PDA

View Full Version : Stick a Fork in Me, I am DONE!

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 04:10 AM
Hi! :waving:

Some of us over in the 1st Sweater KAL have been knitting a "simple" little summer top called TEMPTING.

Did I say simple? Sorry...don't want to mislead anyone! :wink:

Anyway, mine is DONE...and I was soooo waaaay ready for it to be done, I am just :eyes:

It was SUPREMELY BORING :passedout: from the cast on edge (in the round) up to the 13" length where the two sleeves are knit separately, both knit in the round, and then all are joined to start the yoke.

Here is where the pattern becomes aggravating. There were no diagrams and few words to help the knitter conceptualize how to join three items that were all knit in the round: sleeve 1, sleeve 2, and the 13" body. :eyes: Huh?

Once that is figured out...then knitting 266 st. in the round AGAIN for 4 add'l inches...AAARRRGH. Then the eyelet row, then 4 more rows, the bind off in 2x2 rib again. It is just enough to make a grown woman cry. Just sooo supremely monotonous and hard work, too. Literally hard w-o-r-k on the hands.

BostonBecca blazed the trail for us! She had to do some frogging because her 2x2 rib didn't align correctly when the sleeves and body were loaded up onto one big circ. She was gracious enough to post her issues:poke:...so...myself and others were forewarned...and I was able to tinker around with which stitches would be placed onto waste yarn and which stitches would load onto the yoke. Anyway, I know I am talking gibberish...but, anyone who has had the misery of joining this garment at the arm area to start the yoke knows what I am blabbing about. :help:

Well, it was knit with Stash yarn...two strands carried together made my gauge perfect. Two colors of cream that worked perfect together. The yarns were two different yarns, too, by the way.

Rowan "CALMER" which is 75% cotton/25% microfiber and
Lara "ENDLESS SUMMER" which is 100% Combed Cotton.

This summer top made my hands and thumbs ache.

But, I am done...stick a fork in me, I am DONE! :woot:

My DD looks adorable in it! And her DH loves it on her!
I was up til 4 am last night finishing it. We went to Shipwreck Beads this afternoon, and I wanted to give it to her when I was at her house.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2496.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2493.jpg

Jan in CA
08-05-2007, 05:21 AM
I"m sure it makes it all worth it when you see how much she loves it and how adorable she looks in it! It's gorgeous and so is she!

KnittingNat
08-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I think it's gorgeous and so is your DD:cheering::cheering::cheering: Looks really good on her:thumbsup:. Here it's too hot for knit tops in the summer... And i see you finally went to the beads store :teehee:

md21
08-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Nice sweater!

I think I need to go to sleep though because I thought the title of the thread was "STITCH a fork in me..." haha!

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Nice sweater!

I think I need to go to sleep though because I thought the title of the thread was "STITCH a fork in me..." haha!

:eyes: Me, too! Night! :waving:

lestrella
08-05-2007, 08:48 AM
As usual, excellent work!!! And your daughter looks very good on it.

Quiltlady
08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
The sweater looks great!! Your daughter looks a lot like you! Very pretty.:woohoo:

I was wondering...which yellow paint color have you decided on in the back ground?? I love to decorate but I HATE choosing paint colors. They never turn out the shade I expect.:wall: I'm in the process of choosing a turquoise color for our bathroom.:???:

PammieJR
08-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Wow! THe sweater AND daughter are beautiful!!!

I know you had a horrible time with it, but it came out FAB!

auburnchick
08-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Beautiful work!!!

:passedout:

rorygilmore
08-05-2007, 09:31 AM
That sweater is very pretty and your DD is so beautiful!

LeslieRR
08-05-2007, 09:47 AM
That sweater is absolutely gorgeous! Your daughter is lovely too!

newamy
08-05-2007, 11:20 AM
That is beautiful.

nonny2t
08-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Boy howdy, your dd is a dead ringer for you! The sweater looks sensational on her. Sorry you had so many problems. I can understand alignment issues. Anyway, you did a spectacular job and it is just gorgeous!

kitman
08-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow! good job there! Its so pretty! Your DD looks lovely in it.

MerigoldinWA
08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Beautiful job, and congratulations on completing it. :cheering::cheering: It may have been boring in the making, but it is not boring in the wearing. ;) Your daughter looks very nice in it. BTW, as everyone else has noted, your daughter is lovely.

Slim
08-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh my gosh, that is just beautiful! I love the pattern, but I can see what you mean about it being boring to knit. That's a lot of ribbing! Your daughter is lovely in it. Beautiful job.

Doodknitwit
08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
As another KHer said
"It may have been boring in the making, but it is not boring in the wearing. Your daughter looks very nice in it. BTW, as everyone else has noted, your daughter is lovely."

Ditto !! :poke: she's definitely your child . BEAUTIFUL she is and the top doesn't show well unless it is modeled fdoes it? :yay:

Ronda
08-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Am I the only one who can't see the pictures?

Krystal
08-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I cannot see the pics either...

:(

sue in canada
08-05-2007, 03:48 PM
That looks stunning on your beautiful daughter

Naiisie
08-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Wow that looks amazing! I want to be able to knit as well as you can, i still can't get through a project without dropping a stitch. Can't wait to see more of your stuff ~~

Indygirl
08-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Very nice! I agree with everyone else, you did a great job & your beautiful DD looks wonderful in it.:cheering:

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
The sweater looks great!! Your daughter looks a lot like you! Very pretty.:woohoo:

I was wondering...which yellow paint color have you decided on in the back ground?? I love to decorate but I HATE choosing paint colors. They never turn out the shade I expect.:wall: I'm in the process of choosing a turquoise color for our bathroom.:???:

Hi! That photo was taken at her house! She is a decorator, and everytime I go over there, she has paint samples plastered on her walls. She is getting to re-do her living/dining room...they live in an old Craftsman style home...and she has been ruminating about the shade of Italian Gold! I say make a decision already...but a decorator is their own worst customer! They can easily make decisions for others...but can't decide quickly for their own home sometimes! She has all her new living room and dining room furniture in place, as well as the area rugs. She is purchasing a major piece of art for the living room on Sept 1....and when it arrives, or is in the framing process...she is making her final decision about the paint. :shrug:

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Hi'ya Ronda! Everyone else seems to be able to load up the photos! Is your POP UP BLOCKER the problem? Why not ask Sheldon or Mason (knitting guy) what they think!

phisch
08-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Wow! That's so pretty and she looks just gorgeous in it. It was worth all the boring if you ask me :)

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all your complimentary words!

Yes, you are right...the pain was worth the gain, as the saying goes! :thumbsup:

However, I would not recommend this pattern to anyone. Try to find a similar pattern if you like this summer top.

I found the pattern directions to be very short on helpful hints for very critical areas (the joining of the sleeves to the body).

Short on helpful hints? Sorry, correction: there were NO HELPFUL HINTS.

It meant that one of my fellow KAL sisters has had to FROG :frog: and re-knit a lot of knitting. That just isn't fair. :frog:

A few simple words would have prevented a mis-alignment of the K2-P2 sequencing at the joining row.

I am not a designer, and I know that. Designers ARE knitters, aren't they??

dewdrops
08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Pretty daughter and pretty sweater!
Great work! :cheering:

sinistral_needler
08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
As a beginning knitter, I cannot imagine doing something so beautiful. :whoosh: We all start somewhere .. and it is an accomplishment to be able to knit such a nice sweater. Great job! Someday I may be able to do something like that (although I will try to remember that you said that the pattern was a pain!).

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 05:33 PM
As a beginning knitter, I cannot imagine doing something so beautiful. :whoosh: We all start somewhere .. and it is an accomplishment to be able to knit such a nice sweater. Great job! Someday I may be able to do something like that (although I will try to remember that you said that the pattern was a pain!).

Thank you so much for your compliments and kind words! :waving:

This sweater was a PITA...however, the pain was worth the gain. Now that it is done, much like giving birth/labor...you kinda just enjoy the baby...and forget about the strain and pain!

Suffice it to say, I have given birth to 5 children! You do forget how much it hurt! :thumbsup: So it goes with knitting, too!

redheadrachel
08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Oh my goodness, it looks gorgeous! The fit is so flattering, probably because of the ribbing. Sorry you didn't enjoy the process, but I have to say the finished results are simply breathtaking. Definitely very, very tempting :happydance:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh my goodness, it looks gorgeous! The fit is so flattering, probably because of the ribbing. Sorry you didn't enjoy the process, but I have to say the finished results are simply breathtaking. Definitely very, very tempting :happydance:

Thank you little redhead! :muah: You made my day! :muah:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey there! :waving:

If anyone wants to knit TEMPTING...I will help you, step by step, in a separate TEMPTING thread in KAL! After all, BostonBecca and I have trail-blazed the pattern! Why not share the information??!! It is a really easy pattern til you get to the "joining" of sleeves to body. But, I can walk ya' through it, I think!

There is no seaming! :woot:

Let me know!

dawnk777
08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, that is pretty and it looks good on your daughter. I'm working on a lacy dishcloth that is driving me crazy, although, knitting this morning, on a good night's sleep was easier than before bed, when I was tired and distracted by TV!

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow, that is pretty and it looks good on your daughter. I'm working on a lacy dishcloth that is driving me crazy, although, knitting this morning, on a good night's sleep was easier than before bed, when I was tired and distracted by TV!

Oooh yeah....been there, done that! :eyes:

Thanks for your compliments!

What lacy dishcloth are you working on? It sounds interesting! Lace CAN BE a challenge! :eyes:

auburnchick
08-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Now that it is done, much like giving birth/labor...you kinda just enjoy the baby...and forget about the strain and pain!

So, since you've probably forgotten the pain of the pattern, does this mean that you'll be knitting up one of these "babies" for me (your wanna be adopted daughter/Stash buddy)??

:flirt:

;)

ArtLady1981
08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
So, since you've probably forgotten the pain of the pattern, does this mean that you'll be knitting up one of these "babies" for me (your wanna be adopted daughter/Stash buddy)??

:flirt:

;)

:notworthy: So not worthy to be your momma! :heart::heart::heart:

But, I did offer this to the KH-ers who love this summer top. If you want to knit it, start a Thread in KAL called TEMPTING...and I will be your COACH...helping you through your labor pains! :teehee: Especially down towards the final phase, that darn joining of sleeves and body onto one long circ so that the yoke can be knit in the round as well!

How's that sound?

It really was an easy pattern...except for that joining part.
Maybe it won't be hard for others. It was for me. :eyes:

auburnchick
08-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh, I'm the one who's not worthy! I don't think I'll be at"tempting" this project any time soon. Classes will be keeping me busy for the next few months.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ladies you can help through the labor pains. ;)

momwolf
08-08-2007, 12:51 AM
:thud:Beautiful just beautiful :inlove: and your DD too :woohoo:

Raspberry61
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
The sweater is very sweet and feminine. I think the ribbon on the neckline is what makes it. Well done!

ArtLady1981
08-08-2007, 10:31 PM
The sweater is very sweet and feminine. I think the ribbon on the neckline is what makes it. Well done!

Thank you Raspberry61! :notworthy: I appreciate your complimentary words!

dreamsherl
08-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Wow, the sweater looks lovely and looks lovely on your DD.

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Wow, the sweater looks lovely and looks lovely on your DD.

Hi'ya Dreamsherl! :waving: Thanks a bunch!! :notworthy:

baronreads
08-09-2007, 03:57 AM
That sweater is very pretty and your DD is so beautiful!

DITTO!! TFS

KT120
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Simply breathtaking just like your daughter.

GiddyKnitter
08-09-2007, 10:51 AM
You look absolutely lovely worth all the hassel I say!!!

Jennifer N
08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Wow!
Maybe it was boring, but it turned out beautiful!
It looks wonderful on your daughter too!
:yay:

cecile77
08-09-2007, 02:36 PM
It sounds like you went through a LOT to get this sweater done. It was definitely worth it, she looks great in it. I'd make one for myself if it wasn't going to be such a pain to knit.

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
DITTO!! TFS

Thanks Julie! :muah:

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
It sounds like you went through a LOT to get this sweater done. It was definitely worth it, she looks great in it. I'd make one for myself if it wasn't going to be such a pain to knit.

Thanks Cecile! :notworthy:

By looking at the model sweater, it looks very easy, doesn't it? But, it's design concepts were really 'outside the box'. The sleeves and body were all knit 'in the round'...so...the attachment/join phase was really a brain teaser! If you didn't really really watch it...the K2 P2 sequencing for all 3 pieces wouldn't join 'in sync'. Ya really have to think abstracty to visualize the joining of these 3 pieces in the first place. The pattern is very lacking in useful directions. Fortunately for me, Boston Becca had already blazed the trail....and had posted the join 'issues' she encountered. She had to frog the yoke back down to the join row...and, last thing I heard, she still has 4 stitches that are all K4 in a row. I don't know what she will do about them.

This is why a KAL is so helpful. If everyone is working on the same sweater, we can share our boo-boos, problems, issues, questions, remedies, as well as our successes!

Fleurs
08-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Beautifull sweater on beautifull lady:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
08-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Beautifull sweater on beautifull lady:thumbsup:

Hi Fleurs! :waving: Thanks for commenting and your compliments!

BTW, I don't know if "Fleurs" is your given name, or your KH "handle"...but I just LOVE IT! :heart:

I love flowers, too!

Paulah
08-10-2007, 12:25 AM
it looks great

Mrs. D.
08-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Artlady,

I am probably about a little less than 1/2 way done with this sweater. I am working on the 1st 13 inches of just rib. I am probably on my 78th row. I am getting ready to move into the next part. I don't have the pattern here with me so I don't know exactly what that is but I am quite sure I will be calling on you for help. Did you start the KAL for this yet? Am I the only one attempting to tackle this. Yours is beautiful. I wish mines turns out as well.

SusanMarie1956
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I Love that little Paw Print!!!

Susan

Karrying Kolor
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Artlady,

Your DD's sweater is gorgeous, but then I saw this sweater and fell in love...http://www.interweaveknits.com/images/backissues/toc_sum07/wheatearcableyoke.jpg

The process between the two sweaters is almost identical and then the horror of your "Stick A Fork In Me..." statement stopped me cold. But I have to believe my salvation will be reaching the cable yoke to work! I am drawn to the sillouette and have to make it.

You've done such a fabulous job in pushing through the bordom and creating art...I only hope I can look to you for the will to go on when I glaze over at row bizziollion and finish with your level of flair! :cheering:

~K~

ArtLady1981
08-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Artlady,

I am probably about a little less than 1/2 way done with this sweater. I am working on the 1st 13 inches of just rib. I am probably on my 78th row. I am getting ready to move into the next part. I don't have the pattern here with me so I don't know exactly what that is but I am quite sure I will be calling on you for help. Did you start the KAL for this yet? Am I the only one attempting to tackle this. Yours is beautiful. I wish mines turns out as well.

Hi Mrs. D! :waving:

No one has opted for a TEMPTING KAL of its own. I probably scared them all off! :teehee:

I will be "off the grid" starting this Sunday, Aug 12 until Sunday, Aug 19. A wilderness vacation...no electricity, no internet, no nothin' except wind, air, and sun!

However, I will be happy to help you through the joining phase. The tricky part is aligning the K2/P2 sequencing for all three pieces that are knit "in the round".

When you get the body done, you will put the stitches on 4 different needles...with 14 for each side...and the other stitches evenly divided for the "front" and "back".

Then when you get the sleeves done...in the round...you will designate 14 stitches on the sleeve to be the "armpit"...which will be bound off (3 needle bind off style)...each sleeves 14 armpit stitches to the body's 14 armpit stitches.

Well, that is the rub. You have to pick which 14 so that the sequencing is right.

Like this (I am using dummy numbers)
Knit across 50 of the front body...knit 46 of sleeve #1...knit 50 across the back body...knit 46 of sleeve #2...for a total of 192 stitches. Join them and knit in the round for 5 more inches, etc.

The concept is :eyes: hard to grasp...

But, if you look down upon the sleeve...and visualize the 14 armpit stitches up against the wall...you will see the remaining 46 stitches as a big U. See the curve of this big U? That is the shape of the remaining sleeve stitches! The tips of the big U each meet the body, front and back! The bottom of the U is the curve around your arm.

So, after you have knit the 50 from the front body...you knit around that U shape (sleeve #1) 46 stitches...then the back body...the the U shape (sleeve#2) 46 stitches.

Here is the rub! When you are leaping from the end of the front body 50...if they end with K2...then you better be sure that the U for sleeve #1 begins with P2...and so forth.

Dont worry about the body, worry about the sequence of the K2 P2 along the U shape.

Phew! Print this...when you get to the joining of your sleeves and body, the setup for the yoke...you will get what I mean.

Let me know how things are going next Sunday! :thumbsup:

Hugs. :grphug:

Artlady

soobeeoz
08-11-2007, 11:41 PM
It's lovely, and suits your daughter very well. Well worth the aggravation, I'd say. :happydance:

ArtLady1981
08-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks Soobeeoz! :notworthy: I am so glad it is done! :woot:

Mrs. D.
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tips Artlady. After counting stitches and rows for the size I am making, I have about 12 more rows of the K2P2 to do then I will be on to the next part. I will have pics posted of my progress when you return.

Mrs. D.
08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Artlady,

I hope you had a very enjoyable trip. :yay:

Here is picture of my progress so far. You can click on the link below it to get a better look.

http://www.thecraftdivas.com/blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/img_0060.thumbnail.JPG

http://www.thecraftdivas.com/blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/img_0060.JPG

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi'ya Mrs.D! :waving: I love the color and the luster of your yarn! Thanks for sharing!

I am back from the mountains, and furiously trying to catch up on laundry and email! :eyes:

Keep me posted on your progress! :thumbsup: