PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Pie recipe

bailsmom
08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi all :waving: DH and I picked blueberries yesterday and have quite a bit!! I was wondering if anyone had any fabulous blueberry pie recipies or anything else that requires blueberries in them and wouldn't mind sharing with me and the rest of the world!!

Thanks!

victoriarose
08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I have one on my blog (Blue Breeze Pie). It is VERY good! Link is in my signature.

vaknitter
08-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Blueberry muffins, waffles, pancakes...

Pie and cobbler (southern thing) are both wonderful with vanilla ice cream. My recipes are at home so if nobody responds before I get home tonight I will write them out for you.

I'm going to have to check and see if our blueberries are out and take the hubby picking (he loves it when I take him fruit picking)

marykz
08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
blueberry picking is so fun!
We made a simple dessert with ours-
graham cracker pie shell
French Vanilla pudding mix
milk (for pudding mix)
blueberries!

mix up the pudding as per directions, fold in washed blueberries, pour into graham cracker pie shell, chill until set. garnish top with more blueberries.
Eat!

jhelanee
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Mmmm Fresh Blueberries :drool:

My two recepie contributions:

Blueberry Pie

Pie dough for a double crust (homemade is best, but purchased works)
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup hot water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Wash berries and place 3 1/2 cups into a large bowl. Combine remaining 1/2 cup of blueberries with sugar, salt, diluted cornstarch and hot water in a saucepan. Cook over low to medium heat until think and clear, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently and crushing berries. Add lemon juice and mix well. Pour cooked mixture over washed berries and stir gently to coat. Let stand until cool. Meanwhile, prepare crust if necessary. Once blueberry filling is cool, place in bottom crust and top with second crust. Seal the edges of the two crusts together and cut a steam vent if you are not ueing a pie bird. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 45 minutes. Let finished pie cool to room temperature before serving to set the filling. (you get blueberry soup otherwise). Great with vanilla ice cream.

Blueberry Sauce

2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
cold water

Mix cornstarch with just enough cold water to dissolve it completely. Set aside. Wash blueberries and combine with sugar in a saucepan. Cook over low to medium heat until berries are softened, 5-10 min, stirring frequently. As the sauce cooks, crush some berries to color and flavor the sauce but leave others whole for texture as you desire. Once berries are softened, add cornstarch/water mixture and stir continously until thickened. The finished consistance can by adjusted by adding more cornstarch (dissolved in water) to thicken further or plain water to thin.

I most frequently serve this sauce with pancakes and waffles, but it's good on ice cream and probably other things as well.

dreamsherl
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Try this:

Blueberry Pound Cake

This blueberry pound cake is baked in a tube pan.
INGREDIENTS:

1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pint fresh blueberries 2 c. frozen, thawed
PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Sift 2 cups flour, salt and baking powder together. Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture and beat.

Dredge berries in remaining flour. Gently fold floured berries into the batter. Grease and dust a tube pan with confectioner's sugar or flour; pour batter into pan. Bake for one hourand fifteen minutes, or until it tests done.
zSB(3,3)

candicane
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I love this one:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/300

bailsmom
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
WOW!! Thank you so much!!! I think we're going to have to freeze quite a bit, we had like 11 pounds of them!!! This is our 3rd year picking, it's more my DH's thing than mine, but he loves it so I go along for the ride.

I think its funny though, I don't think they taste like anything. Is that possible?? It's not like biting into a raspberry or a strawberry, those 2 are identifiable when you eat them, but a blueberry just doesn't taste like anything to me.....wonder what's wrong with me??? :??

Keep the recipes coming girls!! Oops, and guys! ;)

marykz
08-06-2007, 03:12 PM
WOW!! Thank you so much!!! I think we're going to have to freeze quite a bit, we had like 11 pounds of them!!!
don't forget- do not wash blueberries before freezing- it makes them more mushy- I think I read that at Kraft.com. (maybe you know this already) I lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and put the tray in the freezer. then when they are frozen I pop them into freezer bags. that way they don't clump up.

bailsmom
08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
don't forget- do not wash blueberries before freezing- it makes them more mushy- I think I read that at Kraft.com. (maybe you know this already) I lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and put the tray in the freezer. then when they are frozen I pop them into freezer bags. that way they don't clump up.

Yep! I've been doing exactly this all day!! Plus I made a blueberry coffee cake for DH. He'll be happy.