:

Ive got Peyton..whose got Eli?

Jess_knit
08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
I do :roflhard:

You all were busy while I slept in this morning..:zombie:

zip
08-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Eli and Peyton are against each other this weekend! :roflhard:

Ive got Peyton..whose got Eli?

I love Peyton. :heart: He's so cute, despite his fivehead.

Eli. :ick:

zip
08-15-2007, 03:42 PM
No one stepped up, so I created a pick'em league for us. Participating in a weekly pick'em helps me decide which of my fantasy players to play or bench, and vice versa. It's a basic group, no point spread or confidence points. Your worst week's score will be dropped from your total, which allows you to forget to pick one week. The deadline to pick all games is five minutes before the first game of the week, which sometimes falls on Thursday, so... pay attention. ;) The tiebreaker system entails your predicting the closest score of Monday's game, then Sunday night's game if necessary. Those are the only two games each week that you'll be asked to plug numbers for. Winner gets bragging rights.

In order to join the group, go to Pro Football Pick'em (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem), click the "Sign Up" button (or "Create or Join Group" if you are a returning user.) From there, follow the path to join an existing private group and when prompted, enter the following information:
Group ID#: 29906

Specs:
Group Name The Knitters
Maximum Teams 50
Confidence Points No
Spread No
Tiebreakers Yes
Start Week 1
Drop Scores Drop 1 score
Deadline 5 minutes before the first game of each week

edit: There are 49 remaining slots. You don't have to be in the fantasy league to participate.

stitchwitch
08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm still trying to de-mystify the FF stuff. It's a learning experience for me and to add on something else, well, my brain would explode. :passedout:

Jess_knit
08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks! I joined with the same team name as fantasy, Fighting Alpacas.

I don't like Peyton or Eli :ick:

zip
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm still trying to de-mystify the FF stuff. It's a learning experience for me and to add on something else, well, my brain would explode. :passedout:

ok, but picking helps it make sense... I have a friend who claims to nothing about baseball and is playing in one of my SO's fantasy baseball leagues. He's thirty-five games ahead of the second place team. :rofl:

Jess, how can you resist liking Peyton? I wanna knit him something soft to wear close to his skin. :eyebrow:

misha rf
08-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Gah! I've been so busy with other stuff that I forgot about the draft!! I'm going through it now...seeing who I want & don't....

JGM
08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I love Peyton. :heart: He's so cute, despite his fivehead.

Eli. :ick:

Jess_knit
08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Jess, how can you resist liking Peyton? I wanna knit him something soft to wear close to his skin. :eyebrow:

Hee! :roflhard:

His strange face is too much for me, and when you add in all his arm flapping and shouting before a play...:teehee:

stitchwitch
08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Dang it! I've been sucked in. I just registered for the pick 'em as the Spitting Llamas.
I will never get anything done now. :roflhard:

PaperGirl
08-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Im there too!

zip
08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Hee! :roflhard:

His strange face is too much for me, and when you add in all his arm flapping and shouting before a play...:teehee:

Happy feet! :rofl: I love his strange face. Seriously, I cannot resist a man who makes me laugh, which he does without hardly trying.

My beloved is long and lanky, too.

JGM
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Ok, I signed up, same name as Fantasy, English Throwers

zip
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
bumping the pick'em

I created a pick'em league for us. Participating in a weekly pick'em helps me decide which of my fantasy players to play or bench, and vice versa. It's a basic group, no point spread or confidence points. Your worst week's score will be dropped from your total, which allows you to forget to pick one week. The deadline to pick all games is five minutes before the first game of the week, which sometimes falls on Thursday, so... pay attention. ;) The tiebreaker system entails your predicting the closest score of Monday's game, then Sunday night's game if necessary. Those are the only two games each week that you'll be asked to plug numbers for. Winner gets bragging rights.

In order to join the group, go to Pro Football Pick'em (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem), click the "Sign Up" button (or "Create or Join Group" if you are a returning user.) From there, follow the path to join an existing private group and when prompted, enter the following information:

Specs:
Group Name The Knitters
Maximum Teams 50
Confidence Points No
Spread No
Tiebreakers Yes
Start Week 1
Drop Scores Drop 1 score

There are 45 remaining slots. You don't have to be in the fantasy league to participate. Come on and join us, all you slackers!

just teasin' about that slacker thing. :shifty:

stitchwitch
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Come on y'all, I know practically zilch about f-ball and I'm in. Heck, I throw the sports section out of the newspaper every day before I start reading the other sections. :roflhard: I'm learning though.

knotmaker
08-17-2007, 09:15 AM
:woohoo:Okay I'm in ... I am such a football junky that I will join just about everything!!

Shandeh
08-18-2007, 02:36 AM
I see that my sister's been in here. Someone chose "are you insane?" in the poll.

Actually, I was never here.

But, yes....you ARE insane!

zip
08-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Actually, I was never here.

But, yes....you ARE insane!

Got it. You were never here. :big obvious wink: If anyone asks, we never saw ya.

Everybody got that? My sister was never here.

Hey, sis. Takes one to know one. :-P Go sign up for the pick'em! Marvin loves football, so you have an advantage. He's welcome to join, too.

Shandeh
08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Believe me, you don't want me in here. I know NOTHING about football. Marvin was listening to a sports announcer on the radio yesterday, and I heard him refer to a right guard on a team.

I said, You mean, there really is a position called "Right Guard"?

See? I'm clueless. :roll:

zip
08-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Believe me, you don't want me in here. I know NOTHING about football. Marvin was listening to a sports announcer on the radio yesterday, and I heard him refer to a right guard on a team.

I said, You mean, there really is a position called "Right Guard"?

See? I'm clueless. :roll:

I didn't know there was a right guard position either, and I've been watching forever. Sounds like basketball to me. ;)

My gay friend, Tommy, claims to know nothing either and he spanks all of us in fantasy leagues. Sign up! :twisted:

zip
08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I have been remiss and neglected to thank all of you who've joined me for the football fun. So, THANK YOU! :cheering: Y'all do rock.

On Saturday, I participated in the live draft for my regular annual league and was chatting with those friends, one of whom lives in Tampa. She was astonished that knitters would play fantasy football. I was surprised that she was surprised - thought she was smarter than that. So, I played it very cool and told her that someone who can knit can figure out most anything. except sprinkler systems. :doh:

ALSO:

bumping the pick'em again

I created a pick'em league for us. Participating in a weekly pick'em helps me decide which of my fantasy players to play or bench, and vice versa. It's a basic group, no point spread or confidence points. Your worst week's score will be dropped from your total, which allows you to forget to pick one week. The deadline to pick all games is five minutes before the first game of the week, which sometimes falls on Thursday, so... pay attention. ;) The tiebreaker system entails your predicting the closest score of Monday's game, then Sunday night's game if necessary. Those are the only two games each week that you'll be asked to plug numbers for. Winner gets bragging rights.

Specs:
Group Name The Knitters
Maximum Teams 50
Confidence Points No
Spread No
Tiebreakers Yes
Start Week 1
Drop Scores Drop 1 score

There are 44 remaining slots. You don't have to be in the fantasy league to participate.

zip
08-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey!

You!

Don't make me call David Bowie (http://www.davidbowieisverydisappointedinyou.com/).

zip
09-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks to all of you who've joined me for the football fun. :cheering: Y'all do rock.

Tonight, I drafted in my fourth fantasy league.

ALSO:

bumping the pick'em again

Specs:
Group Name The Knitters
Maximum Teams 50
Confidence Points No
Spread No
Tiebreakers Yes
Start Week 1
Drop Scores Drop 1 score

There are 44 remaining slots. You don't have to be in the fantasy league to participate.

stitchwitch
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I didn't know there was a right guard position either, and I've been watching forever. Sounds like basketball to me. ;)

Nah, it's an offense team position. there's a left guard also. Each position is on either side of the center. Left guard/Center/Right Guard.

Lisa_H-Town
09-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey, bummer too late to join the FFL (wrapped up in my BB8, and haven't been checking here enough!), but signed up for the picks... already put my choices in, but know I have the option to change it as the week goes on... I look forward to this!! Figure if I am watching the game anyway, might as well have a vested interest! Thanks for setting this up! I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time, I will look at it as my pre-cursor to FFL next year!

brookehanna
09-06-2007, 12:03 PM
To everyone playing fantasy football or pick 'em: The season starts today. Make sure your picks are in before kick-off tonight for pick 'em.